PDA

View Full Version : Source: Konerko not available in trade talks

Sockinchisox
12-20-2007, 05:36 PM
An LA times staff writer for the Angels was told by a White Sox source that Konerko is not available in trade talks. The SF Chronicle also had a blurb saying the White Sox plan to keep Konerko.

http://www.latimes.com/sports/baseball/mlb/angels/la-spw-angelqa21dec21,1,4202642.story?track=rss&ctrack=1&cset=true

Konerko, according to a White Sox source, is not available, and even if he was, it's highly unlikely the Angels would still have interest in him. They no longer need a designated hitter -- corner outfielders Vladimir Guerrero and Garret Anderson will rotate through the DH spot -- and they expect first baseman Casey Kotchman to mature into a 20-homer, 90-RBI hitter.

The Chronicle blurb: http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2007/12/19/SPKDU0VCB.DTL

As for third basemen, baseball people say the trade market remains tight. The Seattle Mariners, who might have shopped Adrian Beltre in a deal for pitching, would have less need with the impeding signing of free- agent starter Carlos Silva. The White Sox might deal Joe Crede, who is coming off back surgery (but not first baseman Paul Konerko, whom the Sox plan to keep). Third baseman Morgan Ensberg became a free agent when the Padres declined to offer him a contract last week.

Frater Perdurabo
12-20-2007, 05:51 PM
Any player is available for the right price.

KW would be foolish to try shopping PK around; making it obvious that he's available would diminish his value.

santo=dorf
12-20-2007, 05:53 PM
Any player is available for the right price.

KW would be foolish to try shopping PK around; making it obvious that he's available would diminish his value.
Give it a rest already.

:deadhorse:

Frater Perdurabo
12-20-2007, 05:54 PM
Give it a rest already.

:deadhorse:

So now when I make any comment whatsoever about Paulie, I'm beating a dead horse?

:kukoo:

santo=dorf
12-20-2007, 05:57 PM
So now when I make any comment whatsoever about Paulie, I'm beating a dead horse?

:kukoo:
So Kenny should never shop around a player because it diminishes his value?

:kukoo: back at ya'

HITMEN OF 77
12-20-2007, 07:06 PM
This is the best news all day, so far.

Frater Perdurabo
12-20-2007, 07:39 PM
So Kenny should never shop around a player because it diminishes his value?

:kukoo: back at ya'

Saying "no" to an offer of a trade only means that KW doesn't like the package that was offered in return.

If KW was going around and telling numerous other GMs that "Paul Konerko is available," those other GMs likely would wonder why the Sox would want to get rid of him and might lead them to think there was something wrong. That definitely would lower his trade value.

Pro sports is filled with examples of management saying one thing and then doing another. The fact that a reporter wrote that Paulie was not being made available only signals that there were indeed at least preliminary, informal talks about Paulie.

If KW gets an offer that "knocks his socks off" he would be stupid not to do a deal.

When a player is not traded, all that means is that the team who has him presently values his more than any other team.

Every player is available for the right price. So, unless and until KW gets an offer equal to or greater than the value KW assigns to Paulie, he will not be dealt.

Chicken Dinner
12-21-2007, 09:58 AM
After the Grimsley report, can you really believe the LA Times?

SBSoxFan
12-21-2007, 05:17 PM
No - I meant obligation. We are obligated to follow West (and company)'s rules. That's it - there are no rights. Yes - it is a prvilege that West extends to us also - but it comes with obligations, that if we do not comply with, will result in...well...bad stuff.

Ah, ok. Thanks for clarifying.

So, anyway, the latest quotes from KW, which have been posted elsewhere on this site, confirm the title of this thread. Konerko is not being shopped, and KW thinks it would be difficult to make the Sox better with Konerko gone.

Brian26
12-22-2007, 01:17 AM
As for Konerko, I don't know why anyone thought he was on the market anyways.

Because he's possibly the most marketable, affordable piece that the Sox can offer for young talent right now. He also plays a position that is considered one of the two easiest positions on the field to fill.

Konerko's my favorite Sox player, and I'd hate to see him go. However, I see the logic in trying to get a return on the investment before his numbers start declining.

WhiteSox5187
12-22-2007, 07:17 PM
Because he's possibly the most marketable, affordable piece that the Sox can offer for young talent right now. He also plays a position that is considered one of the two easiest positions on the field to fill.

Konerko's my favorite Sox player, and I'd hate to see him go. However, I see the logic in trying to get a return on the investment before his numbers start declining.
I just don't think that trading Konerko for young talent would be consistent with the moves that Kenny has made (or tried to make) this off season. Why trade Konerko for young talent when we traded a young pitcher (28) for a 33 old proven short stop?

Brian26
12-22-2007, 08:13 PM
I just don't think that trading Konerko for young talent would be consistent with the moves that Kenny has made (or tried to make) this off season. Why trade Konerko for young talent when we traded a young pitcher (28) for a 33 old proven short stop?

When I say young talent, I mean major league ready guys (ie Kotchman, Figgins) that could come in and help contribute immediately, but maybe aren't big name stars making big time money.

I don't think Kenny Williams will ever want to rebuild in the traditional sense. He doesn't have the patience for it, and he's said this.

Frontman
12-22-2007, 11:17 PM
Konerko is also coming close to having a full NTC based on his time with the Sox. That being said, if anyone was listening today to "White Sox weekly" The Ranger covered this pretty well.

Kenny never said Paulie was untouchable. What he said was that they weren't actively trying to move him, and he doesn't see how any other team could put together a package that would make moving Paulie a good thing to improve the White Sox chances.

So, in the sense that Paulie's NTC would kick in this season I can see where the talk started; but Kenny's recent comments make that possibility seem far off now.

drewcifer
12-22-2007, 11:25 PM
Konerko is also coming close to having a full NTC based on his time with the Sox. That being said, if anyone was listening today to "White Sox weekly" The Ranger covered this pretty well.

Kenny never said Paulie was untouchable. What he said was that they weren't actively trying to move him, and he doesn't see how any other team could put together a package that would make moving Paulie a good thing to improve the White Sox chances.

So, in the sense that Paulie's NTC would kick in this season I can see where the talk started; but Kenny's recent comments make that possibility seem far off now.

He should be shopping him. We need the help.

voodoochile
12-22-2007, 11:32 PM
He should be shopping him. We need the help.

No, he should be doing exactly what he is doing, saying PK is untouchable and driving up his price. If anyone really wants him, they can make a knock KW's socks off offer if not, the Sox are set at 1B for the next several years, and that's okay.

drewcifer
12-22-2007, 11:44 PM
No, he should be doing exactly what he is doing, saying PK is untouchable and driving up his price. If anyone really wants him, they can make a knock KW's socks off offer if not, the Sox are set at 1B for the next several years, and that's okay.

What's the difference between what I said and you?

KW is "claiming" he's untouchable.

Fine.

You and I both agree, he can be moved for the right price.

Either way, he shouldn't be shopping him by making that statement.

"Oh, he's not touchable." "Really - Well, I'll give you THIS!"

:rolleyes:

Kenny tries to trade like he's 5 sometimes. That's not going to work.

voodoochile
12-23-2007, 12:00 AM
What's the difference between what I said and you?

KW is "claiming" he's untouchable.

Fine.

You and I both agree, he can be moved for the right price.

Either way, he shouldn't be shopping him by making that statement.

"Oh, he's not touchable." "Really - Well, I'll give you THIS!"

:rolleyes:

Kenny tries to trade like he's 5 sometimes. That's not going to work.

The more available any commodity is, the lower the offers are for it. That's just basic economics.

In addition, maybe you and KW simply disagree and he doesn't want to trade PK at all given his production and his cost.

Factor in some JR loyalty and it would take a huge offer for the Sox to trade PK, IMO.

Finally, what good would it do for PK's mindset approaching this coming season to feel his name is being thrown around in trade rumors? Nothing to gain there at all, but you might mess with PK's head and drive down his value if he gets off to a crappy start because he is distracted by his name constantly being thrown around by the press as a guy about to be traded. Even if the Sox don't end up trading him, for them to have any chance at all in 2008, PK simply has to perform up to his career averages and again, that means having his brain in the game and not on other things...

drewcifer
12-23-2007, 12:02 AM
Finally, what good would it do for PK's mindset approaching this coming season to feel his name is being thrown around in trade rumors?

Don't have another 07.

Nobody is untouchable. He's not THAT good. Nobody is on this team.

Frontman
12-23-2007, 12:03 AM
That's a good point Voodoochile, as I think that played a huge part in Mark Buehrle's performance this season. Until the deal was done, I don't think Mark had his best stuff (sans that night in April) until after he had a solid contract. A player's mindset plays a HUGE part in his performance.

drewcifer
12-23-2007, 12:06 AM
That's a good point Voodoochile, as I think that played a huge part in Mark Buehrle's performance this season. Until the deal was done, I don't think Mark had his best stuff (sans that night in April) until after he had a solid contract. A player's mindset plays a HUGE part in his performance.

You would be a players dream GM.

Frontman
12-23-2007, 10:21 AM
You would be a players dream GM.

No, I wouldn't. I wouldn't of tolerated Brian Anderson, Brandon McCarthy, or Jerry Owen's performances for long. I would be a sore pain in the rear.

But what I would be is that as soon as rumors began, I would get wth the player in question and quash the rumor mill. Work out the deal as quickly as possible, and if the deal can't get done; I'd move the player as soon as possible. The whole damn team doesn't benefit from this type of stuff.

kittle42
12-23-2007, 11:23 AM
No, I wouldn't. I wouldn't of tolerated Brian Anderson, Brandon McCarthy, or Jerry Owen's performances for long. I would be a sore pain in the rear.

But what I would be is that as soon as rumors began, I would get wth the player in question and quash the rumor mill. Work out the deal as quickly as possible, and if the deal can't get done; I'd move the player as soon as possible. The whole damn team doesn't benefit from this type of stuff.

Who is Jerry Owen?

BadBobbyJenks
12-23-2007, 01:32 PM
Who is Jerry Owen?

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!