PDA

View Full Version : Sammy Sosa Escapes Mitchell Report

Madvora
12-14-2007, 08:23 AM
What a gem today in the Trib. Link (http://blogs.chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports_whatsgoinon/2007/12/sammy-sosa-es-1.html)
EDIT - (updated link)

t's time to take Sosa out of the shadow of steroids suspicion.
And anyone who thinks otherwise needs to do some investigating and deliver the proof.
Just look at some of the reader comments below the story. It will make you sick.

rocky biddle
12-14-2007, 08:43 AM
Your link doesn't work.

itsnotrequired
12-14-2007, 09:10 AM
Your link doesn't work.

http://blogs.chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports_whatsgoinon/2007/12/sammy-sosa-es-1.html

Hilarious comments galore:

Sammy IS the only legitimate season home run hitting leader. Hopefully that will be remembered sooner rather than later. Go Sammy--609 and counting!!

Posted by: Lizzie | Dec 13, 2007 3:17:42 PM

Apologies to Sammy,
Maybe the Cubs (or White Sox) could sign Sosa for the upcoming season (both teams need the outfielder anyway), he deserves to go out in style as a Chicago Sports Great.

Posted by: blancoje | Dec 13, 2007 3:34:16 PM

Now all you Sammy haters can stop with all the steroid talk...... just face the facts!! HE'S A HALL OF FAMER AND ONE OF THE GREATEST CUBS AND EVEN MLB PLAYERS EVER!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: Ryan | Dec 13, 2007 3:43:31 PM

I'm glad Sammy has been vindicated -- at least in this report. He has denied all along any link to steroids.

Posted by: Luke | Dec 13, 2007 4:28:14 PM

:rolling:

chaerulez
12-14-2007, 09:31 AM
The idea that the lack of inclusion in the Mitchell Report somehow vindicates anyone from steroid use is simply idiotic. I don't remember Juan Gone and I-Roid being named and they were key names mentioned by Canseco. So was Bret Boone and Tony Saunders. And Canseco hasn't lied about steroids yet, so I don't think the Mitchell investigation means they were innocent, they couldn't find anything else other than what Canseco had already wrote about.

Only the most moronic steroid apologists (i.e: really stupid Cub fans or just stupid "fans" in general) could come to the conclusion that no name on Mitchell report = didn't use steroids.

Is there a chance Sosa never used steroids? Yeah, there is. But there's also a chance that one day I can play in the NBA. I'd say both chances are about the same.

itsnotrequired
12-14-2007, 09:36 AM
Is there a chance Sosa never used steroids? Yeah, there is. But there's also a chance that one day I can play in the NBA. I'd say both chances are about the same.

Its because you don't shoot well from the perimeter. Don't feel to bad though, I get dominated in the paint. Maybe if scientests could combine us into one Human, we would have a halfway decent chance in the NBA.

Madvora
12-14-2007, 09:45 AM
Nothing has changed with this people. I can't believe anyone could be so brain dead.

GO Sosa! After all these years, you're still the MAN! A lot of people did not make a mistake in idolizing you when you were hitting those homers in the 90's. Sosa should hold the regular season homer title, not Bonds or McGuire.
Posted by: Chris | Dec 13, 2007 3:53:28 PM

wulfy
12-14-2007, 09:51 AM
How about the issue of him refusing to meet with Mitchell or respond to his letter??

(I sent similar letters with specific questions to lawyers for Barry Bonds,
Rafael Palmeiro, Sammy Sosa, and Gary Sheffield, none of whom provided answers to my questions either.)

Juice16
12-14-2007, 09:53 AM
This Sosa steroid angles remind me of Cap. Jack Sparrow. After Sammy sweating through the Mitchell Report, I can hear and see him saying " You will remember today as the day you almost caught Sammy Sosa". Now Sammy will swing off to his next team where he can scam a bunch of brand new fans.

Taliesinrk
12-14-2007, 10:00 AM
This Sosa steroid angles remind me of Cap. Jack Sparrow. After Sammy sweating through the Mitchell Report, I can hear and see him saying " You will remember today as the day you almost caught Sammy Sosa". Now Sammy will swing off to his next team where he can scam a bunch of brand new fans.

Nice quote. Since this is all I've been talking/reading about on here for the past 2 days, I feel the need for a quick thread hijack. In the second pirates of the caribbean, orlando bloom gets taken aboard the ship of the lost souls and challenges/bets his eternal life to get off the boat. In order to do so, he plays the captain of the ship and his father in a game involving dice. At the time of seeing the movie, I had no idea what the game was, but I now know. The game is an old pirate game and you can buy it at game stores/internet now. If you're interested it's called liar's dice, and it's an AWESOME game. Really fun with a number of people... it's a game completely based upon deception and bluffing.. anyway - pretty fun.

Now we can go back to talking about Shootin' Sammy.

chaerulez
12-14-2007, 10:02 AM
As West has written in his thread about Sosa, the bottom line is this, Sosa was just smarter than the others. He probably didn't do his dealings in the country. Therefore no federal prosecution, no reason for anyone to give him up. If he even wrote out a check or not is beside the point if the people he got the steroids from aren't even in his country and there is no way to get them to talk or admit anything. Only reason the dominoes fell is because people had reason to blow the whistle either for attention (Canseco), revenge (Kimberly Bell), or so they wouldn't go to jail (the Mets and Yankees clubhouse guys).

Unless someone in Latin American wants to make himself famous or needs to get revenge on Sosa, there won't be a link to him.

Stranger things have happened though. We'll see.

D. TODD
12-14-2007, 10:04 AM
He along with hundreds of others in the league that used are not mentioned. I think this pursuit of outing guys that used is a joke. It was an accepted part of the game by baseball all the way from management to the last guy on the roster. Now amphetamines, roids, HGH, etc. are not suppose to be in baseball so they should focus it's time & money on doing what they can to eliminate it now. Sosa's 66 is legit to me, as well as Bonds & Big Mac's. It was the era they played in.

Uncle_Patrick
12-14-2007, 10:06 AM
I give Sammy Sosa credit for being smart enough to pay for his steroids/HGH with cash and/or not using them around a bunch of blabbermouths, but the idea that the fact he is not named in the Mitchell report as user somehow vindicates him is ludacris. Some of the comments in that article are nauseating.

Taliesinrk
12-14-2007, 10:16 AM
He along with hundreds of others in the league that used are not mentioned. I think this pursuit of outing guys that used is a joke. It was an accepted part of the game by baseball all the way from management to the last guy on the roster. Now amphetamines, roids, HGH, etc. are not suppose to be in baseball so they should focus it's time & money on doing what they can to eliminate it now. Sosa's 66 is legit to me, as well as Bonds & Big Mac's. It was the era they played in.

So guys like Frank and co. should just suck it up?

D. TODD
12-14-2007, 10:49 AM
So guys like Frank and co. should just suck it up?
Unfortunately yes. He played in a time that with a wink wink baseball accepted it with a don't say don't tell era where performance enhancers were the norm. If you want to do something about it focus on the here and now to hopefully have a cleaner game in the future, it's too late for his time. It was his misfortune to play in the steroid era. We will see how subsequent eras will be, maybe more chemicals maybe less. Guys put up numbers, world championships were won, awards were given out and they are not all null and void because performance enhancers played a role to some extent in all of them. It affected every aspect of the game.

Madvora
12-14-2007, 10:55 AM
None of these records are legit. Steroids were illegal then and what they were doing was cheating. If these guys came out to the media in 1998 and said 'I've been taking steroids this year, I hope I can hit a lot more homeruns' then baseball would have suspended them and they'd be busted. Just because they hid the fact doesn't make their records legit.
It was an accepted part of the game by people who were trying to hide it. If it was truly acceptable then they'd be able to talk about it in the open.

voodoochile
12-14-2007, 11:01 AM

:chunks

rocky biddle
12-14-2007, 11:09 AM
Today, from Morrissey (http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/columnists/cs-071213morrissey,1,6122762.column?page=1&coll=chi_sports_util)-

So even though you probably knew it was a fraud, don't forget the Great Home Run Race of 1998. Don't forget the way baseball officially saluted it. Don't forget all the inflated numbers. Don't forget that pitchers were juiced too.

So, in the end, all this report did was give a little proof how widespread the problem was, and give Bonds and Sosa apologists more ammo for their inane rationalizations.

Chicken Dinner
12-14-2007, 11:24 AM
Think what you want about Sosa.......I suppose that bat wasn't corked either.

D. TODD
12-14-2007, 11:30 AM
None of these records are legit. Steroids were illegal then and what they were doing was cheating. If these guys came out to the media in 1998 and said 'I've been taking steroids this year, I hope I can hit a lot more homeruns' then baseball would have suspended them and they'd be busted. Just because they hid the fact doesn't make their records legit.
It was an accepted part of the game by people who were trying to hide it. If it was truly acceptable then they'd be able to talk about it in the open. Amphetamines were used illegally and accepted throughout baseball history, and handed out in clubhouses. They are the epitome of a performance enhancing drug (just not as effective a form as HGH/'roids) and now they are policed for use. All the records and accomplishments of it's era stand, as should this era's. They did not talk up the "greenie" poppin either but it was acceptable. If using andro/'roids/etc. wasn't acceptable it would have been addressed. It was part of the game in it's way but a part that just wasn't something they wanted to be put out into the public. They were not proud of it but they accepted it! To pick and choose what is real or not is silly to me. Either they stand or everything is washed away including world championships. I may not like what they did, but it was done by every team!

slavko
12-14-2007, 12:13 PM
As West has written in his thread about Sosa, the bottom line is this, Sosa was just smarter than the others. He probably didn't do his dealings in the country. Therefore no federal prosecution, no reason for anyone to give him up. If he even wrote out a check or not is beside the point if the people he got the steroids from aren't even in his country and there is no way to get them to talk or admit anything. Only reason the dominoes fell is because people had reason to blow the whistle either for attention (Canseco), revenge (Kimberly Bell), or so they wouldn't go to jail (the Mets and Yankees clubhouse guys).

Unless someone in Latin American wants to make himself famous or needs to get revenge on Sosa, there won't be a link to him.

Stranger things have happened though. We'll see.

You are correctamundo, sir. As has been posted on this site numerous times, he reported to spring training every year huger and huger with a face full of acne, which would subside as the year would go on. Worked out over the winter? The year Dusty took over the team, he said that this was the first winter he had ever worked out. So he's smart, but not that smart. I mean, use your bloodshot eyeballs, you euphoric Cubs fans!

Lip Man 1
12-14-2007, 01:40 PM
The circumstantial evidence is pretty damming.

*Remember the ten thousand dollars in cash that Sammy reported stolen out of his hotel room in Miami.

*How about Manny Alexander, Sammy's closest friend on the Cubs, being stopped in Chicago (when he was with the Red Sox) by police for a traffic violation. Syringes were found in the glove compartment of the car as well as a bottle of steroids.

*And last but not least the fact that steroids and such were (I don't know if they are now) not illegal in the Dominican Republic. This explains Sammy's carefully worded answer to Congress (through his interpreter since he doesn't speak English...LOL) about never having "injected" anything into his body. Which of course leaves open other ways of taking the stuff doesn't it?

Sorry I'm not buying this. Just look at the photos of Sammy in 1991 with the White Sox and Sammy in 1997. NOBODY gains that much weight and muscle by just working out.

Lip

Big Hurt #35=HOF
12-14-2007, 01:54 PM
Remember when his head grew 5 inches thicker

Remember when he was a twig and then blew up like Hulk in one off season

Remember when he got busted at the airport in Mexico with a bag of cash

Remember when he shattered his bat and cork came out

colles9
12-14-2007, 02:09 PM
This explains Sammy's carefully worded answer to Congress (through his interpreter since he doesn't speak English...LOL) about never having "injected" anything into his body. Which of course leaves open other ways of taking the stuff doesn't it?
Lip

Dianabol steroid of choice is typically an oral steriod. Which in higher doses causes substancial acne (also with sensative people) D-Bol is also not toxic to the liver but also causes a great deal of water retention (hence the bloating of most players). JUst thought I would contribute.

spawn
12-14-2007, 11:07 PM
Sosaescaped mention in the report. So did McGwire. I don't believe Brady Anderson was mentioned. Neither was Palmeiro. Just because Sosa's name wasn't mentioned in this report doesn't mean **** IMO. but then again, I'm not a Flubbie-apologist either. Cub fans are pathetic. This only proves it.

Nellie_Fox
12-15-2007, 01:22 AM
Sosa escaped mention in the report. So did McGwire.Thus negating the claim made by the Cub poster in the quotes above that Sosa is the real single-season home run leader. McGwire didn't want to talk about the past. Sammy didn't want to speak English. Both for the same reason.

RadioheadRocks
12-15-2007, 01:30 AM
Remember when his head grew 5 inches thicker

Remember when he was a twig and then blew up like Hulk in one off season

Remember when he got busted at the airport in Mexico with a bag of cash

Remember when he shattered his bat and cork came out

Remember when he needed an interpreter at the hearings because he "couldn't speak English"???!!!???!!!

FarWestChicago
12-15-2007, 09:15 AM
He along with hundreds of others in the league that used are not mentioned. I think this pursuit of outing guys that used is a joke. It was an accepted part of the game by baseball all the way from management to the last guy on the roster. Now amphetamines, roids, HGH, etc. are not suppose to be in baseball so they should focus it's time & money on doing what they can to eliminate it now. Sosa's 66 is legit to me, as well as Bonds & Big Mac's. It was the era they played in.:crossdresser

Madvora
12-15-2007, 10:09 AM
:crossdresser
This one has always confused me. Who the hell is that? What's the Cubs hat have to do anything? And where does the 'Go Sox!' come from?

white sox bill
12-15-2007, 10:53 AM
You really need positive proof before convicting Sammy. That being said and after competing in numerous bodybuilding competitions and also judging a few, I can say I'm 99% sure he drugged. However, after dating an attorney for many yrs, I also have the view of you MUST prove it. To date, other than what is visibal along with his stats, nothing can be proved. Whats the old saying something like "its better to let 100 guilty people go free than it is to convict 1 innocent"

But we all know he juiced.

voodoochile
12-15-2007, 11:21 AM
This one has always confused me. Who the hell is that? What's the Cubs hat have to do anything? And where does the 'Go Sox!' come from?

It's actually a man crossdressing hence the joke - a flubbie fan crossdressing as a Sox fan.

Madvora
12-15-2007, 11:33 AM
It's actually a man crossdressing hence the joke - a flubbie fan crossdressing as a Sox fan.
I guess my eyes never actually looked at the face.

Lip Man 1
12-16-2007, 10:42 PM
Apparently he hasn't escaped the notice of Rick Morrissey:

http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/cubs/cs-071216morrissey,1,3479429.column?coll=cs-home-utility

Lip

doctor30th
12-16-2007, 10:48 PM
Apparently he hasn't escaped the notice of Rick Morrissey:

http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/cubs/cs-071216morrissey,1,3479429.column?coll=cs-home-utility

Lip

Good for Rick.

I hate how some people are treating the Mitchell report as the end-all-be-all of steroid investigation.

When I think back on it, I remember that time that Sammy Sosa was staying at a hotel in Mexico I believe and 25k was stolen from his room. At the time I thought to myself "Oh, he was probably doing a steroid buy and the Dealer took the money and didn't leave the goods."

He's still Technically Clear for now, but in no way should a investigative report have to apologize for investigating someone who shows all the physical signs of HGH and steroid use.

ode to veeck
12-17-2007, 12:03 AM
Sorry I'm not buying this. Just look at the photos of Sammy in 1991 with the White Sox and Sammy in 1997. NOBODY gains that much weight and muscle by just working out.

Lip

He didn't grow a couple of hat sizes like Barriods did in his 40s, but in '91 Sammy was a hustling skinny guy who ran out a bunch of triples, not the overbulked corked bat and cash stuffed paper bag carrier he matured into later.