PDA

View Full Version : Are all players money whores?

Chicken Dinner
12-12-2007, 09:58 PM
Just seems like every player that was a free agent doesn't care about anything but the coin. I think baseball has taken a turn that might not be a good thing. Big market spending is out of control and small markets trying to keep up. Players love it but is it really good for the game? It can't last or will baseball implode? Somethings wrong here. Agree or disagree?:?:

The Thomenator
12-12-2007, 10:03 PM
Just seems like every player that was a free agent doesn't care about anything but the coin. I think baseball has taken a turn that might not be a good thing. Big market spending is out of control and small markets trying to keep up. Players love it but is it really good for the game? It can't last or will baseball implode? Somethings wrong here. Agree or disagree?:?:

There is the money there to spend. Baseball as a whole is making a killing. It's the organizations that choose to spend it that are making other organizations look like penny pinchers rather than the other way around. It's the way things work. Will Kenny see this and change his ways is the real question.

Chicken Dinner
12-12-2007, 10:06 PM
But is it good for the game? This is America's past time we're talking about here. Is it being ruined by greed?

Rockabilly
12-12-2007, 10:08 PM
I know one player who isn't a money whore and he is also happens to be my fav baseball player Mark Buehrle

DumpJerry
12-12-2007, 10:09 PM
Unlike being a doctor, lawyer, etc., baseball players go into the game knowing the gravy train will end somewhere between the ages of 35-40.

The players are the fuel that gives the owners their big bucks, the players deserve whatever they can get.

WhiteSox5187
12-12-2007, 10:10 PM
But is it good for the game? This is America's past time we're talking about here. Is it being ruined by greed?
Please, greed and baseball go hand in hand. Had it not been for Comiskey's greed 1919 might never have happened.

The fact of the matter is that baseball has never made as much money as it is making now, whether or not teams chose to spend that is open to debate. Owners tried to put a salary floor in the last CBA but the union passed because it was feared that if you have a floor you must have a ceiling.

Is it bad for the game? Well, yes and no. Yes because when you have teams like the Yankees and the Red Sox that can just buy up every FA out there, it gets old, but then again look what revenue sharing has done for the NL!! However nothing will change as long as baseball keeps making money. Players are almost always going to go where the money is and as long as owners and GMs keep handing out ridiculous contracts you'll see this sort of off season continue.

Oblong
12-12-2007, 10:18 PM
There's been whining about salaries since the early 20th century.

Baseball is entertainment. It made $6 billion last year. The players are worth whatever they can get. It's a business on both sides.

thomas35forever
12-12-2007, 10:20 PM
There's been whining about salaries since the early 20th century.

Baseball is entertainment. It made $6 billion last year. The players are worth whatever they can get. It's a business on both sides.
That's true. If it weren't, the Black Sox scandal would have never happened.

Oblong
12-12-2007, 10:26 PM
Remember in Ball Four at the end? Jim Bouton talked about the struggles he and other players had over what was really meager amounts of money. Things like lost rental deposits because they would bring a guy up from the minors, then trade him 2 weeks later, (forcing him to live in 3 places within 2 weeks). Guys back then couldn't afford to have two residences. He bought a case of this new stuff called Gatorade because he thought it'd help the players, he fought with the GM over like a $50 invoice. The owners would lie to the players about being the highest paid player on the team. If the owners hadn't been such hard heads until the mid 70s, the players may have not have gotten Marvin Miller when they did and they wouldn't have developed such a strong union. As recent as the mid 70s, NHL players made more than MLB players on average.

In labor and salary disputes I'm on the players side 100%. When things get bad it's because the owners are a bunch of idiots. You have 30 owners with 7 or 8 agendas going up against a unified union. The owners lie to the public.

Scottiehaswheels
12-12-2007, 10:30 PM
Just an idea but the crazy money players are getting might help lure talented kids back to the game in this country. We all know how obsessed with the mighty dollar Americans are... I can see both sides of the issue however...

Whitesox029
12-12-2007, 10:47 PM
Konerko and Dye have both turned down more money to play in Chicago, so, no.

Parrothead
12-12-2007, 10:59 PM

Most anyone would go where the money is, especially since for most ML'ers the career is not long. With that being said I do believe it is bad for the game since the "small market" teams can't compete. I am looking forward to the day a team or two goes bankrupt or contraction for a few, well at both Florida teams. I know some will get on me for this but paying 40+ dollars per seat to sit in the outfield and $7 for a beer or $4 for hot dog and $22 for parking for a game is too much. Maybe a better form of revenue sharing would help get some sanity back into pricing. Until there is some sanity I will have to go to less games, it is too expensive. I tend to like other things like my house, electricity, gas, ect..... Til then bring on the minors...

itsnotrequired
12-12-2007, 10:59 PM
If I was a player, I'd trade all the money I had for just a little more.

Frontman
12-12-2007, 11:01 PM
:gulp:I know one player who isn't a money whore and he is also happens to be my fav baseball player Mark Buehrle

I'll drink to that. He remained a Sox player because he wanted stability, not major payoff.

:gulp:

rowand33
12-12-2007, 11:03 PM

Of course they are.

It's a JOB to them. It's a sweet job, sure. But it's a job. And with the possibility that an injury could end their career any day, it's in their best interest to take as much money as possible.

CLSoxFan
12-12-2007, 11:07 PM
Most anyone would go where the money is, especially since for most ML'ers the career is not long. With that being said I do believe it is bad for the game since the "small market" teams can't compete. I am looking forward to the day a team or two goes bankrupt or contraction for a few, well at both Florida teams. I know some will get on me for this but paying 40+ dollars per seat to sit in the outfield and $7 for a beer or $4 for hot dog and $22 for parking for a game is too much. Maybe a better form of revenue sharing would help get some sanity back into pricing. Until there is some sanity I will have to go to less games, it is too expensive. I tend to like other things like my house, electricity, gas, ect..... Til then bring on the minors...

Unfortunately, there are plenty of dopes (like me) who pay for the season ticket invoices and the $7 Miller Lites. I don't blame the players for trying for every nickel they can get. They have a brief earning window. What I do blame is a system that says only the 75 players on the Angels, Red Sox, and Yankees can make the big dough. We need a salary cap. I wonder if the overall median (or even mean) salary would rise with a generous cap. I mean, who ever said a cap has to be low? A cap would just level the playing field. Heaven forbid the Royals compete evenly with the Red Sox. What would the Boo-yahs in Bristol think?

Frontman
12-12-2007, 11:18 PM
Of course they are.

It's a JOB to them. It's a sweet job, sure. But it's a job. And with the possibility that an injury could end their career any day, it's in their best interest to take as much money as possible.

Or should the thread title be "Are all workers money whores?" as I know I'd x--fer to a different office in a hearbeat if it meant better money.

AJ Hellraiser
12-12-2007, 11:28 PM
I know one player who isn't a money whore and he is also happens to be my fav baseball player Mark Buehrle

Or my favorite player Paul Konerko, whose contract is looking better and better by the day...

Frontman
12-12-2007, 11:33 PM
Or my favorite player Paul Konerko, whose contract is looking better and better by the day...

For now; until he's moved. :wink:

kaufsox
12-13-2007, 12:39 AM
I don't know about whores, so much. I mean, turning down more money, regardless of your job, is a hard thing to do. Also, when people offer to pay you more money, they are saying they want you. It's hard to turn down someone who is wooing you, at least it is for me.:wink:

ND_Sox_Fan
12-13-2007, 12:59 AM

This is the reason that you have guys signing what are considered to be "outrageous" contracts today. PK's contract looks great today, but he was the highest paid player in franchise history not too long ago.

Hunter signed for $18 million per, but in 5 years, $18 million might be comparable to Uribe's $4.5 million reserve infielder's contract. Guys signing a long-term contract have the guarantee, but they also take the risk that the market moves much higher than what they have locked-in.

As has been stated in this thread, increasing revenues and margins mean that the "inputs" or "suppliers" in this business are going to demand increasing revenues and margins - it is simple business. The players want a piece of the action, and should not be blamed for this; nor should anyone for that matter - it is natural market dynamics that are rarely exposed to this degree in the public sector.

EDIT: The market dynamics in this sense are a bit discombobulated because we only see the "cost" of the players and rarely see the corresponding franchise revenues and profits.

Nellie_Fox
12-13-2007, 01:04 AM
Or should the thread title be "Are all workers money whores?" And the answer would be no. I know lots of people who are working for less money than they could be getting in another job because they like what they do, like where they live, like where they work, or some other non-monetary reason.

areilly
12-13-2007, 01:39 AM

I'll drink to that. He remained a Sox player because he wanted stability, not major payoff.

Um...

What do you do for a living where $14mil annually + job security + guaranteed money + who-knows-what-benefits-and-perks isn't a major payoff?

And are they hiring? :redneck

Frontman
12-13-2007, 09:45 AM
Um...

What do you do for a living where $14mil annually + job security + guaranteed money + who-knows-what-benefits-and-perks isn't a major payoff?

And are they hiring? :redneck

I could tell you, but its a "family" job.

If you take my meaning.