PDA

View Full Version : Dye vs Fukudome

Carolina Kenny
12-20-2007, 07:35 AM
Who do you think will have better stats this year?

cws05champ
12-20-2007, 07:51 AM

Depends on what you mean by better stats. I think Fukudome may have better OBP and more steals but Dye will supply more power and RBI's. I think they are two different to really compare. Despite what you have read, Fukudome will not be a power hitter in the big leagues, he'll probablt be 14-18 HR guy.

PatK
12-20-2007, 09:16 AM
I see Fukudome putting up numbers similar to the Gooch in '05, with a higher OBP.

Defensively, we'll have to see how his arm has recovered.

RedHeadPaleHoser
12-20-2007, 09:18 AM
The F bomb, only because no one in MLB knows him.

Defensively, let's see how great he is when that setting sun hits the grandstands....oh wait, that's why the Cubs are so bad, all those day games they play. I forgot.

Chicken Dinner
12-20-2007, 09:40 AM
Fukudome has never seen MLB pitching. You have to go with Dye on this one.

Optipessimism
12-20-2007, 10:30 AM
Dye without question. Fukudome came here with a rep about great OBP numbers, not power like Dye has shown since '05, and he's adjusting to a new league and a new game. As long as Dye is healthy he'll have a much better year.

munchman33
12-20-2007, 11:22 AM
Dye will have a better numbers season.

Given age, ability, injury history, contract years and salary, etc., I'd probably prefer to have Fukudome though.

Walkman
12-20-2007, 12:37 PM

Troll.

Foulke You
12-20-2007, 12:52 PM
Dye will probably have better power numbers but Fukudome might have more hits and a better OBP. They are two different type of players though so it is hard to make a comparison.

Billy Ashley
12-20-2007, 01:11 PM
Nate Silver analyzed his stats form Japan and suggested a career path very similar to JD Drew, thatís a good thing assuming the Fukedome can stay healthy.

Carolina Kenny
12-20-2007, 01:42 PM
Troll.

You are wrong walkman I'm no troll. I was born on the same day as Minnie Minoso and my nickmame is Paco, for the amazing Noberto (Paco) Martin. Before you start flinging insults, think twice.

I just was wondering with all the Fukadome fawning if anyone realizes we already have a RF on the Sox who actually has a MLB track record including a World Series MVP.

That being said I would not have been opposed to moving Dye to LF and putting a younger (supposedly Gold Glove Fielder) in RF.

DumpJerry
12-20-2007, 02:28 PM
Dye was playing hurt all last season. IIRC, it was one of his Quads that was never given a chance to heal fully from being strained early in the season. He should be fine this season now that he has had time to rest it.

If we had an injury situation last season like we had in the previous several years, we would have easily made the playoffs, by the way.

Fukumdome is an unproven quantity. He will need to adjust to MLB pitching (not the other way around) and the 162 game schedule. Remember how in '05, Ozzie had to rest Iguchi in August and September for the playoffs because of the number of games being played? The Japanese schedule is, I think, around 132 games.

chisox77
12-20-2007, 02:47 PM
I'll go with JD. He'll bounce back strong.

:cool:

slavko
12-20-2007, 05:38 PM
That's us, the lovable, huggy, feel good White Sox. Any other cruel, heartless team with an RF down on the farm would have seen that JD was on the downside and traded him for prospects. I take comfort in that we did the right thing.

gobears1987
12-20-2007, 05:41 PM
Even if they put up comparable numbers. Remember that Fukudome will be facing the easy pitching of the NL Central and Dye will be going against the monsters of the AL Central.

SoxNation05
12-20-2007, 05:42 PM
So hypathetically, if the Cubs offered us Fukodome (filling a leadoff hole) for Dye would you do it?

MarySwiss
12-20-2007, 05:55 PM
So hypathetically, if the Cubs offered us Fukodome (filling a leadoff hole) for Dye would you do it?
Nope, for a reason mentioned earlier. He's an unknown quantity. We know what we have in Dye--and what we have is damn good.
Don't get me wrong; Fukudome talks a good ballgame. I was impressed that he went with the Flubs for less money because he'd be able to play his position. But the proof is in the pudding--to quote one of my mom's favorite sayings.

We'll see.

JorgeFabregas
12-20-2007, 06:21 PM
Comparing these players is silly, but I'm not sure that Dye IS a known quantity. He's a wildly inconsistent player--mostly because of injuries.

Nellie_Fox
12-21-2007, 12:07 AM
I was born on the same day as Minnie MinosoThat may well make you the oldest poster on WSI!

Carolina Kenny
12-21-2007, 09:40 AM
That may well make you the oldest poster on WSI!

Sorry, I mean the same day of the year. Only Minnie's dear departed Momma knows how old he really is. (maybe Fidel Castro knows.)

tick53
12-22-2007, 10:15 AM
It depends on if Fukudome becomes "Western Lazy" like they say happened to other Pacific Rim players. Dye is a proven vet but he's not as young as he used to be and he's not the greatest outfielder to ever lived. I hope Williams improves the team like he said he was going to so guys like like Dye don't come to camp with a chip on their shoulder.

Brian26
12-22-2007, 11:44 AM

No. Fukodome hasn't played a game of major league baseball yet. For that reason, I wouldn't say he's equal to what Dye can provide offensively to this team.

Brian26
12-22-2007, 11:46 AM
I hope Williams improves the team like he said he was going to so guys like like Dye don't come to camp with a chip on their shoulder.

I said this in another post earlier in the week, but part of me hopes the Sox, collectively, have a huge chip on their shoulder this year. The Sox seem to play the best when they have something to prove, as they did in 2005.

jabrch
12-22-2007, 01:05 PM

http://www.bbc.co.uk/humber/content/images/2005/10/03/grammar_police_car_203x152.jpg

soxfanreggie
12-22-2007, 02:24 PM
For as much as we pay Dye, I expect a better year than he had last year. 28 HRs isn't bad, but the .254 BA, 78 RBIs, and .317 OBP were not to my ling one bit. He had a solid Sept., so I hope he can take that into Spring Training and play at the level (or close to it) that he did in '05.

Analyzing our needs...we do need a lead-off hitter. Fukudome is also 3 years younger, and I would probably classify Dye as an "old" 34. His prior history of injuries has me worried. I can't see him playing past 37 or 38 (if he does, good for him).

As much as I like JD, I would seriously have to condsider this deal if it were ever true.

sullythered
12-23-2007, 01:34 PM
My guess for JD is around .285 30 and 90. I don't think Fukudome will put up those kind of power numbers, but he'll steal some bases. These guys aren't really comparable. Too different.

Billy Ashley
12-23-2007, 01:46 PM
Bill Jamesí projection system has Dye at .265/.336/.495 with 29 home runs and 88 RBIs. This would of course be a solid year but a far cry from what the white sox got from him in 2006 (which given his career line looks like a fluke year).

Earlier I posted that Nate Silver believes Fukudome to be very similar to JD Drew, who has a career OPS just a tick under .900 (and is mostly OBP driven).

Given that there is no major league data available I find it difficult to believe that the White Sox would trade Dye for Fukudome. However, if Fukudome could play center at an acceptable level he would have been a nice fit for CF given his OBP skills that would fill in nicely in the 1 or 2 hole (though the OF defense would be pretty bad).