PDA

View Full Version : We need BA in CF. Admit it already.

Jerksticks
12-12-2007, 07:15 PM
I say clam up with all the cliffdiving for next season. We should have a relatively exciting team. I like the new faces.
Richar/Quentin leading off is just fine with me, since it's only 1 inning anyway. I say give the nod to Richar since he has good base running instincts and a shorter swing. SO:

Richar
Cabrera
Thome
Konerko
Dye
Fields
AJ
Quentin
BA

We need BA's defense in CF period. He can cover JD's lost ground no problem. Defense was Hunter's selling point. Well we have better defense for 17.5 million cheaper. If BA rolls his pants up like JD did last year, he will easily hit .280. Yea whos with me?? Get on the BA train baby!
I think Richar and Quentin are gonna hit this year, and BA has to be improved.

Let Richar, Quentin, n BA play. I would still watch every game.

JSticks

SoxNation05
12-12-2007, 07:17 PM
Honestly that team is good for 65-70 wins. Quentin leading off?? No.

HBaines03
12-12-2007, 07:22 PM
That may very well happen now as ARow signed a 5 year deal with SF.

12-12-2007, 07:23 PM
lol

SkeetSkeetAmit
12-12-2007, 07:31 PM
I'm all for BA in CF. His defense is very very good. Too bad he can't hit. If he could do that, we wouldn't even have this problem in the first place since 2006. I thought he would hit then, but that didn't happen... But I'm one of those optimists, so hopefully if he gets called up next season he'll perform at the plate. I really want to see him succeed because I like the guy.

FedEx227
12-12-2007, 07:34 PM
Honestly that team is good for 65-70 wins. Quentin leading off?? No.

Indeed. But plugging *insert overpriced free agent* would give us 90-95?

This team isn't going to compete this year, and it's probably better that way. Too many holes right now so it'd be a good opportunity to really see if our young guys (Floyd, Danks, Richar, BA, Owens, Fields etc) can handle the task.

gogosox16
12-12-2007, 07:37 PM
Indeed. But plugging *insert overpriced free agent* would give us 90-95?

This team isn't going to compete this year, and it's probably better that way. Too many holes right now so it'd be a good opportunity to really see if our young guys (Floyd, Danks, Richar, BA, Owens, Fields etc) can handle the task.
Of course they can handle the task of a team that will lose yet another 90 games this year mayber even a 100

FedEx227
12-12-2007, 07:39 PM
Oh my god, welcome to Major League Baseball. You can't be competitive every single year unless you make a commitment to spending $200 million on payroll. You can't have it both ways and unfortunately the way our minor league system looks now, it might be time to suck it up and literally suck it up for 2 years to try and right the ship.

Lip Man 1
12-12-2007, 07:58 PM
Jerk:

Well it not like there are a lot of options out there instead is there right now?

Lip

MushMouth
12-12-2007, 08:02 PM
Count me in.

BA in Center doesn't sound all that bad. Loved the D. Give him another 80 games of ab's to prove himself.

BadBobbyJenks
12-12-2007, 08:21 PM
Of course they can handle the task of a team that will lose yet another 90 games this year mayber even a 100

true or false this team is better right now than the team that just went 72-90?
why all of a sudden are we going to lose 100:dunno:

JB98
12-12-2007, 08:26 PM

I think we're about the same. The offense would be better with the upgrade at SS and a return to career norms by PK and Dye. But Garland's absence leaves a huge question mark in the rotation, even if 29 other teams would love to have Gavin Floyd.

MarySwiss
12-12-2007, 08:38 PM
I don't think very many of us knocked BA's defense; it was his offense (or lack thereof). And reports that he had an attitude problem.

I'm being Pollyanna again, but maybe his stint in the minors cured whatever attitude problem he had.

Time will tell.

ShoelessJoeS
12-12-2007, 09:09 PM
I must admit that I am a FOBA, and wouldn't mind giving him another shot in CF (given we have viable leadoff man).

:duck:

AJ Hellraiser
12-12-2007, 09:49 PM
This thread is a joke... Owens is better than Anderson and bring speed to the table...Sorry but a guy that didn't care enough about his position to work out routinely and stay in shape deserves to be exiled from the organization....

The Thomenator
12-12-2007, 10:00 PM
This thread is a joke... Owens is better than Anderson and bring speed to the table...Sorry but a guy that didn't care enough about his position to work out routinely and stay in shape deserves to be exiled from the organization....

His agent says otherwise. Check out the thread in the Clubhouse. I'm still hanging onto optimism with this kid as well as this offseason. It may be ignorance, but I always hope for the best with this team.

slavko
12-12-2007, 10:04 PM
I must admit that I am a FOBA, and wouldn't mind giving him another shot in CF (given we have viable leadoff man).

:duck:

You're right.

You're right.

DickAllen72
12-12-2007, 10:05 PM
As I wrote yesterday, Anderson can't even carry Owen's jock strap at this point.

Grzegorz
12-12-2007, 10:08 PM
As I wrote yesterday, Anderson can't even carry Owen's jock strap at this point.

I am not concerned whether BA can carry Owens' jock strap on December 12th 2007.

All that matters is who makes the cut in March of 2008.

DickAllen72
12-12-2007, 10:09 PM
I am not concerned whether BA can carry Owens' jock strap on December 12th 2007.

All that matters is who makes the cut in March of 2008.
That would be Owens.

TDog
12-12-2007, 10:21 PM
I don't think very many of us knocked BA's defense; it was his offense (or lack thereof). And reports that he had an attitude problem.

I'm being Pollyanna again, but maybe his stint in the minors cured whatever attitude problem he had.

Time will tell.

That's what time does best.

I believed a few years ago that Brian Anderson had the tools to be a good leadoff hitter. What disappointed me about him was that he didn't work on his game. He didn't work with his coaches. Outfield defense came naturally to him, but there are times when he has acted lazy even on defense. If the Sox had made him work harder to get to the big leagues, maybe he would have worked harder to get the most out of his talent.

Whether his career can be resurrected remains to be seen. Whether his career can be resurrected with the White Sox remains to be seen. Handing him the centerfield job, however, probably is not the answer.

I think Brian Anderson's future depends on how hard he wants to work to succeed. One problem with last year's White Sox, unfortunately, is that this could be said about players in addition to Brian Anderson.

Tragg
12-12-2007, 10:31 PM
I say clam up with all the cliffdiving for next season. We should have a relatively exciting team. I like the new faces.
Richar/Quentin leading off is just fine with me, since it's only 1 inning anyway. I say give the nod to Richar since he has good base running instincts and a shorter swing. SO:

Richar
Cabrera
Thome
Konerko
Dye
Fields
AJ
Quentin
BA

We need BA's defense in CF period. He can cover JD's lost ground no problem. Defense was Hunter's selling point. Well we have better defense for 17.5 million cheaper. If BA rolls his pants up like JD did last year, he will easily hit .280. Yea whos with me?? Get on the BA train baby!

JSticks
Based on the talent on hand, I agree 100%. Richar should have been batting 2nd last September though; but management felt it more important that ERstad do his hacking out of the 5 holse for Richar to hit up in the order. So I won't hold my breath about him getting a great shake. Not to mention Anderson. But I agree with your choices, given the current talent.

And Anderson is so superior to Owens defensively - that the vast superiority more than outweighs some small offensive edges Owens may have. And this team is going to need the best D it can put on the field, because the only way it has a chance is to keep the opponent from scoring..

ksimpson14
12-12-2007, 10:38 PM

I can't even say we're better, we helped SS and one pen spot, but there were more holes than that, and lost a SP. The big thing to consider is a lot of the competition also got better

chisox77
12-12-2007, 10:39 PM
Right now and into spring training, Owens is the CF for the White Sox. It looks like our team will be young in certain positions, but some will work out nicely, such as Richar at 2B, and Fields at 3B (Crede will be traded in the spring or a little later, IMO). Quentin may work out. He has talent, but has not succeeded at this level yet.

To me, the 2008 White Sox are more of a mystery . . . some things may work out better with this team . . . you never know.

:cool:

Red Barchetta
12-12-2007, 11:01 PM
I'm all for BA in CF. His defense is very very good. Too bad he can't hit. If he could do that, we wouldn't even have this problem in the first place since 2006. I thought he would hit then, but that didn't happen... But I'm one of those optimists, so hopefully if he gets called up next season he'll perform at the plate. I really want to see him succeed because I like the guy.

I think he can hit. His problem two years ago was that he didn't work the count and try to improve his plate patience. I heard an interview with Ozzie in 2006 where he indicated his frustration with Anderson was that he did not have enough quality at bats, meaning Ozzie would instruct him to work deeper into the account and he would be out after 2 pitches.

Plus, if Uribe and Pods had a decent season in 2006, nobody would have noticed Anderson struggling.

I would much rather try Anderson Mach 2 than go with Owens, Crisp, Pierre or Patterson....

ksimpson14
12-12-2007, 11:05 PM
Too many holes right now so it'd be a good opportunity to really see if our young guys (Floyd, Danks, Richar, BA, Owens, Fields etc) can handle the task.

Wait, did I go back in time to mid 2007, I thought that already happened

JorgeFabregas
12-12-2007, 11:15 PM

Jerry Owens career MLB OPS: .636
Brian Anderson career MLB OPS: .638

Jock: carried.

BA is a more natural centerfielder and has a much better arm. Jerry is a much better basestealer. You'd be hard pressed to make the case that there's much difference between them in terms of overall results thus far.

DickAllen72
12-12-2007, 11:31 PM
Jerry Owens career MLB OPS: .636
Brian Anderson career MLB OPS: .638

Jock: carried.

BA is a more natural centerfielder and has a much better arm. Jerry is a much better basestealer. You'd be hard pressed to make the case that there's much difference between them in terms of overall results thus far.
BA got demoted to AAA and struggled there. Owens got promoted to the majors and showed some improvement.

BA was not liked by the coaching staff and was not respected by his fellow outfielders. Remember Pods glaring at him on a play shortly after the time BA let a ball drop and then laughed about it? Remember all the funny looks Dye used to shoot him after the near collisions in right-center?

Owens seems to fit in well with his coaches and teammates. I'm not saying I wouldn't want to upgrade over Owens, but until he can prove otherwise by having a monster spring and a monster couple of months at AAA, BA is a downgrade from Owens and doesn't belong on a major league roster.

JorgeFabregas
12-12-2007, 11:42 PM
BA got demoted to AAA and struggled there. Owens got promoted to the majors and showed some improvement.

BA was not liked by the coaching staff and was not respected by his fellow outfielders. Remember Pods glaring at him on a play shortly after the time BA let a ball drop and then laughed about it? Remember all the funny looks Dye used to shoot him after the near collisions in right-center?

Owens seems to fit in well with his coaches and teammates. I'm not saying I wouldn't want to upgrade over Owens, but until he can prove otherwise by having a monster spring and a monster couple of months at AAA, BA is a downgrade from Owens and doesn't belong on a major league roster.
Very few of the things you listed have anything to do with playing ability. You're essentially saying that he doesn't belong on the MLB roster because he isn't on the MLB roster.

Here's Owen's 2007 AAA OPS that earned him a promotion: .727
Brian Anderson's OPS while struggling at Charlotte (admittedly, he was slowed by a shoulder injury): .753

SBSoxFan
12-13-2007, 01:16 AM
how about Owens in LF and BA in CF?

Jerksticks
12-13-2007, 02:28 AM

Interesting. I like where you are going with this. I mean you always here the blahblah about how corner outfield needs to be a power spot. Well we have 4 guys in Thome, Konerko, Dye, and Fields who can hit the snot outa the ball. Those guys COULD combine for 160 HRs by themselves easily if they have good years. Easily.
In my perfect world, I'd prefer a LF battle between Owens/Quentin than a CF battle between Owens/BA. I want BA to be my CF.

This offense is an interesting mix of veterans and young guys. BA was thrown into a post world series winning, hyped up, huge expectations, huge shoes to fill postion among all veterans who had just won the series. Not to make excuses, but maybe another go around would be easier for him.

The defense will be spectacular this year if BA plays, and the offense just might click.

Count me in as excited.
JSticks

DeadMoney
12-13-2007, 03:02 AM

I could probably handle that. But ... could Ozzie?

The BA trials and tribulations are very public and when the manager hates your guts, it's very difficult to succeed. I'm not saying that Ozzie's opinion couldn't change, but at the same time I just don't see that happening. The only way I see this (Owens - LF, BA - CF) happening is if BA came into ST and lit the world on fire. Then, things would change (regardless of BA's 'attitude'). Then again, BA needs to get the chance too; and that takes Ozzie's approval.

Grzegorz
12-13-2007, 05:41 AM
That would be Owens.

Hypothetically, if Brian Anderson outperforms Jerry Owens in spring training would you then support Brian Anderson starting over Jerry Owens?

SBSoxFan
12-13-2007, 08:39 AM
Interesting. I like where you are going with this. I mean you always here the blahblah about how corner outfield needs to be a power spot. Well we have 4 guys in Thome, Konerko, Dye, and Fields who can hit the snot outa the ball. Those guys COULD combine for 160 HRs by themselves easily if they have good years. Easily.
In my perfect world, I'd prefer a LF battle between Owens/Quentin than a CF battle between Owens/BA. I want BA to be my CF.

This offense is an interesting mix of veterans and young guys. BA was thrown into a post world series winning, hyped up, huge expectations, huge shoes to fill postion among all veterans who had just won the series. Not to make excuses, but maybe another go around would be easier for him.

The defense will be spectacular this year if BA plays, and the offense just might click.

Count me in as excited.
JSticks

The Sox' left fielder had 0 HR and 25 rbi's during the 2005 regular season. The Sox still need a lead off batter, and Owens is the closest thing they have, given that I think your lead off guy should be able to steal a lot of bases.

His arm will be less of an issue in LF, and I'm willing to give him some time to see if he can handle leading off, and if he can get on base enough. If not, then I guess you have Quentin waiting in the wings who should be completely healthy by the time you need to make a decision. However, that again leaves you with no lead off batter.

I'm not necessarily advocating BA in CF, but an in-house option is always the best option. So basically, I just want Owens in LF and leading off regardless of who is in CF.

russ99
12-13-2007, 10:08 AM
That's what time does best.

I believed a few years ago that Brian Anderson had the tools to be a good leadoff hitter. What disappointed me about him was that he didn't work on his game. He didn't work with his coaches. Outfield defense came naturally to him, but there are times when he has acted lazy even on defense. If the Sox had made him work harder to get to the big leagues, maybe he would have worked harder to get the most out of his talent.

Whether his career can be resurrected remains to be seen. Whether his career can be resurrected with the White Sox remains to be seen. Handing him the centerfield job, however, probably is not the answer.

I think Brian Anderson's future depends on how hard he wants to work to succeed. One problem with last year's White Sox, unfortunately, is that this could be said about players in addition to Brian Anderson.

Been there done that.

If Ozzie even gives the slightest shot to Anderson over Owens (who did steal a lot of bases last year) and has proven he's willing to work hard and listen to the coaches I'll be overcome with shock and surprise.

Still, Owens isn't a given commodity, which I why I still think the Sox need to and will acquire another outfielder with Major League experience. Cameron, anyone? If Owens is on the opening day lineup, I'd prefer him in LF and batting 9th.

Face it BA fans, even if he's all of a sudden "matured" it's better he gets a clean slate somewhere else, cause Ozzie and the coaches aren't just going to forget everything and give him one with the Sox.

AZChiSoxFan
12-13-2007, 10:18 AM

Richar
Cabrera
Thome
Konerko
Dye
Fields
AJ
Quentin
BA

JSticks

:DJ

"Uh-Oh!"

JB98
12-13-2007, 03:13 PM

How about some gas and a match?

Sadly, I'm not sure there's much difference between that and Quentin in LF and Owens in CF.

munchman33
12-13-2007, 03:53 PM
I read the title of this thread and was confused. Is it about tanking games for a better draft pick? :cool:

alohafri
12-13-2007, 03:59 PM
I agree. Let's give Anderson another shot. Rumor has it he has matured. He has only had one shot at it. He can't be any worse than anyone else.

DickAllen72
12-13-2007, 05:39 PM
Hypothetically, if Brian Anderson outperforms Jerry Owens in spring training would you then support Brian Anderson starting over Jerry Owens?
If Anderson performs very well and Owens performs poorly, yes. If they both perform well but Anderson only performs slightly better than Owens, no. Owens can leadoff, Anderson can't. Owens can steal bases at a righ rate and high percentage, Anderson can't. Owens does not have an attitude problem, Anderson does. The only things Anderson has over Owens at this point is a better arm and more power. The power number is not imprtant because he doesn't hit enough to make a difference and we don't need power production from a leadoff guy.

But again, I hope they upgrade significantly over Owens in CF and Owens is on the bench as a PR and fourth outfielder.

Daver
12-13-2007, 05:44 PM
If Anderson performs very well and Owens performs poorly, yes. If they both perform well but Anderson only performs slightly better than Owens, no. Owens can leadoff, Anderson can't. Owens can steal bases at a righ rate and high percentage, Anderson can't. Owens does not have an attitude problem, Anderson does. The only things Anderson has over Owens at this point is a better arm and more power. The power number is not imprtant because he doesn't hit enough to make a difference and we don't need power production from a leadoff guy.

But again, I hope they upgrade significantly over Owens in CF and Owens is on the bench as a PR and fourth outfielder.

Owens can't play center field, Anderson can.

DickAllen72
12-13-2007, 05:52 PM
Owens can't play center field, Anderson can.
I wonder whom Dye and Podsednik preferred playing next to them? They sure gave BA a lot of dirty looks in the outfield. I never noticed that with Owens.

santo=dorf
12-13-2007, 05:54 PM
I wonder whom Dye and Podsednik preferred playing next to them? They sure gave BA a lot of dirty looks in the outfield. I never noticed that with Owens.
LOL

That's because either:
a) Pods was on the DL
b) Dye couldn't care less in a garbage season
c) You're completely exaggerating just to make a snide remark about Anderson
d) all of the above

JRIG
12-13-2007, 06:00 PM

Owens never got close enough to Dye or Pods to see any faces they would have made. He was too busy taking awful routes to fly balls to notice.

JorgeFabregas
12-13-2007, 06:06 PM
LOL

That's because either:
a) Pods was on the DL
b) Dye couldn't care less in a garbage season
d) all of the above
e. Anderson got to more balls in the gap and thus actually had the opportunity to draw dirty looks over near-collisions or whatever was asserted earlier in this thread.

Didn't Owens have an *actual* collision? I think it was with Uribe, though. Not sure you can pin that on Owens...heck, I'm not sure most outfield collisions have any one player to blame, but apparently "near-collisions" and "dirty looks" are now major criteria for rating outfield play.

DickAllen72
12-13-2007, 06:12 PM
LOL

Dye couldn't care less in a garbage season

So you don't remember back in '06 when Anderson let an easy fly ball drop in front of him and laughed about it? Then a day or two later another ball was hit between him and Pods and Pods ran over towards centerfield, caught the ball then glared at Anderson?

Or the many times after near collisions on ball hit between Anderson and Dye, Dye would give BA a dirty look? At the time, sports-blab radio hosts (whom I admit usually don't know what they're talking about) were saying that Pods and Dye do not respect BA. This was early on before it was apparent that Ozzie soured on him.

These are things that don't show up in stats but are noticeable when you watch the games.

DickAllen72
12-13-2007, 06:15 PM
Owens never got close enough to Dye or Pods to see any faces they would have made. He was too busy taking awful routes to fly balls to notice.
Hey, I want an upgrade over Owens as much as anyone. But BA is not the answer, at least not until he can prove it by actually putting up some impressive numbers in AAA and showing the coaches that he has matured.

One more thing to remember about Anderson is how he often failed to backup his corner outfielders.

DickAllen72
12-13-2007, 06:29 PM
Didn't Owens have an *actual* collision? I think it was with Uribe, though. Not sure you can pin that on Owens...heck, I'm not sure most outfield collisions have any one player to blame, but apparently "near-collisions" and "dirty looks" are now major criteria for rating outfield play.
Heavy sigh.

Usually after a near collision (which happens frequently in baseball), the two outfielders involved will discuss the situation, ask each other if they're OK, apologize, maybe smile a little or maybe give each other a pat on the back, etc.

It's telling when one player's teammates always seem to be giving him dirty looks or glaring at him after these types of mishaps.

Anyway, I didn't intend to make a big deal out of this, I just mentioned it as one of many reasons why BA is not currently on the major league roster. I figured most people here would remember those incidents and they wouldn't become a point of debate.

If the kid can show the Sox organization that he has matured and can gain the repect of his coaches and teammates then maybe he will get another shot. At this point Jerry Owens is ahead of him for that shot.

Daver
12-13-2007, 06:35 PM
Hey, I want an upgrade over Owens as much as anyone. But BA is not the answer, at least not until he can prove it by actually putting up some impressive numbers in AAA and showing the coaches that he has matured.

One more thing to remember about Anderson is how he often failed to backup his corner outfielders.

You crack me up.

Literally.

DickAllen72
12-13-2007, 06:48 PM
You crack me up.

Literally.
:rolleyes:
OK, you've convinced me. Owens can't play CF because he takes bad routes to balls just like Rowand, the mediocre left fielder who can't play CF at all. Neither one gets to any balls not hit directly at them, and then they even misjudge half of those.

Meanwhile Brian Anderson makes Ken Berry in his prime look like a rank amature in the field. In fact, with BA patrolling CF, there is no need for a LFer and RFer so they can use that extra money saved on Dye and Quentin's salaries to bolster the starting pitching rotation.

No need to upgrade the bullpen because BA can pitch the late innings from centerfield. Also, with BA in the lineup, the Sox don't need to depend on a rebound in the production from Konerko, Dye and AJ.

BA is can do it all. It's a shame KW and Ozzie are either so baseball retarded or petty that they can't see this and are allowing the greatest player in history to rot away in Charlotte.

getonbckthr
12-13-2007, 06:48 PM
Anderson = Kelly LEak in the field, unfortunately he was Rudy Stein at the plate.

Daver
12-13-2007, 06:51 PM
:rolleyes:
OK, you've convinced me. Owens can't play CF because he takes bad routes to balls just like Rowand, the mediocre left fielder who can't play CF at all. Neither one gets to any balls not hit directly at them, and then they even misjudge half of those.

Meanwhile Brian Anderson makes Ken Berry in his prime look like a rank amature in the field. In fact, with BA patrolling CF, there is no need for a LFer and RFer so they can use that extra money saved on Dye and Quentin's salaries to bolster the starting pitching rotation.

No need to upgrade the bullpen because BA can pitch the late innings from centerfield. Also, with BA in the lineup, the Sox don't need to depend on a rebound in the production from Konerko, Dye and AJ.

BA is can do it all. It's a shame KW and Ozzie are either so baseball retarded or petty that they can't see this and are allowing the greatest player in history to rot away in Charlotte.

You continue to crack me up.

Please keep going, your ignorance on what you are talking about almost has me in tears.

DickAllen72
12-13-2007, 07:08 PM
You continue to crack me up.

Please keep going, your ignorance on what you are talking about almost has me in tears.
No, I admit it, you're right. That incident about BA letting the ball drop and then laughing was a figment of my imagination--it never happened.

I never heard it reported that Dye and Pods did not respect BA--I just dreamed it.

Pods never glared at BA, it was just the shadows making it appear that way. Dye never gave him a dirty look, it was a look of admiration and awe that i misinterpreted.

BA certainly proved his worth at the plate by the great quality at-bats he put up when with the Sox.

And according to Ozzie, BA was a role model in the clubhouse. The only reason he was sent down was because they needed to make room for Andy Gonzalez whom they were hoping to showcase for a trade.

BA will be the starting CFer for the Sox and for the AL All Star team in '08 and will most likely be in the running for MVP.

fquaye149
12-13-2007, 07:35 PM
No, I admit it, you're right. That incident about BA letting the ball drop and then laughing was a figment of my imagination--it never happened.

I never heard it reported that Dye and Pods did not respect BA--I just dreamed it.

Pods never glared at BA, it was just the shadows making it appear that way. Dye never gave him a dirty look, it was a look of admiration and awe that i misinterpreted.

BA certainly proved his worth at the plate by the great quality at-bats he put up when with the Sox.

And according to Ozzie, BA was a role model in the clubhouse. The only reason he was sent down was because they needed to make room for Andy Gonzalez whom they were hoping to showcase for a trade.

BA will be the starting CFer for the Sox and for the AL All Star team in '08 and will most likely be in the running for MVP.

At least when Erstad let that ball drop in front of him he was trying realy really really hard and grinding away at the same result :rolleyes:

JRIG
12-13-2007, 08:14 PM
At least when Erstad let that ball drop in front of him he was trying realy really really hard and grinding away at the same result :rolleyes:

And sprained an ankle in the process....

FarWestChicago
12-13-2007, 08:32 PM
I honestly hope BA gets his head out of his ass, applies himself and becomes a decent baseball player. If he does, he would be a HUGE asset and a major steal for the Sox. As it stands, you BA Apologists are definitely suffering from severe cognitive dissonance. Let's hope he can cure that for you and kick some ass. :smile:

CLR01
12-13-2007, 08:34 PM
I honestly hope BA gets his head out of his ass, applies himself and becomes a decent baseball player. If he does, he would be a HUGE asset and a major steal for the Sox. As it stands, you BA Apologists are definitely suffering from severe cognitive dissonance. Let's hope he can cure that for you and kick some ass. :smile:

Brian Anderson has been kicking ass since grade school.

FarWestChicago
12-13-2007, 08:40 PM
Brian Anderson has been kicking ass since grade school.Now if he had only matured since grade school we might be somewhere. :happyguy:

Daver
12-13-2007, 08:49 PM
Now if he had only matured since grade school we might be somewhere. :happyguy:

Geez, you want everything!

JB98
12-13-2007, 08:50 PM
You gotta love these Anderson threads. Almost a surefire recipe for a WSI brawl. :D:

CLR01
12-13-2007, 08:55 PM
Now if he had only matured since grade school we might be somewhere. :happyguy:

Maturity and ass kicking don't really mix. Right mike?

http://z.about.com/d/crime/1/0/8/T/tyson_m04.jpg
"I'm going to eat your children..."

You gotta love these Anderson threads. Almost a surefire recipe for a WSI brawl. :D:

Ando would want it no other way.

FarWestChicago
12-13-2007, 08:58 PM
Geez, you want everything!He would be a huge score if he could spell work ethic, much less had one. Can you imagine having a full blown, potential realized BA prowling CF for basically free after all the money people have thrown at outfielders in the last few weeks? :cool:

Brian26
12-13-2007, 09:08 PM

Defensively, I think that would be fun to watch. That would be a hell of a move.

DickAllen72
12-13-2007, 10:26 PM
I honestly hope BA gets his head out of his ass, applies himself and becomes a decent baseball player. If he does, he would be a HUGE asset and a major steal for the Sox.
:thumbsup: I agree.

Nellie_Fox
12-14-2007, 01:42 AM
At least when Erstad let that ball drop in front of him he was trying realy really really hard and grinding away at the same result :rolleyes:Any outfielder can lose a flyball. Rookie outfielders should not think it's funny.

fquaye149
12-14-2007, 06:12 AM
Any outfielder can lose a flyball. Rookie outfielders should not think it's funny.

Probably not. He probably should have punched his glove real hard and made a scowly face and mouthed "that is unacceptable, won't happen again."

Instead, he seemed to laugh and then proceeded to continue playing the best defensive CF the Sox have seen in a long time.

Big whoop.

santo=dorf
12-14-2007, 08:05 AM
Any outfielder can lose a flyball. Rookie outfielders should not think it's funny.
It would've been much more approriate for him to stand there with his arms out just and then walk to ball behind him like the veteran Erstad did.

AZChiSoxFan
12-14-2007, 09:32 AM

They're classic aren't they? Next week, I think I will start a new thread by simply saying "what does everyone think about the possibility of BA starting in CF?" Then I'll just sit back and watch the brawl.

Just kidding. As much as I would like to do that, I just can't put the mods through that.

Jaffar
12-14-2007, 09:38 AM
They're classic aren't they? Next week, I think I will start a new thread by simply saying "what does everyone think about the possibility of BA starting in CF?" Then I'll just sit back and watch the brawl.

Just kidding. As much as I would like to do that, I just can't put the mods through that.

At least wait until Juan Pierre and Coco Crisp are traded to teams other then the White Sox so all the PPDC's can jump in.:popcorn:

Taliesinrk
12-14-2007, 10:18 AM
Defensively, I think that would be fun to watch. That would be a hell of a move.

Unfortunately, I'd rather have that than Pierre or Crisp. Would make for some good D, too.

FarWestChicago
12-14-2007, 10:33 PM
Probably not. He probably should have punched his glove real hard and made a scowly face and mouthed "that is unacceptable, won't happen again."

Instead, he seemed to laugh and then proceeded to continue playing the best defensive CF the Sox have seen in a long time.

Big whoop.

It would've been much more approriate for him to stand there with his arms out just and then walk to ball behind him like the veteran Erstad did.The cognitive dissonance continues.

fquaye149
12-14-2007, 10:35 PM
The cognitive dissonance continues.

Attitude or not, results are on the field.

His replacements were BADD with two d's

FarWestChicago
12-14-2007, 10:43 PM
Attitude or not, results are on the field.

His replacements were BADD with two d'sIt doesn't matter. BA is an ass until he grows up. You Apologists just can't process that. It conflicts with your beliefs. The best result would be for reality to catch up to your dreams. We'll all be happy then. :smile:

Big Hurt #35=HOF
12-14-2007, 11:58 PM
No way! Need a lead off hitter with speed and that could steal bases. I just dont see this years team being competitive

fquaye149
12-15-2007, 01:03 AM
It doesn't matter. BA is an ass until he grows up. You Apologists just can't process that. It conflicts with your beliefs. The best result would be for reality to catch up to your dreams. We'll all be happy then. :smile:

Sure he's an ass. Absolutely. 100% agree.

And Ozzie's an ass for playing that butcher Mackowiak in front of him no matter the reasons.

Nellie_Fox
12-15-2007, 01:09 AM
It would've been much more approriate for him to stand there with his arms out just and then walk to ball behind him like the veteran Erstad did.Did you even watch that play? When he realized that the ball had dropped behind him, he turned and started to run, then saw that the right fielder (I don't remember who was out there that day) was at full speed and much closer to the ball than he was. Should he have sprinted back and got in the way? He was not going to get to it first, and would have just blocked the throw.

MushMouth
12-15-2007, 03:37 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e9Q3orQhEcA

he's back

come on people, he's better than Owens. he'll be rock solid in the field and deserves one more shot at the bigs before we ditch him.

owens 4th OF

FarWestChicago
12-15-2007, 09:14 AM
Sure he's an ass. Absolutely. 100% agree.

And Ozzie's an ass for playing that butcher Mackowiak in front of him no matter the reasons.What does Ozzie have to do with anything? We are talking about BA. If he grows up, we potentially get a huge break.

santo=dorf
12-15-2007, 04:50 PM
Did you even watch that play? When he realized that the ball had dropped behind him, he turned and started to run, then saw that the right fielder (I don't remember who was out there that day) was at full speed and much closer to the ball than he was. Should he have sprinted back and got in the way? He was not going to get to it first, and would have just blocked the throw.
I remember it vivdly.

Dye came running in and Erstad was barely walking to the ball.
Don't believe me? Watch the damn clip for yourself:
http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/news/wrap.jsp?ymd=20070504&content_id=1946413&vkey=wrapup2005&fext=.jsp&team=away&c_id=cws
-top plays 350k
Napoli's RBI "Double."

fquaye149
12-15-2007, 04:59 PM
What does Ozzie have to do with anything? We are talking about BA. If he grows up, we potentially get a huge break.

You can define the conversation on those terms if you want. Just don't be surprised if some people bring up Ozzie, since he is a very relevant part of the conversation in a lot of people's opinions.

FarWestChicago
12-15-2007, 05:29 PM
You can define the conversation on those terms if you want. Just don't be surprised if some people bring up Ozzie, since he is a very relevant part of the conversation in a lot of people's opinions.I understand that. But, they aren't being logical. I admit I find grassy knoll, conspiracy theories entertaining. But, one needs to recognize the difference between entertainment and reality to avoid becoming basically silly. :D:

fquaye149
12-15-2007, 05:32 PM
I understand that. But, they aren't being logical. I admit I find grassy knoll, conspiracy theories entertaining. But, one needs to recognize the difference between entertainment and reality to avoid becoming basically silly. :D:

I think a number of knowledgeable baseball posters, myself and Daver included among many many others, would characterize the way Ozzie handled the 2006 BA situation (and the 2007 for that matter) as asinine.

Whether the fact that Anderson has a bad attitude and started off with a lousy stick alone was the sole motivation for Ozzie's decisions (it probably was), it doesn't change the fact that Ozzie made a stupid decision regarding benching Anderson in 07 and treating him like a platoon player in 06, and that he will continue to.

I hardly think that's loony, tinfoil, coat hang-ar hat wearing conjecture

FarWestChicago
12-15-2007, 05:44 PM
I think a number of knowledgeable baseball posters, myself and Daver included among many many others, would characterize the way Ozzie handled the 2006 BA situation (and the 2007 for that matter) as asinine.

Whether the fact that Anderson has a bad attitude and started off with a lousy stick alone was the sole motivation for Ozzie's decisions (it probably was), it doesn't change the fact that Ozzie made a stupid decision regarding benching Anderson in 07 and treating him like a platoon player in 06, and that he will continue to.

I hardly think that's loony, tinfoil, coat hang-ar hat wearing conjectureYes, but what Ozzie did or didn't do has nothing to do with BA now. I want BA to grow up and kick ass. I had high hopes for him. I still think he can be something if he recovers from cranial-sphincteritis. If BA has his head on straight, something all but the most rabid BA Apologists will admit has never been the case, Ozzie will have to play him. I don't think Ozzie is that stupid. And if he is, I don't think Kenny would allow it. He's the friggin' boss and with all the heat he's taking he's not going to allow a stud centerfielder to languish. It's up to BA. Don't just put up decent numbers in the spring. Show some work ethic. You're blowing a shot at tens of millions if you have no other motivation.

fquaye149
12-15-2007, 05:46 PM
Yes, but what Ozzie did or didn't do has nothing to do with BA now. I want BA to grow up and kick ass. I had high hopes for him. I still think he can be something if he recovers from cranial-sphincteritis. If BA has his head on straight, something all but the most rabid BA Apologists will admit has never been the case, Ozzie will have to play him. I don't think Ozzie is that stupid. And if he is, I don't think Kenny would allow it. He's the friggin' boss and with all the heat he's taking he's not going to allow a stud centerfielder to languish. It's up to BA. Don't just put up decent numbers in the spring. Show some work ethic. You're blowing a shot at tens of millions if you have no other motivation.

I think BA's got to do his share...but I really hope Kenny rattles Ozzie's cage around.

Ozzie's pretty stubborn (a good thing most of the time) but I find his handling of BA inexcusable, and I'll be just as pissed if he repeats it as if BA repeats his mistakes

Tragg
12-15-2007, 06:02 PM
That's the whole focus of the discussion: Anderson has to "kick a" in order to play; low ceiling veterans can perform in a mediocre manner (or worse, like Rob M in the field or Erstad at the plate) and they stick.
It's a debate on the use of young talent, and there's factual basis for the querie. Ozzie was forced to play Fields, Richar and Owens in September out of default. He wasn't forced to pitch Gio and the rest - so he didn't.

As it is, Anderson is an outstanding fielder - among the best in baseball. He also had a higher OPS than Owens or Erstad.

FarWestChicago
12-15-2007, 06:37 PM
I think BA's got to do his share...but I really hope Kenny rattles Ozzie's cage around.

Ozzie's pretty stubborn (a good thing most of the time) but I find his handling of BA inexcusable, and I'll be just as pissed if he repeats it as if BA repeats his mistakesIf BA delivers, Kenny has to make sure he plays. He would look like a genius after all the money tossed at potentially lesser players this offseason. :cool:

FarWestChicago
12-15-2007, 06:39 PM
That's the whole focus of the discussion: Anderson has to "kick a" in order to play; low ceiling veterans can perform in a mediocre manner (or worse, like Rob M in the field or Erstad at the plate) and they stick.:deadhorse:

Give it a rest. We are talking about interesting things now.

Daver
12-15-2007, 06:39 PM
I think a number of knowledgeable baseball posters, myself and Daver included among many many others,

How did I get dragged into this?

fquaye149
12-15-2007, 07:07 PM
How did I get dragged into this?

Mitchell Report

fquaye149
12-15-2007, 07:09 PM
If BA delivers, Kenny has to make sure he plays. He would look like a genius after all the money tossed at potentially lesser players this offseason. :cool:

I wonder though. He's pledged not to interfere with Ozzie's lineup decisions.

I saw a lot of his personnel moves last seasons as ways to ensure that youth played when the season was lost...without actually TELLING Ozzie that he needed to play the kids. Now, this is, of course, just conjecture on my part, but how else can you explain that Iguchi trade? (among others)

Daver
12-15-2007, 07:20 PM
Mitchell Report

I double checked the list, I'm not listed, and I demand a retraction.

fquaye149
12-15-2007, 07:22 PM

Contact my ombudsman

FarWestChicago
12-16-2007, 10:12 AM
I wonder though. He's pledged not to interfere with Ozzie's lineup decisions.

I saw a lot of his personnel moves last seasons as ways to ensure that youth played when the season was lost...without actually TELLING Ozzie that he needed to play the kids. Now, this is, of course, just conjecture on my part, but how else can you explain that Iguchi trade? (among others)We can only hope BA, Ozzie and Kenny all do the right thing. That would be best for us. :nod:

jabrch
12-16-2007, 10:46 AM

:barney&sham

We weren't on that list

:R&R
We weren't either

fquaye149
12-16-2007, 10:53 AM
We can only hope BA, Ozzie and Kenny all do the right thing. That would be best for us. :nod:

Now THERE'S something we can agree on.