PDA

View Full Version : Kip Wells to Rockies

Fantosme
12-13-2007, 03:08 AM
You know that teams are making a lot of money when they can afford to hand out $3 million per year to a guy who amassed an impressive 5.70 ERA while pitching in the worst division in baseball.

doublem23
12-13-2007, 10:07 AM
I'm sure Wells will flourish in that Rocky Mountain air.

Colorado will dump him by July. Guaranteed.

kittle42
12-13-2007, 10:12 AM
He may be over 8.00. Wow.

chisoxmike
12-13-2007, 10:15 AM
You know that teams are making a lot of money when they can afford to hand out $3 million per year to a guy who amassed an impressive 5.70 ERA while pitching in the worst division in baseball.

Some teams adjust to the market. Others don't. Not saying that Kip Wells is worth anything. But, just saying...

Huisj
12-13-2007, 12:20 PM
Colorado is just trying to reconstruct the great young 1-2 tandem of him and Fogg that was at one time going to lead the Sox to multiple championships before they went to Pittsburgh and dominated the NL.

Save McCuddy's
12-15-2007, 04:52 PM
Colorado has proven to a bit smarter than conventional wisdom would suggest. I'd rather have Wells at $3 million than Contreras for $10 million.

DSpivack
12-15-2007, 05:27 PM
Are they replacing Fogg with Wells or will the two be in the rotation together?

manders_01
12-15-2007, 05:57 PM
Are they replacing Fogg with Wells or will the two be in the rotation together?

Fogg is not on the Rockies roster. He's a free agent.

Fantosme
12-15-2007, 09:48 PM
Colorado has proven to a bit smarter than conventional wisdom would suggest. I'd rather have Wells at $3 million than Contreras for $10 million.

You are missing the point. The Sox gave Contreras $10 million, because at the time he was a reliable 3rd starter. The Rockies are paying Wells $3 million, despite knowing that he may not even make the team.

soxfanreggie
12-15-2007, 09:51 PM
Maybe for $1 or 1.5 mil...

Foulke You
12-15-2007, 09:52 PM
I wouldn't. You know Kip Wells is going to be terrible and be a huge hole in your rotation. If "Good Contreras" shows up next year, you can get 15 wins out of him and his stuff can be dominating as we've seen for stretches in his White Sox career. Kip Wells probably wouldn't get 15 wins in 2 seasons in today's AL Central.

Save McCuddy's
12-16-2007, 08:16 PM
I wouldn't. You know Kip Wells is going to be terrible and be a huge hole in your rotation. If "Good Contreras" shows up next year, you can get 15 wins out of him and his stuff can be dominating as we've seen for stretches in his White Sox career. Kip Wells probably wouldn't get 15 wins in 2 seasons in today's AL Central.

Contreras has won 15 games exactly once.

Wells won't have to win any games in this year's AL Central.

I do agree that Contreras is at least capable of being dominant while Wells is certainly not, but $10 mill is quite pricey for what it appears we will be getting from him moving forward.

SBSoxFan
12-17-2007, 11:42 AM
Contreras has won 15 games exactly once.

Wells won't have to win any games in this year's AL Central.

I do agree that Contreras is at least capable of being dominant while Wells is certainly not, but $10 mill is quite pricey for what it appears we will be getting from him moving forward.

Contreras had a crazy year. Somehow, he still managed to win 10 games, 9 as a starter. Moving forward: he did manage to win 5 of his last 8 decisions, won 4 straight starts in August and September, lowered his ERA from 6.60 to 5.57, and walked only 5 in his last 5 starts.

I think he's going to be ok. :gulp:

oh, and he's also won 13 or more in 4 of the 5 seasons he's been a full-time starter.