PDA

View Full Version : CBS 2: State of Illinois to Buy Wrigley Field?

Viva Medias B's
12-12-2007, 10:04 PM
CBS 2's Jay Levine is reporting on tonight's 10:00 news that the State of Illinois is negotiating with Tribune Co. to purchase Wrigley Field before the Chicago National League Ballclub, Inc., is sold by TribCo. Because the report just aired, it is not yet on the CBS 2 website (http://cbs2chicago.com/).

WhiteSox5187
12-12-2007, 10:37 PM
Aren't there other dumps the state could invest in?

PalehosePlanet
12-12-2007, 10:42 PM
This will knock down the overall value of the team signifcantly. I'm sure that was a big part of the allure to purchase the team. If the new owners have to pay a hefty rent, the sale of the team won't bring back nearly the return they would have hoped.

dickallen15
12-12-2007, 10:42 PM
I want Mayor Daley to take it over. Bring in the bulldozers. It would make a nice park for the people of Lakeview to walk around in. Maybe they can build a hill for sledding and tobaggoning.

Viva Medias B's
12-12-2007, 10:44 PM
Here is an article link (http://cbs2chicago.com/local/tribune.wrigley.field.2.609890.html). Apparently, Gov. Blagojevich's people have been talking to TribCo about this.

DSpivack
12-12-2007, 10:45 PM
Here is an article link (http://cbs2chicago.com/local/tribune.wrigley.field.2.609890.html). Apparently, Gov. Blagojevich's people have been talking to TribCo about this.

I'd be rather disgusted, if I was a an Illinois taxpayer. Any other reason besides Blags being a fanboy?

PalehosePlanet
12-12-2007, 10:49 PM
I'd be rather disgusted, if I was a an Illinois taxpayer. Any other reason besides Blags being a fanboy?

Yeah, the rent they'll charge would probably be hefty enough that it would not only cover the upkeep of that dilapidated ****hole but would also make the state a profit.

doctor30th
12-12-2007, 10:54 PM
This is the most crushing news of the day and week.

Worse than News about all our missed CF options combined.

Frontman
12-12-2007, 10:59 PM
Oh that is great.

Wait, if the State buys it, can they make it the only public place you can smoke in the State of Illinois?

Then it might be worth them doing it.

ND_Sox_Fan
12-12-2007, 11:41 PM
I want Mayor Daley to take it over. Bring in the bulldozers. It would make a nice park for the people of Lakeview to walk around in. Maybe they can build a hill for sledding and tobaggoning.

These people of Lakeview aren't going to be too happy without an open-air bar surrounded by urine-infested concrete and ivy that is situated on the middle of their little hill. Maybe they could even keep the bar open during the winter if they have people coming there to sled.

DumpJerry
12-12-2007, 11:43 PM
Oh that is great.

Wait, if the State buys it, can they make it the only public place you can smoke in the State of Illinois?

Umm...do you know who owns U.S. Cellular Field?

This is directed at everyone who is responding to this thread with negative thoughts about this idea.

spiffie
12-13-2007, 01:16 AM

This is directed at everyone who is responding to this thread with negative thoughts about this idea.
You're forgetting that's different because it's US. Kind of like how anyone *****ing about the offseason needs to relax, have a beer and enjoy a day in the sunshine like a true Sox fan, but Cubs fans suck because they just go to games to sit in the sun and drink beer :cool:

Viva Medias B's
12-13-2007, 06:38 AM
Through the Illinois Sports Facility Authority, the state owns U.S. Cellular Field. The upkeep is paid for through rent payments made by the Sox to the state as well as hotel/motel taxes.

DumpJerry
12-13-2007, 06:57 AM
Channel 5 is reporting that naming rights to The Urinal will be done this summer with the sale of the place.

The phone call ringing in the Tribune Tower is the call from the Kohler Company. They are in a bidding war with American Standard.

peeonwrigley
12-13-2007, 07:07 AM
Channel 5 is reporting that naming rights to The Urinal will be done this summer with the sale of the place.

The phone call ringing in the Tribune Tower is the call from the Kohler Company. They are in a bidding war with American Standard.

Kohler is way too high quality. Perhaps some industrial trough brands will get in on the bidding.

soxwon
12-13-2007, 07:13 AM
Aren't there other dumps the state could invest in?

I Smell Tony Rezko here!!!! LOL

Viva Medias B's
12-13-2007, 07:17 AM
Kohler is way too high quality. Perhaps some industrial trough brands will get in on the bidding.

Why don't the makers of Tidy Bowl toiler cleaner get in on the action? Heck, the Tidy Bowl Man could be the Cubs' new mascot.

chisoxfan83
12-13-2007, 07:38 AM
Why couldn't Wrigley Field be on property where mayor daleys wife had a picture in her mind of a park etc? Remember the last image she had of meigs field and we all know what happened after that.:angry:

johnr1note
12-13-2007, 08:15 AM

The negative thoughts are directed towards Cubs fans, who have complained long and hard that Illinois tax payers rescued the White Sox from a fate worse than contraction by keeping them from moving to Tampa. Its one of the standard fall back rants Cubs fans have, along with "We draw more fans," is "At least our team isn't a welfare recipient." Well, that argument goes away if this goes through.

A side issue is the whole concept of separating Wrigley Field out of the Cubs sale in the first place. The reason the Cubs are the media juggernaut that they are was the decision in the 80s to focus the marketing efforts on Wrigley Field and Harry Carry. Aren't the Cubs without Wrigley Field worth a lot less? Are they even worth owning if you can't guarantee Wrigley Field occupancy? Plus, isn't forcing the Cubs to pay rent going to strap the team in the future? I'm not an accountant, but someone tried to explain to me that the new owner will have all kinds of tax problems with the rental payments, as in not being able to amortize or depreciate them, making the upkeep and rent on Wrigley Field an expensive albatross that would affect the ability of the team to compete long term. Can anyone verify or explain that?

The Dude
12-13-2007, 08:19 AM
Oh that is great.

Yeah, that sure would be great! I 'd look forward to sitting in my seat while smoke blows in my face non stop. :rolleyes:

PalehosePlanet
12-13-2007, 10:42 AM

How about Febreze Field, with Sheffiled ave, between Addison and Waveland, being renamed Lysol Lane?

Seriously though, I'm guessing that alot of potential buyers back out if Wrigley is not included in the deal. I wonder just how much the overall value of the franchise will fall.

doublem23
12-13-2007, 10:47 AM
Why couldn't Wrigley Field be on property where mayor daleys wife had a picture in her mind of a park etc? Remember the last image she had of meigs field and we all know what happened after that.:angry:

Haven't been to Northerly Island yet, have you?

It's much better this way. Nothing honors Daniel Burnham's dream of a public lakefront quite like a small airport used exclusively for private jets, eh? :rolleyes:

Chipol
12-13-2007, 06:26 PM
JR should buy it and bull doze it.

DumpJerry
12-13-2007, 06:45 PM
JR should buy it and bull doze it.
He can use the Torii Hunter money.

CLR01
12-13-2007, 07:09 PM
He can use the Torii Hunter money.

Lets just hope KW doesn't get out bid. We need to get him motivated for this.

DumpJerry
12-13-2007, 07:13 PM
Lets just hope KW doesn't get out bid. We need to get him motivated for this.
I can see Steinbrenner swooping in at the last minute and offer too much money that JR cannot match. If that happens, Kenny most definately has to go as this would seal the fate of the White Sox until the 2045 season.

SoxFan64
12-13-2007, 10:36 PM

Don't forget Grainger (http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/wwg/start.shtml): "When you need to get things done call on Grainger (http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/categories/janitorial-and-painting/restroom-equipment/toilet-paper-dispensers)."

Someone will need to clean things up. :D:

TheOldRoman
12-13-2007, 11:29 PM

HUGE difference. The state built a brand new, state of the art (at the time) ballpark for the Sox. Here, they would be paying top dollar for a nearly 100 year old park that will require insane yearly costs for upkeep, along with several hundred million dollars in renovations if it is going to last more than five years. It isn't like they are spending the money on a new park. And they would likely have to pay much more than they would to build the Cubs a new park.

Railsplitter
12-14-2007, 07:30 AM

The Cubs have been American Substandard for nearly a century.

I get a sneaking suspicion no matter what company gets the highest bid, the rights will go to a certain chewing gum company.

Hitmen77
12-14-2007, 07:46 AM
Daley speaks out against this proposal:

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/local/transportation/chi-daley-wrigley_webdec14,0,1379073.story?coll=chi_tab01_la yout

"We can't even get any money for the CTA and they are worried about the Cubs? They have made money every year. They are very profitable. And some way we are supposed to bail them out. I don't think they are leaving. They just increased the price of tickets."

slavko
12-14-2007, 11:24 AM
Odds of this happening are 1,000,000-1. Odds that this is a charade to drive the price up with the help of Gov. Needsahaircut are 1-1,000,000.