PDA

View Full Version : Canseco back with the Sox...

Kilroy
04-18-2002, 01:27 PM
The Score just reported that he inked a AAA deal. If he can get going and hitting well, maybe he can bring something in a trade. Or maybe it's a message to the Big Hurt. Better get it together...

Jerry_Manuel
04-18-2002, 01:39 PM
I was reading in the SouthTown, that the Sox won't be carrying 12 pitchers for much longer.

"After the (starters) have thrown a couple of more times in the rotation, we'll eventually go down to 11," Manuel said. "If you're pitching well, you shouldn't need 12. We'll add another position player"

I don't see a spot for Canseco on the team, the ST went on to say they think Harris will get the call.

duke of dorwood
04-18-2002, 02:07 PM
Willie Harris will be first call up.

DrCrawdad
04-18-2002, 02:11 PM
I was under the impression that they had to wait until sometime in May before they could sign Canseco.

I've heard KW say that they would give Canseco a minor league deal and they offered to let him train with the Sox during ST. I don't have a problem with signing Canseco to a AAA contract UNLESS it interferes or blocks one of our home grown young guys. For example, IF Frank was to be go on the DL this year then I'd like the Sox to have Lee DH and let Rowand/Liefer play LF.

- DrCrawdad

Jerry_Manuel
04-18-2002, 02:21 PM
Originally posted by DrCrawdad
I was under the impression that they had to wait until sometime in May before they could sign Canseco.

I think they couldn't sign him to a major league contract until May.
I could be wrong though.

Jerry_Manuel
04-18-2002, 02:27 PM
From the whitesox.com story:

(Williams speaking)
"He will have a chance to play himself back into shape in Charlotte and then we will see where things go from there."

Barring an injury, it's unlikely that Canseco would join the Sox, but manager Jerry Manuel did say Wednesday that he is likely to reduce his pitching staff from 12 to 11 in the near future and would consider a "specialty" player.

duke of dorwood
04-18-2002, 02:34 PM
I think JM is correct-by the Free Agent signing day rule

RedPinStripes
04-18-2002, 02:46 PM
Originally posted by DrCrawdad

I've heard KW say that they would give Canseco a minor league deal and they offered to let him train with the Sox during ST. I don't have a problem with signing Canseco to a AAA contract UNLESS it interferes or blocks one of our home grown young guys. For example, IF Frank was to be go on the DL this year then I'd like the Sox to have Lee DH and let Rowand/Liefer play LF.

- DrCrawdad

Why? Lee is not a good hitter. Throw him low and outside like they have been, and he's lost.

doctor30th
04-18-2002, 03:09 PM
Whose Canseco going to be interfering with in AAA, Jeff Inlin or Darron Ingram.

rmusacch
04-18-2002, 03:21 PM
Originally posted by Jerry_Manuel

I think they couldn't sign him to a major league contract until May.
I could be wrong though.

The Knights website said that he could be called up at any time. I was also under the impression that they could not bring him to the majors until May 1st. Same thing happened with Rock Raines one year with the Expos.

RedPinStripes
04-18-2002, 03:26 PM
Why do i smell a trade coming that includeds Liefer, Rowand, or Lee?

Chisox_cali
04-18-2002, 03:27 PM
Originally posted by duke of dorwood
Willie Harris will be first call up.

Yeah I would say send down Barcelo and call up Harris.

rmusacch
04-18-2002, 03:28 PM
Originally posted by Chisox_cali

I think Porzio goes down and Harris comes up until May 1st, although they would be wasteing (sp) a roster spot on Harris since the bench players have hardly been playing.

Jerry_Manuel
04-18-2002, 03:29 PM
Originally posted by RedPinStripes

I don't smell anything.

That's a fun game to play though, find the smell. :smile:

Jerry_Manuel
04-18-2002, 03:58 PM
Originally posted by Chisox_cali

Why bring up Harris? I agree either Porzio or Barcelo will be sent down, but there's no need to bring up Harris. Durham is hitting the ball, and Lofton is on fire, even if he wasn't Rowand could play center.

Dadawg_77
04-18-2002, 03:59 PM
Originally posted by RedPinStripes

Not really, I might if the Sox sought out Jose, but KW in gratitude for last year, said he would make room in the minors for Jose if he wanted to come to Sox. I am sure if Jose plays his way into shape and another team came calling KW would give Jose up.

palehosemike
04-18-2002, 04:50 PM
This one is a really tough call fellas - why in the hell would we sign Canseco?

The only hitter he could replace would be Rowand. Though that means you get a DH who does not play @ all in the field and @ NL parks he will only get pinch hitting duties.

I can't see us letting go of a pitcher since our bullpen is like a door prize at the local senior citizens bingo night (you never know what you will get)!

Trade wise - Maybe we are going after a legit #3 starting pitcher which will require a package deal that includes one of our current starting hitters.

Mind boggling I tell you........................... Did KW fall off his treadmill last night?!?!?!?

http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/attachment.php?s=&postid=82328 :KW

hold2dibber
04-18-2002, 05:10 PM

Why bring up Harris? I agree either Porzio or Barcelo will be sent down, but there's no need to bring up Harris. Durham is hitting the ball, and Lofton is on fire, even if he wasn't Rowand could play center.

I agree - Harris would mostly just sit on the bench and he would be better served by playing everyday in the minors. I would rather bring up a guy who's not so much of a prospect, but who has a useable skill in specialty situations - for instance, a burner who could pinch run or a slick fielding utility infielder; is there anyone in the system who would fit the bill? (Or maybe my favorite ball player of all, Mark Dalesandro).

FarmerAndy
04-18-2002, 05:19 PM

Good call JM. It wouldn't benefit Harris in any way either. He's better off playing everyday in AAA than sitting on the bench in the majors.

RichH55
04-19-2002, 03:29 PM
Originally posted by FarmerAndy

Good call JM. It wouldn't benefit Harris in any way either. He's better off playing everyday in AAA than sitting on the bench in the majors.

Agreed...but there doesnt really seem to be ulterior motives to the Jose signing either(not sure which poster thinks big trade coming)....KW has been very Pro-Jose since last year, and he is helping the guy out...a classy move IMO....plus he makes no money and gives you options..you want Rowand to get some At-bats in the minors you can call Jose up