PDA

View Full Version : Sign here if you want to 'blow it up'

ksimpson14
12-19-2007, 02:43 AM
"Sign" here if you wouldn't start a revolution or boycott if the Sox decided to start over and get some new faces in here. Maybe not to the extent of the Marlins, but you know. If it happens, I think it'd happen soon, but I don't think it will happen, because I think the Sox fear a big backlash from fans, after some momentum after a World Championship, especially since they came to the park. Will they really? You tell me.

Also, it doesn't help (this cause) that Kenny (before Hunter signed anywhere) came out and said there were some good packages with prospects out there for Garland, but he wanted to win now

Sockinchisox
12-19-2007, 02:44 AM
"Sign" here if you wouldn't start a revolution or boycott if the Sox decided to start over and get some new faces in here. Maybe not to the extent of the Marlins, but you know. If it happens, I think it'd happen soon, but I don't think it will happen, because I think the Sox fear a big backlash from fans, after some momentum after a World Championship, especially since they came to the park. Will they really? You tell me.

Also, it doesn't help (this cause) that Kenny (before Hunter signed anywhere) came out and said there were some good packages with prospects out there for Garland, but he wanted to win now

Link?

RedHeadPaleHoser
12-19-2007, 06:23 AM
Where do I sign up to blow up this thread?

December 20.....over 7 weeks til P & C report.

kraut83
12-19-2007, 08:42 AM

This is the best part of this thread. P&Cs are now weeks, rather than months away!

spiffie
12-19-2007, 09:01 AM
This is the best part of this thread. P&Cs are now weeks, rather than months away!
Only seven more weeks until the stock response goes from "I didn't know the offseason was over yet" to "How can you judge the team before they play a single regular season game?" The changing of the justifications is always a beautiful thing, like the new buds on the trees in spring.

hi im skot
12-19-2007, 09:16 AM
Man, I've been wanting to use this for ages...

http://i79.photobucket.com/albums/j146/sschaaf/roadhousesd7.jpg

Thanks WizardsofOzzie!

voodoochile
12-19-2007, 09:32 AM
Only seven more weeks until the stock response goes from "I didn't know the offseason was over yet" to "How can you judge the team before they play a single regular season game?" The changing of the justifications is always a beautiful thing, like the new buds on the trees in spring.

You mistake the reasons for those comments as justification for KW. They're not. They are simply a way to reply to the people who will insist the season is over before that first game has been played.

I admit that I am glad it's not in my nature to ever look at the game that way. I think I get more enjoyment out of entering each and every season with at least some hope to cling to. Maybe I'm delusional. Maybe I'm just an optimistic fan, but I'd hate to go through life as bitter as some of the people who post around these parts...

Edit: Oh and am I the only one confused about what exactly this thread is asking? Are we supposed to be ranting about how bad the team is and talk about our desire to blow it up or bemoan the fact that we have less pieces to blow up?

hi im skot
12-19-2007, 09:34 AM
I think I get more enjoyment out of entering each and every season with at least some hope to cling to. Maybe I'm delusional. Maybe I'm just an optimistic fan, but I'd hate to go through life as bitter as some of the people who post around these parts...

:thumbsup:

itsnotrequired
12-19-2007, 09:50 AM
Edit: Oh and am I the only one confused about what exactly this thread is asking? Are we supposed to be ranting about how bad the team is and talk about our desire to blow it up or bemoan the fact that we have less pieces to blow up?

I think it is a call for an ASSREVOLUTION!

:happybday

AZChiSoxFan
12-19-2007, 10:09 AM

Totally agree!!!

Law11
12-19-2007, 10:28 AM

Thank You..

spiffie
12-19-2007, 10:45 AM
You mistake the reasons for those comments as justification for KW. They're not. They are simply a way to reply to the people who will insist the season is over before that first game has been played.

I admit that I am glad it's not in my nature to ever look at the game that way. I think I get more enjoyment out of entering each and every season with at least some hope to cling to. Maybe I'm delusional. Maybe I'm just an optimistic fan, but I'd hate to go through life as bitter as some of the people who post around these parts...

The problem is more often than not they are simply used as a way to head off any criticism of the Sox so far. Pointing out that they whiffed on everyone that they admittedly targeted gets responded with that line or some derivation of it.

That said, I don't know if I'm assumed to be part of that group of bitter people, but I'm actually kind of happy with the Sox as they are now. I'd rather see them build for the future, which they've mostly done by not signing any of the FA's out there. As for next year, I don't think they're going to be a good team, but I still can't wait for baseball season. Even if I think the team is likely to be 4th place, I'm excited to see Fields, Richar, Danks, Owens, Quentin, and whomever else they bring up and give time to. I'm not optimistic about the team's chances in the standings next year, but I think there are good things on the horizon for the Sox.

And I think the thread was intended to be a rebuttal to everyone who says things like "I don't pay major league prices to watch minor leaguers" or those who say that people will stop coming if the Sox commit to a major rebuild by getting everyone to post how much they will keep going to games even if the Sox aren't contending this year. At least that's my guess.

Of course it could just be INR is right and its a call to ASSREVOLUTION.

voodoochile
12-19-2007, 10:53 AM
The problem is more often than not they are simply used as a way to head off any criticism of the Sox so far. Pointing out that they whiffed on everyone that they admittedly targeted gets responded with that line or some derivation of it.

That said, I don't know if I'm assumed to be part of that group of bitter people, but I'm actually kind of happy with the Sox as they are now. I'd rather see them build for the future, which they've mostly done by not signing any of the FA's out there. As for next year, I don't think they're going to be a good team, but I still can't wait for baseball season. Even if I think the team is likely to be 4th place, I'm excited to see Fields, Richar, Danks, Owens, Quentin, and whomever else they bring up and give time to. I'm not optimistic about the team's chances in the standings next year, but I think there are good things on the horizon for the Sox.

And I think the thread was intended to be a rebuttal to everyone who says things like "I don't pay major league prices to watch minor leaguers" or those who say that people will stop coming if the Sox commit to a major rebuild by getting everyone to post how much they will keep going to games even if the Sox aren't contending this year. At least that's my guess.

Of course it could just be INR is right and its a call to ASSREVOLUTION.

You don't strike me as bitter, merely realistic and a bit pessimistic about the way the team is headed. You've decided that since it's not going to happen this year, they may as well build for the future. I don't have a problem with that viewpoint.

I'm not expecting much more than 3rd myself this coming season barring some more moves before the season starts - I think that's quite possible, but it won't come soon because I think they are looking to move Crede and that won't happen until March after he gets his feet wet playing some games.

Oh and just to be picky, the Sox didn't whiff on every piece they targeted. I believe KW did target Quentin, Linebrink and a SS upgrade. He whiffed on a CF upgrade (though not for lack of trying and putting together quality offers) and a leadoff hitter so it's back to Owens in CF and leading off for the moment.

spawn
12-19-2007, 10:56 AM

This is awesome. Let's throw up the white flag before pitchers and catchers even report. ****ing brilliant. :rolleyes:

Juice16
12-19-2007, 10:57 AM
Are we gonna blow it up so we can get prospects that turn out to be as good as Konerko? AJ? Dye? Cabrera? or maybe eventually pitch as good as Beuhrle? Vazquez or Jenks? We have too much of a core to blow it up, we just need the finishing pieces and that's not what's happening right now.

spiffie
12-19-2007, 10:59 AM
You don't strike me as bitter, merely realistic and a bit pessimistic about the way the team is headed. You've decided that since it's not going to happen this year, they may as well build for the future. I don't have a problem with that viewpoint.

I'm not expecting much more than 3rd myself this coming season barring some more moves before the season starts - I think that's quite possible, but it won't come soon because I think they are looking to move Crede and that won't happen until March after he gets his feet wet playing some games.

Oh and just to be picky, the Sox didn't whiff on every piece they targeted. I believe KW did target Quentin, Linebrink and a SS upgrade. He whiffed on a CF upgrade (though not for lack of trying and putting together quality offers) and a leadoff hitter so it's back to Owens in CF and leading off for the moment.
Ack...I meant to say "publically targeted", so that it would take in just the guys like Hunter, M. Cabrera, Rowand, Fukudome, etc. I agree he made some moves that they wanted to make. They did get THE Carlos Quentin, and I like Linebrink. I like O. Cabrera, but I hate what we gave up to get him. I would have rather extended Garland, but oh well, muddy water under a broken bridge.

I don't see Crede as being part of anything major. Even if in Spring Training he moves around well he still has the cloud over him of a bad back. I think people have their expectations very high for what Crede might bring back. I would be surprised if it was more than a middle of the pen arm or a second-tier prospect. He's in his walk year, repped by Boras, and just had back surgery. Even a few good ST games aren't going to change that. Hell, I might almost say they should keep him for the year and offer him arbitration and hope they can get a draft pick or two for him.

btrain929
12-19-2007, 12:38 PM
Ack...I meant to say "publically targeted", so that it would take in just the guys like Hunter, M. Cabrera, Rowand, Fukudome, etc. I agree he made some moves that they wanted to make. They did get THE Carlos Quentin, and I like Linebrink. I like O. Cabrera, but I hate what we gave up to get him. I would have rather extended Garland, but oh well, muddy water under a broken bridge.

I don't see Crede as being part of anything major. Even if in Spring Training he moves around well he still has the cloud over him of a bad back. I think people have their expectations very high for what Crede might bring back. I would be surprised if it was more than a middle of the pen arm or a second-tier prospect. He's in his walk year, repped by Boras, and just had back surgery. Even a few good ST games aren't going to change that. Hell, I might almost say they should keep him for the year and offer him arbitration and hope they can get a draft pick or two for him.

I'm pretty sure we could only receive a draft pick for him if he plays this year and has a good year. I don't see either of those happening...

spiffie
12-19-2007, 12:41 PM
I'm pretty sure we could only receive a draft pick for him if he plays this year and has a good year. I don't see either of those happening...
If we keep him he will play. If he's at all healthy, he almost certainly will be at least a Type B.

DumpJerry
12-19-2007, 12:41 PM
Hope this helps with signing:

http://www.lifeprint.com/asl101/images-layout/signlanguage1280x1024.jpg

cws05champ
12-19-2007, 01:27 PM
I certainly don't like when the Sox are bad or even mediocre, but to blow it up would be counter productive at this point. A lot of teams have filled needs and would be unwilling to deal top prospects now. Also, the Sox would take a big hit at the Box office IMHO.

If the Sox are bad or even mediocre in July and 12-15 games out, then you use the teams that are in it against each other for a bidding war on some players that you can deal for top prospects. All it takes is one desparate team to overpay (in prospects) for a player that they believe will put them over the top or contribute to a playoff run. That being said, I still don't think the Sox will blow up the core of the team(Konerko, Buehrle etc) and start completely over unless they are on a path that is worse than the 72 wins last year. At the deadline you could see Crede, Contreras, Dye(if he waives his NTC), Thornton, MacDougal all potentially go somewhere else.

Should we blow it up now...NO. Should we install the charges if they are the same as last year by June...YES.

Zisk77
12-19-2007, 01:29 PM

or its author :D:

ksimpson14
12-20-2007, 03:08 AM
Link?

Sorry, I don't have a link, it was a TV interview, hours after the Garland trade, on Comcast Sports Net Tribune Live Show.

Very good, telling interview. I can't fault Kenny at that time though, since his plan was completely different and it was before Hunter signed anywhere. At the time he did say it wouldn't be the end of the world to send Owens in the OF, that he showed something and could get a shot to prove himself, but I figured that he was trying to spin it to try and "surprise" the worst kept secret of interest in Hunter. The most annoying part for me though was when he said he had no problem with the rotation and Floyd/Danks filling out the end, I figured it could've been another smoke screen, but maybe not so much...

ksimpson14
12-20-2007, 03:11 AM

It's to gauge fan response if the team goes a 'white flag' route, if they would all revolt and boycott the park (which is what I think they fear), or realize what the situation has become, and still go to the games and support the squad. Would you mind seeing a bunch of kids out there if it gives you a better future and farm system

Nellie_Fox
12-20-2007, 03:43 AM
It's to gauge fan response if the team goes a 'white flag' route, if they would all revolt and boycott the park (which is what I think they fear), or realize what the situation has become, and still go to the games and support the squad. Would you mind seeing a bunch of kids out there if it gives you a better future and farm systemI seriously doubt if you will find a whole lot of people on a White Sox message board who would revolt and boycott. Bandwagoners and front-runners do that, not people who care enough to be posting on here.

Grzegorz
12-20-2007, 06:05 AM
The most annoying part for me though was when he said he had no problem with the rotation and Floyd/Danks filling out the end, I figured it could've been another smoke screen, but maybe not so much...

I don't know what you'd want KW to say regarding Floyd and/or Danks filling out the end of the rotation.

Do you want him to show no confidence in those two pitchers? Or, would you rather him say nothing?

If KW talks down those two pitchers he could lose them for the season. By talking those two down he lessens his the probability of getting a quality return on those two if they're to be a part of any future baseball transaction.

By saying nothing he raises the ire of the many 'fans' who demand some move be made just for the sake of making a move. Money (other people's money spent by others) be damned; just make some move.

So what path does KW take? He opts to show faith in his players by giving them a boost in confidence; not only a move to help his current team but also to keep these players viewed as assets just in case they're to be a part of any baseball transaction in the future.

Chrisaway
12-21-2007, 12:16 PM
I'll never give up on my team. Are all these "dark clouds" the bandwagoners we picked up after 2005? THis offseason ain't over yet my friends. Have some freakin faith.

Thigpen "57"
12-21-2007, 02:16 PM
I seriously doubt if you will find a whole lot of people on a White Sox message board who would revolt and boycott. Bandwagoners and front-runners do that, not people who care enough to be posting on here.

That is spot on my friend.

Big Hurt #35=HOF
12-21-2007, 08:00 PM
I'll never give up on my team. Are all these "dark clouds" the bandwagoners we picked up after 2005? THis offseason ain't over yet my friends. Have some freakin faith.

Every year Kenny finds a way to get me excited about the new year; its going to be tough this year.

I really wonder what his next move will be

Frontman
12-21-2007, 08:51 PM
Every year Kenny finds a way to get me excited about the new year; its going to be tough this year.

I really wonder what his next move will be

Say "Hola, Alexei."

I can't believe how many different "time to blow it up" threads we get in a week. It amazes me.

kevin57
12-21-2007, 09:19 PM
IF the Sox completely suck again this year, then yes, this is a payroll getting way too much money for 90 losses. In that case you wouldn't see any backlash or boycott.

A trickier move would be if the Sox are "good" but not great in '08 (let's say 85 wins). It would likely be easier to trade guys but marketing a lot of "radical" moves would be a tough sell.