PDA

View Full Version : Carter was going to be sent for Otsuka.

Sockinchisox
12-14-2007, 01:43 PM
But the deal was nixed after we looked at Otsuka's medical reports.

Just thought this was noteworthy.

http://trsullivan.mlblogs.com/trsullivan/2007/12/friday_happy_ho_1.html

* The Rangers were ready to trade Akinori Otsuka to the Chicago White Sox for Class A first baseman Chris Carter, who hit .291 with 25 home runs and 93 RBI in 2007. But the White Sox saw the medical reports on Otsuka and killed the deal. Carter instead went to the Diamondbacks for outfielder Carlos Quentin.

Maybe it's possible we'd still be interested in him.

steely712
12-14-2007, 01:57 PM
Now we can pick up Otsuka for nothing, since he just got a non tender from the Rangers. I don't think that I want anyone who was cut from the Rangers bullpen

chaerulez
12-14-2007, 01:59 PM
Well something is obviously scaring teams off, probably arm problems. I'd take a risk since he does have a 2.44 career ERA and a WHIP under 1.10 three out of four seasons.

JohnTucker0814
12-14-2007, 02:37 PM
yeah i'd take a chance on the guy, but I'd say give him a 2 yr contract, with that 2nd year a team option, not a 1 year. If he is questionable for the start of this year, i'd want to give him time to fully heal, bring him back at the all star break and see how he does. He definately has the stuff, it would be a risk, but who do we get that is not a risk?

btrain929
12-14-2007, 03:00 PM
If we're able to get him, it would look pretty similar to the breakdown of the Garland deal:

Garland for Cabrera and Linebrink
Chris Carter for Quentin and Otsuka.

He seems like a Dustin Hermanson-type pickup that KW would be interested in (obviously Otsuka has had more success in the past than Dustin when we picked him up though).....

Does anyone know how long Otsuka is supposed to be out for?

IceczMan
12-14-2007, 03:34 PM
If we're able to get him, it would look pretty similar to the breakdown of the Garland deal:

Garland for Cabrera and Linebrink
Chris Carter for Quentin and Otsuka.

I might have completely confused your post here, but how is a Starting Pitcher for a SS and Relief Pitcher similar to a deal that includes a Minor League first baseman for a LF and a free agent reliver pick up?

Big Hurt #35=HOF
12-14-2007, 03:42 PM
Why not low risk that could possibly pay off

I want to be competitive this year!

btrain929
12-14-2007, 03:42 PM
I might have completely confused your post here, but how is a Starting Pitcher for a SS and Relief Pitcher similar to a deal that includes a Minor League first baseman for a LF and a free agent reliver pick up?

I was looking at the details of both trades, and if they would have went a little different, other things might not have happened afterwards.

For example, if LA didn't want to give us money with Cabrera (maybe a prospect instead), we might not have been able to get Linebrink.

If Otsuka would have been healthy and his health records looked promising, then we would have done that deal and not have gotten Quentin. But since he went from a hot commodity on the trade market to someone being non-tendered, that's an added bonus for us if we can scoop him up.

Hopefully that clears that up a little bit in regards to what I was thinking...

IceczMan
12-14-2007, 03:48 PM
Yea thats makes sense. Thanks. I wasnt sure if you were referring to players, money, teams, etc...

Hopefully the medical records didnt indicate anything major, and I wouldnt might taking a chance on him coming back healthy. I just hope that we dont rely on it, like last year relying on Aardsma and Sisco to reach their potential.

doublem23
12-14-2007, 04:38 PM
Well something is obviously scaring teams off, probably arm problems. I'd take a risk since he does have a 2.44 career ERA and a WHIP under 1.10 three out of four seasons.

I agree... It's very unlikely he could be a serious downgrade from the wonder-arms we had in last year's bullpen.

Frater Perdurabo
12-14-2007, 06:15 PM
There's nothing to lose by giving him a deal for one year with a team option for a second year. But there could be a great deal to be gained. Linebrink and a healthy Otsuka could go a long way toward filling the massive dearth of RHP middle relief on the Sox during the past two years.

WhiteSox5187
12-14-2007, 06:48 PM
Again, we really don't have anything to lose here...can he be any worse than Andrew Sisco?

Tragg
12-14-2007, 07:52 PM
I'd rather who we got than a middle reliever. With all of our young pitchers, trading talent for yet another middle reliever? Pass.

jcw218
12-14-2007, 08:00 PM
I'd rather who we got than a middle reliever. With all of our young pitchers, trading talent for yet another middle reliever? Pass.

Otsuka will not cost us any talent since he's a free agent after being non-tendered. It will just cost us money to acquire him.

ksimpson14
12-15-2007, 05:32 AM
We were about to give up our top position prospect for a guy that was about to get released, awesome

cws05champ
12-15-2007, 09:20 AM
We were about to give up our top position prospect for a guy that was about to get released, awesome

But hey, have faith in Kenny...he knows what he is doing!!!

JRIG
12-15-2007, 09:32 AM

To be fair, he probably was released because no team was going to take him on via trade after seeing his medical report.

Although, I wouldn't endorse a healthy Otsuka for Carter deal anyway.