PDA

View Full Version : Needs and Luxuries: Chicago White Sox

Big Hurt #35=HOF
12-18-2007, 07:01 AM
Read an article on MLB trade rumors: "Needs and Luxuries: Chicago White Sox"

OK, I finally am giving up on Juan Pierre! Mainly because of his contract situation; what we would have to give up, and his poor OBP! Not to mention his poor arm in CF (I could live with it). Still love his stolen bases and average at the top of the order, but what we would have to give up and his contract @ 5 years around $9mm a year make me re-think this move. Yes, if Owens can get his average up, he is Pierre.

I still want to get excited about this year! Just be competitive and give us some hope for the future. This article at least made me think.

It mentions Lofton, Freel, D Dejesus, and explains their upside etc.

Off Pierre and now I am now on the Figgins kick (for possibly Crede). I love his stolen bases, he can play anywhere, decent average and OBP, and can lead off! Maybe Figgins and one of these other guys can get me going a little.

What do you "guys" think about: Freel, Lofton, D Dejesus? Pair one of them up with Figgins and we have some decent OBP and speed.

So this leads me to another poll!

hi im skot
12-18-2007, 08:17 AM
Boy, when you have an idea, you really don't let it go...

If you're down on Pierre, why is he in the poll? Or in every thread you start?

http://i79.photobucket.com/albums/j146/sschaaf/_MG_2909.jpg

spawn
12-18-2007, 08:50 AM
Ichiro. Hey, you asked who we'd like to see in CF, not who we liked that was available.

Chicken Dinner
12-18-2007, 09:47 AM
Unfortunately, what we would like and what we get are two completely different things

Big Hurt #35=HOF
12-18-2007, 10:05 AM
Boy, when you have an idea, you really don't let it go...

If you're down on Pierre, why is he in the poll? Or in every thread you start?

http://i79.photobucket.com/albums/j146/sschaaf/_MG_2909.jpg

On the poll because he is an option that has been discussed. I am down on him, but if he could get his OBP up I think he would be great. I also believe if we had him in 2006, we make the playoffs! There I said it!

I still want to be competitive this year, or rebuild!!

If we still want to be competitive then I'm now on the Figgins kick! Or maybe its time to blow up the whole thing up and go really young. Trade Paulie and Vasquez, etc etc--See new thread regarding the CBS sportsline article!

btrain929
12-18-2007, 10:06 AM
The more I think about it, the more I like the idea of acquiring David DeJesus from KC. He's a career .280/.360 hitter. I know KC won't be giving him away, but I don't think they'd ask for a King's randsom, either. He's someone who can leadoff, and CF is actually his natural position in the bigs. From what I remember, his arm isn't too bad, either. I wonder if they would look for big league talent in return or maybe a few promising arms. (McCullough and Aardsma). Probably not enough, but you know what I'm getting at...

spawn
12-18-2007, 10:09 AM
If we still want to be competitive then I'm now on the Figgins kick! Or maybe its time to blow up the whole thing up and go really young. Trade Paulie and Vasquez, etc etc--See new thread regarding the CBS sportsline article!
It's V-A-Z-Q-U-E-Z. Why is that so difficult for people???

btrain929
12-18-2007, 10:19 AM

No ****. With as many times as it's misspelled, you would think people were trying to spell Saltalamacchia.

Big Hurt #35=HOF
12-18-2007, 10:35 AM
The more I think about it, the more I like the idea of acquiring David DeJesus from KC. He's a career .280/.360 hitter. I know KC won't be giving him away, but I don't think they'd ask for a King's randsom, either. He's someone who can leadoff, and CF is actually his natural position in the bigs. From what I remember, his arm isn't too bad, either. I wonder if they would look for big league talent in return or maybe a few promising arms. (McCullough and Aardsma). Probably not enough, but you know what I'm getting at...

Dejesus:
Not enough speed for me
Already 28 years old - if we are re-building?
Avg dropped down last year to .260 from .295 when he got more at bats
Hit .240 v lefties last year
I do like his overall OBP and Avg, but I think KC will ask to much. What about J. Gathright? I thought the SOX should have tried to take a shot at him when he was on Tampa.

WizardsofOzzie
12-18-2007, 10:36 AM
Read an article on MLB trade rumors: "Needs and Luxuries: Chicago White Sox"

OK, I finally am giving up on Juan Pierre! Mainly because of his contract situation; what we would have to give up, and his poor OBP! Not to mention his poor arm in CF (I could live with it). Still love his stolen bases and average at the top of the order, but what we would have to give up and his contract @ 5 years around $9mm a year make me re-think this move. Yes, if Owens can get his average up, he is Pierre.

I still want to get excited about this year! Just be competitive and give us some hope for the future. This article at least made me think.

It mentions Lofton, Freel, D Dejesus, and explains their upside etc.

Off Pierre and now I am now on the Figgins kick (for possibly Crede). I love his stolen bases, he can play anywhere, decent average and OBP, and can lead off! Maybe Figgins and one of these other guys can get me going a little.

What do you "guys" think about: Freel, Lofton, D Dejesus? Pair one of them up with Figgins and we have some decent OBP and speed.

So this leads me to another poll!

:thumbsup:

Maybe West can put something in that automatically converts the text to correct spelling, similar to what he did with Bmac

Big Hurt #35=HOF
12-18-2007, 10:37 AM
Other is leading my poll, who is the other???

Big Hurt #35=HOF
12-18-2007, 10:39 AM
:thumbsup:

Maybe West can put something in that automatically converts the text to correct spelling, similar to what he did with Fingernails on a blackboard

We got BIGGER things to worry about than my spelling. Sorry no disrespect to VAZQUEZ, 15-8 was solid!

spawn
12-18-2007, 10:44 AM
We got BIGGER things to worry about than my spelling. Sorry no disrespect to VAZQUEZ, 15-8 was solid!
Consistently misspelling his name is disrespectful...at least you finally got it right.

WizardsofOzzie
12-18-2007, 10:45 AM

Ryan Sweeney

WizardsofOzzie
12-18-2007, 10:46 AM
Consistently misspelling his name is disrespectful...at least you finally got it right.
Wait until he misplaces a comma and Kittle42 gets a hold of him :D:

Big Hurt #35=HOF
12-18-2007, 10:50 AM
Ryan Sweeney

I hope that is a joke. Maybe LF; for the Tampa-LOL

WizardsofOzzie
12-18-2007, 10:52 AM
I hope that is a joke. Maybe LF; for the Tampa-LOL

Yes, the teal color implies sarcasm on the boards

chisox77
12-18-2007, 10:53 AM
I predict that somebody will play, or attempt to play CF for the White Sox in 2008.

:cool:

btrain929
12-18-2007, 10:55 AM
Dejesus:
Not enough speed for me
Already 28 years old - if we are re-building?
Avg dropped down last year to .260 from .295 when he got more at bats
Hit .240 v lefties last year
I do like his overall OBP and Avg, but I think KC will ask to much. What about J. Gathright? I thought the SOX should have tried to take a shot at him when he was on Tampa.

As of right now, we aren't rebuilding.

.260 isn't great, but if he can couple that with a .350 obp, that's not too bad. I expect him to hit back around .280 this year.

I don't think he would take TOO much to acquire.

.240 against lefties isn't too good. But still I think he's the best option that plays CF, can leadoff, won't cost us a lot of money, and won't cost us an arm and a leg.

Big Hurt #35=HOF
12-18-2007, 11:11 AM
As of right now, we aren't rebuilding.

.260 isn't great, but if he can couple that with a .350 obp, that's not too bad. I expect him to hit back around .280 this year.

I don't think he would take TOO much to acquire.

.240 against lefties isn't too good. But still I think he's the best option that plays CF, can leadoff, won't cost us a lot of money, and won't cost us an arm and a leg.

I think Dejesus hit better v. lefties prior to last year, and I agree he is not a bad option. What about Gathright? He could be had for less then Dejesus and to me has a lot of upside. When he got more at bats last year he hit .307, got his OBP up to .371 and hit .282 v. lefties. I know he can really burn. I wonder if he can learn how to steal?

Seems like a decent low risk, high reward chance?

russ99
12-18-2007, 11:13 AM
What, no love for Coco?

I think when all is said and done, Covelli Crisp will be in CF for the Sox in 2008.

kittle42
12-18-2007, 11:17 AM
Wait until he misplaces a comma and Kittle42 gets a hold of him :D:

I'm just trying to figure out how the last few new posters who I was convinced were 15 or younger are somehow older than I am.

Big Hurt #35=HOF
12-18-2007, 11:19 AM
What, no love for Coco?

I think when all is said and done, Covelli Crisp will be in CF for the Sox in 2008.

I should have included Crisp on this poll. I was interested in Crisp a little while ago but was reminded of his horrible OBP, and what it might take for us to get him. I do think Kenny is at least taking it into consideration, but I think Coco will be in the Santana deal, or someone else will overpay to get him.

Not even sure what I would be willing to give up for Coco??

Big Hurt #35=HOF
12-18-2007, 11:27 AM
I'm just trying to figure out how the last few new posters who I was convinced were 15 or younger are somehow older than I am.

Try and be happy! Don't be so picky and let little stuff bother you. You will enjoy life more and avoid a lot of headaches.

Were you referring to me in your quote?-LOL

40's are the new 15's!!!!!

soxfan21
12-18-2007, 11:40 AM
It's not misspelled if you meant Carlos Vasquez.

CubsfansareDRUNK
12-18-2007, 11:51 AM

Agreed. Check the sig :tongue:

Nellie_Fox
12-18-2007, 02:08 PM

No ****. With as many times as it's misspelled, you would think people were trying to spell Saltalamacchia.

It's just a "typo." You knew what he meant, so what's the big deal? You people need to lighten up.

jabrch
12-18-2007, 02:21 PM

Other = everyone else OTHER than who you gave as choices.

In my mind, other is Carlos Beltran.

munchman33
12-18-2007, 02:29 PM
Rowand

spawn
12-18-2007, 02:45 PM
Other = everyone else OTHER than who you gave as choices.

In my mind, other is Carlos Beltran.
My other is Ichiro.

the1tab
12-18-2007, 03:02 PM
I'm just throwing this out there... please don't start another BA for President thread... but how are more people voting for BA than for anyone else on the list at this point (3 pm CST Tuesday). Has nobody else had enough of BA? I would take Figgins in a heartbeat because he fills the role Podsednik did for 55 games the last two years... speed.

On the Podsednik point, did Nathan Vasher and ScottyPods hang out this summer? Because I've never seen two groins keep players out for 6 months each before. That's almost silly. I know it's key to the explosive movement of basestealing/playing cornerback, but seriously... other guys hurt their groins too and they make it back within the same decade.

Anyways, back to the CF question at hand, I am resigned to the reality that Owens will start the season in CF w/ Quentin in LF and Dye in RF. The order will be a little above average, the pitching staff the same barely-above-mediocre it was for most of last year, and we'll be talking about rebuilding in June.

I beg for anyone to give me reason to believe otherwise.

spiffie
12-18-2007, 03:10 PM
I'm just throwing this out there... please don't start another BA for President thread... but how are more people voting for BA than for anyone else on the list at this point (3 pm CST Tuesday). Has nobody else had enough of BA? I would take Figgins in a heartbeat because he fills the role Podsednik did for 55 games the last two years... speed.

On the Podsednik point, did Nathan Vasher and ScottyPods hang out this summer? Because I've never seen two groins keep players out for 6 months each before. That's almost silly. I know it's key to the explosive movement of basestealing/playing cornerback, but seriously... other guys hurt their groins too and they make it back within the same decade.

Anyways, back to the CF question at hand, I am resigned to the reality that Owens will start the season in CF w/ Quentin in LF and Dye in RF. The order will be a little above average, the pitching staff the same barely-above-mediocre it was for most of last year, and we'll be talking about rebuilding in June.

I beg for anyone to give me reason to believe otherwise.
Most likely because Brian Anderson wouldn't cost the Sox Crede, Gio Gonzalez, and likely one more prospect, as that is realistically what the Angels will want for Figgins. This insane idea that so many people that the Halos are waiting on pins and needles to trade Figgins for Crede is amazing both in its lack of realism and its endurance in the WSI mindset.

spawn
12-18-2007, 03:31 PM
Most likely because Brian Anderson wouldn't cost the Sox Crede, Gio Gonzalez, and likely one more prospect, as that is realistically what the Angels will want for Figgins. This insane idea that so many people that the Halos are waiting on pins and needles to trade Figgins for Crede is amazing both in its lack of realism and its endurance in the WSI mindset.
Word.

SoxNation05
12-18-2007, 03:40 PM
I do not think Joe Crede will not be on our team this year because KW has stated that Josh Fields will be in the minors if Crede starts and I don't think sending Fields down is smart.

cards press box
12-18-2007, 05:11 PM

I voted for "other" and, at the end of the offseason, I also think that Coco Crisp will play CF for the Sox in 2008. He did not have a great offensive year in Boston in 2007 but he is a top notch defender and is young enough to develop as an offensive player. I also don't think that Crisp will go to Minnesota because ultimately, the Steinbrenners will lose their patience and give the Twins the players they want for Johan Santana.

ShoelessJoeS
12-18-2007, 07:10 PM
I do not think Joe Crede will not be on our team this year because KW has stated that Josh Fields will be in the minors if Crede starts and I don't think sending Fields down is smart.If anything IS certain, it's that Josh Fields will NOT be in AAA in 2008.

thomas35forever
12-18-2007, 07:11 PM
I was looking at mlbtraderumors.com and the author of an entry recommended the Sox either trade for David DeJesus or sign Kenny Lofton and Ryan Freel. I'd take Ryan Freel any day in a heartbeat, but I'd rather play him with DeJesus. They're both young and would give us two options for CF. I don't wanna see Lofton back with the Sox though. We don't need another Erstad disaster. The lineup could look something like this.

CF - DeJesus
SS - Cabrera
DH - Thome
1B - Konerko
RF - Dye
3B - Crede
LF - Freel
C - Pierzynski
2B - Richar

DickAllen72
12-18-2007, 07:34 PM
I was looking at mlbtraderumors.com and the author of an entry recommended the Sox either trade for David DeJesus or sign Kenny Lofton and Ryan Freel. I'd take Ryan Freel any day in a heartbeat, but I'd rather play him with DeJesus. They're both young and would give us two options for CF. I don't wanna see Lofton back with the Sox though. We don't need another Erstad disaster. The lineup could look something like this.

CF - DeJesus
SS - Cabrera
DH - Thome
1B - Konerko
RF - Dye
3B - Crede
LF - Freel
C - Pierzynski
2B - Richar
What happens with Quentin and Fields?

thomas35forever
12-18-2007, 07:39 PM
What happens with Quentin and Fields?
Whoops, kind of spaced out on Fields. Not sure about him, but Quentin would be a reserve.

kwkonsl
12-18-2007, 08:10 PM
fields plays third
freel can play left or second ( he played second for 2 years before they Brandon Phillips arrived )
Quentin and Richar battle it out in ST and the one who looks the best plays
i think Quentin is more major league ready and should start. Thats not saying I dislike Richar i just think Quentin brings more experience and has a much better OBP even with a bad average.

Either way I dont think we get both of them. It would be nice though

DeJesus CF
Cabrera SS
Konerko 1b
Thome DH
Dye RF
AJ C
Fields 3b
Quentin LF
Freel 2b

Lukin13
12-18-2007, 08:11 PM
I think we'd go with Owens instead of Lofton at this point.... I just hope it isn't in CF.

& Fields will start in either LF or 3B next year.

Tragg
12-18-2007, 08:44 PM
With whom would we part to get Freel and De Jesus?

oeo
12-18-2007, 09:06 PM
Dealing even more minor league pieces in order to acquire another veteran is stupid considering where this team stands right now. We should be looking to get younger, not trading our young pieces for more veterans.

Freel is 31, and cannot stay healthy. Want a young, healthy centerfielder? Stay away from Freel, he's the exact opposite.

ShoelessJoeS
12-18-2007, 10:17 PM
Dealing even more minor league pieces in order to acquire another veteran is stupid considering where this team stands right now. We should be looking to get younger, not trading our young pieces for more veterans.

Freel is 31, and cannot stay healthy. Want a young, healthy centerfielder? Stay away from Freel, he's the exact opposite.What about Erstad? Is he still available?

Big Hurt #35=HOF
12-19-2007, 06:59 PM
fields plays third
freel can play left or second ( he played second for 2 years before they Brandon Phillips arrived )
Quentin and Richar battle it out in ST and the one who looks the best plays
i think Quentin is more major league ready and should start. Thats not saying I dislike Richar i just think Quentin brings more experience and has a much better OBP even with a bad average.

Either way I dont think we get both of them. It would be nice though

DeJesus CF
Cabrera SS
Konerko 1b
Thome DH
Dye RF
AJ C
Fields 3b
Quentin LF
Freel 2b

I dont think thats too bad

Big Hurt #35=HOF
12-19-2007, 07:01 PM
I voted for "other" and, at the end of the offseason, I also think that Coco Crisp will play CF for the Sox in 2008. He did not have a great offensive year in Boston in 2007 but he is a top notch defender and is young enough to develop as an offensive player. I also don't think that Crisp will go to Minnesota because ultimately, the Steinbrenners will lose their patience and give the Twins the players they want for Johan Santana.

His OBP is terrible!!!

soxfanreggie
12-19-2007, 10:05 PM
Well, we could probably save money on the Lofton jerseys if we haven't sold them all. Maybe the equipment guy still saved his name plate and everything else as well.

I wouldn't mind seeing Figgins here, or anyone who is an upgrade, until Jerry Owens shows me something more than what he did last year. I could see him being an option off the bench, but he's not the quality of player, yet, that I want to see out there.