PDA

View Full Version : Harold Baines Appreciation Society

jortafan
12-19-2007, 02:56 PM
The following is a piece that ought to be of interest to those of us (myself included) who think that Harold Baines does not get the respect he deserves for his career.

http://hallofverygood.blogspot.com/2007/12/world-is-spinning-out-of-control.html

And for those of you who are sick of hearing people claim that Harold was a quality ballplayer, don't bother to read it. It will only make you more irritable and irrational than usual.

WSox597
12-19-2007, 03:12 PM
I agree wholeheartedly. Harold belongs in the HOF. When he did play the field, he was an excellent fielder to go with his great hitting.

Alas, he suffers from "plays outside the East Coast" disease. He probably has no chance, but I hope to be proven wrong.

chisox77
12-19-2007, 03:18 PM
Excellent article, I couldn't agree more. Harold was just a quiet, low key guy with a sweet swing that produced many hits. Before his knees went bad, he was a pretty good RF as well. He had a great arm.

:cool:

BainesHOF
12-19-2007, 03:19 PM
Thank you very much for posting this. Even I didn't know that Baines is actually third on the all-time list of walk-off home runs. That and his postseason batting average are further proof of what many Sox fans know, that Baines was not only one of the best hitters of his time, but one of the best clutch hitters of all time.

This analysis is very good, and doesn't even include a major point in the argument for Baines as a Hall of Famer, that he was a very good outfielder before his knee injuries reduced him to his DH role. Did you know he even played some center field early in his career with the Sox?

Gammons Peter
12-19-2007, 03:52 PM
My favorite player.

Harold hit ropes, clutch ropes

Oblong
12-19-2007, 03:57 PM
The HOF doesn't have an east coast bias. The reason there's a lot of east coast players is because for half of baseball's life a disproportionate number of teams were on the east coast. So naturally the best players were disproportionately from that area. The bias that did exist was in the veteran's committee and it's one of cronyism.

rookieroy
12-19-2007, 04:04 PM
Wow! I didn't realize some of those facts. I would bet if this blog was presented to all of the voting writers, many would place a check mark next to his name. The writer of this this is certainly on their game.

RadioheadRocks
12-19-2007, 04:21 PM
Great article, although I was thrown by the title of this thread... when I saw it I thought Harold was no longer a White Sox coach.

Jesus Melendez
12-19-2007, 04:32 PM
The HOF doesn't have an east coast bias. The reason there's a lot of east coast players is because for half of baseball's life a disproportionate number of teams were on the east coast. So naturally the best players were disproportionately from that area. The bias that did exist was in the veteran's committee and it's one of cronyism.

PLENTY of the writers are from the East Coast though. Hell...look at the ESPN contingency alone! There is a bias. So much so that former Sox Goose Gossage will be getting in, but North Sider Lee Smith probably can't by a ticket.

Jesus Melendez
12-19-2007, 04:35 PM
Wow! I didn't realize some of those facts. I would bet if this blog was presented to all of the voting writers, many would place a check mark next to his name. The writer of this this is certainly on their game.

Thanks for the props. I met Baines YEARS ago and found him to be a class act. By the way, they HATE me over at www.baseballthinkfactory.org (http://www.baseballthinkfactory.org) and have next to NO love for Number 3.

Oblong
12-19-2007, 04:54 PM
PLENTY of the writers are from the East Coast though. Hell...look at the ESPN contingency alone! There is a bias. So much so that former Sox Goose Gossage will be getting in, but North Sider Lee Smith probably can't by a ticket.

Which HOFers got in due to an east coast bias?

Gossage should have been in years ago. If an east coast bias existed, he'd have been in already.

ESPN doesn't vote for the HOF.

Zisk77
12-19-2007, 05:10 PM
What I found interesting about Baines is that when he was young he was pretty much a pull hitter (and a good one) then all of a sudden he moved off the plate and continued to be a great hitter hitting the other way (but with too much power to be a slap hitter).

Jesus Melendez
12-19-2007, 05:19 PM
Which HOFers got in due to an east coast bias?

Gossage should have been in years ago. If an east coast bias existed, he'd have been in already.

ESPN doesn't vote for the HOF.

Gossage is borderline, partner...it's okay to admit that. And yes, there are PLENTY of Hall of Fame voters that are employed by ESPN.

Big Hurt #35=HOF
12-19-2007, 07:26 PM
Like to see the LOVE for Baines!!!!!

I remember the old stadium and joining in on the:
HAAAAAAAarOOOOOOOld
HAAAAAAAarOOOOOOOld
HAAAAAAAarOOOOOOOld

Oblong
12-19-2007, 07:28 PM
Being employed by ESPN because they value your alleged expertise as a writer is not the same thing as ESPN having a vote.

If there were an east coast bias then guys like Mattingly, Jim Rice, Dewey Evans, Tommy John, and Craig Nettles would have gotten far more support than they did.

Again, who are these east coast players getting into the HOF? The most undeserving HOFers were put in because of veterans commitee cronyism.

As for Baines, one issue I'll take with is the comparisons to Kaline and Perez. Perez should NOT be in the HOF so it doesn't really matter how he compares to him. And Kaline played in an era where offense was not what it was when Baines played. Comparing players from different eras has to be adjusted.

TDog
12-20-2007, 01:49 AM
In response to the hijack, I can see a slight East Coast bias among the 10-year-plus members of the Baseball Writers Association of America. Part of that lies in the success of the Yankees. There used to be more baseball writers in the Northeast than in other regions of the country. I think there has always been a Yankee bias, and I've heard baseball people question whether Carlton Fisk would have been voted in had he not hit his World Series home run for the Red Sox. I don't believe it's a severe bias, but I believe Rich Gossage's chances of election are improved because he played for the Yankees. But that's not what this thread is about.

Harold Baines belongs in the Hall of Fame. People who reduce baseball to nothing more than statistics aren't going to appreciate Harold, although the comparison to Al Kaline is interesting. Harold was one of those players who was at his best when the game was on the line, often against the other team's best reliever. He was a special hitter.

Harold also was in the minority of great professional athletes in that he was a great role model.

Soxfest
12-21-2007, 06:44 PM
Harold Baines is a HOF. He never was a me guy always a team guy. I wish baseball had 50 more Harold Baines's.:smile:

Daver
12-21-2007, 06:50 PM
No one has the knack for napping in the dugout quite like Harold, the man is a natural.

tick53
12-22-2007, 10:11 AM
Harold.....YES!! In a world of glory hounds and egomaniacs, Bainsey was the exact opposite. A heckuva player and a credit to the Sox and their fans. :smile: