PDA

View Full Version : Jose really struggling

dougs78
04-18-2002, 09:59 PM
Man, Jose is about the only guy not pulling his weight in our lineup. I honestly never thought I'd see the day when I would feel more confident with Royce at the plate than Jose. We need to get him in his groove! With Thomas looking like hes ready to rake, we need to get Jose to put some good at bats together and our offense will be really something to admire.

Kilroy
04-18-2002, 10:11 PM
Originally posted by dougs78
...we need to get Jose to put some good at bats together and our offense will be really something to admire...

Hell, it already is. You can't expect all 9 guys to be doing it all at the same time. If you have 7 going well, you're kickin some ass. Lofton and Durham have been unbelieveable, Thomas looks like he's starting to get the eye and the timing back a bit, but Colon clowned his ass with that breaking ball tonight. Maggs is there, PK is there. CLee has been off a bit, and then MJ and Sandy along with Royce have been getting it done. The only guy off his game right now badly is Jose, possibly Frank. Gotta stay with them, and they will be there.

GASHWOUND
04-18-2002, 10:30 PM
Originally posted by Kilroy

Hell, it already is. You can't expect all 9 guys to be doing it all at the same time. If you have 7 going well, you're kickin some ass. Lofton and Durham have been unbelieveable, Thomas looks like he's starting to get the eye and the timing back a bit, but Colon clowned his ass with that breaking ball tonight. Maggs is there, PK is there. CLee has been off a bit, and then MJ and Sandy along with Royce have been getting it done. The only guy off his game right now badly is Jose, possibly Frank. Gotta stay with them, and they will be there.

I agree, imagine if all the guys were clicking at the same time, we'd be scoring double digits every game. And that says alot about the depth of our line up when a very explosive player like Jose is below par and we're still #1 in the AL in hitting.

RedPinStripes
04-18-2002, 10:33 PM
Maybe he needs to site a game or 2 this weekend? Sad when we can't rip choice while manos is struggling.

Paulwny
04-19-2002, 08:17 AM
Hitting in the 2 hole, as Jose has usually batted from in the previous 2 years, is the ideal spot in the line up. Batting before the teams best hitter you usually get to see a lot of fast balls. Pitchers fear giving up a walk before the meat of the batting order is about to hit.
This is the reason Ray wanted the 2 spot and Jeter claims he's a better hitter out of the 2 hole.

foulkesfan11
04-19-2002, 08:32 AM
When Jose starts hitting, I wouldn't be surprised if 2 or 3 of our line-up stopped hitting. That's the way it usually goes. Hopefully we'll stay consistent as a team. Pitching included.

Kilroy
04-19-2002, 08:42 AM
Originally posted by Paulwny
Hitting in the 2 hole, as Jose has usually batted from in the previous 2 years, is the ideal spot in the line up. Batting before the teams best hitter you usually get to see a lot of fast balls. Pitchers fear giving up a walk before the meat of the batting order is about to hit.
This is the reason Ray wanted the 2 spot and Jeter claims he's a better hitter out of the 2 hole.

You sound like you think Jose is not hitting because he's not in the 2 hole. I think he's just slumping.

Paulwny
04-19-2002, 09:03 AM
Originally posted by Kilroy

You sound like you think Jose is not hitting because he's not in the 2 hole. I think he's just slumping.

I guess it looks that way, I really not sure. Jose doesn't have the protection with Lee as he did with Frank and Maggs. He's probably seeing more off speed and breaking pitches.
I hope it's just a slump.
Actually, it's an ideal situation. All players go through a slump you hope when it happens someone else gets hot to make up the difference. So hopefully Jose gets hot as someone is starting to slump.

PaleHoseGeorge
04-19-2002, 10:13 AM
Originally posted by Paulwny
...Jose doesn't have the protection with Lee as he did with Frank and Maggs. He's probably seeing more off speed and breaking pitches.

Correct. Valentin isn't getting fastballs the way he did hitting in front of Frank. One of the beatwriters discussed this topic in a recent story in the WSI news index. Jose knows he needs to make adjustments, and be willing to take more walks.

The manager isn't cutting him much slack either. Valentin is the one guy Manuel benches when a lefty starts for the opposition. The rest of the line up appears set in concrete (MJ and Alomar sharing catching duties).

I hope it's just a slump.
Actually, it's an ideal situation. All players go through a slump you hope when it happens someone else gets hot to make up the difference. So hopefully Jose gets hot as someone is starting to slump.

He looked bad enough last night to officially label it a slump. Valentin's swing is really off right now. I agree about the slump's timing. The Sox are scoring runs in gobs right now, even with the middle of the line up still pretty streaky. When the top and bottom of the order inevitably come back down to Earth, it's good to know we've got some big boppers that are overdue for a break out.

bc2k
04-20-2002, 01:02 AM
Yeah he is in a little bit of a slump right now, probably from carrying the team on his back for the past two years. He will be there in the clutch, as usual, right when we need him.

baggio202
04-20-2002, 01:11 AM
i really think jose is burned out right now...he went to winter ball to work on his defense at 3rd base..obviously he put in hours of fielding grounders and such because his defense has been gold glove calibur so far...i cant believe how great he has look at third..going behind the bag to make a strong throw...charging in on a swinging bunt and making an off balance throw...reacting to liners and hard grounder..driving and making the plays..turning two...the man (i think ) only has one error and that really wasnt an error..it was a blown umpires call...

so ..imo..i figure jose had to spend hours working on his defense and his hitting has suffered...he will get his 2nd wind soon and we will see the manos of old..despite his rough start he has contributed with walks..a couple of homers..and as mentioned..stellar defense