PDA

View Full Version : Question on Figgins

AZChiSoxFan
12-13-2007, 09:07 AM
I have a question regarding Chone Figgins. Lots of people here seem to think that the Sox should "just go get him" from the Halos. I don't disagree with that but my question is: why would the Halos want to get rid of him? Do they have someone else in mind to step into his position?

sox1970
12-13-2007, 09:31 AM
I have a question regarding Chone Figgins. Lots of people here seem to think that the Sox should "just go get him" from the Halos. I don't disagree with that but my question is: why would the Halos want to get rid of him? Do they have someone else in mind to step into his position?

I don't think they do. The guy they should be going after is Reggie Willits.

russ99
12-13-2007, 10:08 AM
I don't think they do. The guy they should be going after is Reggie Willits.

The problem with Figgins (and Ryan Freel of Cincinnatti) is that he has no set position. He can play 3B, 2B and all 3 outfield positions, but isn't really the first choice at either.

If Crede proves to be healthy, he could be dealt to the Angels for Figgins since he's a more proven defensive player at one position, 3B which is where Figgins is currently pencilled in. For the Angels to go for it, I'd think one of our top prospects would have to be included.

If Figgins came to the Sox, he'd be a better fit at 2B than in the outfield.

PalehosePlanet
12-13-2007, 10:31 AM
The problem with Figgins (and Ryan Freel of Cincinnatti) is that he has no set position. He can play 3B, 2B and all 3 outfield positions, but isn't really the first choice at either.

This, his versatility, and his speed is why other teams have expressed an interest in him.

Overall, I think the reason why other GM's might think he's available, is because the Angels have often times become impatient with his long slumps and have dropped him down into the 9 hole in the lineup on numerous occasions. Also, the fact that the Angels are constantly looking for a power upgrade and the fact that Figgins is not needed in a crowded OF picture, makes teams think that he could be the odd man out and therefore be had in a trade.

SoxNation05
12-13-2007, 07:41 PM
Honestly I don't like when I see peoples ideal moves and signings and I see them having Figgins in CF. I'd love to have Figgins but he would have to be a LF or RF if Dye gets moved. With Crede and Fields at third there is no room there. He can also spell Richar time at 2B but he is not a CF. He might not be bad in The Cell but in ballparks like Comerica and Fenway he would just be dreadful.