PDA

View Full Version : Under the radar?

Heffalump
12-19-2007, 12:51 PM
Just some random musings from a bored Sox fan.....

So after talking up all the deals he was going to make and then seeing them fail, KW seems to have completely shut down the rumor mill on potential Sox deals. Usually we have a constant stream of rumors, small and large, but the pickings have been slim of late.

Personally, I think KW is going to come up with some late moves to get this team in decent shape. If he doesn't, he should be taken to task by JR (but he won't be).

Also, that Soxfest seminar with KW should be CRAZY INSANE this year!

chisoxmike
12-19-2007, 12:52 PM
Just like '05!

chisoxmike
12-19-2007, 12:52 PM
Low risk, high reward.

munchman33
12-19-2007, 01:04 PM
Under the radar? There aren't any more moves to be made. The only decent players still available require packages of top tier prospects. It's more likely that when Kenny Williams is around, other teams have turned off the radar because it doesn't matter.

Heffalump
12-19-2007, 01:12 PM
Under the radar? There aren't any more moves to be made. The only decent players still available require packages of top tier prospects. It's more likely that when Kenny Williams is around, other teams have turned off the radar because it doesn't matter.

that could be true. We can't know for sure due to the shutdown of the rumor mill.

All I know is that despite all his weaknesses, I do believe that KW wants to win and he is TRYING to improve the team for '08. Unfortunately, he has failed miserably so far this offseason.

Like others have mentioned, if he is not going to pull the trigger on deals to contend now, perhaps we should consider looking at MN's path and sacrifice now in order to kick butt in 2010 onward. Unfortunately, doing nothing (deals to contend now or deals for the future) will just put us into another race for last place with KC in '08.

munchman33
12-19-2007, 01:32 PM
that could be true. We can't know for sure due to the shutdown of the rumor mill.

All I know is that despite all his weaknesses, I do believe that KW wants to win and he is TRYING to improve the team for '08. Unfortunately, he has failed miserably so far this offseason.

Like others have mentioned, if he is not going to pull the trigger on deals to contend now, perhaps we should consider looking at MN's path and sacrifice now in order to kick butt in 2010 onward. Unfortunately, doing nothing (deals to contend now or deals for the future) will just put us into another race for last place with KC in '08.

I agree wholeheartedly.

infohawk
12-19-2007, 02:23 PM
I suspect the sluggish trade market has much to do with Johann Santana. Several teams that think they have a shot at Santana are surely holding onto their chips for that particular deal. The Sox have been rumored to be interested in Coco Crisp. Crisp would likely be part of a Santana deal if in fact the Twins and Red Sox make a deal. If and when Santana is moved, things should begin happening again.

Tekijawa
12-19-2007, 02:27 PM
I'm planning on being first in line for My Johan Santana autograph!

areilly
12-19-2007, 02:35 PM
Just like '05!

I still don't get how the 2004-05 offseason has anything to do with the 2007-2008 offseason. Did winter '02-'03 never happen? How about '00-'01?

People act like 2005 was the norm and not the exception, but there's really no reason to think that way.

Zisk77
12-19-2007, 04:20 PM

Why does it have to be so extreme. Either go for it now or blow it up? We had holes in CF,Lf, SS, Bullpen, and a starter or 2. Maybe its not possible to fill all those holes in one year.

We upgraded at SS and at least in one spot in the bullpen. We also got a good prospect for LF. Maybe there is little else that can be realistically done this year. Maybe we win only 85 games...so what, its an improvement and we get to see if Owens is the answer etc. Then Next year their may be better free agents available in Cf, the Bullpen, and maybe 1 or more of our farm pitchers will excell and we win in 2 years instead of this year rather than blowing it up and winning in 2012.

Whats the hurry on being terrible, we can do that anytime.

HawkDJ
12-19-2007, 04:28 PM
Why does it have to be so extreme. Either go for it now or blow it up? We had holes in CF,Lf, SS, Bullpen, and a starter or 2. Maybe its not possible to fill all those holes in one year.

We upgraded at SS and at least in one spot in the bullpen. We also got a good prospect for LF. Maybe there is little else that can be realistically done this year. Maybe we win only 85 games...so what, its an improvement and we get to see if Owens is the answer etc. Then Next year their may be better free agents available in Cf, the Bullpen, and maybe 1 or more of our farm pitchers will excell and we win in 2 years instead of this year rather than blowing it up and winning in 2012.

Whats the hurry on being terrible, we can do that anytime.

It probably has something to do with the fact that the Indians and Tigers are both better and younger than us, a dangerous combination. I don't think fans want to see us turn into the current Toronto Blue Jays, hopelessly mediocre.

chisoxmike
12-19-2007, 04:45 PM
I still don't get how the 2004-05 offseason has anything to do with the 2007-2008 offseason. Did winter '02-'03 never happen? How about '00-'01?

People act like 2005 was the norm and not the exception, but there's really no reason to think that way.

I was being a smart ass. People tend to refer back to 2005 for anything that remotely resembles something like it now to claim we have a shot at something.

This year, people were posting "reminds me of '05" whenever there was a walk off hit. Or "shades of '05" or crap like that.

Taliesinrk
12-19-2007, 04:48 PM
Just like '05!

Sorry if I'm taking your quote out of context (you may be referring to the lack of moves), but this is complete BS. I've seen a number of people post that this offseason is "just like '05" and it couldn't be further from the truth. Going into '05 I remember telling friends and family that I honestly thought this was the year, and that it was the best chance the Sox had had in my lifetime. The Sox aren't anywhere close to the team they had put together in '05... nowhere close.

EDIT: And with the market that's currently avaliable, they're not going to be.

chisoxmike
12-19-2007, 04:51 PM
Look above your post.

Big Hurt #35=HOF
12-19-2007, 06:10 PM
Also, that Soxfest seminar with KW should be CRAZY INSANE this year![/quote]

Cant wait until SOXfeast this year. Poor Kenny will take a beating; and he will fire back!!!!! I just don't know what bullets he will use?

I REALLY think Kenny tried this year but missed on plan A, B, C, and D. Now its hard to rebuild because of all the 2005 SOX fans. I think he will be "pressured" to make a deal to try and be competitive this year, My gut says with DET and CLEV being so strong and Kenny missing out we should probably go young and get what we can for VAZQUEZ, Paulie, etc

But Kenny wont and I think he will make some type of move or moves to try and sell more Ozzie plans ASAP!!!!!

Sargeant79
12-19-2007, 06:49 PM
and get what we can for VAZQUEZ, Paulie, etc

Good job.:tongue:

btrain929
12-19-2007, 06:51 PM
It probably has something to do with the fact that the Indians and Tigers are both better and younger than us, a dangerous combination. I don't think fans want to see us turn into the current Toronto Blue Jays, hopelessly mediocre.

Younger? I don't know if I'd go THAT far. They have a few good young players, but they are closer to us in terms of age in comparison to the Royals or Indians (Ordonez, IRoid, Sheff, Rogers, T.Jones).

Big Hurt #35=HOF
12-19-2007, 07:19 PM
Good job.:tongue:

LOL

Hitmen77
12-20-2007, 08:29 AM
KW is so under the radar now that the underside of our fuselage is brushing against the tree tops.

Just you wait! I can't wait to see the look on those faces in Detroit and Cleveland when the Sox 2008 roster is set. Boy are those guys going to be in for a surprise!