PDA

View Full Version : Will the MLBPA allow olympic-style drug testing

EndemicSox
12-14-2007, 10:19 PM
I guess I've cooled off a bit since yesterday's debacle, but we all heard Rowand whining about this issue today, what do you think?

A poster on WSI claimed that this was Selig's ultimate goal...and I agree with him...will he get his way? Or will Don Fehr continue to stick his head in the sand? IMO, this is the best thing that can come out of this whole steroid scandal, and it is obviously the right thing to do.

FarWestChicago
12-14-2007, 10:35 PM
If you are busted, you get two years. If you get nailed a second time, game over. Anything else is a complete joke.

:nandrolone

I'm a big fan of the current policy. :nod:

WhiteSox5187
12-14-2007, 11:02 PM
I didn't hear a thing htat Rowand said...I think that Fehr would almost be forced to concede Olympic style drug testing. How could he say no? Congress is already starting an investigation...

Grzegorz
12-15-2007, 05:46 AM
If you are busted, you get two years. If you get nailed a second time, game over. Anything else is a complete joke.

I totally agree with West; I too feel that one chance is enough. That's the player's 'mulligan'.

The second offense triggers a lifetime expulsion of player.

Madvora
12-15-2007, 07:55 AM
This two year thing will never happen.
I don't get why the MLBPA fights so hard to let people get away with cheating. How does that benefit anybody?

voodoochile
12-15-2007, 11:28 AM
I don't get why the MLBPA fights so hard to let people get away with cheating. How does that benefit anybody?

It's their job to protect their members. In addition, those cheats are part of that membership. They can't legally turn their back on them anymore than they can any of the others. All they are bound by is the CBA, so they want to make it as simple and cost effective for their members as possible.

Finally, don't discount what the steroid era has done to salaries. Guys like Sosa, McGwire and Bonds drive up the market for every player. That's the MLBPA's #1 job - get more money for the players. If some of the players cheat to get their money it still trickles down to the players below them even if not as dramatically.

DumpJerry
12-15-2007, 02:19 PM
It's been pointed out on talk radio that most players did/do not use the junk. The MLBPA represents those guys, too. The non-cheaters are being hurt by the cheater-don't they deserve an advocate?

I nominate AJ Pierzynski for the advocate. I'd hate to be the guy he confronts for 'roiding at the expense of someone who plays by the rules.........

EndemicSox
12-15-2007, 04:08 PM
Good replies fellas, I think the court of public opinion is the only hope we have, as fans, to clean up the game we love. I'm simply disgusted with the replies I've been hearing from the players, union, media, etc..regarding this issue. It's a necessary step for me to continue watching the league I love, but I think it may be a pipe dream...

TDog
12-15-2007, 04:48 PM
I didn't hear Rowand whine. I didn't read the thread that discussed Rowand whining. If I opened that thread at some point, I didn't read that far.

But I have thought about Olympic-style testing. Ben Johnson sets a world's record. Ben Johnson tests dirty. He loses the gold, the record doesn't count and Canada doesn't get to claim a gold medalist. I would have no problem with players being tested after every game. If a player tests positive for a banned substance, his stats don't count and his team forfeits the game. I d don't believe team sports don't belong in the Olympics, have ignored the process as it pertains to team sports, but a forfeit would seem to be called for in a sport like baseball. I know the NCAA and high school organizations have forfeited games when ineligible players participate. If players on both sides test positive, a double-forfeit might be warranted.

I see problems with this. With so much testing, there will be false positives -- which are rare but statistically likely. Conservatively, you could be looking at more than 29,000 drug tests. Going to a game, seeing a dramatic finish and finding out later that the game wasn't won, but forfeited, would be an unsatisfactory way to run a sport, even if the NCAA has done things that way.

But I don't see how you can negate a player's records if his records count in games that his team has won. Take away Barry Bonds' 46 home runs in 2002, and the Giants don't get to the World Series. Bonds hit a home run and scored two runs in the Giants' 3-1 win over the Braves in Game 5 of the 2002 NLDS.

Games and individual records would probably have to count in baseball. Testing everyone at the beginning of every series and suspending players for positive tests would go along way in cleaning up the sport (although no one seems concerned about cleaning up football). The problem, perhaps the irony, is that baseball seems the one major sport where this would be most difficult to legally implement.

voodoochile
12-15-2007, 05:26 PM
I'd let the results of the game stand and ban the player who tested positive for a LONG time.

Paulwny
12-15-2007, 06:06 PM
It's been pointed out on talk radio that most players did/do not use the junk. The MLBPA represents those guys, too. The non-cheaters are being hurt by the cheater-don't they deserve an advocate?

I nominate AJ Pierzynski for the advocate. I'd hate to be the guy he confronts for 'roiding at the expense of someone who plays by the rules.........

You are quite correct but these players share some of the blame. If they were in the majority they could have complained to Fehr. They could have demanded that he have a vote on the player's feelings about a stronger testing process. Fehr would then be forced to negotite with Seileg.
In a union the majority rules, these players kept quite while they saw what was going on with certain players.

EndemicSox
12-15-2007, 10:00 PM
I promise this is my last post regarding this subject(crosses fingers)...

As a fan, I just can't accept that some players are skewing the playing field, and cheating nature, so to speak. I'm sure it happens in all aspects of life, in many different forms, but the cheaters taint the game, and when a potential solution to a significant problem is on the table, one would think everyone involved in the game would be all for it. Maybe I'm simply naive, but baseball is the only sport I watch, the only sport I "care" about, the sport I played from little league through college, and if the true fans don't demand an equal playing field, maybe it's time I spend my time "caring" about something else. The clean players need to speak out, and now is absolutely the perfect time, but I believe the union has them by the balls, so to speak. Maybe the owners will black-ball them, maybe the ridiculous sums of cash they make playing a game has tainted their ethics, maybe the players are just spineless, maybe they are all taking something...I just don't know what to think. But one would think the clean players would be all for this type of testing.

Of course, the cheaters will always be one step ahead of the curve, so maybe it's all moot.