PDA

View Full Version : Is Gio ready for the majors?

JermaineDye05
12-13-2007, 07:41 PM
So after a good bounce back season in 2007, where he led the minors in SO's, some people believe Gio could be in line for the rotation in 2008. My question, is he ready for the majors? I know he has a plus fastball and a very good curve, and that he's been working on a change up but how good is it? I would love to see Gio in the rotation next year or at least try out. However, I don't want to see him rushed through the system because I really think he has a chance to be a good #1 or #2 starter in our rotation.

drewcifer
12-13-2007, 07:43 PM
I will be in Tucson again to see him. 2 spots (in my mind) open for him to take one of..if he wants it.

I'm pulling for him.

Daver
12-13-2007, 07:48 PM
No.

SoxNation05
12-13-2007, 07:50 PM
I know he probably has the most potential out of everybody except maybe DLS but I think keeping Floyd and Danks in the rotation who are major league ready would be the right move. Floyd is out of options and on a tight leash and they have to figure out if he has a future here. Danks was last years top pitching prospect and to give up on him now is foolish. His trade value has been diminished so seeing what he can do is a better option then trading him. Also nobody is sure whether Gio is ready and if he is put in there to early he may be ruined so I say unless someone gets injured, Gio should be in the minors. Even if Gio has a great spring training I don't think he should be put in the rotation. Remeber the season Danks had last year I am not saying Danks is ruined but I don't want Gio to be ruined when he can be a 1 or 2 starter

Daver
12-13-2007, 07:54 PM
I know he probably has the most potential out of everybody except maybe DLS but I think keeping Floyd and Danks in the rotation who are major league ready would be the right move. Floyd is out of options and on a tight leash and they have to figure out if he has a future here. Danks was last years top pitching prospect and to give up on him now is foolish. His trade value has been diminished so seeing what he can do is a better option then trading him. Also nobody is sure whether Gio is ready and if he is put in there to early he may be ruined so I say unless someone gets injured Gio should be in the minors. Even if Gio has a great spring training I don't think he should be put in the rotation. Remeber the season Danks had last year I am not saying Danks is ruined but I don't want Gio to be ruined when his trade value is rising and we are unsure whether he is ready.

Ranking young pitchers by trade value has to be one of the dumbest things I have ever seen.

drewcifer
12-13-2007, 07:59 PM
I know he probably has the most potential out of everybody except maybe DLS but I think keeping Floyd and Danks in the rotation who are major league ready would be the right move. Floyd is out of options and on a tight leash and they have to figure out if he has a future here. Danks was last years top pitching prospect and to give up on him now is foolish. His trade value has been diminished so seeing what he can do is a better option then trading him. Also nobody is sure whether Gio is ready and if he is put in there to early he may be ruined so I say unless someone gets injured Gio should be in the minors. Even if Gio has a great spring training I don't think he should be put in the rotation. Remeber the season Danks had last year I am not saying Danks is ruined but I don't want Gio to be ruined when his trade value is rising and we are unsure whether he is ready.

I don't get this. When you decide to make a starter of a 'youngin' the idea of trade value should not be a concern. You are building a serious starter.

Trade a guy who "projects" as a starter... Or "projects" as a closer. When you're at the point where you have 2 real starters (Mark, Javy), and questions in Jose Contreras, John Danks, Gavin Floyd to finish it... we're not talking about building trade value anymore. We are LOOKING FOR A REAL STARTER FROM THE FARM.

As I said, I'm pulling for him to become the next Jon or Mark (5-7 years +) as a real SP in our rotation.

The Immigrant
12-13-2007, 08:14 PM
No.

Daver, what do you think he needs to accomplish in the minors before he is ready and how would you compare his current readiness with that of Danks or Floyd?

I've never seen the kid pitch, but it sounds like he has a higher ceiling than either of the other two.

Daver
12-13-2007, 08:30 PM
Daver, what do you think he needs to accomplish in the minors before he is ready and how would you compare his current readiness with that of Danks or Floyd?

I've never seen the kid pitch, but it sounds like he has a higher ceiling than either of the other two.

The two most important things a pitcher learns in the minors is confidence, and a short memory. Danks has learned it, he proved it last year, he pitched his ass off and got no help from his team mates, Danks should have been around .500 last season. Gio still goes out and has a bad outing to follow a bad outing, because he hasn't learned to let the last start go. I have nothing to base Floyd on aside from what he did in the NL, and the few appearances he made for the Sox last year, but he won't be much worse in the fifth spot than 2/3 of the league will trot out there, and may surprise the hell out of us, he had the talent to be a first round pick.

cards press box
12-15-2007, 05:17 AM
What about Lance Broadway? In his "cup of coffee" last September, he pitched well and showed poise. Where does he project next year?

russ99
12-15-2007, 11:34 AM
It would be risky for the Sox to promote (or deal) Gio now, when he can be a MLB top-10 prospect next year with a solid season at AAA.

I'd love to see Kenny come out and say Broadway is in the mix as our #5 starter than to keep spewing out this Danks/Floyd garbage. To rely on one of the two to step up is OK, but to assume both will improve enough to anchor the backend of the rotation is foolhardy.

SoxxoS
12-15-2007, 11:38 AM
I dont think Broadway is that good. Walks far too many guys for his K rate. He is looking like a long relief guy to me, at best..unless he can get his control down, which doesn't appear likely in the majors.

California Sox
12-15-2007, 02:38 PM
I dont think Broadway is that good. Walks far too many guys for his K rate. He is looking like a long relief guy to me, at best..unless he can get his control down, which doesn't appear likely in the majors.

It's an interesting thing with Broadway, isn't it? He has great command of a 4-seamer, change, and breaking ball. The Sox insisted he add a 2-seamer which he has no control over, let alone command. He junked the 2-seamer for the most part in the majors and was successful. If you look at his numbers from Birmingham, his walk totals aren't bad at all. So the question with him becomes: Can he harness the sinker? Or if he junks the sinker, can he survive in the Cell without it? Should be fascinating. I don't have high hopes for him, but you've got to give him credit for one thing, the kid competes.

Save McCuddy's
12-15-2007, 04:18 PM
The two most important things a pitcher learns in the minors is confidence, and a short memory. Danks has learned it, he proved it last year, he pitched his ass off and got no help from his team mates, Danks should have been around .500 last season. Gio still goes out and has a bad outing to follow a bad outing, because he hasn't learned to let the last start go. I have nothing to base Floyd on aside from what he did in the NL, and the few appearances he made for the Sox last year, but he won't be much worse in the fifth spot than 2/3 of the league will trot out there, and may surprise the hell out of us, he had the talent to be a first round pick.

Danks was extremely tough mentally right off the bat for us last year. I am optimistic that we have yet to see his best performances yet. Great makeup.

Gio has better stuff. He'll be able to get fastballs by major leaguers in fastball counts. Will he be able to bounce back when those pitches get tagged? I think we'll get our first glimpse in late May or early June when Contreras goes on the DL -- or Floyd gets released.

KRS1
12-15-2007, 06:07 PM
It's an interesting thing with Broadway, isn't it? He has great command of a 4-seamer, change, and breaking ball. The Sox insisted he add a 2-seamer which he has no control over, let alone command. He junked the 2-seamer for the most part in the majors and was successful.

He actually threw that 2-seamer quite a bit in his only start. He k'ed Gathright on a pretty nasty one. I should mention that I love Gameday pitch FX, and going over the season and our pitchers the last few weeks on it has been pretty fun. It seems to be getting some praise for it's accuracy, consistency, and detail. I didn't get to watch it this season as I only watch the games with X-innings, but the radar on it appears to be MUCH more accurate than the park to park ones, especially USCF on Comcast, which pretty much blows.

Going over the tape I have off his start, it looks as if he he actually throws three different fastballs(86-88 sinker, 88-91 2-seam, 90-92 4-seam).

btrain929
12-15-2007, 08:32 PM
He actually threw that 2-seamer quite a bit in his only start. He k'ed Gathright on a pretty nasty one. I should mention that I love Gameday pitch FX, and going over the season and our pitchers the last few weeks on it has been pretty fun. It seems to be getting some praise for it's accuracy, consistency, and detail. I didn't get to watch it this season as I only watch the games with X-innings, but the radar on it appears to be MUCH more accurate than the park to park ones, especially USCF on Comcast, which pretty much blows.

Going over the tape I have off his start, it looks as if he he actually throws three different fastballs(86-88 sinker, 88-91 2-seam, 90-92 4-seam).

That's the first thing that comes to my mind when I think back on his start. That thing had nasty movement back over the corner....very Maddux-esque. I know every one of his 2 seamers isn't like that, but that particular one was as good as it gets.

If I had it my way, this year Broadway, Gio, and Egbert are all in AAA at the start of the season. Floyd does awesome and holds onto the 5th starter spot all year. In reality, though, I think Floyd sucks, is released, and is replaced with Broadway (who has been putting up dominating numbers in AAA) around the All Star Break. He ends the year going 9-3 with a 3.9 era. Gio is a September call up and dominates, and replaces Contreras in '09 when we trade him in the offseason.

'09 Rotation: Buehrle, Vazquez, Danks, Broadway, Gio.

Again, this is if I had it my way. We'll see......

gogosox16
12-15-2007, 09:48 PM
That's the first thing that comes to my mind when I think back on his start. That thing had nasty movement back over the corner....very Maddux-esque. I know every one of his 2 seamers isn't like that, but that particular one was as good as it gets.

If I had it my way, this year Broadway, Gio, and Egbert are all in AAA at the start of the season. Floyd does awesome and holds onto the 5th starter spot all year. In reality, though, I think Floyd sucks, is released, and is replaced with Broadway (who has been putting up dominating numbers in AAA) around the All Star Break. He ends the year going 9-3 with a 3.9 era. Gio is a September call up and dominates, and replaces Contreras in '09 when we trade him in the offseason.

'09 Rotation: Buehrle, Vazquez, Danks, Broadway, Gio.

Again, this is if I had it my way. We'll see......
I wouldn't mind that rotation in 2009 cause first off it saves us money by dumping Contreras and Gio will be ready, as for the Broadway/Floyd thing, I think that if Floyd puts up an era of around 4-4.5 this upcoming year he'll be back in '09, but say he struggles and gets era of 4.5-to low 5's, I think he loses his chance of being a starter and going to a long relief with this team, I dont see them releasing him without getting anything in return

Also we will still be a couple years behind Detroit, Cleveland in our division and we should give the young guys the chance.

BainesHOF
12-16-2007, 01:26 AM
Since Danks showed great potential to be the next Danny Wright at the back end of the rotation, and that's not a good thing, I hope and believe Gio will be in the rotation.

Personally, I think Williams has talked up Danks and even Contreras in order to make it easier to dump them. Danks got progressively worse at the season went along - again, not a good thing.

I think Floyd still has a shot to be a decent starter.

Big Hurt #35=HOF
12-16-2007, 04:29 AM

I think one of the most important things to learn is CONTROL. and to me thats Danks biggest problem, once he gets control of that fast ball and breaking pitch he will be solid! I like Gio, Danks and yes even Floyd. We have to see what we have with Danks/Floyd anbd then work in Gio!

We should wait on Gio and give him a few starts in 08 depending on whats going on with the rest of the rotation at the time.

gogosox16
12-16-2007, 10:16 AM
Since Danks showed great potential to be the next Danny Wright at the back end of the rotation, and that's not a good thing, I hope and believe Gio will be in the rotation.

Personally, I think Williams has talked up Danks and even Contreras in order to make it easier to dump them. Danks got progressively worse at the season went along - again, not a good thing.

He was in his rookie season and everyone goes through ups and downs and you can't compare Danks to Danny Wright after one year. Danks got experience that he really didnt have cause he only played I believe a half a year in AAA and now he understands what he needs to do to be sucessful in the majors and he will have a bounce back season this year I believe

Randar68
12-16-2007, 12:33 PM
I don't think he is ready for the rotation yet, no. Is he ready for the majors?

I want to see him have a bullpen role on this team and to be a regular 2-3 inning guy. I still hope he continues to mature and learn, but I see him best doing this in Chicago out of the pen or as a spot starter. I think a role like that would be beneficial to his development.

As for Danks? He competes. I like that out of my 4th and 5th starters. I thought he wore down and the league was making him get his offspeed stuff over the plate more later in the season, but I was very impressed by his approach and that he battled consistently, even when he would get hit.

btrain929
12-16-2007, 12:48 PM

It was his longest season as a big leaguer, facing the hardest competition he's ever faced. I'm assuming he looked back on all of this this offseason and is making the correct adjustments to come back and be effective deeper in the year (conditioning wise, etc). If he didn't, that's a problem. But I'd like to think he's busting his ass to get better....he seems like that type of competitor.

Optipessimism
12-16-2007, 02:51 PM
I want to see him put together a good year at Charlotte first. There's no need to rush him because even if Jose gets off to a good start and we're able to deal him around the break for something of value without eating cash, we'll still have six guys besides Gio in Danks, Floyd, Egbert, Broadway, Haeger and Masset for three spots in the rotation. Admittedly the last two are longshots, but if everything else fails I think I'd still rather see on of them in there if it means Gio can spend a whole year learning to pitch in a bandbox like Charlotte.

Dan Mega
12-16-2007, 05:34 PM
Give him a full year in AAA.

Save McCuddy's
12-26-2007, 10:27 AM
I don't think he is ready for the rotation yet, no. Is he ready for the majors?

I want to see him have a bullpen role on this team and to be a regular 2-3 inning guy. I still hope he continues to mature and learn, but I see him best doing this in Chicago out of the pen or as a spot starter. I think a role like that would be beneficial to his development.

As for Danks? He competes. I like that out of my 4th and 5th starters. I thought he wore down and the league was making him get his offspeed stuff over the plate more later in the season, but I was very impressed by his approach and that he battled consistently, even when he would get hit.

Agree completely. Break Gio into the bigs as a 2 inning reliever. His stuff should prove to be effective in that role and we have a large need in that department. This gives him a chance to acclimate to the majors. The best teams use this method constantly to season their prospects and infuse talent into the bull pen.

Tekijawa
12-26-2007, 01:12 PM
I heard Gio won't pitch in the Majors until his brother can also!

Seriously, I can't wait to see him up here, but I think that the best thing for him would be a mid season call up at the earliest and start him out of the pen like Garland and Buehrle did.

gogosox16
12-26-2007, 01:13 PM
I heard Gio won't pitch in the Majors until his brother can also!

Seriously, I can't wait to see him up here, but I think that the best thing for him would be a mid season call up at the earliest and start him out of the pen like Garland and Buehrle did.
He has a brother?

Tekijawa
12-26-2007, 01:21 PM
He has a brother?

It's because of this incident, or perceived incident, that Gio fell to us...

http://www.baseballamerica.com/today/news/040504gonzalez.html

Giovanny Gonzalez, the ace lefthander for Monsignor Pace High in Opa Locka, Fla., was dismissed from the team along with his brother Max. Their dismissals came after a public argument between their mother Yolanda and Pace coach Tom Duffin that witnesses say stemmed from Max' lack of playing time.

gogosox16
12-26-2007, 01:25 PM
It's because of this incident, or perceived incident, that Gio fell to us...

http://www.baseballamerica.com/today/news/040504gonzalez.html

Giovanny Gonzalez, the ace lefthander for Monsignor Pace High in Opa Locka, Fla., was dismissed from the team along with his brother Max. Their dismissals came after a public argument between their mother Yolanda and Pace coach Tom Duffin that witnesses say stemmed from Max' lack of playing time.
So how did the team end up doing in the playoffs.

Billy Ashley
12-26-2007, 11:18 PM
Agree completely. Break Gio into the bigs as a 2 inning reliever. His stuff should prove to be effective in that role and we have a large need in that department. This gives him a chance to acclimate to the majors. The best teams use this method constantly to season their prospects and infuse talent into the bull pen.

The Twins have done a great job of doing that in the past. As a fan, I'm interested in seeing what Gio does in the majors. He's always been a guy who has had much better statistics driving his hype rather than pure "stuff", similar to that of Ian Kennedy.

A lot of people think of him as a 3 or maybe 2, but how many kids get that many Ks at AA at the age of 20 and 21, not many.

tick53
12-28-2007, 04:39 PM
The jury's still out. :dunno:

Andy T Clown
01-03-2008, 01:25 PM
He Gone

rdivaldi
01-03-2008, 01:37 PM
He Gone

:angry::angry::angry: (not at you Andy...)