PDA

View Full Version : Tejada to Houston for 5 Players

downstairs
12-12-2007, 12:56 PM
Tejada traded to Astros

No link yet, on front page of:
http://www.sportsline.com/

Was moving Garland to LA a better move than maybe Baltimore for Tejada?

ND_Sox_Fan
12-12-2007, 12:56 PM
Just breaking on ESPN (http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=3151849).

In return for the four-time All-Star, the Orioles will get outfielder Luke Scott (http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/players/profile?statsId=7521), pitchers Matt Albers (http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/players/profile?statsId=7820), Troy Patton (http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/players/profile?statsId=7962) and Dennis Sarfate (http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/players/profile?statsId=7853), and third baseman Michael Costanzo.

Sockinchisox
12-12-2007, 12:58 PM
Thats a pretty decent haul for a declining shortstop, now the Astros have 0 prospects in their system.

Edit: Costanzo was the other player they got in the Lidge trade, just thought I'd point that out.

munchman33
12-12-2007, 01:02 PM
now the Astros have 0 prospects in their system.

Now we're 29! WOOT!

chaerulez
12-12-2007, 01:02 PM
Thats a pretty decent haul for a declining shortstop, now the Astros have 0 prospects in their system.

The Astros are a pretty bad organization, they didn't get enough for Lidge and they overpaid for Kaz Matsui and like you said trading five players for a declining player who possibly could have been on steroids.

champagne030
12-12-2007, 01:04 PM

No way would I have included Patton in that deal. The 'stros got hosed.

russ99
12-12-2007, 01:06 PM
Just breaking on ESPN (http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=3151849).

In return for the four-time All-Star, the Orioles will get outfielder Luke Scott (http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/players/profile?statsId=7521), pitchers Matt Albers (http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/players/profile?statsId=7820), Troy Patton (http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/players/profile?statsId=7962) and Dennis Sarfate (http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/players/profile?statsId=7853), and third baseman Michael Costanzo.

Wow, that's a huge haul for the Orioles.

Troy Patton's the big score, he's the Astros top pitching prospect. The Astros are now short 2 starters. Albers is no slouch either and Sarfate is a middle reliever nabbed from the Brewers and Constanzo was a throw in in the Bourn/Lidge deal.

Makes me wonder what Wade has lined up for Everett and Burke, as both are probably going to be traded after this, hopefully for pitching.

Say what you want about Tejada, but I expect him to do very well in the NL for a (now) contender and especially well in that ballpark.

Blueprint1
12-12-2007, 01:07 PM
Seems like Houston gave a lot up for him.

Tekijawa
12-12-2007, 01:10 PM
Looks like they want to compete with us this year, also.

munchman33
12-12-2007, 01:10 PM
I don't really think Houston overpaid, in that this was the only way the Orioles trade Tejada. His contract is very much under market value.

The Astros are definately better than they were last year. Add another starter and they might win that division.

Sockinchisox
12-12-2007, 01:11 PM
This might look especially bad tomorrow when Tejada could be exposed.

schmitty9800
12-12-2007, 01:12 PM
Tejada might not be "done" but I don't see him getting back to .300/.355/.500 like he did from 2002-2006. Houston gave up too much.

It's Time
12-12-2007, 01:12 PM

Well, the Orioles are moving their players. IMO, Roberts is next to go in some kind of package with Bedard.

This was a solid move for the O's.

SoxSpeed22
12-12-2007, 01:13 PM
Good trade for Baltimore. Once the steroid bomb is dropped, this might look better. They got the important prospects in Houston's system.

ilsox7
12-12-2007, 01:15 PM
No way would I have included Patton in that deal. The 'stros got hosed.

Can you explain in a sentence or two? I have zero clue about the Astros system, so I am curious who this guy is. Thanks!

Sockinchisox
12-12-2007, 01:17 PM
Can you explain in a sentence or two? I have zero clue about the Astros system, so I am curious who this guy is. Thanks!

Their top pitching prospect, his stock dropped a bit after last year, but he's still a good bet to be a middle of the rotation guy.

rowand33
12-12-2007, 01:21 PM
Astros going all in.

With Lee, Berkman, Matsui, Tejada, and Pence, they have a good line up.

I expect they'll sign a FA starter. They should be able to win the Central.

For those of you talking about how Tejada might show up in the report tomorrow, GMs already have the Mitchell Report.

So either he isn't in it or they didn't care.

russ99
12-12-2007, 01:21 PM
Good trade for Baltimore. Once the steroid bomb is dropped, this might look better. They got the important prospects in Houston's system.

MLB already has the report. I'd think Astros brass would know about Tejada's involvement before making the deal.

The Astros lineup looks awesome.

1 - Bourn CF
2 - Matsui - 2B
3 - Pence - RF
4 - Berkman - 1B
5 - Lee - LF
6 - Tejada - SS
7 - Wigginton - 3B
8 - Towles - C

They still need 2 starters and a closer, though, before nominating them as a good contending team.

johnnyg83
12-12-2007, 01:22 PM
Tejada may be declining, but the shift to the NL Central vs. the ALEast and to Minute Maid should breathe some new life into his bat.

ilsox7
12-12-2007, 01:23 PM
Their top pitching prospect, his stock dropped a bit after last year, but he's still a good bet to be a middle of the rotation guy.

Wow. Well, that division sucks, so they probably figure they can win it and then take their chances in the playoffs. Maybe they'll have the opportunity to lose 8 World Series games in a row!

The Milkman
12-12-2007, 01:23 PM
Looks like they want to compete with us this year, also.

Gem of a post...

rowand33
12-12-2007, 01:28 PM
MLB already has the report. I'd think Astros brass would know about Tejada's involvement before making the deal.

1 - Bourn CF
2 - Matsui - 2B
3 - Pence - RF
4 - Berkman - 1B
5 - Lee - LF
6 - Tejada - SS
7 - Wigginton - 3B
8 - Towles - C

They still need 2 starters and a closer, though, before nominating them as a good contending team.

Will Towles start? What about Brad Awesome-ness? Didn't they resign him?

Also, I guess they could cut Wiggington, slide Tejada to 3B, and keep Everett. I don't know why they'd do that though.

I'm assuming Qualls will close and they'll sign one free agent pitcher.

Making the staff:

Oswalt
Williams
Backe
Rodriguez
FA

which could work out fine.

In the context of this season, I like this trade for the astros.

Sockinchisox
12-12-2007, 01:32 PM

Also, I guess they could cut Wiggington, slide Tejada to 3B, and keep Everett. I don't know why they'd do that though.

Making the staff:

Oswalt
Williams
Backe
Rodriguez
FA

I read somewhere a while ago that Ausmus was going to be the back-up and Towles will probably be the starter.

russ99
12-12-2007, 01:37 PM

Making the staff:

Oswalt
Williams
Backe
Rodriguez
FA

Yes, Towles (I prefer the nickname "towlie") is pencilled in to start. Ausmus was re-signed to mentor the kid and be the personal catcher for Oswalt.

Wigginton could be moved, and Everett just might be non-tendered tonight. I think Wigginton-Tejada is better both on offense and defense. Everett's coming off a broken leg and just plain sucks as hitter, so he'll likely be the one to go.

They haven't named Qualls the closer yet, and Wade is supposedly going after the likes of Cordero, Mahay and Affeldt. :rolleyes:

As for starters, Woody Williams is a #5 at best, and I'd like to see Wade deal the inconsistent Wandy Rodriguez who's terrific at home, and awful on the road.

I think a deal for a #3 (or maybe re-signing Jennings) with the leftovers (Burke, Everett/Wigginton, Wandy?) and prospects along with signing Livan Hernandez would fill out the starting staff nicely.

The key to the rotation is Brandon Backe, expected to be fully back after Tommy John surgery a year and a half ago.

KRS1
12-12-2007, 01:41 PM
I read somewhere a while ago that Ausmus was going to be the back-up and Towles will probably be the starter.

Towles is their future behind the plate, and it appears he is ready to get the starting job. I don't know if they plan on handing it to him next year, but it would make sense.

downstairs
12-12-2007, 01:45 PM
This might look especially bad tomorrow when Tejada could be exposed.

I'm surprised anyone is making ANY trades this week and maybe last. I mean... sheesh... hold out just so you have all the info on a player.

Then, if he's on the list, maybe it doesn't matter to you?

russ99
12-12-2007, 01:45 PM
Towles is their future behind the plate, and it appears he is ready to get the starting job. I don't know if they plan on handing it to him next year, but it would make sense.

The good thing about handing the the job to Towles, is that if he doesn't perform up to what they expect is they have decent prospects in Sapp and Santangelo about 2 years away who could take his spot.

Ausmus is really declining and the catcher market is thin, so this is a good a time as any to see if the kid pans out.

ilsox7
12-12-2007, 01:46 PM
I'm surprised anyone is making ANY trades this week and maybe last. I mean... sheesh... hold out just so you have all the info on a player.

Then, if he's on the list, maybe it doesn't matter to you?

GMs already have the report.

duke of dorwood
12-12-2007, 01:51 PM

Edit: Costanzo was the other player they got in the Lidge trade, just thought I'd point that out.

1 - Bourn CF
2 - Matsui - 2B
3 - Pence - RF
4 - Berkman - 1B
5 - Lee - LF
6 - Tejada - SS
7 - Wigginton - 3B
8 - Towles - C

Remember what division they're in

russ99
12-12-2007, 01:52 PM
Remember what division they're in

Yeah, but parading out the likes of Wandy and Williams every 5th day they still may not slug their way to a title.

soxinem1
12-12-2007, 01:55 PM

Making the staff:

Oswalt
Williams
Backe
Rodriguez
FA

All around, that is the weakest starting staff in the division. No way do they win with this crew, even if the FA is Clemens.

Plus, Qualls as the closer? Hmmm, since they got next to nothing for Lidge, maybe they should bring Octavio Dotel back for an encore.

KRS1
12-12-2007, 02:01 PM
Yeah, but parading out the likes of Wandy and Williams every 5th day they still may not slug their way to a title.

Wandy would be fine in the fifth slot. Woody being their #2-3 is downright awful. How dumb were they to trade Hirsh last year for a one year rental? The answer.... VERY.

chisox77
12-12-2007, 02:05 PM
I think the Astros made a deal to contend now, and in that division, they may as well. Their line-up looks great, but they may need another arm to tighten up the rotation. But I would put them even with the Cubs at this point.

It's Time
12-12-2007, 02:06 PM
No pitching= no playoffs.

http://www.thesportsexaminer.com/webapp/images/stories/TSXpix/200-mora_jim.gif
"Playoffs? With that rotation, you kidding me? I just hope they can win a game"

soxfan13
12-12-2007, 02:16 PM
Oh my god why didnt kenny do something? Why couldnt he have traded for tejada I know we have a shortstop but jeez you think williams could just do something right this off season. Fire Kenny, hes a jerk, blow up the park I think we should just forfeit the season and close up shop. UGHHHHHHHHH I need a beer :tongue::gulp:

getonbckthr
12-12-2007, 05:03 PM
I'm guessing his name won't be released tommorow.

santo=dorf
12-12-2007, 05:11 PM
So since the majority of WSI thinks Cabrera is a better player than Tejada, who would've traded Garland for that package, or would've traded Cabrera for that package?

ComiskeyBrewer
12-12-2007, 05:23 PM
Nice to see Houston still has a dumb F.O. Seriously, they are going to move A pretty good Defensive SS in Everett over so Tejada can play SS(Rosenthal has just reported that Tejada will be playing SS.)? Ouch. Sure, this helps the Astros offense, but thier starting pitching is gonna be really bad outside of Oswalt.

russ99
12-12-2007, 05:29 PM
Nice to see Houston still has a dumb F.O. Seriously, they are going to move A pretty good Defensive SS in Everett over so Tejada can play SS(Rosenthal has just reported that Tejada will be playing SS.)? Ouch. Sure, this helps the Astros offense, but thier starting pitching is gonna be really bad outside of Oswalt.

Actually Adam Everett will be non-tendered (released) by the Astros tonight. Ed Wade announced it in the press conference for the Tejada deal.

He's probably the worst everyday-playing hitter in the majors and the Astros think he's lost a step defensively after breaking his leg this season.

That also may justify trading 5 players for Tejada, although Scott's the only guy who will really help the Orioles this year, Patton's a good prospect but Hirsh was much better, Albers is a bottom of the rotation guy or long reliever, and the rest are throw-ins. The Astros got a pretty good player and rid themselves (in their eyes) of a bunch of question marks.

Oswalt, Backe, a FA/Jennings, Wandy and Williams isn't so horrible, but it's not great either. They also still have Chris Sampson, but he's below Albers as far as prospect quality.

thomas35forever
12-12-2007, 06:26 PM
Good solution for the 'stros at SS. However, we'll have to see who'll regret their trade more over the next few years, the Tigers or the 'stros.

ComiskeyBrewer
12-12-2007, 07:28 PM
Oswalt, Backe, a FA/Jennings, Wandy and Williams isn't so horrible, but it's not great either. They also still have Chris Sampson, but he's below Albers as far as prospect quality.

Woody Williams had an ERA of over 5.20 last year, and is on the wrong side of 30, Jennings had an ERA of almost 6.30, Wandy and Chris Sampson had ERAs of 4.5 each(while not bad and could become better, they aren't exactly world beaters). Outside of Oswalt, i wouldn't want any of these guys outside of maybe a #4/5. Backe started 13 games the last two years. I donno if they can really count on him to be back to form(4.76 in the only year he has ever pitched more than 44 innings in a year)

As a fan of an opposing NLC team, that doesn't exactly strike fear in me. Infact, it might be the worst starting rotation in the Central division, by a wide margin.

Hagan
12-12-2007, 07:39 PM
What a bad trade for the Astros. Tejada is probably going to end up at 3rd base in a year or two and his numbers keep going down. His ops last year was .799 and the astros gave up way to much for a hitter like that even if he plays short stop. Luke Scott is a solid hitter who can hit from both sides of the plate. He himself is a better hitter but of course an outfielder. I think Patton can be a #2 starter if he reaches his ceiling but more likely a #3/4ish. Alberts has some talent and was the AAA pitcher of the year a year ago and sarfate could become a solid reliever if he gets some control. Finally i think Costanzo could be a fairly good 3rd baseman. By no means an all star but a guy who can have an ops around 800-820.

I havent read anything about the Os eating money on this deal but they better have because the Astros got pretty ripped off.

BadBobbyJenks
12-12-2007, 07:55 PM
With the sorry state the astros farm system is in IF they go out and sign a couple pitchers like colon benson or clement and they work out, I like the deal. That line up is pretty solid in the nl central. Why not go for broke and blow it up if it doesnt work.

PalehosePlanet
12-12-2007, 09:17 PM
Actually Adam Everett will be non-tendered (released) by the Astros tonight. Ed Wade announced it in the press conference for the Tejada deal.

He's probably the worst everyday-playing hitter in the majors and the Astros think he's lost a step defensively after breaking his leg this season.

That also may justify trading 5 players for Tejada, although Scott's the only guy who will really help the Orioles this year, Patton's a good prospect but Hirsh was much better, Albers is a bottom of the rotation guy or long reliever, and the rest are throw-ins. The Astros got a pretty good player and rid themselves (in their eyes) of a bunch of question marks.

I agree, you'd figure McPhail could have gotten better. He still seems to be in Cub mode getting quantity over quality. Patton is the only decent prospect here, the rest are all busters. At best Costanza we'll be a Wiggington type and he's the second best player in the return.

Yuck....maybe we should call McPhail soon.

ode to veeck
12-13-2007, 04:27 PM
http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news;_ylt=As3jaHLR_jY9pjGnb8vr44E5nYcB?slug=ap-astros-oriolestrade&prov=ap&type=lgns

no mention if drugs were part of the deal

ode to veeck
12-13-2007, 05:15 PM
http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news;_ylt=As3jaHLR_jY9pjGnb8vr44E5nYcB?slug=ap-astros-oriolestrade&prov=ap&type=lgns

no mention if drugs were part of the deal

oops, looked for but didn't see the original thread