PDA

View Full Version : Who do you think are the Sox's top 5 prospects?

SoxNation05
12-18-2007, 04:59 PM
Rated on who has the highest ceiling.

Mine:
1. DeLos Santos
2. Gio
3. Fields
4. Poreda
5. Broadway

WOW weak.

California Sox
12-18-2007, 05:33 PM
Rated on who has the highest ceiling.

Mine:
1. DeLos Santos
2. Gio
3. Fields
4. Poreda
5. Broadway

WOW weak.

Fields isn't eligible.

Personally, I liked Carter more than anyone we have.

I'll say:

1. Gio
2. DLS
3. Poreda
4. Jose Martinez (based on youth, tools)
5. Sweeney

Just missing the cut: Egbert, Broadway, Shelby, Gomes, Francisco Hernandez, and Harrell (if healthy).

It's pretty weak but there are quite a few guys who could emerge this year like Marrero, Estill, Sanchez, Miranda, Silverio, Griffith and Ely.

SoxxoS
12-18-2007, 07:10 PM
Egbert is highly underrated IMO, and gets overlooked b/c he is a tad old for AA. But his numbers took a big jump up this year at AA, and his numbers 2 seasons ago in high A were pretty damn good -

http://www.thebaseballcube.com/players/e/jack-egbert.shtml

I like him a lot more than Broadway...and I think he is above Poreda by a tad. Poreda never really dominated college, which really scares me. I hope he pans out, but I like Egbert a lot.

munchman33
12-18-2007, 07:29 PM
1. DLS
2. Gio
3. Poreda

4 through infiniti - a bunch of guys who should never sniff the major leagues.

btrain929
12-18-2007, 07:33 PM
Fields isn't eligible.

I'll say:

1. Gio
2. DLS
3. Poreda
5. Sweeney

Just missing the cut: Egbert, Broadway, Shelby, Gomes, Francisco Hernandez, and Harrell (if healthy).

It's pretty weak but there are quite a few guys who could emerge this year like Marrero, Estill, Sanchez, Miranda, Silverio, Griffith and Ely.

He gone...

California Sox
12-18-2007, 08:42 PM
He gone...

Not the pitcher, the catcher.

SoxNation05
12-18-2007, 08:48 PM
Egbert is highly underrated IMO, and gets overlooked b/c he is a tad old for AA. But his numbers took a big jump up this year at AA, and his numbers 2 seasons ago in high A were pretty damn good -

http://www.thebaseballcube.com/players/e/jack-egbert.shtml

I like him a lot more than Broadway...and I think he is above Poreda by a tad. Poreda never really dominated college, which really scares me. I hope he pans out, but I like Egbert a lot.

Egbert didn't "dominate" in college either.

Optipessimism
12-18-2007, 09:54 PM

Egbert doesn't have dominating stuff so you don't necessarily expect that. A guy like Poreda you like to see dominate college hitters, at least you'd like a better K/9 ratio if nothing else, but he did put up some seriously sick numbers against the Rookie league competition last year.

I wonder if Poreda sticks in Kanny all year in '08? I hope the Sox are patient with him and let him develop his secondary stuff.

SoxxoS
12-18-2007, 09:58 PM

Exactly what opti-pessi said. Egbert doesn't have the stuff to dominate. Poreda allegedly does. Poreda went to South Florida as well, and the Big East is no PAC 10 or SEC...

California Sox
12-18-2007, 11:54 PM
Exactly what opti-pessi said. Egbert doesn't have the stuff to dominate. Poreda allegedly does. Poreda went to South Florida as well, and the Big East is no PAC 10 or SEC...

Poreda, like Bill Russell, is a University of San Francisco Don. Egbert, on the other hand, graduated from I believe Rutgers which is in the Big East.

SoxxoS
12-19-2007, 08:39 AM
Poreda, like Bill Russell, is a University of San Francisco Don. Egbert, on the other hand, graduated from I believe Rutgers which is in the Big East.

Whoops - I immediately thought USF - South Florida. Brain cramp.

btrain929
12-19-2007, 12:43 PM
Fields isn't eligible.

I'll say:

1. Gio
2. DLS
3. Poreda
5. Sweeney

Does this guy have some incredibly high ceiling I don't know about? He had a very unimpressive '06 in Kanny, and slightly improved, but nothing eye-popping in '07 again in Kanny. A switch hitting catcher is a nice thought, but does he really miss the cut as one of our "top 10 prospects" in our entire organization according to you? If so, let me know what type of promise he has because I haven't heard much about the guy.

California Sox
12-19-2007, 01:47 PM
Does this guy have some incredibly high ceiling I don't know about? He had a very unimpressive '06 in Kanny, and slightly improved, but nothing eye-popping in '07 again in Kanny. A switch hitting catcher is a nice thought, but does he really miss the cut as one of our "top 10 prospects" in our entire organization according to you? If so, let me know what type of promise he has because I haven't heard much about the guy.

I thought he had a very good year at the plate in 2007 and he is reputed a good defensive catcher. Obviously he failed at that level in 2006, but so did everyone else. Kanny was such a disaster in 2006 that I imagine everyone was pulled down in the undertow. He had had solid production at every level before that, so I'm willing to give him the mulligan.

And the fact that I mentioned him says more about the lack of depth in our system than my faith in Francisco. He profiles as a bottom of the order hitter with a pretty high average, a little pop, and a big-time throwing arm. Is Francisco Hernandez one of the top 5 catching prospects in baseball? No. But in a thin system and compared to Donny Lucy and Cole Armstrong, I like his chances.

Fungo
12-19-2007, 02:14 PM
1. Gio
2. Sweeney
3. DLS
4. Broadway
5. Jose Martinez

JermaineDye05
12-19-2007, 02:31 PM
Why are some people putting DLS ahead of Gio? He had one real good year. Let's see what he does next year before we put him above Gio.

rdivaldi
12-19-2007, 03:49 PM
Why are some people putting DLS ahead of Gio?

Because the question was phrased, "Who has the highest ceiling" is most likely the reason. Gio is obviously a better pitcher and further ahead in his development, but DLS' "stuff" is sick. If he can avoid injury, improve his control somewhat and continue improving on his 3rd and 4th pitches he's a bone-fide #1.

JermaineDye05
12-19-2007, 03:57 PM
Because the question was phrased, "Who has the highest ceiling" is most likely the reason. Gio is obviously a better pitcher and further ahead in his development, but DLS' "stuff" is sick. If he can avoid injury, improve his control somewhat and continue improving on his 3rd and 4th pitches he's a bone-fide #1.

Oh ok. I will agree DLS stuff is sick. I remember seeing him in the futures game. His fastball was electric and he had a nasty curve or slider, I can remember which one he threw to strike out I think it was Ellsbury, I could be mistaken. He does have me excited for the future I must say.

Jerksticks
12-19-2007, 05:00 PM
1. Chili Cheese Fritos
2. Fields
3. DLS
4. Gio
5. The young, young shortstops who we now have 15 of.

The Thomenator
12-19-2007, 07:47 PM
1. Chili Cheese Fritos
2. Fields
3. DLS
4. Gio

WHo's that 16 (?) year old we picked up from the Dominican recently? Any upside?

Optipessimism
12-20-2007, 02:52 AM
WHo's that 16 (?) year old we picked up from the Dominican recently? Any upside?
Nope. They gave him $600K because they thought he sucked.

I'm guessing since he was referred to as a "man-child" by Phil Rogers he has good speed and big power potential once he fills out. Phil has never been wrong about anything before, so I think he's got some tools.

I hope he has a mustache. Mustaches, I've heard, translate well into the upper levels of the minors.

Optipessimism
12-20-2007, 02:57 AM
1. Chili Cheese Fritos
2. Fields
3. DLS
4. Gio

Miranda and Valido are the only two worth noting as SS who have played above Rookie ball, and neither of those guys would rank that high. Valido has been slipping and Miranda looks like a nice pick, but we'll see how he does in W-S next year. Miranda has been in the system since June and he's aready pushing Valido.

Tragg
12-20-2007, 09:14 PM
Why are some people putting DLS ahead of Gio? He had one real good year. Let's see what he does next year before we put him above Gio.
He has more raw talent in the opinion of many. They're all prospects and have a lot to prove.
Broadway pitched a great ML game. Gio hasn't. Gio is still ranked ahead, by many. More talent

Optipessimism
12-20-2007, 11:40 PM
Here's a piece on DLS from another site (http://www.fantasyplayers.com/mlb/FeedItem.asp?FEED_ITEM_ID=9810):

Fautino De Los Santos (P)
Like Clay Kershaw, the Chicago White Sox top pitching prospect and future ace right hander is a mere 21 years of age. Unlike Clay "K", ‘Tino was not featured among the 900 prospects outlined in Baseball America's top minor leaguers. De Los Santos dominated Single and Double A in 2007, his first year of professional baseball. De Los Santos posted a 2.65 ERA with a 0.92 WHIP in 122 innings pitched. What made Fautino's performance so unique is that during 122.1 innings, he allowed only 69 hits and 43 walks, yet struck out 153 batters.

All of these numbers suggest De Los Santos is something special. The huge differential in hits-to-innings-pitched, combined with outstanding strikeout numbers illustrate a superior level of talent that should propel De Los Santos through the minor leagues in a hurry. In fact, the White Sox already see a bright future in ‘Tino, as he was selected to pitch in the 2007 Futures Game. Marc Hulet of Baseball Analysts commented that ‘Tino, "who features a mid-90s fastball, slider, and change-up combination – is deserving of a promotion." At 6'0 and with similar numbers, ‘Tino projects to become the next Roy Oswalt, barring the elbow and rotator cuff hurdles all young pitchers face.

rdivaldi
12-21-2007, 10:32 AM
Here's a piece on DLS from another site (http://www.fantasyplayers.com/mlb/FeedItem.asp?FEED_ITEM_ID=9810):

That other site should do some fact checking. Fautino did not pitch at AA last year, he pitched at low A and advanced A.

bestkosher
12-21-2007, 11:43 AM
sorry about the HIJACK but everytime I see the abbrevation DLS I thik of my high school De La Salle which is one a few blocks from THE CELLL

Tragg
12-21-2007, 06:42 PM
Where is DLS slated to start this upcoming year?

DLS should be untouchable and I presume that he is.

SoxNation05
12-21-2007, 06:46 PM
Where is DLS slated to start this upcoming year?

DLS should be untouchable and I presume that he is.
double a

Tragg
12-21-2007, 06:52 PM
double a
Birmingham? I'll be there.

btrain929
12-23-2007, 07:16 PM
double a

Is that your guess or is that stated somewhere? I wouldn't be too surprised if he started in High A W/S and finished up in Birmingham. Just depends on if they wanna rush him and if they feel he is ready. With Broadway, Floyd, Gio, and Egbert, I don't think there's too much of a need to rush him thru.

Daver
12-23-2007, 07:27 PM
Is that your guess or is that stated somewhere? I wouldn't be too surprised if he started in High A W/S and finished up in Birmingham. Just depends on if they wanna rush him and if they feel he is ready. With Broadway, Floyd, Gio, and Egbert, I don't think there's too much of a need to rush him thru.

They'll rush him, the White Sox have a long, rich history of ruining young pitchers by rushing them to the MLB roster.

the1tab
12-24-2007, 11:17 AM
Which of these kids becomes the next Chris Young? Is it Carter (now in Oakland)? I understand that most of us see 2-4 nice big league capable prospects in the system right now, but my fear is Kenny playing for today and us seeing a former Sox farmhand stroking like Young did in Arizona last year.

rdivaldi
12-24-2007, 11:41 AM
Which of these kids becomes the next Chris Young?

I don't know which kids you are referring to; however, no player the Sox have traded in the past year have anywhere near the talent ceiling of Young.

jabrch
12-24-2007, 01:16 PM
a former Sox farmhand stroking like Young did in Arizona last year.

First off - I wouldn't call him a farmhand - he was much more than that.

Second, we got great value for him.

Third, he is stroking to the tune of a sub .300 OBP. We can get that sort of stroking inside between BA/Sweeney/Owens.

Hitmen77
01-03-2008, 04:25 PM
Fields isn't eligible.

I'll say:

1. Gio
2. DLS
3. Poreda
5. Sweeney

1. Gio HE GONE!
2. DLS HE GONE!

5. Sweeney HE GONE!

Optipessimism
01-03-2008, 06:23 PM
Top pitching prospect: Aaron Poreda
Top position prospect: John Shelby?

We had better start spending some money on the draft and going over slot.

California Sox
01-03-2008, 08:23 PM
Top pitching prospect: Aaron Poreda
Top position prospect: John Shelby?

We had better start spending some money on the draft and going over slot.

I'd like Shelby a hell of a lot more if he had stayed at second.

Is it possible that Jose Martinez is their best position prospect? :whiner:

If Gomes could play center maybe he'd be it. Or you could argue that at least Francisco Hernandez plays a premium position. Maybe it's super utility guy Alexei Ramirez.

Whatever. It's a tough situation. I wonder if BA is going to name our top prospect "the eighth pick in the draft" and be done with it.