PDA

View Full Version : Andy Pettite admitting his HGH usage

illini81887
12-15-2007, 04:59 PM
http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news;_ylt=At4c08ulZs_Gk1H6wC7UbwE5nYcB?slug=ap-pettitte-hghadmission&prov=ap&type=lgnshttp://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news;_ylt=At4c08ulZs_Gk1H6wC7UbwE5nYcB?slug=ap-pettitte-hghadmission&prov=ap&type=lgns

WhiteSox5187
12-15-2007, 05:02 PM
This is devestating for Clemens I think, cuz this lends a lot of credibility to Mitchell's sources then...

itsnotrequired
12-15-2007, 05:18 PM
Stand-up move to come out and admit it. All it took was a year long special investigation.:redneck

Fenway
12-15-2007, 05:25 PM
"In 2002 I was injured. I had heard that human growth hormone could promote faster healing for my elbow," Pettitte said in the statement released to The Associated Press by agent Randy Hendricks.
Randy is also Roger's agent....Clemens is trapped now

Scottiehaswheels
12-15-2007, 05:52 PM
I love how Pettite qualifies everything with if's. IF I dissappointed people, IF what I did was an error of judgement.... Uh dude, if it wasn't, you wouldn't be exposed right now.

Fenway
12-15-2007, 06:14 PM
nyyfans.com not dealing with this well

Pettitte admits using HGH... (http://forums.nyyfans.com/showthread.php?goto=newpost&t=108388)

Trav
12-15-2007, 06:20 PM
Stand-up move to come out and admit it. All it took was a year long special investigation.:redneck

Not to me, he maintaines he didn't use it for an edge, just to heal faster. Uh... am I missing something? Isn't that how PEDs work? They allow faster recovery, thus not feeling fatigued so you can play as many innings in as many games as possible, as close to top performance as you can? And I am not saying he used more than the two times the evidence says he did, but it's awfully hard to believe that he would get exposed for his only two times.

fquaye149
12-15-2007, 06:24 PM
most people's idea of steroids and HGH is that they help you bulk up.

Remember how shocked everyone was jim parque's name was on the list?

Fenway
12-15-2007, 06:43 PM
The NY Daily News attacks

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/baseball/yankees/2007/12/15/2007-12-15_andy_pettitte_admits_using_human_growth_.html

Mod edit: Did you notice the copyright on the page? Copying more than half an article is more than fair use. You know this because you've been banned for this before on more than one occasion. You will now be banned again. See you in a month.

Paulwny
12-15-2007, 06:48 PM
The NY Daily News attacks

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/baseball/yankees/2007/12/15/2007-12-15_andy_pettitte_admits_using_human_growth_.html

I can't wait to see the reaction on the yank boards when someone posts this, so far a lot of ~ "andy is the man " and "he did it for the team not for personal gain".

itsnotrequired
12-15-2007, 06:53 PM
Not to me, he maintaines he didn't use it for an edge, just to heal faster. Uh... am I missing something? Isn't that how PEDs work? They allow faster recovery, thus not feeling fatigued so you can play as many innings in as many games as possible, as close to top performance as you can? And I am not saying he used more than the two times the evidence says he did, but it's awfully hard to believe that he would get exposed for his only two times.

It is still illegal whether he used it to get an edge, heal faster or gain an inflated sense of self worth.

Trav
12-15-2007, 07:45 PM
It is still illegal whether he used it to get an edge, heal faster or gain an inflated sense of self worth.

My point is that I don't even think he is admitting guilt while trying to get away with a bogus apology.

Fenway
12-15-2007, 07:49 PM
My point is that I don't even think he is admitting guilt while trying to get away with a bogus apology.

The key here is that Mitchell's source on both Pettitte and Clemens looks a lot more solid than it did 6 hours ago.

Roger has to fess up now or he will be finished.

The phone calls today between Pettitte, Clemens and the Hendrick brothers must have been something.

Trav
12-15-2007, 07:52 PM
The key here is that Mitchell's source on both Pettitte and Clemens looks a lot more solid than it did 6 hours ago.

Roger has to fess up now or he will be finished.

The phone calls today between Pettitte, Clemens and the Hendrick brothers must have been something.

What if Clemens doesn't fess up? What does he stand to lose? To me, it doesn't matter if he comes forward and "takes responsibility" by blaming injuries, or a trainer or whatever. It's the same as Parque saying "I was trying to buy vitamens and stuff". I don't see how it matter either way.

Fenway
12-15-2007, 08:02 PM
What if Clemens doesn't fess up? What does he stand to lose?

everything

http://www.cooperstownusa.com/cooperstown-ny.jpg

Frontman
12-15-2007, 08:10 PM
I love how Pettite qualifies everything with if's. IF I dissappointed people, IF what I did was an error of judgement.... Uh dude, if it wasn't, you wouldn't be exposed right now.

Actually, I can see him saying "if" as the broad fanbase of baseball will have some love him still, others find him despicable; while others will go "Who?"

Thus illustrating the very nature that a fanbase might have some intelligence, there will still be the dumb one's out there.

angiew
12-15-2007, 08:25 PM
Oh wow...Clemens is screwed. His "vehement" denials make him look like a bigger jackass to me now. He can come out and blame whoever he wants to, but IMO he's a huge liar. I'm really bummed about Pettittk, but not too terribly surprised. I don't think this makes him a bigger man for "coming forward" either, it doesn't count as "coming forward" when you've been already been called out.

slavko
12-15-2007, 08:33 PM
So he's saying that he took it at a time he was injured and not on a continuing basis? It's possible, I suppose. Clemens OTOH, seemed to change physically and maintain that change for a number of years. I don't think temporary use is possible in his case.

We didn't do too badly against either in the '05 WS.

WhiteSox5187
12-15-2007, 08:55 PM
everything

He lost that when the report came out on Friday...all Pettite's admission does is lend credibility to the report.

Trav
12-15-2007, 08:57 PM
everything

How do you figure? It isn't even clear what the HOF will decide to do with proven cheaters, how do you figure Clemens can win or lose it now? IMO, it's out of the player's hands now. Anyone who gets PUSHED FORWARD now will be just as guilty as Cansaco.

Foultips
12-15-2007, 09:03 PM
He lost that when the report came out on Friday...all Pettite's admission does is lend credibility to the report.

The writers will stiff him the way he and Mike Greenwell stiffed me when I was a bartender years ago. Tab was 38.80 they gave me 40.

Martinigirl
12-15-2007, 09:42 PM
If anyone really believes Pettite only did this for two days they are crazy.

Pettite clearly knew there was proof and was trying to minimize the damage by admitting something, but trying to deny he was a habitual user. Some people will happily buy that because they want to.

Nellie_Fox
12-16-2007, 01:38 AM
If anyone really believes Pettite only did this for two days they are crazy.

Pettite clearly knew there was proof and was trying to minimize the damage by admitting something, but trying to deny he was a habitual user. Some people will happily buy that because they want to.My thoughts exactly. Admit to something relatively small and then try to play the "stand up guy."

chaerulez
12-16-2007, 03:12 AM
How do you figure? It isn't even clear what the HOF will decide to do with proven cheaters, how do you figure Clemens can win or lose it now? IMO, it's out of the player's hands now. Anyone who gets PUSHED FORWARD now will be just as guilty as Cansaco.

The fact that McGwire isn't in the HOF.

Grzegorz
12-16-2007, 05:19 AM
What if Clemens doesn't fess up? What does he stand to lose?

everything

Fenway, you really feel that Clemens will not be voted in? Do you feel that his earlier achievements will be discarded because of the HGH issue?

soxfan13
12-16-2007, 06:48 AM
most people's idea of steroids and HGH is that they help you bulk up.

Remember how shocked everyone was jim parque's name was on the list?

Well the faster recovery time is what does help you bulk up but there are also other ways to take them so you dont "bulk" up.

FarWestChicago
12-16-2007, 07:25 AM
Fenway, you really feel that Clemens will not be voted in? Do you feel that his earlier achievements will be discarded because of the HGH issue?I certainly hope so. It's the same with Bonds. Clemens is no different than Bonds. Well, other than attempting to injure opponents. Bonds didn't do that.

Frontman
12-16-2007, 07:44 AM
Oh, the very best one now that I've heard since the report came out was last night's SportsCenter.

Tim Kurkjan's commentary on HGH:

"Human Growth Hormone does not make you bigger or stronger technically."

I just about died laughing. So, what part of "Growth" doesn't Kurkjan understand?!?!?!

That network is SO Yankee/Red Sox apologetic it isn't even funny.

fquaye149
12-16-2007, 09:09 AM
Well the faster recovery time is what does help you bulk up but there are also other ways to take them so you dont "bulk" up.

I understand this. But I bet if you asked 10 random baseball fans why players take steroids, at least 9 of them would say "to get bigger and stronger"

That's what happens when your poster boys are Clemens, Bonds, and McGwire--monstrous human beings!

ode to veeck
12-16-2007, 10:31 AM
My thoughts exactly. Admit to something relatively small and then try to play the "stand up guy."

As I say to our kids when they try this BS, "it ain't working Andy!"

Trav
12-16-2007, 10:51 AM
The fact that McGwire isn't in the HOF.

Perhaps, but McGwire isn't on of the top five in his position all time. Bonds and Clemens are. And isn't McGwire in the same boat? He hasn't admitted anything, but hasn't gotten in. Like I said, it make no never mind if Clemens confesses to using stuff only the times that are documented or not at all. Until he admits he did it for the same reasons Cansaco did it, I'm not going to believe what he says.

ode to veeck
12-16-2007, 10:59 AM
:shoeless

"If I'm not in, none of you cheaters should be either!"

Trav
12-16-2007, 11:28 AM

This is a pretty elementary question, but who exactly is in charge of the HOF? For some reason, I think that the MLB isn't in charge of it.

CLR01
12-16-2007, 12:34 PM
My thoughts exactly. Admit to something relatively small and then try to play the "stand up guy."

He must have spoke with Byrd. If only Pettitte had a dentist...

Brian26
12-16-2007, 12:37 PM
This is a pretty elementary question, but who exactly is in charge of the HOF? For some reason, I think that the MLB isn't in charge of it.

Simply, the HOF is in charge of the HOF. The Hall has a Board of Directors (last time I checked, Selig was on that Board, along with Joe Morgan and Frank Robison). The election of new members to the Hall is based on votes by the baseball writer's of america and the HOF veterans committee.

Trav
12-16-2007, 12:40 PM
Simply, the HOF is in charge of the HOF. The Hall has a Board of Directors (last time I checked, Selig was on that Board, along with Joe Morgan and Frank Robison). The election of new members to the Hall is based on votes by the baseball writer's of america and the HOF veterans committee.

So the board of directors are the group of people that have to determine whether or not to ban players from the HOF?

Trav
12-16-2007, 12:41 PM
He must have spoke with Byrd. If only Pettitte had a dentist...

I thought Byrd had a tumor?

fquaye149
12-16-2007, 12:52 PM
Perhaps, but McGwire isn't on of the top five in his position all time. Bonds and Clemens are. And isn't McGwire in the same boat? He hasn't admitted anything, but hasn't gotten in. Like I said, it make no never mind if Clemens confesses to using stuff only the times that are documented or not at all. Until he admits he did it for the same reasons Cansaco did it, I'm not going to believe what he says.

This is true. McGwire was a definite HOFer, but definitely not a "no-brainer" and probably not even a first-ballot.

Bonds and Clemens are the kind of players where if they're not in the HOF you would need an explanation (a la Pete Rose). McGwire, it's entirely possible (though not likely) he might have missed out even without the steroids scandal

kevin57
12-16-2007, 01:38 PM
I think it's better than pure speculation that McGuire was denied the HOF the first time out because many of the voters publicly stated that not voting him in was their way of saying 'no' to his (supposed) steroid use. Plus, as I recall, he wasn't even close to garnering a majority of ballots cast, let alone the 3/4 (?) necessary. Were it not for the 'roids cloud, he would at least have mustered more than 50% of the ballots.

I think many of them expected lovers of the game to applaud their courage, but at least for me, that wasn't forthcoming...many of the same 'courageous' voters said that their 'no' vote for McGuire was only for his first year of eligibility. They were going to make their 'statement' and then go back to business a usual.

white sox bill
12-16-2007, 03:16 PM
Oh, the very best one now that I've heard since the report came out was last night's SportsCenter.

Tim Kurkjan's commentary on HGH:

"Human Growth Hormone does not make you bigger or stronger technically."

I just about died laughing. So, what part of "Growth" doesn't Kurkjan understand?!?!?!

That network is SO Yankee/Red Sox apologetic it isn't even funny.

Hes actually right, gh won't do either by itself. Thats why strength athletes add a Testosterone based ester to thier cycle. GH just ties it all together and is more for fat burning and bringing the body back to its youth. GH is also useful when the user is on a strict diet because it helps the body retain muscle but sheds the fat. Its called "Growth" because it was orginally developed to help Dwarfism in children.

CLR01
12-16-2007, 03:47 PM
I thought Byrd had a tumor?

And from what I read it wasn't diagnosed until spring of this year yet he was on the HGH from '02-'05. Was he anticipating. And it still doesn't explain why his prescription came from a dentist working out of a shop that would later be busted for writing bogus prescriptions for HGH.

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news;_ylt=Av8Sji0xjF.ekbxjJeQDGfkRvLYF?slug=ti-byrdfollow102107&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?file=/c/a/2007/10/22/MN69STUND.DTL

I guess recently could mean 5 years ago.

Trav
12-16-2007, 03:50 PM
And from what I read it wasn't diagnosed until spring of this year yet he was on the HGH from '02-'05. Was he anticipating. And it still doesn't explain why his prescription came from a dentist working out of a shop that would later be busted for writing bogus prescriptions for HGH.

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news;_ylt=Av8Sji0xjF.ekbxjJeQDGfkRvLYF?slug=ti-byrdfollow102107&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?file=/c/a/2007/10/22/MN69STUND.DTL

I guess recently could mean 5 years ago.

haha That's classic. His dentist is very good, he sees things.

Paulwny
12-16-2007, 04:32 PM
Pettite's comment, over a year ago, after being named in the LA Times as one of the players accused by Jason Grimsley of using performance enhansing drugs.

From the NY Daily News-- Mike Lupica
When asked about the story at the time, here is what Andy Pettitte, who now says he has worked hard his entire life to do things the right way, said: "I've never used any drugs to enhance my performance in baseball. I don't know what to say except that it's embarrassing that my name would be out there."

Nellie_Fox
12-16-2007, 11:55 PM
So the board of directors are the group of people that have to determine whether or not to ban players from the HOF?Let's face it, the HOF needs the good will of MLB. Piss off MLB, and suddenly you don't get memorabilia shipped to you. MLB pressured the HOF to not allow anyone on the "permanently ineligible" list to appear on the ballot.

Trav
12-17-2007, 11:01 AM
Let's face it, the HOF needs the good will of MLB. Piss off MLB, and suddenly you don't get memorabilia shipped to you. MLB pressured the HOF to not allow anyone on the "permanently ineligible" list to appear on the ballot.

I suppose you do have a point, but what are the chances the MLB ever cuts of the HOF from memorabilia? They would have to let in some shady characters fro that.

Nellie_Fox
12-17-2007, 11:29 AM
I suppose you do have a point, but what are the chances the MLB ever cuts of the HOF from memorabilia?They wouldn't have to do it completely. Just some. And slow down how quickly they get it there. It just makes sense that the HOF would not defy the wishes of MLB on something like "permanently ineligible" players.

asindc
12-17-2007, 02:54 PM

Amen to that!

Frontman
12-17-2007, 09:51 PM
Hes actually right, gh won't do either by itself. Thats why strength athletes add a Testosterone based ester to thier cycle. GH just ties it all together and is more for fat burning and bringing the body back to its youth. GH is also useful when the user is on a strict diet because it helps the body retain muscle but sheds the fat. Its called "Growth" because it was orginally developed to help Dwarfism in children.

Its just the blatant need to apologize for all things Yankees/Sawx that makes ESPN the BS network.

If he said, "Petitte only taking HGH for such a short amount of time wouldn't of produced results/increased strength." Ok, I'll give you that.

If you believe a man who's lied for five full years saying he didn't take anything.

When he really did.

But only twice.

While on the DL.

(Simply put, anyone who is on that list who got caught should just fess up, but don't BS us.)

white sox bill
12-18-2007, 03:49 PM
Its just the blatant need to apologize for all things Yankees/Sawx that makes ESPN the BS network.

If he said, "Petitte only taking HGH for such a short amount of time wouldn't of produced results/increased strength." Ok, I'll give you that.

If you believe a man who's lied for five full years saying he didn't take anything.

When he really did.

But only twice.

While on the DL.

(Simply put, anyone who is on that list who got caught should just fess up, but don't BS us.)

Oh I don't doubt said network slants towards thier East Coast followers, but maybe thats because a good portion of thier audience is watching primetime then. Isn't ESPN based in Connecticut?

GH, either Somatropin or Jinotropin, takes 6 months minimim to kick in. Did Andy say he took it for what 2 days?

Nellie_Fox
12-18-2007, 04:23 PM
Isn't ESPN based in Connecticut?Yes, just about perfectly halfway between Boston and NYC.

white sox bill
12-18-2007, 04:25 PM
Sounds like Hartford?

Nellie_Fox
12-18-2007, 04:25 PM
Sounds like Hartford?Bristol, CT.

Frontman
12-18-2007, 08:13 PM
Oh I don't doubt said network slants towards thier East Coast followers, but maybe thats because a good portion of thier audience is watching primetime then. Isn't ESPN based in Connecticut?

GH, either Somatropin or Jinotropin, takes 6 months minimim to kick in. Did Andy say he took it for what 2 days?

And didn't feel "right" doing it.

It's all horsehockey BS out of these guys. To me, if ESPN (or anyone else for that matter) had the guts to ask Pettite;

"Which doctor perscriped the HGH to you, and what was the recommended dosage?" I would applaud them.

Versus,

"Oh, well he apologized. Now all is fine."

ode to veeck
12-19-2007, 01:22 PM
Bristol, CT.

about 20-25 min south of Hartford down 84