PDA

View Full Version : Broadway WILL be 5th Starter

Jerksticks
12-19-2007, 08:40 PM
Count me in on some Broadway for the 5-hole. I just watched his 8 strikeout performance on mlb.com again. That dude is straight up confident in his pitches. Did you notcie him throwing sliders and curveballs on 3-2? That takes some moxy. Fist pumps were abundant! The kid creates a little buzz when he's out there. 1 sample i know, but I like his demeanor out there.

Gavin Floyd doesn't fist pump. Actually, Gavin Floyd is a wuss. You can't change that. Let's just hope Gavin gets lit up his first 3 starts so we can end this saga once and for all. Stuff or no stuff, he's a wuss.

Broadway is a man, and my man for the 5-hole. (Gross innuendos aside!)

JSticks

KRS1
12-19-2007, 08:46 PM
Gavin Floyd doesn't fist pump.

Lamest argument against a pitcher ever. Who wants a guy like Zambozo acting a fool on the mound? I'd rather have a guy like Jon Garland who just gets down to business, acts like he's been there before, and doesn't show off.

SoxxoS
12-19-2007, 08:47 PM
Come on man...you cant be serious.

One start doesn't make the man bud.

JB98
12-19-2007, 08:51 PM
I'm not a big Gavin Floyd fan, but we've had some pretty good pitchers through the years who did not pump their fist. I'm not going to count Gavin out on the basis of not showing enough emotion. I'm more concerned about whether he can make quality pitches on a consistent basis.

veeter
I agree that Broadway will emerge this year. But I also think Floyd will too. Broadway has a little Tim Hudson in him. If Contreras struggles, we could be looking at Danks, Floyd AND Broadway in the rotation. And that would be o.k. with me.

btrain929
Count me in on some Broadway for the 5-hole. I just watched his 8 strikeout performance on mlb.com again. That dude is straight up confident in his pitches. Did you notcie him throwing sliders and curveballs on 3-2? That takes some moxy. Fist pumps were abundant! The kid creates a little buzz when he's out there. 1 sample i know, but I like his demeanor out there.

Gavin Floyd doesn't fist pump. Actually, Gavin Floyd is a wuss. You can't change that. Let's just hope Gavin gets lit up his first 3 starts so we can end this saga once and for all. Stuff or no stuff, he's a wuss.

JSticks

The thread title is a little misleading. I was expecting a quote from Ozzie or something...

Jerksticks
12-19-2007, 08:58 PM
The fist pump thing was a dry comment.

My point is that Broadway seems pumped when he gets dudes out, whereas Floyd seems happy that he didn't leave another one over the plate and get lit up all over the place.

Yea, I'm pickin Broadway as Mr. Emerger 2008.

KRS1
12-19-2007, 09:02 PM
I agree that Broadway will emerge this year. But I also think Floyd will too. Broadway has a little Tim Hudson in him. If Contreras struggles, we could be looking at Danks, Floyd AND Broadway in the rotation. And that would be o.k. with me.

Minus the nasty stuff and live FB.

KRS1
12-19-2007, 09:03 PM
Let's just hope Gavin gets lit up his first 3 starts so we can end this saga once and for all.

Why ANY Sox fan would hope for one of our young pitchers to get lit up is beyond me.

veeter
12-19-2007, 09:06 PM
Minus the nasty stuff and live FB.I did say "a little". And Hudson doesn't throw flames.

Jerksticks
12-19-2007, 09:09 PM
Buehrle doesn't throw cannonballs either.

Humor me, what if Lance's one start is a sign of things to come? I think that would be pretty cool.

I absolutley hate Floyd, and yes I hope he gets lit up.

JSticks

CLUBHOUSE KID
12-19-2007, 09:22 PM
The thread title is a little misleading. I was expecting a quote from Ozzie or something...

Tell me about it. I thought he was OFFICIALLY our 5th starter!!! :angry:

BainesHOF
12-19-2007, 09:24 PM
Just say no to Danks. The guy got worse as the season progressed. Why exactly would you pencil him into the 2008 rotation?

pearso66
12-19-2007, 09:24 PM
Buehrle doesn't throw cannonballs either.

Humor me, what if Lance's one start is a sign of things to come? I think that would be pretty cool.

I absolutley hate Floyd, and yes I hope he gets lit up.

JSticks

I don't care if you hate the guy, I hated Albert Belle when he was with the Sox, but I hoped he hit 100 homers a year and drove in 200 runs. I don't know how you could wish someone on the team you root for to do poorly. I would think you'd rather him do well, so that his trade value would increase, so the Sox could get more for him, and then put Broadway in the rotation.

What if Floyd gets lit up, and then Broadway comes in and gets lit up? What then? I would rather have 20 starters fighting to get in, but can't because the guys in front of them are doing too well, than have 20 starters fighting to get in, and all sucking.

mjmcend
12-19-2007, 09:42 PM
Just say no to Danks. The guy got worse as the season progressed. Why exactly would you pencil him into the 2008 rotation?

Because he was a rookie last year and he has more potential than anyone on our team?

mjmcend
12-19-2007, 09:43 PM
Lamest argument against a pitcher ever.

I agree. What we should be asking is how much dirt he eats. That's the true test of baseball player.

JB98
12-19-2007, 09:48 PM

He hit the rookie wall. He's 22 years old, so I'll give him the benefit of the doubt.

soxinem1
12-19-2007, 10:25 PM
Wow, talking about jumping the gun.

I want any Sox player to succeed, but we have to be realistic too.

His fastball is very average, his control in pro ball has been poor, and his only decent pitch right now seems to be his curve/change.

He'll need more than that. I watched that game and he had a decent fastball, but he also sat for nearly two weeks before that appearance. I currently question his ability, stuff, and stamina to handle a starting rotation spot.

Something tells me that Lance Broadway is the Joel Davis and Rodney Bolton of his generation. But I sure hope I am wrong.

Lip Man 1
12-19-2007, 10:39 PM
Jerk:

I agree on Floyd. Watching him from as far back as spring training he just doesn't seem to have the aggressive attitude and self confidence that most pro athletes have. He seems very quiet and almost timid in his interviews for example and I think that translates into his performance.

However Chuck (Yeager) Haeger isn't going to be the answer either.

I think the Sox are going to be searching for starting pitching.

Lip

chisoxmike
12-19-2007, 10:40 PM

He was a rookie and he broke down because he's never thrown that many innings before. Give him a break. It's not like it mattered. He'll be a solid starter next year. He wont blow you away, but he'll do a good job.

Broadway will probably be the first call if there is a injury to the staff or if someone (Floyd) gets lit up. I highly doubt he will start the year on the staff.

soxinem1
12-19-2007, 10:46 PM
He was a rookie and he broke down because he's never thrown that many innings before. Give him a break. It's not like it mattered. He'll be a solid starter next year. He wont blow you away, but he'll do a good job.

Broadway will probably be the first call if there is a injury to the staff or if someone (Floyd) gets lit up. I highly doubt he will start the year on the staff.

While I believe, like many here, that Danks will be a good MLB pitcher soon, the excuse of him being tired is a bit of a cop out. After all, he threw 156 and 140 IP respectively, in his two prior minor league seasons. Sure, minor leagues and major leagues are different, but the workload should progress as the player matures.

He should be getting an idea of how to pace himself, and I don't think it was unreasonable to expect him to hit about 180 IP in 2007.

gogosox16
12-19-2007, 10:58 PM
The fist pump thing was a dry comment.

My point is that Broadway seems pumped when he gets dudes out, whereas Floyd seems happy that he didn't leave another one over the plate and get lit up all over the place.

Yea, I'm pickin Broadway as Mr. Emerger 2008.
maybe just becuase it was his first major league start and he had his adreniline flowing, and was pysched for his start.

DumpJerry
12-19-2007, 11:08 PM

JSticks
Dude, what's the score? This is not news from the White Sox, it belongs here, not the Clubhouse.

By the way, I've never heard a GM say they signed someone based on how many fist pumps he does.......:rolleyes:

rowand33
12-20-2007, 12:17 AM
If there's one position where we have talent in the minors, it's starting pitcher.

Hopefully, as many of the kids comes around as soon as possible.

though, Haegar>Broadway, IMO

Dan Mega
12-20-2007, 12:32 AM
Why ANY Sox fan would hope for one of our young pitchers to get lit up is beyond me.

I think Sox fan should be in quotes.

As long as whoever they throw out there does well, then I'm happy with it.

Noneck
12-20-2007, 12:51 AM
Gosh if the fist pump is the key, maybe they will bring back Bukvich to be the 4th starter.

Nellie_Fox
12-20-2007, 12:56 AM

I absolutley hate Floyd, and yes I hope he gets lit up.So he doesn't jump around on the mound, showing up players on the other team, you want him to fail? Has it occurred to you that when he fails, the Sox fail? Maybe we can hope you get lit up so we can end the Jerksticks saga once and for all.

thomas35forever
12-20-2007, 01:12 AM
I know I'm in the minority, but I think Broadway could be a valuable asset to us this year. I know it's only one start, but I still liked his results. If he can give us those, we'll have a hell of a young pitcher on our staff.

Optipessimism
12-20-2007, 02:00 AM
I was also encouraged by Lance's performance in the Majors, but I still think he could use another year in Charlotte to harness his control over his 2-seamer. He's only been throwing it for a year and I'd like for him to have a better feel of it so hopefully the next time he comes up he can stick.

I love that competitive fire as long as it's with the Sox. Someone else mentioned Zambrano, and I agree, I hate that too. But if Zambrano was at the front of the Sox rotation doing that **** I'd love every second of it. Danks and Broadway both have that, and it's nice to see.

On Floyd, it's not his "lack of fire" that gets me; it's watching him pitch out of the stretch with diminished velocity on his fastball. That makes his curve and change even more important, and he can't exactly spot his off-speed stuff like he needs to. I have hope for him, but he's going to need to improve substantially out of the stretch.

I could see Lance making the team out of ST, in fact he was my darkhorse pick last year too, although Egbert will be my darkhorse this year. Danks and Floyd are both going to have to have great ST's in order to make the team.

Here's the really good part: if both Danks and Floyd make the team, next year we will have Gio, Broadway, and Egbert leading a Charlotte rotation also including Haeger. That's pretty nice and is actually making me smile. I'm excited about Danks, Gio, and Eggy and I think Broadway is at least going to be a capable #5. I know you generally don't expect to get a lot of MLB players out of a crop of pitching prospects coming up together, but Danks, Gio, Eggy, and Broadway all have those intangibles that make for overachievers, and they are all healthy pitchers who don't look like they're going to blow out their arms anytime soon. If we can get a couple #3's and a couple #4's out of this group we'll be on track towards competing again.

DumpJerry
12-20-2007, 07:30 AM

JSticks
So I'm just guessing you think Zambozo is the Ultimate Pitching God. Greatest guy to take The Hump in the entire history of Baseball.

Al Hrabosky is a close second?

white sox bill
12-20-2007, 07:40 AM
Actually I like the "no emotion" pitchers. Gar was one of the best, I see how Zambrono gets flustered in tight spots so the emotion thing can work against you also.

Seems we had a no emotion outfielder named Harold that, as I recall, was slightly better than average:smile:.

Carolina Kenny
12-20-2007, 08:01 AM
I was also encouraged by Lance's performance in the Majors, but I still think he could use another year in Charlotte to harness his control over his 2-seamer. He's only been throwing it for a year and I'd like for him to have a better feel of it so hopefully the next time he comes up he can stick.

I love that competitive fire as long as it's with the Sox. Someone else mentioned Zambrano, and I agree, I hate that too. But if Zambrano was at the front of the Sox rotation doing that **** I'd love every second of it. Danks and Broadway both have that, and it's nice to see.

On Floyd, it's not his "lack of fire" that gets me; it's watching him pitch out of the stretch with diminished velocity on his fastball. That makes his curve and change even more important, and he can't exactly spot his off-speed stuff like he needs to. I have hope for him, but he's going to need to improve substantially out of the stretch.

I could see Lance making the team out of ST, in fact he was my darkhorse pick last year too, although Egbert will be my darkhorse this year. Danks and Floyd are both going to have to have great ST's in order to make the team.

Here's the really good part: if both Danks and Floyd make the team, next year we will have Gio, Broadway, and Egbert leading a Charlotte rotation also including Haeger. That's pretty nice and is actually making me smile. I'm excited about Danks, Gio, and Eggy and I think Broadway is at least going to be a capable #5. I know you generally don't expect to get a lot of MLB players out of a crop of pitching prospects coming up together, but Danks, Gio, Eggy, and Broadway all have those intangibles that make for overachievers, and they are all healthy pitchers who don't look like they're going to blow out their arms anytime soon. If we can get a couple #3's and a couple #4's out of this group we'll be on track towards competing again.

I agree. If Kip Wells and Josh Fogg are still starting pitchers in MLB, then at least a couple of this group should end up in our rotation. The question is, will they be at least legit, #3,4,or 5 starters. It would not appear we have a #1 or #2 in that group.

Sargeant79
12-20-2007, 09:01 AM
While I believe, like many here, that Danks will be a good MLB pitcher soon, the excuse of him being tired is a bit of a cop out. After all, he threw 156 and 140 IP respectively, in his two prior minor league seasons. Sure, minor leagues and major leagues are different, but the workload should progress as the player matures.

He should be getting an idea of how to pace himself, and I don't think it was unreasonable to expect him to hit about 180 IP in 2007.

Actually, 180 pitches as a 22 year old rookie who had never thrown over 156 innings is a bit of an unreasonable expectation. Any coach/scout/etc. will tell you that 100 innings in the majors is like throwing 60 or 70 in the minors. It's completely different at the major league level. A rookie that fits Danks' description in terms of experience who throws 180 innings is the exception, not the rule.

cws05champ
12-20-2007, 09:06 AM

Do you want to guess what Johann Santana's ERA was in his first year? Would your guess ave been 6.49 in 30 games, 5 starts(86 IP)? Give Danks some time to develop, and if he can spot his fastball a bit more and locate the change with more consistancy, you will see much improvement.

Jerksticks
12-20-2007, 06:54 PM
So he doesn't jump around on the mound, showing up players on the other team, you want him to fail? Has it occurred to you that when he fails, the Sox fail? Maybe we can hope you get lit up so we can end the Jerksticks saga once and for all.

I never said I like Zambrano's antics. I hate everything about Zambrano.

I like that Lance has a little bit of competitive fire. He didn't show anybody up with his fist pumps. He just struck out the side after being in trouble in his first start as a rookie. That's bad ass.

You, my friend, have some Zambrano in you; trying to show me up for saying I like Broadway's fire, and comparing it to Zambrano for no reason. Uncalled for.

Either way, the sooner Floyd gets outa my rotation the better. I'm not budging on this.

JSticks

itsnotrequired
12-20-2007, 07:46 PM
I never said I like Zambrano's antics. I hate everything about Zambrano.

I like that Lance has a little bit of competitive fire. He didn't show anybody up with his fist pumps. He just struck out the side after being in trouble in his first start as a rookie. That's bad ass.

You, my friend, have some Zambrano in you; trying to show me up for saying I like Broadway's fire, and comparing it to Zambrano for no reason. Uncalled for.

Either way, the sooner Floyd gets outa my rotation the better. I'm not budging on this.

JSticks

You do realize that Floyd's ERA and BAA fell during the season while his K/IP increased, don't you? He's only 24, for crying out loud.

Tragg
12-20-2007, 09:08 PM
Another good thing about Broadway is that he has shown he can pitch a ton of innings without breaking down much. I know the organization prefers "stuff" pitchers, but if he can harnass that control against ML batters, he's tough as nails and could have a long career. I know he doesn't have #1 starter potential (as measured by "stuff") but can be darn good. Probably could use another year in the minors....that's okay. Lance is a good pitcher.

tick53
12-22-2007, 10:37 AM
No matter what, it's gonna be a tough year.