PDA

View Full Version : Rowand is on Silvy and Waddle

It's Time
12-14-2007, 12:10 PM
Should be a great interview. I am interested to hear what he has to say about KW and how he was pursued.

It's Time
12-14-2007, 12:13 PM
Money and years were the biggest reason he did not come back.

salty99
12-14-2007, 12:19 PM
He was on Mike North this morning and said the Sox never offered a formal contract and that he wanted to be on the White Sox for the rest of his career.

It's Time
12-14-2007, 12:20 PM
Aaron is the man. He didn't have a bad thing to say and stated he was stunned that a team with all the talent the White sox had, fell the way they did last year.

IMO, KW should have given him that extra year. NO ONE plays the game harder then him.

The Immigrant
12-14-2007, 12:22 PM
He was on Mike North this morning and said the Sox never offered a formal contract and that he wanted to be on the White Sox for the rest of his career.

I believe he said he received an initial offer from the Sox a couple of months ago. He apparently did not bother to respond with a counteroffer.

doublem23
12-14-2007, 12:23 PM
Aaron is the man. He didn't have a bad thing to say and stated he was stunned that a team with all the talent the White sox had, fell the way they did last year.

IMO, KW should have given him that extra year. NO ONE plays the game harder then him.

I don't know if someone is worth the money Aaron got from San Francisco if the best thing you can think of is "he plays the game real hard."

http://lightitup.mlblogs.com/my_weblog/images/eae7f83b97614c76b4f41c8d9dfb8138.jpg
You guys are going to need a new "grinder" now that I'm coaching at Nebraska.

It's Time
12-14-2007, 12:26 PM
I don't know if someone is worth the money Aaron got from San Francisco if the best thing you can think of is "he plays the game real hard."

http://lightitup.mlblogs.com/my_weblog/images/eae7f83b97614c76b4f41c8d9dfb8138.jpg

I have also said in the past: All star, good hitter, gold glove. That should be enough for one more year.

doublem23
12-14-2007, 12:31 PM
I have also said in the past: All star, good hitter, gold glove. That should be enough for one more year.

Fair enough. For the record, I was never opposed to bringing back Rowand, just not at the price he eventually got from the Giants. I think that money can be invested a bit better, and I'd be willing to just give the position to Anderson/Owens/[BigHurt35=HOF voice]Juan Pierre[/voice].

spiffie
12-14-2007, 12:33 PM
Fair enough. For the record, I was never opposed to bringing back Rowand, just not at the price he eventually got from the Giants. I think that money can be invested a bit better, and I'd be willing to just give the position to Anderson/Owens/[BigHurt35=HOF voice]Juan Pierre[/voice].
The problem is which Rowand are you getting? If you get the Rowand of 2004 and 2007, then he's a bargain at 5/60. If he's the Rowand of 2005 or 2006, he's overpaid. Overall he has a higher career OPS than Hunter, who got 33% more money than Aaron. If he gives the Giants 3 or more years of 2004/2007 caliber, they made a great signing.

doublem23
12-14-2007, 12:34 PM
The problem is which Rowand are you getting? If you get the Rowand of 2004 and 2007, then he's a bargain at 5/60. If he's the Rowand of 2005 or 2006, he's overpaid. Overall he has a higher career OPS than Hunter, who got 33% more money than Aaron. If he gives the Giants 3 or more years of 2004/2007 caliber, they made a great signing.

I never wanted to pay that much money for Toriiiiiiiii either. :cool:

champagne030
12-14-2007, 12:35 PM
I believe he said he received an initial offer from the Sox a couple of months ago. He apparently did not bother to respond with a counteroffer.

Kenny is going to have some 'splainin' to do with the Commissioners Office if he made Rowand an offer a couple of months ago.

champagne030
12-14-2007, 12:38 PM

Does he coach punting or grinding? :D:

D. TODD
12-14-2007, 01:51 PM
Funny, but I remember Torri getting ripped in here for going on air with Silvy & Waddle after he signed with the Angels (and having nothing but praise for the White Sox). He was called classless and all about him. Good you went elsewhere now **** off why would you get on Chicago radio to talk about it. Yet, Rowand is a class guy for doing the same. It's all perception I guess, and not what you actually do.

chaerulez
12-14-2007, 02:07 PM

All star means nothing, Ron Coomer has played in an all star game.

He was a good hitter in 2004 and 2007. Pretty average otherwise.

Great fielder, I agree.

So is an average hitter, great fielder in a premium position worth 5/60? Maybe if your desperate. I just think Rowand's hitting stats will decline in the last two years of his deal. While I wouldn't be angry if the Sox signed him to that money, I certainly understand why KW didn't want to make that deal.

Hitmen77
12-14-2007, 02:22 PM

But the Sox apparently aren't taking that money they were willing to spend on Hunter ($15 million) or not willing to spend on Rowand ($12 million) and "investing" it elsewhere. They got Linebrink and O. Cabrera - but by all accounts those guys were to be part of Kenny's "plan" in addition to Hunter.

That's the biggest problem I have - not over our failure to land any particular individual, but just the idea that getting Hunter for CF was the cornerstone of the Sox plan for 2008 and, missing out on him, we end up with Jerry Owens in CF.

How can we say that paying $12 million to plug a big hole with a good player is "too much"? $12 million this year is not the same as $12 million spent 2 years ago to keep Konerko. I highly doubt $12 million a year now will be nearly the same in MLB economics as it will be 5 years from now in the last year of Rowand contract. Salaries keep escalating and competitive, big market teams pay to keep up....except the White Sox. We just complain about how none of these guys are "worth it", we laugh at the "stupidity" of teams like the Angels, Tigers, and Cubs throwing money around on players, and we instead fill holes with our mediocre in-house replacements. By the way, I expect those 3 teams that hand out stupid contracts to be in the playoffs next year while we're left in the dust.

GoSox2K3
12-14-2007, 02:27 PM

Where did you come up with this? Link?

Funny, but I remember Torri getting ripped in here for going on air with Silvy & Waddle after he signed with the Angels (and having nothing but praise for the White Sox). He was called classless and all about him. Good you went elsewhere now **** off why would you get on Chicago radio to talk about it. Yet, Rowand is a class guy for doing the same. It's all perception I guess, and not what you actually do.

I guess I missed the part where Torii Hunter has a Chicago connection by being a former fan favorite who playing in the World Series for us.

DoItAllJoeHall
12-14-2007, 02:29 PM

Well, technically, the White Sox would have been paying that money...:cool:

Aaron earned that money with the way he played last year, that's just the way that it works...

salty99
12-14-2007, 02:31 PM
Basically what it comes down is if you don't spend money on free agents, and your farm system sucks, you are screwed. In my opinion trying to get by on has beens and coulda/shoulda beens won't cut it when you're trying to win a World Series. Either go out and spend the money on what you need or rebuild, but don't sit there and whine in front of the press all day about all these players that you should have had. 80-90 wins and third to fourth place in the toughest division in baseball doesn't cut it.

I really want to see this team do well and field the best possible team, so I hope Kenny has some kind of plan in the next couple months to make that happen.

End rant.

Goose
12-14-2007, 02:39 PM
But the Sox apparently aren't taking that money they were willing to spend on Hunter ($15 million) or not willing to spend on Rowand ($12 million) and "investing" it elsewhere....

...Salaries keep escalating and competitive, big market teams pay to keep up....except the White Sox. We just complain about how none of these guys are "worth it", we laugh at the "stupidity" of teams like the Angels, Tigers, and Cubs throwing money around on players, and we instead fill holes with our mediocre in-house replacements. By the way, I expect those 3 teams that hand out stupid contracts to be in the playoffs next year while we're left in the dust.

Great post!

I am sure that the WSI-White Sox CPAs around here will be sure to provide their financial projections as to why a player can only get so much in a given contract..."must be fiscally responsible!". Like it is THEIR money we are asking them to spend!

D. TODD
12-14-2007, 02:39 PM

I guess I missed the part where Torii Hunter has a Chicago connection by being a former fan favorite who playing in the World Series for us. If he was traded from the Phillies to the Giants there is no way he would be asked to come on to chicago radio because he was a former fan favorite to talk about it. They were brought on for the exact same reason, free agents who the Sox were interested in and went elsewhere. Torri was ripped (by some here) for doing it, and Rowand has been applauded for it.

The Immigrant
12-14-2007, 03:10 PM

He said it on Mike North's show this morning.

Taliesinrk
12-14-2007, 03:16 PM
If he was traded from the Phillies to the Giants there is no way he would be asked to come on to chicago radio because he was a former fan favorite to talk about it. They were brought on for the exact same reason, free agents who the Sox were interested in and went elsewhere. Torri was ripped (by some here) for doing it, and Rowand has been applauded for it.

I think it's been fine for both of them. And the second-hand reports I've heard from other posts have made both of them sounds like classy guys... We should not make these two (or just Hunter) sound like Conseco here..

FedEx227
12-14-2007, 04:54 PM
Ole Wall Face made a complete ass of himself when asked about HGH blood testing though.

Madvora
12-14-2007, 05:01 PM
Ole Wall Face made a complete ass of himself when asked about HGH blood testing though.
Can you explain this? I didn't hear the show.

The Immigrant
12-14-2007, 05:23 PM
Can you explain this? I didn't hear the show.

He said something about blood testing leaving the players too light-headed to play, as if a pint of blood would be drawn before each game.

voodoochile
12-14-2007, 05:39 PM
He said something about blood testing leaving the players too light-headed to play, as if a pint of blood would be drawn before each game.

LOL...

salty99
12-14-2007, 05:44 PM
North asked him about HGH and blood testing as well. He said he's not for it and he just does what the union tells him. North then said well what if someone on steriods took your job would you want testing then? Rowand just ignored the question pretty much.

Cuck the Fubs
12-14-2007, 05:54 PM

My dad & I always thought Rowand was a juicer........but we still liked the guy.

salty99
12-14-2007, 05:56 PM
Well there's this guy I know at work and he knows a guy who owns a bar in Forest Park. You see Moose Skowron is a regular there and tells the bar owner that Rowand has been juicing for years.

Cuck the Fubs
12-14-2007, 06:02 PM
Well there's this guy I know at work and he knows a guy who owns a bar in Forest Park. You see Moose Skowron is a regular there and tells the bar owner that Rowand has been juicing for years.

We know the same bar owner!!!!!!!!!:D::D::D:

What my dad or I suspect means zilch.....just an opinion.

Even with what I thought, I still would have liked to see him back in CF in 08 & beyond.....not to be though.

downstairs
12-14-2007, 06:16 PM
He said it on Mike North's show this morning.

I'm not even going to touch this one.

johnr1note
12-14-2007, 07:57 PM
But let's be honest, fellas. Aaron Rowand is an average to above average ball player. He had a great year last year, but his overall stats for 7 years in the big leagues don't get you on the all star team and don't win you gold gloves. Indeed, I did a quick check of the regular centerfielders in the AL, and Rowand's raw stats fall below most of them. He's a spectacular looking ball player -- but does he have the speed to truly get to the balls a centerfielder needs to get to? I think he's really a corner outfielder. If I was running the Sox, and we had signed Rowand, that's where I'd be playing him, and keep Owens in Center.

We need a lead off man. We need bull pen help. Overspending on a top flight free agent who is really just an average ball player doesn't help us there. I am disappointed, with many of you, that we haven't made deals to improve the club. Rowand would have improved our team, but not where we need it most.

Brian26
12-14-2007, 08:54 PM
My dad & I always thought Rowand was a juicer........but we still liked the guy.

What an ignorant statement. Seriously, grow up. I love how this witch hunt has turned everybody into bodybuilding experts. Get real. Rowand is a gym rat, always has been. That doesn't mean he takes steroids. The fact that he doesn't want to comment on the issue has everything to do with the labor union right now.

Cuck the Fubs
12-14-2007, 09:14 PM
We know the same bar owner!!!!!!!!!:D::D::D:

What my dad or I suspect means zilch.....just an opinion.

Even with what I thought, I still would have liked to see him back in CF in 08 & beyond.....not to be though.

Did you even read this post.........it's an opinion, not a factual statement.

I can't prove he did, you can't prove he didn't.

Agree to disagree there?

guillen4life13
12-14-2007, 09:56 PM

It's a sad day when I have to do this, but I have to quote Fred Durst:

"It's all about the he said, she said... bull****!"

I.E., there are three degrees of separation between you and Moose. And how the hell would Moose be privy to such information anyways? He isn't and hasn't been a presence in the clubhouse in years.

salty99
12-14-2007, 11:16 PM
It's a sad day when I have to do this, but I have to quote Fred Durst:

"It's all about the he said, she said... bull****!"

I.E., there are three degrees of separation between you and Moose. And how the hell would Moose be privy to such information anyways? He isn't and hasn't been a presence in the clubhouse in years.

Moose is the alpha and the omega

Nellie_Fox
12-15-2007, 01:17 AM
I don't know if someone is worth the money Aaron got from San Francisco if the best thing you can think of is "he plays the game real hard."I played the game real hard. Unfortunately, I was also slow, had no throwing arm, and couldn't hit for power. Other than that, "I coulda been a contenda."

I think he's really a corner outfielder. If I was running the Sox, and we had signed Rowand, that's where I'd be playing him, and keep Owens in Center. But as a corner outfielder, his offensive numbers would be way below average.

Moose is the alpha and the omegaBut I doubt that he's a regular at any bar other than "Call Me Moose.":tongue:

ksimpson14
12-15-2007, 05:31 AM

Unreal.

As far as the steroid thing, I'm sure a cynic would take him signing the day before the report as a possible sign (don't know the deadline, was it Sun? or is there none?), but honestly, this is just the NY source, I am personally assuming at least half our team is either on something or has tried it sometime. If this stuff really effects your enjoyment of the game, you shouldn't watch any sports, this is everywhere.