PDA

View Full Version : Will the Mitchell Report change baseball?

mikeymike
12-12-2007, 01:11 PM
Do you guys think the Mitchell Report will have major implications on the sport? I just posted a poll about it, and I'm really looking forward to see what people think.

Mod edit: We have a poll function on this site, I added your poll to this thread.

Trav
12-12-2007, 01:18 PM
No, if Selig wanted to get to the bottom of this, he would have hired someone who would. Mitchell's report won't do anything but shed some light into who was using. I doubt it was inclusive and it sounds like he barked up the Mets' tree because of the trainer there. A real investigation would have worked from all the angles and let back to the teams and the owners and the commissioner himself. I guess we won't know for sure until it actually comes out, but that's how it seems to me.

RockyMtnSoxFan
12-12-2007, 01:35 PM
The steroids era in baseball won't end until the glorification of home runs stops.

DumpJerry
12-12-2007, 02:40 PM
The steroids era in baseball won't end until the glorification of home runs stops.
Along with heroic pitching. Pitchers have tested positive as much as position players.

Domeshot17
12-12-2007, 02:55 PM
I have a feeling it will be VERY Met and Yank heavy and Red Sox light. If Manny or Ortiz were guilty, not saying they are, just hypothetical, Mitchell now has a huge conflict of interest. In 24 hours we will possibly see.

In the end it won't. We know players use steroids. We knew for years. And for years attendance has gone up.

The truth is, no matter how many players abuse it, baseball is still our past-time. It is still the game America grew up on. Its still a dad throwing the ball in the backyard with his son. Its still playing Home Run Derby with your friends and being The Big Hurt or Griffey or nowadays Pujols and Arod. Its still the game that made how many of us reflect on after we won the 2005 world series. Not only thinking about the joys of the fan, but also the people who made that win special for us. Its the GAME that touched America after 9-11 when the Yanks took the field in NYPD and FDNY hats. Love or Hate the Yanks, you could not dislike that moment.

My biggest fear is that it will change us as fans. The way everyone in SF defends Bonds, would that be us if Thomas or Konerko or Buehrle was named? Would we be saying who cares everyone does they are just leveling the playing field. I am not saying they will be named or we will respond that way but who knows until it happens.

The Mitchell report will change the face of major league baseball somewhat. I am sure it will bring down half a dozen all stars. But baseball goes beyond the major leagues, and its something that can't be touched.

GoGoSoxReborn
12-12-2007, 03:10 PM
I couldn't be more excited for tomorrow. It's like Christmas Eve... I hope there are dozens of players listed that I have hated and expected of cheating for years.

I.E. - Sheffield, Rodriguez, Sosa, Bonds, McGuire etc.

:supernana::supernana::supernana:

EndemicSox
12-12-2007, 03:12 PM
The players will always be one step ahead, this will never change...money talks...

ESPN will be all over the report for a week, and then another week come March...but thats it...

Untill I see the report, I'm of the belief that certain players will be left off the report for PR reason/or had the opportunity to clear their names through other means...time will tell...

RockyMtnSoxFan
12-12-2007, 03:41 PM
Along with heroic pitching. Pitchers have tested positive as much as position players.

That's true, and I agree that home run hitters are not the only culprits, but it is because of home runs that steroids are tolerated: by ownership, MLB management, and most of all by the fans. People act like they are upset, and some genuinely are, but a lot of people would be bored of baseball if there weren't huge guys hitting the cover off the ball, and pitchers topping 100 mph. (This statement might not be true of hard core fans, but MLB doesn't really care about them anyway.)

thomas35forever
12-12-2007, 06:28 PM
Yeah it will. And maybe Babe Ruth will come back from the dead and sign a ten-year deal with the Yanks.

BadBobbyJenks
12-12-2007, 08:25 PM
wow a few players that plenty of fans suspected cheated are now listed as cheaters in writing......this is going to shake the foundation

kevin57
12-12-2007, 09:15 PM
Call me Polyannish, but I think that things will change. Granted, it will never be pristine pure. Hell, the Olympics have the highest standards and the toughest testing and they still get plenty of positives, but at least the general public believes they're doing everything they can do. Nobody believes the owners really want to tackle this problem.

Viva Medias B's
12-12-2007, 09:17 PM
I wonder if and when names on the report will "leak" before Mitchell's scheduled presser at 1:00 p.m. (Chicago time) on Thursday. Selig is scheduled to speak 2 hours after Mitchell does.

PKalltheway
12-12-2007, 09:57 PM
It won't change baseball; however, it will most definitely end the speculation of who was, and who wasn't, on steroids.

ksimpson14
12-12-2007, 09:57 PM
I personally think it will be a joke. He said he didn't even know about Byrd when that broke, and that came from some big federal raid. Dentists giving out HGH to pro athletes, doesn't sound suspicious? So his research is just asking players and coaches? That'll get you far...

Not to mention the conflict of interest

I don't think the impact will be huge. Not that it makes it right, but there's cheating in every sport, has always been, and in every level of society. Unfortunately, a lot of people aren't caught and get where they are due to acting unethically (and sometimes illegally), and the good guys usually fight even harder and don't get as far. Some of the people who are asking for people's heads right now are probably just as guilty in some other aspect of their life, so it may be time to look in the mirror. Players will get their slap on the wrist, and move on. Either way, these guys are rich, and the world won't be over for any of them, and the game will move on

Frontman
12-12-2007, 11:19 PM
It won't change baseball; however, it will most definitely end the speculation of who was, and who wasn't, on steroids.

Actually, unless there is actual drug test results as a part of the Mitchell report, its STILL speculation without concrete evidence.

PalehosePlanet
12-12-2007, 11:22 PM
Actually, unless there is actual drug test results as a part of the Mitchell report, its STILL speculation without concrete evidence.

Exactly; I keep hearing that there is only one real source for this entire report. His name escapes me at the moment but it's the Mets clubhouse manager or trainer of some sort.

Frontman
12-12-2007, 11:34 PM
Exactly; I keep hearing that there is only one real source for this entire report. His name escapes me at the moment but it's the Mets clubhouse manager or trainer of some sort.

Anyone remember the equipment manager from their high school team?

Think that guy was bitter? This Mets clubhouse guy sounds to me like "most likely to be still wedgied and swirlied in his 40's."