PDA

View Full Version : Randy Winn

Fantosme
12-12-2007, 05:03 PM
The Giants have tried to trade Winn in the past, and now with Rowand signed, it is even more likely that he will be dealt. He is signed for two years at $8 million per year.

.300/.353/.445 with 14 HR and 15 SB. He is not a true CF, but can play the position.

Winn is not great, but he certainly is a better option than Owens/Patterson/Pierre/Crisp/BA. And I doubt it would take much more than a few mid-level prospects to get him. Crede for Winn is also a possibility if SF cannot resign Feliz.

Pasqua's Mailman
12-12-2007, 05:10 PM
Winn is not great, but he certainly is a better option than Owens/Patterson/Pierre/Crisp/BA. And I doubt it would take much more than a few mid-level prospects to get him. Crede for Winn is also a possibility if SF cannot resign Feliz.

No he is not... Winn is not very good and for that money I would rather have Owens...

AJ Hellraiser
12-12-2007, 05:18 PM
Yeah... Winn is declining and I'd rather let Owens play.. Owens also provides one nice element that Winn does not: SPEED

Fantosme
12-12-2007, 05:22 PM
Yeah... Winn is declining and I'd rather let Owens play.. Owens also provides one nice element that Winn does not: SPEED

His 07 numbers were better than his 06 numbers. And if you look at his numbers over the past six years, they have been fairly consistent.

oeo
12-12-2007, 05:23 PM
The Giants have tried to trade Winn in the past, and now with Rowand signed, it is even more likely that he will be dealt. He is signed for two years at $8 million per year.

.300/.353/.445 with 14 HR and 15 SB. He is not a true CF, but can play the position.

Why is everyone's solution to either sign free agents at massive prices, or trade for mediocre veterans?

Those are terrible options for a team that has a limited amount of talent in the minors, and will be competing in the league's toughest division.

Fantosme
12-12-2007, 05:24 PM
Why is everyone's solution to either sign free agents at massive prices, or trade for mediocre veterans?

Those are terrible options for a team that has a limited amount of talent in the minors, and will be competing in the league's toughest division.

The options are bad or worse; pick one.

BeviBall!
12-12-2007, 05:24 PM
This is what it's come to, folks. Randy ****ing Winn.

Pasqua's Mailman
12-12-2007, 05:27 PM
His 07 numbers were better than his 06 numbers. And if you look at his numbers over the past six years, they have been fairly consistent.

His number may be consistent... consistently mediocre...

Fantosme
12-12-2007, 05:35 PM
His number may be consistent... consistently mediocre...

What do you expect at this point in the offseason? Either you trade for a mediocre veteran, or stick with arguably the worst CF in baseball. Winn is mediocre, but he appears to be the best option the Sox have at this point, unless they want to trade the farm for Josh Hamilton.

Pasqua's Mailman
12-12-2007, 05:46 PM
What do you expect at this point in the offseason? Either you trade for a mediocre veteran, or stick with arguably the worst CF in baseball. Winn is mediocre, but he appears to be the best option the Sox have at this point, unless they want to trade the farm for Josh Hamilton.

Worst CF in baseball? Have you looked at the Orioles roster? Who are the Twins going to throw out there? Jason Tyner?

Look, Owens may not be great and he may not be nearly what we want to see out there but he is a heck of a lot better than an overpaid Randy Winn... and he is NOT the best option out there either...

Things will shake out, players will be non-tendered and new trading opportunities will arise... at this point all we can do is hope for the best...

AWhiteSoxinNJ
12-12-2007, 06:30 PM
No Thank You.

kjhanson
12-12-2007, 06:33 PM
I've always thought Winn was one of the more underrated players in the game. Take a look at this splits, and you'll see the embodiment of consistency. It's really pretty incredible. For $4mm/year, he would be a good deal for someone, unfortunately, I think it's someone else. For $3.5mm less we keep Owens and let the kid hit in front of a real #2 hitter (Cabrera). If we're not committed to a superstar type player, it's better to keep the team younger, and build off the success they (Owens, Fields) had in the 2nd half of 2007.

mjmcend
12-12-2007, 06:48 PM

Crisp's #s
.280 .329 .409Winn's #s
.286 .345 .424
Crisp is also signed for 2 years plus an option year at 4.75/5.75/8(option). And he is actually a legitimately good centerfielder.

SoxNation05
12-12-2007, 07:09 PM
I don't think Winn is helping us get younger.

Lip Man 1
12-12-2007, 08:00 PM
ESPN says Winn will play right field.

Lip

Brian26
12-12-2007, 09:11 PM
Crede for Winn is also a possibility if SF cannot resign Feliz.

If you would have told me two years ago that the Sox would need two outfielders and would be so desperate that they would consider trading Joe Crede for Randy Winn, I never would have believed it.

champagne030
12-12-2007, 09:19 PM
Worst CF in baseball? Have you looked at the Orioles roster? Who are the Twins going to throw out there? Jason Tyner?

Um, I think I'd trade Owens for Markakis in about .000000001 nanoseconds. :rolleyes: