PDA

View Full Version : Jim Thome

rwcescato
12-18-2007, 12:18 AM
I work at Portillos and I was busy at lunch as usual in the drive up. I say what number are you sir i mean Jim. As busy as we can be it was fun to see Jim Thome in the Drive up ordering food just like the rest of us. A teenager was pushing food outside and he was so amazed he said he made his day. Over the years I have seen quite a few White Sox players come into Portillos drive up or inside. Its always fun to have them around.

Rich:supernana:

PalehosePlanet
12-18-2007, 12:21 AM
I work at Portillos and I was busy at lunch as usual in the drive up. I say what number are you sir i mean Jim. As busy as we can be it was fun to see Jim Thome in the Drive up ordering food just like the rest of us. A teenager was pushing food outside and he was so amazed he said he made his day. Over the years I have seen quite a few White Sox players come into Portillos drive up or inside. Its always fun to have them around.

He looked in good shape I hope?

MUsoxfan
12-18-2007, 01:06 AM

He was until after a couple of the Beef&Cheddar Croissants and a Chocolate Cake Shake:tongue:

WhiteSox5187
12-18-2007, 01:10 AM
Last summer I was working at a Walgreen's downtown and when I was the cashier I would chat with the customers (unless it was extraordinarily busy) and towards the very end of my shift there are some customers in line and I ask them "where are you from?" and they say St. Louis, so we got to talking about the Cardinals and they happen to ask what's the deal with Mark Buerhle, who at the time appeared to be on the brink of being traded. I said I hope we re-sign him, and at this point a gentleman stands behind them so I have to get them moving, and the old guy from St. Louis said "Well...if you guys would give him the damned money I'm sure he'd stay!" and I said "I have an arrangement with Kenny Williams where Mr. Buerhle gets a portion of my paycheck every week!"

The guy behind the folks from St. Louis started laughing and I look up and who is it? None other than Mark Buerhle! He was there buying a quart of milk...I was just so flabbergasted I couldn't say anything except "Good luck next time out there, sir!" He was a very nice guy but appeared to be exhausted (the Sox had another rain delay that night).

I also met Mrs. Darin Erstad at the checkout line the day before opening day, she was buying a bunch of stuff and swiped her card and had to sign and I looked at the signature and said "Oh, Erstad. Like Darin Erstad." "Yea, he's my husband." So I mentioned what a big Sox fan I was and how I was very glad that we picked him up and said "Tell him to give the Indians hell tomorrow!" She laughed and left. The next day was Opening Day and Erstad hit a HR...I still take credit for that.

eriqjaffe
12-18-2007, 08:28 AM
I also met Mrs. Darin Erstad at the checkout line the day before opening day, she was buying a bunch of stuff and swiped her card and had to sign and I looked at the signature and said "Oh, Erstad. Like Darin Erstad." "Yea, he's my husband." So I mentioned what a big Sox fan I was and how I was very glad that we picked him up and said "Tell him to give the Indians hell tomorrow!" She laughed and left. The next day was Opening Day and Erstad hit a HR...I still take credit for that.Was she buying a pair of crutches?

rwcescato
12-18-2007, 08:32 AM

He looked ready to play. Amazing some of these players stay in town.

skobabe8
12-18-2007, 08:44 AM

He might be the only one.

jabrch
12-18-2007, 08:51 AM

Round is a shape too...

Chicken Dinner
12-18-2007, 09:43 AM
What kind of car was he driving???

chisoxmike
12-18-2007, 10:00 AM
He might be the only one.

Jenks lives next to him.

The Immigrant
12-18-2007, 10:04 AM

He looked in great shape at the Blackhawks game a couple of weeks ago.

chisox77
12-18-2007, 11:08 AM
Portillo's is the place to be for a good lunch. Love that Italian Beef. It's one of the best places for comfort food. Glad to read that Jim Thome eats there as well.

:cool:

Kittle'sNeighbor
12-18-2007, 12:01 PM
I saw Paulie a few times last week. He lives pretty close to me.

I haven't seen him at Luke's Beef though. But I see everybody else with a Chicago connection there.

rwcescato
12-18-2007, 12:41 PM
What kind of car was he driving???

A SUV of some sort. I was kind of busy to notice.

skottyj242
12-18-2007, 01:53 PM
What did he order?

eriqjaffe
12-18-2007, 03:01 PM
What did he order?Three beefs, two onion rings, one fries and a center fielder.

slavko
12-18-2007, 03:09 PM
Just your average regular big lug of a guy who makes $18,000,000 a year. I have to wonder what these guys think of us deep down inside, since some of us make $18,000 a year. It would be hard for some people not to develop a healthy case of contempt, no matter how good our intentions were in the first place. I suppose all a star player needs is to be able to hide it well.

thecip
12-18-2007, 03:20 PM
What did he order?

For some reason I picture Thome ordering a big side of ribs that tips his car over like the Flintstones.

35th&Shields
12-18-2007, 03:49 PM

Which Portillo's?

gamblinkenny
12-18-2007, 04:45 PM
was it the new portillos in willowbrook? real close to his crib in hinsdale.

I met Paul Konerko outside Beaumont's downtown during the 05 season. He was leaving with Ross Gload and some other guys at about 3:30am. PK forever gained my respect, he stood around and Bull Spitted with us for a good 15 minutes...a serious dude. Oh, and they had a noon fox game the next day, true story.

Saw AJ at the Store in Lincoln Park last summer, he was less friendly.

AZChiSoxFan
12-18-2007, 04:57 PM
Was she buying a pair of crutches?

:rolling::rolling:

AZChiSoxFan
12-18-2007, 04:58 PM
I saw Paulie a few times last week. He lives pretty close to me.

I haven't seen him at Luke's Beef though. But I see everybody else with a Chicago connection there.

You should change your name to Paulie's Nieghbor. :redneck

Save McCuddy's
12-18-2007, 07:06 PM
Thome drives a Tahoe -- like champagne or beige or gold of some sort. I saw him a month or so ago in it and when he turned to look out the window, his mug completely filled the frame. He is cartoonishly large.

SoxxoS
12-18-2007, 09:07 PM
I saw him and his wife at PF Changs last year...and his wife looks Charlize Theron's sister or something...very good looking.

12-18-2007, 10:15 PM
Did he pay cash???

Frontman
12-18-2007, 10:50 PM
It's always a great moment to see players like that being just "normal;" yet realizing that he might make a person's day by talking for a few minutes, a handshake, or even a smile and a wave.

I'll never forget how Mark waved to my son during the 2006 season when at Toys R Us for a signing. (Little did I know you needed to buy tickets in advance. But hey, my son was 4 at the time; like he understands what an autograph is.) But for days after that, all I heard from my boy was "Daddy, what's Mark Buehrle doing today? Is he at Toys R Us again? Oh, he's at home? He's probably watching TV. What's he watching?" The next day, "Daddy, what's Mark Buehrle doing? Oh, its a road trip? Does he pitch today? Will he stop by Toys R Us again when he gets back?" (I had to track down a Buehrle autograph after that for him. He just loves Mark and all things Buehrle now. And he was one of those kids we were afraid would never talk, and still wasn't talking much at age 4. Goes to show that White Sox baseball can fix just about anything.)

And if I live to be 100, I'll never forget Ed Farmer coming into my post office with his World Series ring, and just talking baseball for 15-20 minutes; letting all of us hold the ring. And what made that one of those "just like you and me" moments was when I talked to him about growing up in Bridgeport, it was "What parish were you from?" (I mean, not what street, not what block, what parish. Who talks like that anymore? That was just neat to hear that question again.) That was pure Southside Catholic, and when I said, "Nativity of Our Lord" without a second beat, he smiled and we just started talking about the Sox, the Southside, etc.