PDA

View Full Version : Phil Rogers

WSox73
12-17-2007, 05:00 PM
I'm surprised this hasn't been posted yet. On the Tribune Hardball blog, Phil Rogers thinks KW should offer Orlando Cabrera a long term deal and sign him by Christmas. If Cabrera is really serious about testing the free agent market after next season, trade him now as the Sox have only "a small chance" of doing anything this year. Can someone post the link to this?

SoxNation05
12-17-2007, 05:07 PM
Honestly most people expect the Sox to trade Crede for Figgins during ST. Every single person on WSI thinks Orlando is better than Miguel Tejada. So if we can get Figgins put him at short and get an even bigger haul than the O's got I think that would make a lot of sense.

Tragg
12-17-2007, 06:46 PM
Every single person on WSI thinks Orlando is better than Miguel Tejada.
Hmmmm. I see you missed a lot of posts about trading 1/2 our team Tejada. There is (or was) some major Tejada love on this board.

Unfortunately, WSI persons aren't baseball GMs, so the haul may not be there. Orlando's bat isn't near what Tejada's is, so I doubt the "haul" would be teither.

The Sox get a 1st round draft choice for him if he walks. So, a trade needs to bring something, and the Sox haven't been overly successful recently in trading players in the walk year for prospects.

santo=dorf
12-17-2007, 07:06 PM
Honestly most people expect the Sox to trade Crede for Figgins during ST. Every single person on WSI thinks Orlando is better than Miguel Tejada. So if we can get Figgins put him at short and get an even bigger haul than the O's got I think that would make a lot of sense.
Speak for yourself, and if that's the case, I would've gladly traded Garland or Cabrera to Houston for the package the O's received.

SoxNation05
12-17-2007, 07:08 PM
Speak for yourself, and if that's the case, I would've gladly traded Garland or Cabrera to Houston for the package the O's received.
As would I.

SoxNation05
12-17-2007, 07:21 PM
Orlando Cabrera is better for than Tejada for these reasons:

1. Cabrera is one of the best fielding SSs in the Majors
2. Cabrera is a great guy to have on the team and is a great leader
3. Tejada was on roids
4. Tejada is a complete butcher on the field
5. Cabrera is a sure handed bat holder (what we needed)

I'm sure we could probably not get the same haul the O's got but if we could do a three way trade. Trade Cabrera to someone for prospects. Trade those prospects and Floyd and Poreda? for Bedard and Roberts. Richar was a shortstop so teach him how to play again and we will have a better staff.

Brian26
12-17-2007, 09:51 PM
If Cabrera is really serious about testing the free agent market after next season, trade him now as the Sox have only "a small chance" of doing anything this year.

I think the public relations disaster and long term ramifications of a move like this would be more devastating than the White Flag Trade of '97. Just because Kenny failed to land a free agent centerfielder, Rogers is suggesting that the Sox effectively forfeit the season before it even starts? Forget that.

One thing I've always said is that Sox teams seem to play the best when they have a chip on their shoulder and something to prove. That definitely wasn't the case in '06, being World Champions, and it probably wasn't the case last year as the World Series hangover was just wearing off. The way things are going so far this winter, there should be some pissed off guys in Spring Training. Hopefully that translates to a nice season.

Tragg
12-18-2007, 12:23 AM
I think that the Sox, especially Ozzie, will like Cabrera a lot.
From afar, I think there's a chance we extend him before all is done.

PalehosePlanet
12-18-2007, 01:19 AM
I think the public relations disaster and long term ramifications of a move like this would be more devastating than the White Flag Trade of '97. Just because Kenny failed to land a free agent centerfielder, Rogers is suggesting that the Sox effectively forfeit the season before it even starts? Forget that.

One thing I've always said is that Sox teams seem to play the best when they have a chip on their shoulder and something to prove. That definitely wasn't the case in '06, being World Champions, and it probably wasn't the case last year as the World Series hangover was just wearing off. The way things are going so far this winter, there should be some pissed off guys in Spring Training. Hopefully that translates to a nice season.

You're dead on with this, I agree 100%. Besides the PR disaster all of our veterans would lose heart before the season even started.

A terrible idea by Rogers. He gets little more tabloidish with every read.

gobears1987
12-18-2007, 01:57 AM
Orlando Cabrera is better for than Tejada for these reasons:

1. Cabrera is one of the best fielding SSs in the Majors
2. Cabrera is a great guy to have on the team and is a great leader
3. Tejada was on roids
4. Tejada is a complete butcher on the field

I agree on all points.

Gammons Peter
12-18-2007, 12:43 PM

Bat holder??, certainly don't want him dropping the bat

russ99
12-18-2007, 04:56 PM

Boy, you guys won't put that Garland to Houston deal from last offseason to rest.

First of all, why would the Sox re-trade Cabrera a month after getting him?!?
Secondly, while Cabrera was exactly what the Sox needed, Tejada is what the Astros needed. They're not comparable players:

Cabrera's a plus-defender, a speed guy and bats 1 or 2, signed for 1 year. Tejada's a declining defender, a power guy and bats 3 or 5, signed for 2 years and should have a great season playing in the Juice Box (has a new meaning now...) and pounding lesser NL pitching.

Neither one is a fit to each other, and I seriously doubt Wade would have offered or taken a similar package for either Garland or Cabrera, as both are FAs next offseason and neither is a former AL MVP, juice or not.

mjmcend
12-18-2007, 05:41 PM
Cabrera's a plus-defender, a speed guy and bats 1 or 2, signed for 1 year. Tejada's a declining defender, a power guy and bats 3 or 5, signed for 2 years and should have a great season playing in the Juice Box (has a new meaning now...) and pounding lesser NL pitching.

Cabrera isn't and has never been a leadoff hitter.

santo=dorf
12-18-2007, 07:03 PM
Secondly, while Cabrera was exactly what the Sox needed, Tejada is what the Astros needed. They're not comparable players:

Neither one is a fit to each other, and I seriously doubt Wade would have offered or taken a similar package for either Garland or Cabrera, as both are FAs next offseason and neither is a former AL MVP, juice or not.
I was simply responding the post which compared the two players that said "
Every single person on WSI thinks Orlando is better than Miguel Tejada." not "Every single person on WSI thinks Orlando is better fit for the White Sox than Miguel Tejada."