PDA

View Full Version : Funny article regarding Big Hurt and Roids

JDub35
12-17-2007, 12:12 PM
Forgive me if this article has already been posted.....

http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/subscriber/columnists/top3/story/4092691p-4690710c.html

rdivaldi
12-17-2007, 12:18 PM

http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/subscriber/columnists/top3/story/4092691p-4690710c.html

Even if it has, that's a good read and just reinforces Frank's stature as a first ballot HOF'er.

sox1970
12-17-2007, 01:07 PM

"See that guy over there?" Thomas said. "See the pipes on him? Well, that boy's a lot bigger than they used to make baseball players."

Ya think Frank was talking about Brad Fullmer? I sure do.

WhiteSox5187
12-17-2007, 01:16 PM
I think it was in '95 or so that Tony Gwynn and Frank Thomas both told the LA Times that players were using "some serious stuff" to increase their power numbers and both the MLB and MLBPA were turning a blind eye towards in order to increase the popularity of the game. Frank has been screaming about this over ten years now (while still not breaking the player's code of talking about stuff going on in the clubhouse, like naming names or whatever). I understand why Frank has been screaming for so long because there is no doubt in my mind that all the numbers he put up were legit and seeing guys like Sosa, McGwire and Bonds put up illegitmate numbers made him think "This is just going to minimize my accomplishments and even worse people are going to suspect me!" Frank was trying to protect the game and his own legacy, a noble thing to do. I have the utmost respect for Frank and I think this whole scandal only helps remind people what a talent guys like Frank and Ken Griffey Jr were to baseball. Frank is undoubtedly a first ballot guy.

voodoochile
12-17-2007, 01:56 PM
I think it was in '95 or so that Tony Gwynn and Frank Thomas both told the LA Times that players were using "some serious stuff" to increase their power numbers and both the MLB and MLBPA were turning a blind eye towards in order to increase the popularity of the game. Frank has been screaming about this over ten years now (while still not breaking the player's code of talking about stuff going on in the clubhouse, like naming names or whatever). I understand why Frank has been screaming for so long because there is no doubt in my mind that all the numbers he put up were legit and seeing guys like Sosa, McGwire and Bonds put up illegitmate numbers made him think "This is just going to minimize my accomplishments and even worse people are going to suspect me!" Frank was trying to protect the game and his own legacy, a noble thing to do. I have the utmost respect for Frank and I think this whole scandal only helps remind people what a talent guys like Frank and Ken Griffey Jr were to baseball. Frank is undoubtedly a first ballot guy.

Which is why I am very skeptical of all the writers who are currently piling on and rushing to condemn their former heroes. It's not like steroids were a new thing. The effects were widely documented and obvious for all who really wanted to see them, but instead they chose to turn a blind eye to all of the cheating because it was easier for them and better for their careers to have inside access to the players and in turn write more "informed" stories.

None of them were willing to risk their cushy jobs, their free buffets, their by lines to actually do the research. Guys like Morrissey who has written another article ripping ShamME* and claiming to be innocent of knowing of wrong doing are simply now writing the articles they should have been writing 10 years ago when all of this really took off. I mean McGwire had andro in his locker and no one thought to dig a little deeper? Mac's words were good enough?

It's two-faced and hypocritical for these hacks to now be laying the smackdown on their former meal tickets. Windsocks the lot of 'em. Writing whatever they think will put them in tune with the current mood of their readers. Too bad none of them had the stones to stand up a decade ago and do their job. I don't think the fans' opinions about steroids has changed at all in the last 10 years. It's not like everyone was saying, "Yeah, they're juicing and I love it, did you see that blast ShamME* hit yesterday? WOOHOO! I hope they all start injecting whatever he is using." No, we just didn't have anyone in the press sticking up for the game we love so now the writers are trying to win our good graces back by pretending they had no idea and couldn't have done anything anyway.

What a load...

EndemicSox
12-17-2007, 02:26 PM
Which is why I am very skeptical of all the writers who are currently piling on and rushing to condemn their former heroes. It's not like steroids were a new thing. The effects were widely documented and obvious for all who really wanted to see them, but instead they chose to turn a blind eye to all of the cheating because it was easier for them and better for their careers to have inside access to the players and in turn write more "informed" stories.

None of them were willing to risk their cushy jobs, their free buffets, their by lines to actually do the research. Guys like Morrissey who has written another article ripping ShamME* and claiming to be innocent of knowing of wrong doing are simply now writing the articles they should have been writing 10 years ago when all of this really took off. I mean McGwire had andro in his locker and no one thought to dig a little deeper? Mac's words were good enough?

It's two-faced and hypocritical for these hacks to now be laying the smackdown on their former meal tickets. Windsocks the lot of 'em. Writing whatever they think will put them in tune with the current mood of their readers. Too bad none of them had the stones to stand up a decade ago and do their job. I don't think the fans' opinions about steroids has changed at all in the last 10 years. It's not like everyone was saying, "Yeah, they're juicing and I love it, did you see that blast ShamME* hit yesterday? WOOHOO! I hope they all start injecting whatever he is using." No, we just didn't have anyone in the press sticking up for the game we love so now the writers are trying to win our good graces back by pretending they had no idea and couldn't have done anything anyway.

What a load...

I don't think we can expect the media outlets that are in bed with the MLB to expose such things. Things can change, I hope...

Oblong
12-17-2007, 02:57 PM

What a load...

Could not agree more. Now they can get on their high horse.

spawn
12-17-2007, 03:08 PM

What I found funny about the McGwire/Sosa saga was when they found the andro, Sosa was asked if he did anything to get a boost, and he said he took vitamins. I take vitamins and work out, and I've never bulked up like he did. I thought it was bogus and he was doing something else, but as you said the sports writers didn't bother to dig deeper.