PDA

View Full Version : White Sox Shopping Cabrera?

kwkonsl
12-18-2007, 10:42 PM
White Sox shopping Cabrera?

Quote:
Just weeks after trading P Jon Garland to the Angels for Orlando Cabrera, the desperate White Sox are not interested in going long term with Cabrera, and are looking to trade him. There are not too many teams I see taking him, but it is possible the Red Sox might be interested. Orlando Cabrera did well with the Red Sox in 2004, batting .294 with 6 HR and 31 RBI in 58 games. The White Sox are looking for a middle infielder like Julio Lugo and are interested in Coco Crisp and might be able to snag both in the Red Sox are willing. Obviously some cash would have to be exchange, but it seems like a fair deal considering the Red Sox have Ellsbury, and Lugo struggled in Boston. I've been talking with a Cubs fans through email who asked me if the Cubs are looking at any shortstops. It is possible they would look at Orlando Cabrera, but highly unlikely. Ryan Theriot did great for the Cubs all year, just struggled in the final weeks of the season. Lou Piniella talked about Theriot as a great situational hitter, and to have that kind of player in the lineup who also comes at a reduced price, definitely helps the team.

source: http://www.mlb-rumors.blogspot.com/ (http://www.mlb-rumors.blogspot.com/)

chisoxmike
12-18-2007, 10:45 PM
Come on.

jabrch
12-18-2007, 10:49 PM
Absolute Hogwash

WhiteSox5187
12-18-2007, 10:51 PM
I don't believe we're going to trade him but IF, big if, we do...well...we know what will happen on this board.

chisoxmike
12-18-2007, 10:54 PM
Also, what an awful site. It's pure wild speculation.

It is possible they would look at Orlando Cabrera, but highly unlikely. Ryan Theriot did great for the Cubs all year...

Worse part of the piece.

TheOldRoman
12-18-2007, 10:54 PM
We get Lugo? Excellent deal, but I would still ask for more. Hopefully the Red Sox could do a sign and trade* and send us Darren Driefort, too. We could then get Mike Hampton and Chan Ho Park to round up the rotation.:rolleyes:

*And, yes, I know MLB doesn't allow sign and trades.

CLR01
12-18-2007, 10:56 PM
Come on.

Absolute Hogwash

It has to be true, it's MLBtraderumors.com. It's like Otis himself posted it.

Sargeant79
I'm going to write the webmaster of that site demand the prompt return of the minute I spent reading that complete horse****.

goon
I doubt they are shopping him, IF they get a tempting offer, that's another story.

chisoxmike
12-18-2007, 10:57 PM
It has to be true, it's MLBtraderumors.com. It's like Otis himself posted it.

It's not even MLBtraderumors.com. Its another ****ty site.:o:

CLR01
12-18-2007, 10:58 PM

Ohh lord a knockoff....

I saw MLB and rumors and just assumed.

Domeshot17
12-18-2007, 11:06 PM
This is like the movie Multiplicity

Whenever you copy a copy it never comes out as good

this is like the **** for brains 4th copy who wears goggles and loves pizza coca cola and chain saws

Standing Ovation
12-18-2007, 11:20 PM
Further down the page, this guy posts this about a possible Prior signing:

"I think the Reds have a good chance because Mark Prior had a good relationship with Dusty Baker, the Reds new manager."

That's complete bull****. Didn't Prior's dad want to personally strangle Baker for over using his son????

ShoelessJoeS
12-18-2007, 11:22 PM
A friend of mine overheard KW at the airport talking on his cell phone with Theo Epstein. My buddy got the impression that it's pretty much a done deal.

voodoochile
12-18-2007, 11:27 PM
What came first this rumor or the Rogers article?

DSpivack
12-18-2007, 11:48 PM

No one knows. It's a feedback loop.

kwkonsl
12-18-2007, 11:54 PM
(Fast) food for thought, Monday morning edition

By Phil Rogers, 12:13 p.m.

Since Torii Hunter and Kosuke Fukudome won't take Jerry Reinsdorf's money, here's an idea for Ken Williams: Why not get Orlando Cabrera signed to a long-term deal before Christmas?

(snip)

If Cabrera really is sincere about wanting to get onto the free-agent market the Sox might as well know that as soon as possible. It's possible that they could get Coco Crisp and Julio Lugo from Boston for Cabrera, or that they might get a rich package of prospects from the Cubs and let Juan Uribe play shortstop for another year.

Mod Edit: You need to post links instead of most of an article. Copyright violations are something we take seriously around these parts.

eriqjaffe
12-19-2007, 12:14 AM
Further down the page, this guy posts this about a possible Prior signing:

"I think the Reds have a good chance because Mark Prior had a good relationship with Dusty Baker, the Reds new manager."

That's complete bull****. Didn't Prior's dad want to personally strangle Baker for over using his son????Prior's old man is rumored to be close to signing a 3-year deal with the D-Backs.

RedHeadPaleHoser
12-19-2007, 06:25 AM
A friend of mine overheard KW at the airport talking on his cell phone with Theo Epstein. My buddy got the impression that it's pretty much a done deal.

That's where this 4th knockoff website is hosted....on free WI-Fi in Phoenix's airport, next to Auntie Anne's pretzels and near the $45, 10 minute massage chairs.

It has to be for real.

Tragg
12-19-2007, 09:49 AM
I sense a lawsuit for trademark infringement - playoff the high repulation of mlbtraderumors.com

PalehosePlanet
12-19-2007, 10:30 AM

Rogers article came first, thereafter certain people started calling it a "rumor." What it is, is a bored writer's audition for The Globe, or The Star, or other such bull**** rags.

Even the cubs fan who runs mlbtraderumors says it's not a rumor but a Rogers suggestion.

Tragg
12-19-2007, 10:32 AM
I wouldn't mind trading him....for Ellsbury, not for Julio Lugo and Coco Owens.

munchman33
12-19-2007, 12:27 PM
I wouldn't mind trading him....for Ellsbury, not for Julio Lugo and Coco Owens.

Haha...the Red Sox are reluctant to include Ellsbury in any trade for Johan Santana. I'm sure they'd jump at the chance for Orlando Cabrera. :?:

RowanDye
12-19-2007, 12:55 PM
It gets much worse if you read the comments on the rumor:

Not going to happen, the WhiteSox have nothing to offer the RedSox besides some overrated bullpen arms and little known prospects. The Redsox will give lugo another year before they move onto Jed Lowrie or someone who can actually hit like a 9 mil player.

If I was the Redsox I would only do the cabrera trade for cash and a AA pitching prospect.

Wow...apparently All-Star shortstops aren't worth much these days.

spiffie
12-19-2007, 01:07 PM
It gets much worse if you read the comments on the rumor:

Wow...apparently All-Star shortstops aren't worth much these days.
Not when you likely only need him for one year, which is all he's signed for anyhow. Cabrera is a good player, but in his situation the only way you get someone good back in return is if, like Garland, they too are in their walk year. If Lowrie is what they expect him to be, why would they want to plug that position up, when they already have one expensive SS on their roster?

TDog
12-19-2007, 01:43 PM
Before the 2005 season, when the Cubs fans in my office were giving me a hard time because the Sox weren't going to contend, having lost Ordonez and traded Lee, there was a rumor that the Sox were shopping newly signed A.J. Pierzynski.

Tragg
12-19-2007, 04:00 PM
Not when you likely only need him for one year, which is all he's signed for anyhow. Cabrera is a good player, but in his situation the only way you get someone good back in return is if, like Garland, they too are in their walk year. If Lowrie is what they expect him to be, why would they want to plug that position up, when they already have one expensive SS on their roster?
There have been a ton of trades for players in their walk years that netted young talent.
Like Freddie Garcia times deux; jason jennings; santana is in his walk year
It doesn't seem to be the great trend now. And certainly the Sox haven't been able to get a good one done except for that Garcia deal, despite numerous efforts.
The key to that Cabrera is that I think he will bring 2 draft choices (if we offer arbitration, which we absolutely have to do). Otherwise, it's a pretty rank trade.

I love how the original rumors site is complaining about the neo rumors site posting unfounded rumors.

FarWestChicago
12-19-2007, 08:46 PM
That's where this 4th knockoff website is hosted....on free WI-Fi in Phoenix's airport, next to Auntie Anne's pretzels and near the $45, 10 minute massage chairs.Outstanding! :rolling: