PDA

View Full Version : Probably a fake rumor but Buehrle to the Reds?

Rockabilly
12-19-2007, 07:42 PM
http://www.baltimoresun2.com/talk/showthread.php?t=128332&highlight=Buehrle

no way KW trades Buehrle plus i thought he had a no trade clause for the 1st year

itsnotrequired
12-19-2007, 07:46 PM
Buehrle will surely waive his no trade clause to play on a last place team in a hitter's park. He probably wants more at-bats.

:rolleyes:

Big Hurt #35=HOF
12-19-2007, 07:46 PM
Stop it please!!!

mccoydp
12-19-2007, 08:39 PM
Man, there's some crazy **** out there, huh?

Can't wait until opening day.

spawn
12-19-2007, 09:42 PM
Yeah...KW gives Buehrle a contract extension so he can trade him in the offseason. That's brilliant. When do Pitchers and catchers report?:rolleyes:

DumpJerry
12-19-2007, 09:47 PM
Rock, really now. This is not a legit rumor by any stretch of the imagination. It is a posting on a message board for crying out loud.

We're still waiting for your Konerko to Arizona deal to get announced.

Rockabilly
12-19-2007, 09:49 PM
Rock, really now. This is not a legit rumor by any stretch of the imagination. It is a posting on a message board for crying out loud.

We're still waiting for your Konerko to Arizona deal to get announced.

Why dont you get of my back did I say that Az deal was going to go down.. As for this Buehrle rumor iI said it was fake... If you dont want to see it don't look

soxtalker
12-19-2007, 09:59 PM
Forget the substance of the rumor for the moment. One interesting comment in the baltimore sun blog was something to the effect that KW was so "wacky and unpredictable" that it might be possible. That's not the first time I've read that sort of comment about KW recently from someone outside this area. That might not be such a bad image.

itsnotrequired
12-19-2007, 10:06 PM
Forget the substance of the rumor for the moment. One interesting comment in the baltimore sun blog was something to the effect that KW was so "wacky and unpredictable" that it might be possible. That's not the first time I've read that sort of comment about KW recently from someone outside this area. That might not be such a bad image.

It is only possible if Buehrle agrees. KW could arrange whatever "wacky and unpredictable" trade he wants but if Buehrle doesn't agree, it is all pointless.

If KW is right now spending his time figuring out how he can convince Buehrle to waive his no-trade clause, then KW should be shot.

soxfanreggie
12-19-2007, 10:20 PM
He is reporting some information found on a message board. He even disclaimed it was probably fake. I don't mind that he's trying to be informative.

voodoochile
12-19-2007, 10:41 PM
I heard this deal got nixed when the GM for the Reds got an e-mail telling him Mark Buehrle had some Native American blood in him and decided he couldn't hire anyone but a Great American to play in their ballpark....

SoxNation05
12-19-2007, 10:47 PM
He is reporting some information found on a message board. He even disclaimed it was probably fake. I don't mind that he's trying to be informative.
He is reporting from a MESSAGE BOARD. I can say the Sox are trading Brian Anderson and David Aardsma for Johan Santana. Anything can be said in a message board. To say that he was being informative is just ridiculous his information is just irrelevant, inaccurate and bogus.

doublem23
12-19-2007, 10:48 PM
I heard that the owner of the Tigers has been reading WSI's message boards and was so moved that he wants to offer his entire team for a package of Carlos Quentin, Jerry Owens, a free Chicago style hot dog, and a picture with the World Series trophy.

voodoochile
12-19-2007, 10:50 PM
I heard that the owner of the Tigers has been reading WSI's message boards and was so moved that he wants to offer his entire team for a package of Carlos Quentin, Jerry Owens, a free Chicago style hot dog, and a picture with the World Series trophy.

Okay, but no churros... I draw the line at giving him any churros...

SoxNation05
12-19-2007, 10:52 PM
I heard the Sox are going to decline because Jerry Owens was too valuable to the Sox.

Noneck
12-19-2007, 10:55 PM
Maybe he would give up his no trade clause to play for Johnnie Baker. Yea if he was kicked in the head during the offseason.

Tragg
12-19-2007, 11:05 PM
There may be some basis. Kenny calls and asks if player X is available. The Reds say , sure for Mark Beuhrle. Kenny says no thanks.
There it is - they talked about MB for player X.

Nellie_Fox
12-20-2007, 12:02 AM

I heard the Sox are going to decline because Jerry Owens was too valuable to the Sox.The word around here is that the deal fell through because the Sox were out of celery salt for the hot dog.

DumpJerry
12-20-2007, 06:33 AM
The pic of The Trophy is a deal breaker. They have to earn it, something we recently learned they cannot accomplish.

jsg-07
12-20-2007, 08:32 AM
The word around here is that the deal fell through because the Sox were out of celery salt for the hot dog.

No, it was actually because Kenny got upset and took the deal off the table when the tigers said they wanted Ketchup on the Hot Dog.

Man, Kenny is so stubborn, No GM's are ever going to deal with him anymore.

skottyj242
12-20-2007, 08:41 AM
Maybe he would give up his no trade clause to play for Johnnie Baker. Yea if he was kicked in the head during the offseason.

BURN!

thedudeabides
12-20-2007, 08:46 AM
No, it was actually because Kenny got upset and took the deal off the table when the tigers said they wanted Ketchup on the Hot Dog.

Man, Kenny is so stubborn, No GM's are ever going to deal with him anymore.

You can call him stubborn, but I say it's pride. Really, ketchup? That's a deal breaker.

jsg-07
12-20-2007, 09:05 AM
You can call him stubborn, but I say it's pride. Really, ketchup? That's a deal breaker.

Yeah but C'mon, The hot dog's agent is Scott Boras so we are just going to lose him in the off season anyway. Kenny needs to put his pride aside and start thinking of the team.

fquaye149
12-20-2007, 09:15 AM
Think of how tricky it is to try to shp a player with a no-trade clause.

The mere act of running the trade by him will probably alienate him...

Tekijawa
12-20-2007, 09:45 AM
Carlos Sylva just signed a $40M/4 Year contract... Buehrle is untouchable because of this...

itsnotrequired
12-20-2007, 11:03 AM

Buehrle would leave the planet, surely to never return.

areilly
12-20-2007, 12:58 PM

If I were a pro athlete (which I'm not), and if I had a no-trade clause (which I don't), and were on a team this like that had Plans A - L fall through after all the puffing and posturing my boss did about how great he was going to make my team, I'd probably at least be open to moving to a better situation.

areilly
12-20-2007, 01:00 PM
Carlos Sylva just signed a $40M/4 Year contract... Buehrle is untouchable because of this...

Actually, the price to pry Buerhle loose from the Sox just went through the roof.

Mohoney
12-20-2007, 07:44 PM
If I were a pro athlete (which I'm not), and if I had a no-trade clause (which I don't), and were on a team this like that had Plans A - L fall through after all the puffing and posturing my boss did about how great he was going to make my team, I'd probably at least be open to moving to a better situation.

Especially if I get an extra $19 million to do it.

tick53
12-22-2007, 09:35 AM
Correct me if I'm wrong but didn't Williams tell Buehrle during the contract negotiations that he intended to make the team a lot better during the off season? So far I haven't seen much. If Williams doesn't live up to his end of the bargain, I wouldn't be surprised to see Mark waive his no trade contract.
I realize that we are still in the offseason but a lot of the big fish have been reeled in already and so far Kenny has been quiet.

SoxNation05
12-23-2007, 12:00 PM
Correct me if I'm wrong but didn't Williams tell Buehrle during the contract negotiations that he intended to make the team a lot better during the off season? So far I haven't seen much. If Williams doesn't live up to his end of the bargain, I wouldn't be surprised to see Mark waive his no trade contract.
I realize that we are still in the offseason but a lot of the big fish have been reeled in already and so far Kenny has been quiet.
I'm sure if there was a situation in which he can go home to St. Louis I'm sure he would waive.

btrain929
12-23-2007, 12:34 PM

Then you must be blind.

Juan Uribe upgraded to Orlando Cabrera.
Ryan Bukvich upgraded to Scott Linebrink.
Scott Podsednik/Andy Gonzalez upgraded to Carlos Quentin.
Alex Cintron upgraded to Alexei Ramirez.

Are we in a position to win 110 games? No.
Has he made the team better this offseason? Absolutely.
Is KW done making deals? Hopefully not.

kittle42
12-23-2007, 01:36 PM
Then you must be blind.

Ugh. You know the implication was making the team a contender, not making slight upgrades overall.

A. Cavatica
12-23-2007, 01:52 PM
Then you must be blind.

Jon Garland upgraded to Gavin Floyd.

EMachine10
12-23-2007, 03:07 PM
Ugh. You know the implication was making the team a contender, not making slight upgrades overall.

Every GM anticipates making his team a title contender.

One player doesn't make a difference. Signing Torii Hunter does not make us an automatic contender. He's one player. Is that position an area of need? Absolutely, but plugging one hole, and making one big splash doesn't always right the train. He's made upgrades in several areas, and as said before, he may not be finished. I would have loved to see him sign Hunter, or somebody like that, but even if he did, I wouldn't be strutting around talking about how good we looked coming into the season. We only looked better in CF.

This whole GM argument is a tough one to make. It seems as though some people think that being a GM is easy, and you can throw some money at people and have them come here, or think the MLB is played out like a video game where you can make trades and signings for whomever you like. Halfway through the year maybe we can say, hey, player x that we got in the offseason isn't quite working out - maybe that wasn't a great move. For now though, I take all this in stride, and wait to see how it plays out.

btrain929
12-23-2007, 03:38 PM

None of those upgrades would I consider "slight."

champagne030
12-23-2007, 04:23 PM
None of those upgrades would I consider "slight."

tCQ might be a downgrade, as well as, Alexei. I consider Linebrink the only significant upgrade because Cabrera cost us a significant downgrade in the starting rotation.

gogosox16
12-23-2007, 05:59 PM
tCQ might be a downgrade, as well as, Alexei. I consider Linebrink the only significant upgrade because Cabrera cost us a significant downgrade in the starting rotation.
I'm just wondering how CQ could be a downgrade from a guy who was hurt half the year and really struggled at what hes good at and lost his leadoff spot to Jerry Owens

btrain929
12-23-2007, 06:07 PM
I'm just wondering how CQ could be a downgrade from a guy who was hurt half the year and really struggled at what hes good at and lost his leadoff spot to Jerry Owens

Thank you.

Daver
12-23-2007, 06:17 PM
Then you must be blind.

No one knows if Ramirez is an upgrade over Cintron, he has never played an MLB game.

btrain929
12-23-2007, 06:25 PM
No one knows if Ramirez is an upgrade over Cintron, he has never played an MLB game.

OK, then I'll "go out on a limb" and say he'll be an upgrade over Cintron. Hell, I think if we bring up Bourgeois, he'd be a significant upgrade over Cintron.

DoItForDanPasqua
12-23-2007, 07:01 PM
Can't wait until opening day.

Only 98 Days 18 Hours 4 Minutes and 2 Seconds.

champagne030
12-23-2007, 07:42 PM

Thank you.

Well, tCQ batted .214 with an OBP of .298. That's a downgrade if he duplicates those numbers.

I have no idea what tCQ will do this season. He put up some impressive figures in the PCL, but hitters typically have inflated numbers playing in that league. He might be a AAAA player or he just needs to be healthy and given some time. I don't know if that trade pans out long-term, but I don't mind Kenny making that move now. It gives us a chance to be better in '08, but it's a roll of the dice - especially since he's coming off surgery and hasn't been working on his game.