PDA

View Full Version : Nice Support....


THE_HOOTER
04-18-2002, 10:30 AM
from our fans last night.

A 75 degree night and we can't get 20,000 people to the park against our #1 rival with our best pitcher going?

One word-- pathetic!

Anyway, I went to both games and they were both great!

Go Sox.

Get your asses to the park.

Nellsin
04-18-2002, 10:46 AM
A 75 degree night in Chicago on April 17 is extremely unusual - 25 to 30 degrees above normal. Many people can't make last-minute plans to come to the park when the weather is unexpectedly great in the early season. They have other commitments, it's a school night for the kids, etc. I hate to see posts bashing them for not having lives where they can drop everything on short notice to "show support." It just feeds the ridiculous media and Flubs fan focus on our attendance.

Kilroy
04-18-2002, 10:55 AM
Originally posted by THE_HOOTER
from our fans last night.

A 75 degree night and we can't get 20,000 people to the park against our #1 rival with our best pitcher going?

One word-- pathetic!

Anyway, I went to both games and they were both great!

Go Sox.

Get your asses to the park.

Why don't you purchase ad space on a billboard alongside the Dan Ryan or the Kennedy and put this message up there? There's no reason to bitch about attendance in a place where every single one of us would step over our own mothers to go to a Sox game. You're preachin to the choir!

Better yet, stop worrying about attendance and enjoy the easy access. More people wouldn't have made last night's game any better.

MattSharp
04-18-2002, 11:04 AM
Originally posted by Kilroy
There's no reason to bitch about attendance in a place where every single one of us would step over our own mothers to go to a Sox game. You're preachin to the choir!


Very well put.

I totally agree that more people should show up. I had an argument with a Cubs fan the other day about Wrigley always selling out. Basically I told him its misleading. Wrigley holds about 10,000 less people than Comiskey. On top of that Wrigley is on the yuppie North Side where people can afford to throw 50 bucks at a ballgame at will. The type of fans who are Sox fans don't have that ablility.

Now don't take this wrong, I don't think it means Cubs fans are better than us, nor higher class. Just lucky I guess.

Kilroy
04-18-2002, 11:13 AM
Originally posted by MattSharp
On top of that Wrigley is on the yuppie North Side where people can afford to throw 50 bucks at a ballgame at will. The type of fans who are Sox fans don't have that ablility.

It's not even that. A very large portion of the Wrigley goers are just including Wrigley in their PUB CRAWL. The game is incidental, and often ignored.

Nellie_Fox
04-18-2002, 11:16 AM
Originally posted by MattSharp
I had an argument with a Cubs fan the other day about Wrigley always selling out. Basically I told him its misleading. Wrigley holds about 10,000 less people than Comiskey. On top of that Wrigley is on the yuppie North Side where people can afford to throw 50 bucks at a ballgame at will. The type of fans who are Sox fans don't have that ablility.
An even bigger part of the equation is that Wrigley Field is a tourist destination. Here in Minnesota, I constantly hear people who are travelling to Chicago say that they want to "see Wrigley Field" while they're there. They don't say they want to "see the Cubs."

Procol Harum
04-18-2002, 11:39 AM
Originally posted by Nellsin
A 75 degree night in Chicago on April 17 is extremely unusual - 25 to 30 degrees above normal. Many people can't make last-minute plans to come to the park when the weather is unexpectedly great in the early season. They have other commitments, it's a school night for the kids, etc. I hate to see posts bashing them for not having lives where they can drop everything on short notice to "show support."

Thou preachest truth, Nellsin. Few paying Sox fans live within close proximity of Comiskey, and we lack the hordes of singles and childless couples who live within 3-5 miles of Wrigley. The fact is that until school lets out, most Sox fans are unable to take advantage of great weather and a big series.

Most folks with limited opportunities for attendance aren't going to PLAN on attending a mid-week nightgame in mid-April in Chicago. And when--in the rare instance--the weather does pan out, it's not easy to spur-of-the-moment just hop in the car and putt on over to the Sox game. I know that everytime I go to Comiskey (I live in west-central DuPage) it's a stinkin' expedition and a 7-8 hour time commitment (and by the way, the "improvements" to the Hillside Strangler are way overrated)--not to mention lotsa bucks. Some of our Sox brethren need to lighten up on their homies on this score.

THE_HOOTER
04-18-2002, 11:39 AM
Why are we talking about Wrigley? I could care less about The Cubs, and we all know it's a tourist attraction so comparing them to the White Sox doesn't work.

I was not pointing fingers at anyone on this board- my point is when your #1 rival is in town on a beautiful night and only 15,000 or so fans show up that is pathetic!

I just wish the city supported the team A LOT more. Outside of the diehards on this board and others who frequent games, we have little if any support.

Eventually if this continues we will be in trouble. I hope nobody took my comments personally- I'm talking about the fans who never show except on opening day and the playoffs.

Kilroy
04-18-2002, 12:03 PM
Originally posted by THE_HOOTER
...I hope nobody took my comments personally- I'm talking about the fans who never show except on opening day and the playoffs...

We know, and we didn't. But you won't find too many of those people here, which is what I really wanted to point out.

Iwritecode
04-18-2002, 12:06 PM
Originally posted by THE_HOOTER
Why are we talking about Wrigley? I could care less about The Cubs, and we all know it's a tourist attraction so comparing them to the White Sox doesn't work.

I was not pointing fingers at anyone on this board- my point is when your #1 rival is in town on a beautiful night and only 15,000 or so fans show up that is pathetic!

I just wish the city supported the team A LOT more. Outside of the diehards on this board and others who frequent games, we have little if any support.

Eventually if this continues we will be in trouble. I hope nobody took my comments personally- I'm talking about the fans who never show except on opening day and the playoffs.

We talk about Wrigley and the sCrUBS because they are the single biggest reason there aren't more Sox fans in Chicago. All the singles and childless couples with all that disposable income would rather go to the worlds largest beer garden and consider themselves Cub fans rather than trek 8 miles south to watch a real baseball game. A lot of Cub "fans" are single and childless and have money to spend. Most Sox fans are the typical blue collar 9 to 5er married with 2.3 kids, a minivan, morgage payment and a family dog. Now which of these would be more likely to catch a Wednesday night game on the spur of the moment? Just think for a moment if all those northsiders didn't have Wrigley to flock to? Where do you think they would go?

I think my sig sums it up well also...

cheeses_h_rice
04-18-2002, 12:12 PM
Originally posted by Iwritecode


We talk about Wrigley and the sCrUBS because they are the single biggest reason there aren't more Sox fans in Chicago. All the singles and childless couples with all that disposable income would rather go to the worlds largest beer garden and consider themselves Cub fans rather than trek 8 miles south to watch a real baseball game. A lot of Cub "fans" are single and childless and have money to spend. Most Sox fans are the typical blue collar 9 to 5er married with 2.3 kids, a minivan, morgage payment and a family dog. Now which of these would be more likely to catch a Wednesday night game on the spur of the moment? Just think for a moment if all those northsiders didn't have Wrigley to flock to? Where do you think they would go?

I think my sig sums it up well also...

I still don't think they'd "flock" to Comiskey.

Let's put it this way: Wrigley is a drunken stumble away from their 3-flat. Surrounding Wrigley, you have Hi-Tops, Slugger's, Yak-zees, Bernie's, the Cubby Bear, and any number of other watering holes. It's a big generic Midwestern state college alum's wet dream come true.

Comiskey? Driving 8 miles south into that "bad neighborhood"? Ain't gonna happen.

Iwritecode
04-18-2002, 12:16 PM
Originally posted by cheeses_h_rice
I still don't think they'd "flock" to Comiskey.

Let's put it this way: Wrigley is a drunken stumble away from their 3-flat. Surrounding Wrigley, you have Hi-Tops, Slugger's, Yak-zees, Bernie's, the Cubby Bear, and any number of other watering holes. It's a big generic Midwestern state college alum's wet dream come true.

Comiskey? Driving 8 miles south into that "bad neighborhood"? Ain't gonna happen.

Well, of the 40,000 that show up there everyday at least 10 -15 thousand have to be there to watch the game right? I think those would be the ones that would come to Comiskey. That would put the Sox attendance at 35- 40 thousand a game. Not too bad.

Paulwny
04-18-2002, 12:23 PM
My chiropractor attended grad school around Chi. He's not a baseball fan but told me he frequented Wrigley for the party atmosphere, he never went to Comiskey.
I suspect this is true of most of the out of town students in and around Chi.

cheeses_h_rice
04-18-2002, 12:33 PM
Originally posted by Iwritecode


Well, of the 40,000 that show up there everyday at least 10 -15 thousand have to be there to watch the game right? I think those would be the ones that would come to Comiskey. That would put the Sox attendance at 35- 40 thousand a game. Not too bad.

If there were just the Sox in Chicago, sure, maybe you'd see 35K a game. I think most Flubbie games probably draw 10-15,000 real baseball fans who would go to the trouble of driving to the South Side if that was their only option for pro baseball.

No-Neck
04-18-2002, 12:35 PM
Thumbs up to Nellsin, THE HOOTER should heed his wisdom.

As for me, I'm going to enjoy the game.

Tomorrow is guaranteed to no one!

moochpuppy
04-18-2002, 01:09 PM
Sox attendance the last three years after 6 games:

2000 avg: 15,596
2001 avg: 21,751
2002 avg: 23,190

That's a 67% increase in just two seasons. I bet no other team in baseball can claim that.

cheeses_h_rice
04-18-2002, 01:13 PM
Originally posted by moochpuppy
Sox attendance the last three years after 6 games:

2000 avg: 15,596
2001 avg: 21,751
2002 avg: 23,190

That's a 67% increase in just two seasons. I bet no other team in baseball can claim that.

But you'd have to factor in:

1. The weather -- I'm sure it wasn't this nice in '00 or '01.

2. Who the Sox played.

hold2dibber
04-18-2002, 01:25 PM
The Sox made a HUGE mistake when they built the new Comiskey in the shadow of the old. The either should have built in somewhere in the Southwest burbs or just off of the South Loop. In the first alternative, they would have been much closer to their fan base, and a spur of the moment trip to the ball park would have been much easier, even for those with 2.3 kids and a minivan (like me). In the second alternative, they would have been much better able to draw from the zillion of people who work down town every day - those people would be much more likely to attend a ball game on a beautiful night on the spur of the moment, if they could see the ball park out of their office window and just walk a few blocks to get there.

hold2dibber
04-18-2002, 01:27 PM
The Sox made a HUGE mistake when they built the new Comiskey in the shadow of the old. They either should have built it somewhere in the Southwest burbs or just off of the South Loop. In the first alternative, they would have been much closer to their fan base, and a spur of the moment trip to the ball park would have been much easier, even for those with 2.3 kids and a minivan (like me). In the second alternative, they would have been much better able to draw from the zillion of people who work down town every day - those people would be much more likely to attend a ball game on a beautiful night on the spur of the moment, if they could see the ball park out of their office window and could avail themselves of the fine watering holes in the South loop before and after the game, without having to take the red line into a "bad neighborhood".

MattSharp
04-18-2002, 01:46 PM
Personally I don't mind makig a trip to the ballpark at will. My dad and I did it a few times last year. I would say more often than not, its are we willing to go spend 50 bucks or more on any given night. We live about 20-25 minutes from the park and don't mind the ride at all.

Personally I still think it comes down to money for than location.....

voodoochile
04-18-2002, 01:52 PM
Originally posted by Iwritecode


Well, of the 40,000 that show up there everyday at least 10 -15 thousand have to be there to watch the game right? I think those would be the ones that would come to Comiskey. That would put the Sox attendance at 35- 40 thousand a game. Not too bad.

Unfortunately those 10-15K who want to watch the ball game are also the true flubbie fans who wouldn't be caught dead in Comiskey unless their boys in blue were playing the Sox.

Yes, there are actually a few real flubbie fans out there...

Dadawg_77
04-18-2002, 01:59 PM
I guess I am one of the more Yuppie people on this board, Young=yes,Urban=Lived in the city my whole life, Professional=Well I have a white colar job.
I lived on the north side about 4.6 miles directly east of Wrigley's Right Field and I have been a Sox fan my entire life. I think I am one big walking contradiction to the norm. Sorry for that tagent. But Tues crowd should of been the disapointing one, a warm night, 1/2 night and only draw in the mid 20's (I think, too many fights to see it). But I made the choice to attend my fourth Sox game on Tues on the spur of the momment, I guess it helps that I am single without house, car payments, and I work Downtown. So the park is just a 1/2 hour el ride away from home. Now if I had kids and wife back at the house, I probally wouldn't of gone to the game.

MarqSox
04-18-2002, 02:00 PM
Originally posted by hold2dibber
The Sox made a HUGE mistake when they built the new Comiskey in the shadow of the old. They either should have built it somewhere in the Southwest burbs or just off of the South Loop. In the first alternative, they would have been much closer to their fan base, and a spur of the moment trip to the ball park would have been much easier, even for those with 2.3 kids and a minivan (like me). In the second alternative, they would have been much better able to draw from the zillion of people who work down town every day - those people would be much more likely to attend a ball game on a beautiful night on the spur of the moment, if they could see the ball park out of their office window and could avail themselves of the fine watering holes in the South loop before and after the game, without having to take the red line into a "bad neighborhood".

The Sox did try to build New Comiskey in Addison. They had the spot all picked out and everything, but the Addison voters voted it down by something like 8 votes in a referendum. If just a dozen more Addison Sox fans had turned out that day, our situation would be so much different...

voodoochile
04-18-2002, 02:01 PM
Originally posted by Dadawg_77
I guess I am one of the more Yuppie people on this board, Young=yes,Urban=Lived in the city my whole life, Professional=Well I have a white colar job.
I lived on the north side about 4.6 miles directly east of Wrigley's Right Field and I have been a Sox fan my entire life. I think I am one big walking contradiction to the norm. Sorry for that tagent. But Tues crowd should of been the disapointing one, a warm night, 1/2 night and only draw in the mid 20's (I think, too many fights to see it). But I made the choice to attend my fourth Sox game on Tues on the spur of the momment, I guess it helps that I am single without house, car payments, and I work Downtown. So the park is just a 1/2 hour el ride away from home. Now if I had kids and wife back at the house, I probally wouldn't of gone to the game.

Not to be picky, but 4.6 miles east of Wrigley's RF is about 3.6 miles out into Lake Michigan...

Dadawg_77
04-18-2002, 02:03 PM
Originally posted by voodoochile


Not to be picky, but 4.6 miles east of Wrigley's RF is about 3.6 miles out into Lake Michigan...

True, so would Wrigley RF is 4.6 miles east of me or I am 4.6 miles west of Wrigley RF work?

No-Neck
04-18-2002, 02:03 PM
MattSharp, that is a very good point, but I have a lot of kids, so it's not a question of whether I'm willing or not to spend the money. I can't afford the prices for more than just myself.

Unless it's a discount night or I get the tickets from somebody at work, I can't afford to go and take a couple of the kids.

But on Kid's day, I make it a point to go. The kids running aroung the bases after the game is excellent. They never did that at the old park when I was growing up in the '60s.

A lot of Sox fans have continually made the point of our franchise being in dire straits because of the poor attendence.

I have been listening to the doomsayers harping on the demise of the Sox, Nuclear war, the demise of Social Security, The Red Threat, blah, blah blah for the last 40+ years... It's a wonder these numb-nuts are brave enough to get out of bed in the morning.

Go to Comiskey and get into the game, the heck with everyone else. The Flubs and their Media lapdog cheerleaders in this City are going to denigrate us because of they are miserable at their pathetic Little League Team play in their little ****ty bang box. I laugh at their pathetic existence in their fantasyland.

A positive aspect of the Sox's mediocre attendence is that you can still go and see qame without paying a week's grocerybill. And you don't have to wait 20 minutes and miss 2 innings to deposit your beer intake.

Max Power
04-18-2002, 02:04 PM
The Sox made a HUGE mistake when they built the new Comiskey in the shadow of the old. The either should have built in somewhere in the Southwest burbs or just off of the South Loop.

I believe that both of those options were looked into, to some degree, when the plans for New Comisky were being put together. Didn't voters in Addison reject a proposal to build a ballpark there? This is just off the top of my head, so I could be wrong.
Either way, it's not like Comisky Park is the only sports venue that is in a questionable area. Ex. Yankee Stadium, LA Coliseum, and the United Center.
In conclusion, I don't care if there's 40,000 or 10,000 as long as they are good baseball fans and cheering for the White Sox. I've been to many games at Comisky where the 10,000 people were louder and more into the game than any sellout at Wrigley.


By the way, this is my first post. I've finally found a place that proves that I'm not alone in the baseball fan spectrum. Hi everyone!

Dadawg_77
04-18-2002, 02:06 PM
Welcome Max, I see you having been reading Hair Dyers.

Iwritecode
04-18-2002, 02:07 PM
Originally posted by voodoochile
Unfortunately those 10-15K who want to watch the ball game are also the true flubbie fans who wouldn't be caught dead in Comiskey unless their boys in blue were playing the Sox.

Yes, there are actually a few real flubbie fans out there...

Yea, but I was saying that assuming the Cubs never existed. If this had been a one-team city for the past 100 years, attendance would not be the issue it is today.

Also, it's funny you mention this because my best friend is a born and bred Cub fan but moved to Las Vegas last year. He is coming back for a week in about a month and wants to see a game in Chicago. He doesn't really care if it the Sox or Cubs. How rare is that? Anyway, we hope to catch one of the games against the Spankees. That way we can be united in our hatred of the opposing team at least. :smile:

voodoochile
04-18-2002, 02:09 PM
Originally posted by Dadawg_77


True, so would Wrigley RF is 4.6 miles east of me or I am 4.6 miles west of Wrigley RF work?

Yep, that makes sense...

voodoochile
04-18-2002, 02:11 PM
Originally posted by Dadawg_77
Welcome Max, I see you having been reading Hair Dyers.

Actualy it is a Simpson's reference... He was married to Hootie McBoob who also posts here...

:D:

RedPinStripes
04-18-2002, 02:28 PM
Originally posted by voodoochile


Not to be picky, but 4.6 miles east of Wrigley's RF is about 3.6 miles out into Lake Michigan...

:sopranos
"He sleeps with the fishes"


:)

PaleHoseGeorge
04-18-2002, 02:29 PM
Originally posted by Max Power
I believe that both of those options were looked into, to some degree, when the plans for New Comisky were being put together. Didn't voters in Addison reject a proposal to build a ballpark there? This is just off the top of my head, so I could be wrong.

There was a non-binding referendum in Addison in 1986 inviting the Sox into their community. It failed approval by a narrow margin. Residents were worried about the "wrong element" and the local politicians provided no leadership. In Lindberg's book "Stealing First in a Two Team Town". Reinsdorf intimates private discussions with key suburban leaders, clearly suggesting racism was at the heart of the issue. Though they don't name any politicians responsible for this disgraceful behavior, I think it's safe to say Pate Philip is no Sox Fan.

Reinsdorf specifically cites that vote as the reason the Sox started shopping for a stadium deal outside metro Chicago. That's when St. Petersburg took the lead in nearly snagging our Sox.

Learn more from WSI here. (http://whitesoxinteractive.com/History&Glory/SaveOurSox.htm)


By the way, this is my first post. I've finally found a place that proves that I'm not alone in the baseball fan spectrum. Hi everyone!

Welcome to WSI, Max. You won't find a more intelligent community of Sox Fans anywhere on the internet--or anywhere on sports talk radio, either!

:gulp:

Randar68
04-18-2002, 02:41 PM
Originally posted by THE_HOOTER
Why are we talking about Wrigley? I could care less about The Cubs, and we all know it's a tourist attraction so comparing them to the White Sox doesn't work.

I was not pointing fingers at anyone on this board- my point is when your #1 rival is in town on a beautiful night and only 15,000 or so fans show up that is pathetic!

I just wish the city supported the team A LOT more. Outside of the diehards on this board and others who frequent games, we have little if any support.

Eventually if this continues we will be in trouble. I hope nobody took my comments personally- I'm talking about the fans who never show except on opening day and the playoffs.

For the love of GOD! The horse is dead. You're beating the same horse you beat all last year with the same results.

We all go to games when it's possible, so quit yer bitchin' at us and save it for someone else...

moochpuppy
04-18-2002, 03:41 PM
I'm sorry but this argument has always pissed me off. Just because you may be able to take off on a whim and go see a game that doesn't mean every other Sox fan can do the same. I lucky to say that money was no problem with me but location was.

When I still lived in Illinois I lived in Crystal Lake and worked in Libertyville, neither one is a hop, skip and jump from 35th and Shields, especially on a week night.

I remember one Monday night I had Bears tickets. I left work at 4:30pm for a 8:00pm game. The traffic was so freakin' bad on I90 that I was only at the beginning of the Kennedy and Cumberland by 7:45 and traffic was still crawling. At this point I was so frustrated that I had to turn around, hence threw away $120 in tickets.

I had no problem on the weekends but like someone else said, you have to devote about 7-8 hours for a 2 1/2 to 3 hour game. What I love about here in Minnesota I can be out of the Dome or Target Center, into my car, on the highway and into my driveway in 15-20 minutes and I don't live in the city. If I'm coming from the Xcel Energy Center in St. Paul add only an additional 10 minutes. It's so easy, I'm actually thinking about buying a season ticket package for the Twins....something I could never think of doing for my beloved Sox.

Procol Harum
04-18-2002, 03:45 PM
Originally posted by PaleHoseGeorge
There was a non-binding referendum in Addison in 1986 inviting the Sox into their community. It failed approval by a narrow margin. Residents were worried about the "wrong element" and the local politicians provided no leadership. In Lindberg's book "Stealing First in a Two Team Town". Reinsdorf intimates private discussions with key suburban leaders, clearly suggesting racism was at the heart of the issue. Though they don't name any politicians responsible for this disgraceful behavior, I think it's safe to say Pate Philip is no Sox Fan.

Reinsdorf specifically cites that vote as the reason the Sox started shopping for a stadium deal outside metro Chicago. That's when St. Petersburg took the lead in nearly snagging our Sox.


The failure of the Addison gambit was a real disaster for all Sox fans. That location would have meant such easier access for the bulk of us. It sure would've been sweet for moi as that would've meant we could casually decide to go to a Sox game when either mood, attraction, or weather struck our fancy (I refer back to the poster who mentioned he and his Dad enjoyed their 20-25 minute drive to Comiskey--I'll tell ya I don't enjoy my 90-minute drive going or my 2-hour + parking lot jam and drive coming home!).

I haven't read Lindberg's book (I'd like to), but I wonder if a racial thing is being read into the "wrong element"? Anybody who has ever attended Sox games should be struck by the fact that the crowd (adjacent to large black districts of the city) is overwhelmingly--in fact, stunningly-- white. Could the "wrong element" have referred to the lingering image of blue collar Sox fandom from the Veeck beer garden days and Disco Demolition?
At any rate, I almost cry every time I drive past the proposed Sox site in Addison--it and the surrounding area now hosts an industrial park, a cineplex, and a Dave & Buster's. How I would love to see our beloved Ball Mall rising from the prairie there...

Iwritecode
04-18-2002, 03:50 PM
Originally posted by moochpuppy
I'm sorry but this argument has always pissed me off. Just because you may be able to take off on a whim and go see a game that doesn't mean every other Sox fan can do the same. I lucky to say that money was no problem with me but location was.

When I still lived in Illinois I lived in Crystal Lake and worked in Libertyville, neither one is a hop, skip and jump from 35th and Shields, especially on a week night.

I remember one Monday night I had Bears tickets. I left work at 4:30pm for a 8:00pm game. The traffic was so freakin' bad on I90 that I was only at the beginning of the Kennedy and Cumberland by 7:45 and traffic was still crawling. At this point I was so frustrated that I had to turn around, hence threw away $120 in tickets.

I had no problem on the weekends but like someone else said, you have to devote about 7-8 hours for a 2 1/2 to 3 hour game. What I love about here in Minnesota I can be out of the Dome or Target Center, into my car, on the highway and into my driveway in 15-20 minutes and I don't live in the city. If I'm coming from the Xcel Energy Center in St. Paul add only an additional 10 minutes. It's so easy, I'm actually thinking about buying a season ticket package for the Twins....something I could never think of doing for my beloved Sox.

You would have the same problem with Wrigley too. At least I have. I find it actually takes me longer to get to Wrigley and find a place to park than it does Comiskey.

moochpuppy
04-18-2002, 03:51 PM
Anyone else notice that the title of this thread "Nice Support" would better fit the boobie thread? :smile:

Procol Harum
04-18-2002, 03:55 PM
Originally posted by moochpuppy
When I still lived in Illinois I lived in Crystal Lake and worked in Libertyville, neither one is a hop, skip and jump from 35th and Shields, especially on a week night.

What I love about here in Minnesota I can be out of the Dome or Target Center, into my car, on the highway and into my driveway in 15-20 minutes and I don't live in the city. If I'm coming from the Xcel Energy Center in St. Paul add only an additional 10 minutes.

Preach it! As a former NW Lake County guy back in the 70s, going to a Sox game was indeed a serious commitment!

Re: access to the Twinkie Dome and other Twin City attractions--Sox fans can get something of the same flavor in wandering up to Miller Park and old County Stadium (subtracting the trek up from Chicagoland, of course). Compared to Comiskey, one relatively glides into and out of Miller. Not to mention ya only pay $6 bucks to park!

moochpuppy
04-18-2002, 03:55 PM
Originally posted by Iwritecode


You would have the same problem with Wrigley too. At least I have. I find it actually takes me longer to get to Wrigley and find a place to park than it does Comiskey.

Believe me, I have. I got to the point where I wouldn't even take my car if I was going to Wrigley. I hated trying to get to any sport venue in the city.

I think I've been to more professional sporting events in my 4 years in Minnesota then I have in 27 years in Illinois.

Dadawg_77
04-18-2002, 04:08 PM
Originally posted by voodoochile


Actualy it is a Simpson's reference... He was married to Hootie McBoob who also posts here...

:D:

So was mine, in that episode someone aks Homer where he got that name, he replies from a side of a hair dryer.

voodoochile
04-18-2002, 04:11 PM
Originally posted by Dadawg_77


So was mine, in that episode someone aks Homer where he got that name, he replies from a side of a hair dryer.

I did not know that... :D:

Procol Harum
04-18-2002, 04:11 PM
Originally posted by Iwritecode

You would have the same problem with Wrigley too. At least I have. I find it actually takes me longer to get to Wrigley and find a place to park than it does Comiskey.

Yep. Anybody who takes their car to Wrigley quickly learns NOT to take their car to Wrigley. Fortunately, that's not a real big concern for us'n on this here board...

Dadawg_77
04-18-2002, 04:16 PM
Question, I from the North Side to 35th Shields can be a very fun drive sometimes, is there any quick unknown routes to take? Canal (expect on Sundays) and State are usally wide open and quick if the Ryan is backed up. I really don't know the burbs at all, but maybe if someone knows of quick route it could help a fellow Sox fan.

Moses_Scurry
04-18-2002, 05:22 PM
I've been to all the home games but one so far and IMO, saying the neighborhood is bad is not a valid excuse at all. I actually rode my bike from Irving Park & Ashland down there and back for Saturday's Oriole game. The neighborhood is only bad east of the park. I've parked twice along 35th about 7 blocks west of the park in order to avoid the $12 parking fee (what can I say, I'm cheap!) and the neighborhood along there is fine. I wouldn't mind living there at all!

PaleHoseGeorge
04-18-2002, 05:42 PM
Originally posted by Procol Harum
....I haven't read Lindberg's book (I'd like to), but I wonder if a racial thing is being read into the "wrong element"? Anybody who has ever attended Sox games should be struck by the fact that the crowd (adjacent to large black districts of the city) is overwhelmingly--in fact, stunningly-- white. Could the "wrong element" have referred to the lingering image of blue collar Sox fandom from the Veeck beer garden days and Disco Demolition?

I found the exact quote from the book. "Opposition to Addison was predicated on several things," Reinsdorf related. "One was racial. There was a fear that our being there was going to bring blacks into DuPage and that was expressed to me by a prominent politician. The fact of the matter is, he should not have had that concern. But I wasn't about to convince him he shouldn't be a bigot. That wasn't my goal."
--Richard Lindberg, Stealing First in a Two-Team Town (1994).

Also in the book, the exact vote on the non-binding Addison referendum failed by 43 votes (3744 for, 3787 against). The date was November 4, 1986. Two months later Reinsdorf put the 140 acre site (Swift & Lake Street) on the sale block. Asking price: $15 million.

FarmerAndy
04-18-2002, 06:37 PM
Originally posted by MattSharp


. I had an argument with a Cubs fan the other day about Wrigley always selling out. .

That is the biggest myth in itself. People are always talking about the "fact" that Wrigley always sells out. This is rubbush.

Besides the 30 or so games that I go to at Comiskey each year, I try to go to 2 or 3 games at Wrigley each year. There are two reasons for this. For one, it gives me a chance to see some some National League teams that I can't see at Comiskey. For example, I'm gonna try to catch a game during the Giants series next week, so I can watch Barry Bonds. The second reason is simple, the wisdom of knowing your enemy. If I'm going to argue with somebody about why I think Comiskey is better than Wrigley, I should at least go to Wrigley every once in a great while, that way I know what I'm talking about.

Anyway, my point is that I've never had an advanced ticket before going to Wrigley, but I've never had a problem getting in. Now I know Wrigley draws more than Comiskey each year, and I know they sell out alot of weekend games, but when Cub fans talk about how the Cubs sell out every game, it's a bunch of horse ****. THEY DON'T SELL OUT EVERY GAME AND IT"S NOT THAT HARD TO GET A TICKET. Cub fans, as you all know, are extremely delusional sometimes.

Max Power
04-18-2002, 06:46 PM
The Sox are off the their best start since '94 and all people are talking about is poor attendance. Here's my two cents: I go to as many games I can and I cheer as loud as I can when I'm there. I'm only one man and that's all I can do. Can I assume everyone else on this forum feels similarly?
I am disappointed by the number of empty seats in Comiskey, but that's out of my hands so why worry too much about it? If people want to waste their money on games at Wrigley, that's their problem. I wear my Sox hat around campus and am proud to be a Sox fan and I don't care what other team's fans think of me, think of the Sox, or think of Comiskey Park. OK, end of rant.


To voodoochile and Dadawg_77 :
You are both correct on The Simpsons references.


Peace

Max Power
04-18-2002, 06:52 PM
Now I know Wrigley draws more than Comiskey each year, and I know they sell out alot of weekend games, but when Cub fans talk about how the Cubs sell out every game, it's a bunch of horse ****.


That is so true. I worked at a vendor there for the last three summers- and maybe this coming one. They sell out most every weekend game from June to August, but that's about it. Weekday games? No problem, unless vs. StL or the Sox. The upper deck- where I usually worked- was usually half full for weekday games vs. other teams. And most of those people were kids in camps. Just cause the bleachers sell out every game doesn't mean the whole park does.

Shammy Soso
04-18-2002, 08:13 PM
If the Sox keep there winning ways, the bandwagon jumpers should be ariving at Comisky come July.

Procol Harum
04-19-2002, 12:17 AM
Originally posted by PaleHoseGeorge


I found the exact quote from the book. "Opposition to Addison was predicated on several things," Reinsdorf related. "One was racial. There was a fear that our being there was going to bring blacks into DuPage and that was expressed to me by a prominent politician. The fact of the matter is, he should not have had that concern. But I wasn't about to convince him he shouldn't be a bigot. That wasn't my goal."
--Richard Lindberg, Stealing First in a Two-Team Town (1994).


That's pretty stinkin' disgustin'. :angry:

Mathew
04-19-2002, 03:08 AM
Originally posted by cheeses_h_rice


If there were just the Sox in Chicago, sure, maybe you'd see 35K a game. I think most Flubbie games probably draw 10-15,000 real baseball fans who would go to the trouble of driving to the South Side if that was their only option for pro baseball.

Sports fans are sports fans(espcially if affordability isn't an issue. The real Fans would watch either team, whichever existed. However, many of those same fans would watch Basketball, Hockey et al.