PDA

View Full Version : Reinsdorf do the right thing with Frank Thomas

kruzer31
12-14-2007, 12:35 AM
Frank Thomas and the Sox left on bad terms. We all want him to wear the Sox cap in Cooperstown. Frank lost out on the 2000 MVP to a juiced up Jason Giambi. I am sure Frank had a bonus coming if he would have won the award. Im asking the White Sox organization to reach out to Frank, present him with a check for the bonus he would have received for the 2000 AL MVP and commend him on his clean play throughout his career for the White Sox and after leaving. At this time they can tell him he is welcome back at any time for organization functions and a future job with the team and that his jersey will be retired when he retires and a statue will be in the works.

Congrats Frank on being one the greatest clean hitters of all time

JEFF

soltrain21
12-14-2007, 12:50 AM
How could Frank not wear a Sox hat into the hall?

oeo
12-14-2007, 12:57 AM
We all want him to wear the Sox cap in Cooperstown.

He doesn't have a choice; he will wear a Sox cap. Unless he plans on putting up the same kind of numbers for the Blue Jays for 15 years.

Nellie_Fox
12-14-2007, 01:00 AM
He doesn't have a choice; he will wear a Sox cap. Unless he plans on putting up the same kind of numbers for the Blue Jays for 15 years.Not entirely true. The HOF considers the wishes of the player, but reserves the final say on which cap the player wears. There is no hard and fast "he put up most of his numbers with this team, ergo" type of rule.

MUsoxfan
12-14-2007, 01:05 AM
Frank made enough money with the Sox without them having to cut him another check. The Sox paid him for many, many months for sitting on his ass with injuries. I love the guy, but just because he did the right thing in this investigation doesn't mean that Sox ownership should be writing huge checks and sending them to him

CWSpalehoseCWS
12-14-2007, 01:08 AM
The Sox will retire his number once he's retired and in the Hall.

Nellie_Fox
12-14-2007, 01:26 AM
Frank made enough money with the Sox without them having to cut him another check. The Sox paid him for many, many months for sitting on his ass with injuries. I love the guy, but just because he did the right thing in this investigation doesn't mean that Sox ownership should be writing huge checks and sending them to himI'm not arguing that the Sox should send him a check, but the point was that if it were not for Giambi roiding, Frank would have gotten the MVP, the Sox wouldn't have been able to exercise the "diminished skills" clause in his contract, and Frank wouldn't have lost a bunch of money. It wasn't that they should send him money for cooperating with the investigation.

Giambi is the one who owes him.

kruzer31
12-14-2007, 01:28 AM
Its just a thought, to give the Hurt some recognition on his 2000 season and the MVP that was stolen from him

MUsoxfan
12-14-2007, 02:34 AM
I'm not arguing that the Sox should send him a check, but the point was that if it were not for Giambi roiding, Frank would have gotten the MVP, the Sox wouldn't have been able to exercise the "diminished skills" clause in his contract, and Frank wouldn't have lost a bunch of money. It wasn't that they should send him money for cooperating with the investigation.

But didn't the Sox exercise that clause several years after that "MVP Season"? I'm just saying that I love Frank and I wish with all my heart that he could have played his entire career at 35th & Shields, but his health problems in recent years made it easy for Sox management to exercise that clause. I'm not saying whether it was a correct move or not, but it can certainly be justified.

Nellie_Fox
12-14-2007, 02:41 AM
But didn't the Sox exercise that clause several years after that "MVP Season"? I'm just saying that I love Frank and I wish with all my heart that he could have played his entire career at 35th & Shields, but his health problems in recent years made it easy for Sox management to exercise that clause. I'm not saying whether it was a correct move or not, but it can certainly be justified.The contract said that the "diminished skills" clause could not be exercised if Frank won an MVP (or one of a few other criteria) during the contract. That MVP would have made the Sox unable to exercise the clause.

WhiteSox5187
12-14-2007, 03:01 AM
The Sox will retire his number once he's retired and in the Hall.
Yea...he could also wind up getting a statue on the concourse too...I think that Frank is in ok standing with the Sox, that tribute we gave him when he came back both with Oakland and Toronto means something.

ksimpson14
12-14-2007, 03:08 AM
I didn't see the Toronto one, but I thought the Oakland tribute could've been better. It was a nice video, but awkward, only done in the middle of an inning. The ring ceremony also wasn't the same. The biggest cheer was for Rowand. It should've been for Frank.

That was a weird time for me, I was happy with Kenny for the championship, but bewildered why he was acting like a little kid that following offseason with the whole Frank thing, as it's obvious there's a personal grudge in there, and that had been evident for years.

I would love some sort of 1 day or low money signing to have him retire "as a Sox" when he does decide to hang em up

TDog
12-14-2007, 03:28 AM
Not entirely true. The HOF considers the wishes of the player, but reserves the final say on which cap the player wears. There is no hard and fast "he put up most of his numbers with this team, ergo" type of rule.

Sometimes it's a political decision. I think it was in the case of Gary Carter. I understand he didn't want his Hall of Fame plaque to depict him wearing an Expos cap. I believe his plaque depicts him as an Expo so that the Hall of Fame would be guaranteed the Expos were represented.

I don't see any way that Frank Thomas could be depicted as anything but a member of the White Sox, although the plaque will list every team he played for.

As for "doing the right thing" with Frank Thomas, there may well be a rule against one team paying what would amount to a bonus to a player who is on the active roster of another team. If there isn't, it might be because it is inconceivable that a businessman who has shareholders to answer to would do such a thing.

Grzegorz
12-14-2007, 04:50 AM
Why is it important what cap he wears if he's inducted?

Do franchises get some sort of subsidy if they have 'x' amount of members in the HOF wearing their hat?

ksimpson14
12-14-2007, 05:03 AM

Do franchises get some sort of subsidy if they have 'x' amount of members in the HOF wearing their hat?

Does this really have to be asked? :?:

IlliniSox4Life
12-14-2007, 06:29 AM
Not entirely true. The HOF considers the wishes of the player, but reserves the final say on which cap the player wears. There is no hard and fast "he put up most of his numbers with this team, ergo" type of rule.
Yeah, but are they really going to allow him to go in with an Oakland or Toronto hat? I mean, lets say Frank is pissed and wants to wear a Toronto hat (which I don't think would be the case), is the hall really going to let him in with two, three or even four years of service up there? I doubt it. I mean, he's still a good player, but he's not winning any MVPs.

itsnotrequired
12-14-2007, 08:03 AM

I heard he is going to wear an Orioles hat.

AZChiSoxFan
12-14-2007, 08:25 AM
Sometimes it's a political decision. I think it was in the case of Gary Carter. I understand he didn't want his Hall of Fame plaque to depict him wearing an Expos cap. I believe his plaque depicts him as an Expo so that the Hall of Fame would be guaranteed the Expos were represented.

I don't see any way that Frank Thomas could be depicted as anything but a member of the White Sox, although the plaque will list every team he played for.

As for "doing the right thing" with Frank Thomas, there may well be a rule against one team paying what would amount to a bonus to a player who is on the active roster of another team. If there isn't, it might be because it is inconceivable that a businessman who has shareholders to answer to would do such a thing.

Who on Earth do JR and EI have to answer to?

Steelrod
12-14-2007, 08:30 AM
Their partners!

Noneck
12-14-2007, 08:52 AM
I can see something like this happening. A Wednesday night game in mid September of 2011. Management sees advanced sales at about 10,000. So they plan a Thomas night to pack the house, give Thomas some compensation and pocket the rest.

voodoochile
12-14-2007, 08:53 AM
The contract said that the "diminished skills" clause could not be exercised if Frank won an MVP (or one of a few other criteria) during the contract. That MVP would have made the Sox unable to exercise the clause.

If he won the MVP it removed the DSC entirely from the contract.

If he finished top 10 in voting they couldn't enact it the following off season.

soxfan13
12-14-2007, 09:08 AM
I'm not arguing that the Sox should send him a check, but the point was that if it were not for Giambi roiding, Frank would have gotten the MVP, the Sox wouldn't have been able to exercise the "diminished skills" clause in his contract, and Frank wouldn't have lost a bunch of money. It wasn't that they should send him money for cooperating with the investigation.

IIRC wasnt the clause exercised after the following season? Oh and I cant stop laughing at the fact The Dude was called a bandwagoner!!!!

soxfan13
12-14-2007, 10:44 AM
If he won the MVP it removed the DSC entirely from the contract.

If he finished top 10 in voting they couldn't enact it the following off season.

I see thank you i didnt see your post earlier:gulp:

Red Barchetta
12-14-2007, 11:12 AM

I'm as big a Frank Thomas fan as the next guy, however we can't base everything on the Mitchell Report. If we did, I guess an argument could be made for paying Sosa more money.

Plus, when it comes to pro athlete salaries and monies due, no sympathy from me. Frank was well paid under a contract that his agent negotiated with his input. Same goes for Scotty Pippen during the Reinsdorf era.

If anyone should turn over the MVP award, it should be Giambi.

asindc
12-14-2007, 11:26 AM

You're joking, right?:o:

ode to veeck
12-14-2007, 11:44 AM
I'm as big a Frank Thomas fan as the next guy, however we can't base everything on the Mitchell Report. If we did, I guess an argument could be made for paying Sosa more money.

ummm what's your point? ... that Frank may have been a juicer? While I strongly agree the Mitchell report is far froma complete list given the extreme minority of testimonies, if you're trying to imply Frank is even still a suspect, you are totally lost.

soxinem1
12-14-2007, 02:39 PM
I didn't see the Toronto one, but I thought the Oakland tribute could've been better. It was a nice video, but awkward, only done in the middle of an inning. The ring ceremony also wasn't the same. The biggest cheer was for Rowand. It should've been for Frank.

That was a weird time for me, I was happy with Kenny for the championship, but bewildered why he was acting like a little kid that following offseason with the whole Frank thing, as it's obvious there's a personal grudge in there, and that had been evident for years.

I would love some sort of 1 day or low money signing to have him retire "as a Sox" when he does decide to hang em up

They did a video tribute of about 5-10 minutes before that game started.

soxfan13
12-14-2007, 02:49 PM
ummm what's your point? ... that Frank may have been a juicer? While I strongly agree the Mitchell report is far froma complete list given the extreme minority of testimonies, if you're trying to imply Frank is even still a suspect, you are totally lost.

I think he is implying that Sosa should have been on list with quite a few others that are suspected to have been on roids, so you cant base everything on this one report. IMO

soxfan13
12-14-2007, 02:53 PM

Why?The ring ceremony wasnt a celebration of a career, it was a celebration of the team winning the World Series. If you didnt notice Rowand contributed just a tad bit more that year then Thomas did.

mcfish
12-14-2007, 02:58 PM
The Sox will retire his number once he's retired and in the Hall.What's up with that? The Sox retired Harold Baines' number twice and he's not even in the Hall. Frank shouldn't have to wait 6+ years for that honor. (Maybe wait until he retires I guess, because of the Baines debacle.)

WhiteSox5187
12-14-2007, 03:04 PM

Well...Rowand was more of a contributer to the '05 team than Frank was and also Frank had that bit where he blasted the Sox in the press and that might have left a bitter taste in some fans' mouth. Either way Frank is always going to be remembered as a member of the Chicago White Sox. It's just a shame his 500th HR had to come with Toronto.

russ99
12-14-2007, 03:06 PM
Didn't Kenny and Frank bury the hatchet sometime during the '06 season?

I'm kind of hoping for one last go-around with Frank on the Sox after the Hurt's contract expires after this season. Probably won't happen though.

I expect Frank's number to be retired after he hangs 'em up (not before, Jerry's still embarassed about the Baines thing) and eventually get his own statue.

It wouldn't surprise me if Ozzie wants him on the coaching staff at some point too.

jortafan
12-14-2007, 04:58 PM
Didn't Kenny and Frank bury the hatchet sometime during the '06 season?

I thought they just kind of agreed to quit publicly taking cheap shots at each other. I don't expect those two will ever get along personally.

I expect Frank to play a future role with the White Sox similar to the one played now by Bo Jackson. He'll show up at spring training, take batting practice occasionally, and sort of be treated as one of the White Sox immortals, without ever being given a substantial role in the operation of the ballclub.

While he might be capable of working as a hitting instructor, I can't see him being willing to move to the Carolinas or to Birmingham to work with the White Sox minor league affiliates.

downstairs
12-14-2007, 05:13 PM

They each own a very small portion of the team. Jerry just happens to be a "managing partner" rather than a "silent partner". Also holds the title of CEO or Chairman or something like that.

But, when it comes to money... Jerry can't do anything he wishes, I am sure.

thomas35forever
12-14-2007, 06:22 PM
It wouldn't surprise me if Ozzie wants him on the coaching staff at some point too.
Don't count on it. Frank would probably only represent the Sox in the community a la Billy Pierce for the time being. Still, he could probably be a better hitting coach than Greg Walker.

Grzegorz
12-14-2007, 08:36 PM
You're joking, right?:o:

No, I am not. Frank Thomas will always be a Chicago White Sox ballplayer. Whatever hat adorns his head on that goofy looking HOF plaque makes no difference at all.

drewcifer
12-14-2007, 09:19 PM

Yeah, big deal for alot of us.

Does this really have to be asked? :?:

Guess so.

Nellie_Fox
12-14-2007, 11:54 PM
I'm kind of hoping for one last go-around with Frank on the Sox after the Hurt's contract expires after this season. Probably won't happen though.Frank's contract with Toronto only expires after this coming season if he doesn't have a total of at least 1,000 plate appearances from 07-08. Since he had 624 this year, he only need 376 in 08 for the 09 season to kick in for $10 mill.

Frontman
12-15-2007, 12:01 AM
Its a nice thought, but I think the Sox have in the past few seasons really given Frank a lot of credit, they've all but said they'll retire his number, as well as make a statue of him for the concourse.

Honestly, if I was Frank, I would feel that the money might be a neat gesture; but it isn't what I'd want in the long run.

HomeFish
12-15-2007, 02:39 AM
Why?The ring ceremony wasnt a celebration of a career, it was a celebration of the team winning the World Series. If you didnt notice Rowand contributed just a tad bit more that year then Thomas did.

Without question, the loudest cheering I have ever heard at US Cellular Field was when Frank Thomas threw out the ceremonial first pitch at Game 1 of the 2005 ALDS.

I was there for the Iguchi homer after the Graffanino incident, I was there for AJ's dropped third strike, I was there for Game 1 of the World Series. So I've heard some pretty loud cheering at the Cell. But nothing like when Big Frank came out to be honored.