PDA

View Full Version : George Mitchell the day after

Fenway
12-15-2007, 11:31 AM
George Mitchell on Friday sat down with reporters from many papers and defended the work he has done.

He made it clear that Clemens and others had the chance to refute him but refused to do so

But most of the talk in New York is about Clemens, who was a stunning name revealed in Mitchell's report. Clemens's lawyer called the allegations "slander," but Mitchell disagreed.

"I offered to meet with [Clemens] to tell him what evidence I had," he said. "If he is denying it, he could have come in and denied it to me."

Mitchell says each player named had chances to defend himself.

Draw your own conclusions but what I take from this is the players named did not want to "lie" to Mitchell fearing problems down the road.

BOSTON GLOBE
http://cache.boston.com/bonzai-fba/Globe_Photo/2007/12/15/1197703724_7856.gif (http://www.boston.com/sports/baseball/articles/2007/12/15/mitchell_there_are_very_very_many_others)
'There are very, very many others' (http://www.boston.com/sports/baseball/articles/2007/12/15/mitchell_there_are_very_very_many_others)

George Mitchell defended his investigation on steroids in baseball but acknowledged the report was incomplete.

MIKE LUPICA - NY DAILY NEWS

George Mitchell did his job - that's all you can ask. Read more (http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/baseball/2007/12/15/2007-12-15_george_mitchells_book_means_critics_chea-2.html)

rocky biddle
12-15-2007, 02:05 PM
Richard Roeper made a very good point is his column yesterday.

Clemens was one of the many stars named by Jose Canseco in his book Juiced. Say what you will about Canseco and his book, but we've yet to see one lawsuit filed against him.

http://www.suntimes.com/news/roeper/696795,CST-NWS-roep14.article

DumpJerry
12-15-2007, 02:12 PM
Thanks to Selig, the Players' Assoc., the media who profits from people watching or listening to MLB baseball (i.e., everyone who makes money off the fans), MLB has turned into a tool shed.

I don't want to hear any whining from Clemens or his peeps or anyone else who had a chance to explain things in private to Mitchell to keep their name off the list. They knew their name was going on Santa's Naughty List and they were given an opportunity to try to remove it before they had their own Shoeless Joe "say it ain't so" moment in the public. If you did not do the juice and Mitchell said he had evidence you did, it seems like he was very fair in giving you a chance to refute the evidence before it became public.

End of rant.

SoxandtheCityTee
12-15-2007, 02:44 PM
There aren't enough excited smilies on this site to express how thrilled I'd be if Clemens actually filed suit for defamation. Videotaped questioning under oath -- sorry, phony prepared statements will not suffice -- medical records opened up to the defense lawyers, subpoenas flying all over the place, various witnesses taking the fifth. It'd be a blast of fresh air and sunshine, but it will never happen. That Mitchell gave him a chance to come in and deny/explain before publishing is one serious legal problem, but the truth is that Clemens just can't do it anyway. If he can't control the game he won't play.

HawkDJ
12-15-2007, 03:14 PM
Richard Roeper made a very good point is his column yesterday.

http://www.suntimes.com/news/roeper/696795,CST-NWS-roep14.article

Canseco, he may be a douche and may be in this just for money, but so far he has been VERY accurate.

He says A-rod should be on that list and I really have no other choice than to believe him.

jabrch
12-15-2007, 03:16 PM
George Mitchell is not going to expose himself to a libel suit. If he was willing to publish what he did, he must have compelling evidence - and more than just the statements of a convicted fellon trying to reduce his jail time.

I'd LOVE to see all these guys take this one to court. If they have learned anything from Barry Bonds, they'd k now that telling a lie under oath is a really really bad idea. Telling a lie to the media - that's no big deal. Lying to the fans - also no big deal - it happens every day. But I bet that with Barry potentially spending a few years as Ron Mexico's cellmate (I know - that's unlikely), that few MLB players (with so much to lose) are willing to say something that would have them in an adjacent cell to Ray Abbott or David Creamer someday.

jabrch
12-15-2007, 03:18 PM
Canseco, he may be a douche and may be in this just for money, but so far he has been VERY accurate.

He says A-rod should be on that list and I really have no other choice than to believe him.

If I were A-Rod, and I knew this to be untrue, I'd sue the hell out of him to make sure he didn't profit one penny from the book. (if I recall correctly, laws are in place to make sure criminals don't make money from writing books about their crimes and that compensation goes to the victims of those crimes? but I am not a lawyer...)

Fenway
12-15-2007, 03:28 PM

Canseco is working on another book. He claims that in his next tome, he will divulge inside information about the soon-to-be three time American League MVP, Alex Rodriguez.

In a July 28, 2007 interview with Boston's WEEI-Radio, Canseco claimed he had "other stuff on Alex Rodriguez that will be coming out" in a book he is shopping to publishers. Asked if Rodriguez used steroids, Canseco said, "Wait and see."

Canseco's lawyer told the New York Times that, "Jose has information about A-Rod and the Yankees that will be in the book. But, I am not sure if Jose is willing to disclose it at this point."

WEEI - The Big Show - Jose Canseco (http://weei.podzinger.com/viewMedia.jsp?index=21&num=10&filter=0&expand=true&match=query,channel&dedupe=1&start=20&il=en&col=en-all-pod_weei-ep&q=jose&e=8232865&res=132101037)

Jose Canseco joins the Big Show to talk steroids and respond to Curt Schilling's comments on HBO.

WEEI - The Big Show Whiner Line - Thursday, July 26th... (http://weei.podzinger.com/viewMedia.jsp?index=20&num=10&filter=0&expand=true&match=query,channel&dedupe=1&start=10&il=en&col=en-all-pod_weei-ep&q=jose&e=8236919&res=132100417)

Canseco makes another appearance

ode to veeck
12-16-2007, 11:36 AM
Canseco may be more than a douche bag personally, but has a single other baseball player yet come clean, even after the mitchell report (and yes, Pettit's half-assed admission doesn't even count there)?

Too bad this isn't track and field, or we'd be seeing the Yankees asked to turn in a few WS trophies.

ode to veeck
12-16-2007, 11:55 AM
other damning revelations:

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/12/15/sports/baseball/15mitchell.html?pagewanted=1&ei=5087&em&en=6f89de4d58445d13&ex=1197954000

An additional unnamed player did cooperate with Mitchell's investigations

The comissioner's office and the player's union secretly agreed to suspend testing in '04 to protect >100 players that had already one positive test, after testifying to Congress on what they were doing about the problem. This last issue will probably be seized upon by some members of Congress to recommend seizing the reigns and taking (actually unprecedented) legislative action themselves, since baseball cannot be trusted. The player's union had tried to get this part of the Mitchell report squashed before it was released for obvious reasons.

The commissioner's office and the MLBPA ought to be tar and feathered and run out of town.

Frontman
12-16-2007, 08:19 PM
To me, if Jose had hard evidence on A-Rod, it would of made his first book. Alex is one of the biggest names in baseball.

If Jose never played on the same team at the same time with A-Rod, if he doesn't have first hand information, I don't believe him.

Just because he's been getting information right so far doesn't mean he'll have anything concrete on Alex.

I figured he would of already released that information in his first book.

The Critic
12-17-2007, 04:03 AM
Canseco may be more than a douche bag personally, but has a single other baseball player yet come clean, even after the mitchell report (and yes, Pettit's half-assed admission doesn't even count there)?

Too bad this isn't track and field, or we'd be seeing the Yankees asked to turn in a few WS trophies.

Jason Giambi?

DumpJerry
12-17-2007, 08:04 AM
Jason Giambi?
He's the guy who apologized for something he could not say what he was apologizing for.

When the Jays play the Yankees next season, the Jays should have Big Frank pitch to him for one at-bat.

laxtonto
12-17-2007, 07:50 PM
I figured this thread was as good as any for this odd tidbit of Mitchel Report news i found on cnnsi...

I have been diagnosed with prostate cancer. I begin my radiation treatment the first week of January. I'm fine. I expect to make a full recovery. My doctors give me an excellent prognosis. But that's my next step. I'll be done with the treatments the first week of the season.

That may explain why the report in amnay ways seems "unfinished". Mitchel may have determined that he dug up all he can before having to begin his pending medical treatment.

:)

Frontman
12-17-2007, 11:01 PM
He's the guy who apologized for something he could not say what he was apologizing for.

When the Jays play the Yankees next season, the Jays should have Big Frank pitch to him for one at-bat.

Depending on Frank's accuracy, it might even be only one pitch.

Oh man, if Thomas could throw with enough velocity to do this:

http://reds.enquirer.com/2003/04/21/sosa_150x200.jpg

To Giambi's helmet, there would be justice in the world.

Nellie_Fox
12-18-2007, 12:48 AM

When the Jays play the Yankees next season, the Jays should have Big Frank pitch to him for one at-bat.Throwing the ball with accuracy or velocity was never Frank's forté.