PDA

View Full Version : Astros acquire Valverde

Sockinchisox
12-14-2007, 06:49 PM
Wow they're really going for it. For Burke, Qualls and a minor leaguer.

PalehosePlanet
12-14-2007, 11:34 PM
Wow they're really going for it. For Burke, Qualls and a minor leaguer.

I thought the package for Valverde was too light. I guess this makes Pena the closer; or they will make another deal.

SBSoxFan
12-15-2007, 06:57 AM
I thought the package for Valverde was too light. I guess this makes Pena the closer; or they will make another deal.

I tend to agree, although I don't really know much about who they got. AZ bolstered their starting rotation, but now weakened the pen. :dunno:

PKalltheway
12-15-2007, 10:47 AM
I can't say that I like this trade. You have just made your bullpen weaker.

JRIG
12-15-2007, 11:49 AM
I can't say that I like this trade. You have just made your bullpen weaker.

Don't overlook how good Qualls is. He hasn't closed before but I think the D-Backs might give him a shot in that role. Burke is Orlando Hudson insurance and could replace him after '08. Pretty even deal in my opinion.

Jjav829
12-15-2007, 11:52 AM
I tend to agree, although I don't really know much about who they got. AZ bolstered their starting rotation, but now weakened the pen. :dunno:

Robbing Peter to pay Paul. Qualls is a good reliever, but now they need to find a closer.

SBSoxFan
12-15-2007, 12:18 PM
Robbing Peter to pay Paul.

People say the same thing about Garland/Cabrera. :D: I think that goes to show how much the Sox wanted to upgrade over Uribe.

Qualls is a good reliever, but now they need to find a closer.

How many good relievers can't close, though? Good luck finding another one. Of course, the Sox went through 3 in '05.

russ99
12-15-2007, 12:24 PM
Don't overlook how good Qualls is. He hasn't closed before but I think the D-Backs might give him a shot in that role. Burke is Orlando Hudson insurance and could replace him after '08. Pretty even deal in my opinion.

That's a pretty big overstatement.

Qualls isn't closer material. Wheeler was promoted over him when Lidge was ineffectual last season and the Astros had zero confidence in him after Lidge was dealt. He's a nice reliever and a decent set-up man, but he's not shown he can take the pressure and gives up way too many homers to really suceed as a closer. My bet is he'll set-up and Pena will close for Arizona.

I think this is a fantastic deal by Wade. The only justification for the D-backs making this deal is Gutierrez. He has some potential and could develop into a solid 3-4 starter.

Burke was awful for the last 2 years, but maybe a change of scene will do him good. Maybe Arizona thought he was a decent trading chip, but the Astros certainly thought he was a throw-in.

Wade got ripped pretty bad for the Lidge deal, but he traded lesser players than he got from Philly for Lidge to get a better closer, and in a sense also swapped Burke for Bourn, which is another big upgrade.

If the Astros get another (non-Prior) starter - hopefully an inning eater like Livan, and Tejada's suspension isn't too drastic, the Brewers and Cubs will have a fight on their hands in the Central.

Sockinchisox
12-15-2007, 01:25 PM
Tony Pena is the favorite for save chances in Arizona.

Fantosme
12-15-2007, 11:05 PM
Valverde was about to become very expensive, and has had injury problems in the past. So I can see why Arizona wanted to move him. But if you believe that you have a legitimate chance at winning the World Series this season, why would you move your best reliever?