PDA

View Full Version : Silva, Mariners agree to deal

Sockinchisox
12-19-2007, 08:16 PM
http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20071219&content_id=2333777&vkey=hotstove2007&fext=.jsp&partnered=rss_mlb

In other news, the Royals and Mahay have agreed to a 2 yr deal:

http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/7584366?CMP=OTC-K9B140813162&ATT=49

mjmcend
12-19-2007, 09:53 PM
I think we have a new leader in the worst deal of the off-season contest.

4 years and $44 million for Carlos Silva? A guy who has a career ERA of 4.31 and Whip of 1.37 and is just a year removed from a 5.94 ERA season.

Medford Bobby
12-19-2007, 10:00 PM
I'm still amazed they have not dumped Sexson and Beltre. :angry:

SoxNation05
12-19-2007, 10:01 PM
I'm still amazed they have not dumped Sexson and Beltre. :angry:
Why so angry?

Medford Bobby
12-19-2007, 10:06 PM
Why so angry?
That's still alot of money tied up in two guys when you could spread it around for some pitchin'.......:wink:

SoxNation05
12-19-2007, 10:20 PM
That's still alot of money tied up in two guys when you could spread it around for some pitchin'.......:wink:
I don't know where you get the idea you can get quality pitching for players like Richie Sexson and Adrian Beltre with the contracts they have. I am not sure where you are coming from with this one.

Medford Bobby
12-19-2007, 10:31 PM
I don't know where you get the idea you can get quality pitching for players like Richie Sexson and Adrian Beltre with the contracts they have. I am not sure where you are coming from with this one.

I mean the money they spent on Sexson and Beltre have pretty much been busts, and yes they could never move these guys not with out picking up the salary for some other team to make any trade palatable....:redface:

I'd like the Dodgers to get Beltre back in National League.

soxinem1
12-19-2007, 10:33 PM

I agree about Sexson, but I think Beltre has some value. His last two seasons were pretty decent, and by current standards, his contract is not all that big.

Plus, he plays in a huge park.

I could see LAA or LAD trying for him.

goofymsfan
12-19-2007, 10:52 PM
I mean the money they spent on Sexson and Beltre have pretty much been busts, and yes they could never move these guys not with out picking up the salary for some other team to make any trade palatable....:redface:

I'd like the Dodgers to get Beltre back in National League.

As a Mariner fan, Beltre has been decent the past couple of years. Sexson, however, I would love to see gone. Unfortunately, no team in their right mind would want to take on his contract with the way he played last year. All we can hope is that he is recovered from his "injury" and will have a better year.

I'm not too fond of this Silva deal, but it goes to show you how desperate we are for pitching. I think Kuruda signing with the Dodgers was a huge hit to the M's front office. I really wish they would get rid of Bavasi.:angry:

spiffie
12-19-2007, 11:47 PM
Silva's numbers are skewed because of one terrible year. If you remove that year where everything fell apart, he's had a 3.96 ERA and a 1.30 WHIP over 600 innings in 2004, 2005, and 2007. When you look at the pitching market these days, and the deals for guys like Meche, Lilly, etc. it is hard to feel bad about getting a pitcher still in his 20's who will likely give you better than average ERA, and has potential to give you a great year. For a team that needed pitching this seems like a pretty good acquisition.

SoxNation05
12-19-2007, 11:49 PM
Silva's numbers are skewed because of one terrible year. If you remove that year where everything fell apart, he's had a 3.96 ERA and a 1.30 WHIP over 600 innings in 2004, 2005, and 2007. When you look at the pitching market these days, and the deals for guys like Meche, Lilly, etc. it is hard to feel bad about getting a pitcher still in his 20's who will likely give you better than average ERA, and has potential to give you a great year. For a team that needed pitching this seems like a pretty good acquisition.
I am not saying that this is a good signing but with todays market at least he is a workhorse and will spell your bullpen some innings. His stats will improve at Safeco.

Tragg
12-20-2007, 12:00 AM
I see a few Mariners games in person most summers and Sexon one lazy looking ballplayer (makes Jiminez look like a worker). Now I'm sure he's not really lall that lazy and just looks that way because of his physique - he's tall and lanky and so he stretches it looks like he's not trying hard. But I think he'd be exasperating if I watched him play every game.

goofymsfan
12-20-2007, 12:43 AM
I see a few Mariners games in person most summers and Sexon one lazy looking ballplayer (makes Jiminez look like a worker). Now I'm sure he's not really lall that lazy and just looks that way because of his physique - he's tall and lanky and so he stretches it looks like he's not trying hard. But I think he'd be exasperating if I watched him play every game.

Last year was the worst. We'd be down just a run or two and have men on base and have him come up to the plate. 90% of the time he either struck out or grounded into a double play to end the inning. He was painful to watch day in and day out. I would have rather they kept Ben Broussard and gotten rid of Richie.

SBSoxFan
12-20-2007, 10:13 AM

His numbers are also skewed by a potential "career" year in 2005. And he only made 27 starts that year. Anyone know why?

I am not saying that this is a good signing but with todays market at least he is a workhorse and will spell your bullpen some innings. His stats will improve at Safeco.

He's been just over 200 IP twice and under 190 IP twice. For the record, he did not throw over 600 innings (only 593-1/3 :tongue:) during 2004, 2005, and 2007. Based on that, I'm not ready to call him a workhorse. Although he doesn't walk people, leaving out 2005, his K:BB ratio is pretty low. He is young, however. Maybe it'll work out. I just imagine if the Sox signed a pitcher like this, there'd be a lot of gnashing about how $11M was too much for a #4 or 5.

spiffie
12-20-2007, 11:37 AM
His numbers are also skewed by a potential "career" year in 2005. And he only made 27 starts that year. Anyone know why?

He's been just over 200 IP twice and under 190 IP twice. For the record, he did not throw over 600 innings (only 593-1/3 :tongue:) during 2004, 2005, and 2007. Based on that, I'm not ready to call him a workhorse. Although he doesn't walk people, leaving out 2005, his K:BB ratio is pretty low. He is young, however. Maybe it'll work out. I just imagine if the Sox signed a pitcher like this, there'd be a lot of gnashing about how $11M was too much for a #4 or 5.
We did sign a pitcher like him for $11M a year. His name is Javier Vazquez, he of the 4.28 career ERA, and numbers that are skewed by both good and bad years that seem unlikely to be duplicated. The only difference is our guy is our guy will be 32 during next year.

Fenway
12-20-2007, 12:50 PM
from the Boston Globe

The Seattle Mariners apparently have decided that resume was good enough to award him $800,000 per victory with an inane $44 million deal (http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/baseball/344215_mari20.html) that tops any other possibility as the most ridiculous contract awarded this offseason

http://www.boston.com/sports/nesn/wilbur/sports_blog/blog/

mjmcend
12-20-2007, 01:01 PM
from the Boston Globe

The Seattle Mariners apparently have decided that resume was good enough to award him $800,000 per victory with an inane $44 million deal (http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/baseball/344215_mari20.html) that tops any other possibility as the most ridiculous contract awarded this offseason

http://www.boston.com/sports/nesn/wilbur/sports_blog/blog/

They are stealing material from me.

Steelrod
12-20-2007, 01:01 PM
Makes Contreras sound like a bargain!

SBSoxFan
12-20-2007, 01:51 PM
We did sign a pitcher like him for $11M a year. His name is Javier Vazquez, he of the 4.28 career ERA, and numbers that are skewed by both good and bad years that seem unlikely to be duplicated. The only difference is our guy is our guy will be 32 during next year.

We was robbed!

Vazquez was extended last year. What would he be worth now?

Do you really think they have the same potential? Besides Vazquez being older, the other differences are that he actually is a workhorse (218-1/3 vs. 167-1/3 average IP over 162 games), has a lower career WHIP (1.26 vs. 1.37), and a better K:BB ratio (3.34 vs. 2.3).

D. TODD
12-20-2007, 02:09 PM
I'll miss seeing Carlos take the mound for the Twinkies against our Sox. He always seemed like "meat" and I loved our chances when he was the toeing the rubber. Good luck Seattle, I'll miss the overweight bum being in our division.

Sockinchisox
12-20-2007, 05:18 PM
4 yrs, 48 mil, not 44.