PDA

View Full Version : Crisp vs Patterson

Carolina Kenny
12-21-2007, 09:55 AM
Who would you rather have patrolling CF?

Although Crisp has been a more steady player over his career, would you agree that Patterson has a higher upside, plus, he would not cost us any players that we would have to trade.

Defensively and on the bases Patterson is good. It seems like he has been a underachiever at the plate. Can anyone recall a similair player that all of a sudden "got it" and changed his batting approach?

Is every player (like a Juan Uribe) doomed to repeat their failed batting approach over and over again?

balke
12-21-2007, 10:04 AM
There's not a huge difference. But, I've seen Corey play... he can't hit a high fastball.

If you throw only high fastballs to him you will get him out. I don't know why people throw anything else to him. He'd be much more frustrating to watch, because the upside is there but he'll never reach it.

So, in this battle Crisp wins... barely.

rdivaldi
12-21-2007, 10:06 AM
Why does Patterson have "upside"? He's never shown anything at any level except a 1 1/2 month burst 4 years ago. Pure Flubbie hype, if there is such a thing.

balke
12-21-2007, 10:13 AM
Why does Patterson have "upside"? He's never shown anything at any level except a 1 1/2 month burst 4 years ago. Pure Flubbie hype, if there is such a thing.

Upside being a 20+ hr season, a 40+ SB season, and an OBP. over .320 twice. He's got more tools than Luis Terrero. And they both suck regardless.

kraut83
12-21-2007, 10:21 AM
There's not a huge difference. But, I've seen Corey play... he can't hit a high fastball.

If you throw only high fastballs to him you will get him out. I don't know why people throw anything else to him. He'd be much more frustrating to watch, because the upside is there but he'll never reach it.

So, in this battle Crips wins... barely.

At least Coco Crips would finally be wearing the right colors if the Sox traded for him.

:redneck

D. TODD
12-21-2007, 10:22 AM
Why does Patterson have "upside"? He's never shown anything at any level except a 1 1/2 month burst 4 years ago. Pure Flubbie hype, if there is such a thing. He did play pretty well for the O's 2 years ago. Stole a ton of bases, hit decent for power, and made the highlights for taking away home runs a few times, but I agree nothing to get excited about. He is what he is!

Chicken Dinner
12-21-2007, 10:22 AM
Neither

Carolina Kenny
12-21-2007, 10:23 AM

For the number three draft pick in 1998 I agree he has been a major disappointment. The fact he was a overhyped Cub Bust is fun but he has been a disappointment in Baltimore as well.

IMO his upside is greater than the great Luis Terriblow based on at least some MLB success as a accomplished CF with base stealing skills.

His strike outs are amazingly high, and I guess my real question is if anybody can recall a similar player with such a high KO ratio, ever turning his career around.

I can't say I would enjoy a season of watching KO Corey unless he somehow was able to cut down his swing and lay off those high fastballs.

kraut83
12-21-2007, 10:26 AM
If you can get the Crisp of 04 or 05, then I would be all for him. I just think getting out of Boston would help revive his career.

Corey Patterson shouldn't even be considered.

balke
12-21-2007, 10:38 AM
For the number three draft pick in 1998 I agree he has been a major disappointment. The fact he was a overhyped Cub Bust is fun but he has been a disappointment in Baltimore as well.

IMO his upside is greater than the great Luis Terriblow based on at least some MLB success as a accomplished CF with base stealing skills.

His strike outs are amazingly high, and I guess my real question is if anybody can recall a similar player with such a high KO ratio, ever turning his career around.

I can't say I would enjoy a season of watching KO Corey unless he somehow was able to cut down his swing and lay off those high fastballs.

I think there are several instances, but I can't name one off the top of my head. IF he could hit 30/30 like Chris Young did, I guess noone would care about his K ratio.

Tragg
12-21-2007, 11:02 AM
Crisp is the better player. But the question is who is better for the price.
Patterson is free.
Crisp will cost a top prospect.
Maybe free is too expensive for Patterson. But a top prospect is way too expensive for Crisp. Crisp doesn't make the Sox contenders.
Remember, Crisp was acquired for ONE top prosepct. And that was when Crisp was coming off two straight huge offensive years. Now he's coming off two dismal offensive years, and th Sox are going to pay the same price for him? Please.

munchman33
12-21-2007, 11:51 AM
I'd rather have Crisp. But who knows with Patterson. If we're gonna go into the season with huge question marks with huge potential at key positions next year, then Patterson certainly fits the bill.

jabrch
12-21-2007, 01:21 PM
Owens for the league minimum and save the few million for something else.

skottyj242
12-21-2007, 02:13 PM
I just love it when Patterson strikes out(usually looking) and walks back to the dugout and does the stare back at the pitcher.

SoxNation05
12-21-2007, 03:32 PM
Crisp is the better player. But the question is who is better for the price.
Patterson is free.
Crisp will cost a top prospect.
Maybe free is too expensive for Patterson. But a top prospect is way too expensive for Crisp. Crisp doesn't make the Sox contenders.
Remember, Crisp was acquired for ONE top prosepct. And that was when Crisp was coming off two straight huge offensive years. Now he's coming off two dismal offensive years, and th Sox are going to pay the same price for him? Please.
They BoSox traded Andy Marte arguably the best prospect in their system at the time and the Sox have a very weak minor leagues, no one even compairs to Andy Marte in 05.

Big Hurt #35=HOF
12-21-2007, 06:43 PM
Corey would be booed for a while, his OBP=.304 last year - I dont see a whole lot of upside, never was a decent lead off hitter, not a good fit

Coco=no no -But I get a feeling we might see him if the Santana deal doesnt go through; I hate to see what we have to give up

TheVulture
12-22-2007, 03:55 PM

His K rate has actually been going down the last couple of years. 65 last year in 482 PA, I'd say that's at least league average these days. Definitely a HUGE improvement over 118 in 474 PA in 2005. To me, that could be a sign that his other numbers might improve over the next couple of years. Obviously, he's got a lot of tools, but it's hard to get over that .298 career OBP. He's only 28 next year - he seems like just the type of player to have a couple good years around the 30-34 range.

Juice16
12-22-2007, 04:20 PM
His K rate has actually been going down the last couple of years. 65 last year in 482 PA, I'd say that's at least league average these days. Definitely a HUGE improvement over 118 in 474 PA in 2005. To me, that could be a sign that his other numbers might improve over the next couple of years. Obviously, he's got a lot of tools, but it's hard to get over that .298 career OBP. He's only 28 next year - he seems like just the type of player to have a couple good years around the 30-34 range.

I was going to bring this up. He cut his K's in half to a very respectable number. I would much rather see Patterson in CF than Crisp.

Big Hurt #35=HOF
12-22-2007, 06:02 PM
Corey is a crap!!!! OBP not even .300 yuk! -STOP

roadrunner
12-24-2007, 02:13 PM

"only" 28?

This is the type of speculation that would keep us in the bottom of the division for many years. I group the "if healthy" based speculations in this category as well (pods, erstad). You can add the "if he pans out" based speculations as well (Anderson,Sweeney,Owens). This team needs some proven, healthy outfielders - period.

misty60481
12-24-2007, 02:36 PM
We have had the names--Pierre, Crisp, Lofton, Willets, Patterson, Stewart, Cameron, Winn, tossed at us yet it seems like there is something wrong with every one, yet there all better than Owens. Why dont we put all there names in a hat and draw one and try to sign him ? I still think for 1 or 2 year gap Patterson is best.

roadrunner
12-24-2007, 02:58 PM
We have had the names--Pierre, Crisp, Lofton, Willets, Patterson, Stewart, Cameron, Winn, tossed at us yet it seems like there is something wrong with every one, yet there all better than Owens. Why dont we put all there names in a hat and draw one and try to sign him ? I still think for 1 or 2 year gap Patterson is best.

If we had two other guys off that list, then patterson would be okay as the fourth/fifth outfielder. While you try and clump Patterson in with the other names, he is obviously the worst of that group. You might be surprised at how decent and consistent Stewart and Winn have been over the course of their careers.

jabrch
12-24-2007, 03:20 PM
Corey is a crap!!!! OBP not even .300 yuk! -STOP

OBP is not everything...Chris Young is going to the HOF with a sub .300 OBP.

jabrch
12-24-2007, 03:21 PM
yet there all better than Owens.

First off, your grammar is atrocious. Second - you are wrong.

Big Hurt #35=HOF
12-24-2007, 11:20 PM

SOX need some OBP guys, and a true lead off hitter.

Corey=crap was the bottom line, and Young better improve his OBP in that lead off spot. HOF indeed.....

balke
12-26-2007, 08:34 AM

Hahahahahahahahaha ha ha.