PDA

View Full Version : Spending

GrayeDog
12-12-2007, 10:05 AM
I've been reading this site for a long, long time, and never felt the need to post, but I feel like I need to comment on this offseason, because there's a lot of people out there that don't seem to get that there's more to spending than Reinsdorf's supposed "cheapness". Everyone one this board that's down on Kenny for not overpaying is also upset that Jose is on the hook for $10M after his skills have deteriorated. You can't have it both ways.

The reason we support Kenny in not grossly overpaying for players is not because it keeps the payroll low this year, it because it gives us a chance to be competitive in the future. I see a lot of people that don't seem to get that "this year" is not the only year, and you need to find a way to be competitive now AND in the future. Yes, our scouting/drafting has been abysmal since the strike (at best), and we should have developed more players/prospects. But if you want prospects like the Tigers, you're going to have to lose for a few years and stock them up. No one wants that, but you can't have the quality of prospects it takes to trade for Cabrera/Willis if you're going to try and win every year.

Along the same lines, maybe giving Fukudome $12M now seems great because maybe he'l be good, but in 2 years if he turns out to be a flop, that's $12M in the books. More and more, teams are realizing that salary dumps just do not happen -- if they did, we'd be rid of Uribe, and we could (if we wanted) find a new home for Jose. As many baseball people before me have said, you can overpay for stars. It's overpaying for average that kills you every time. The Rangers weren't in trouble because of the $25M they gave A-Rod, because he produced, they were in trouble for the inane contract they gave Chan-Ho Park. Stars are always tradeable if their contracts begin to handcuff the team. It's the mediocre players who can't contribute and can't be traded that kill teams like Texas and will kill the Cubs.

If you're willing to endure a few years of being a bad team, then by all means, let Kenny overpay and give it his best shot -- this has worked consistently for the Marlins, acquiring players, winning it all, then rebuilding from scratch. But Marlins fans can deal with a 65-win season, and they've won the WS a few times. Is it going to be worth it if the White Sox go for broke in 2008 against a tough AL Central (or in any year, actually), don't win the WS, and suffer through a streak of 65-75 win seasons? After all the frustration this season caused -- and this is just one disappointing season, not a bunch like what the Tigers suffered through to reach where they are now -- is it worth it? Yes, a World Series goes a long way to justify it, but there's no guarantees. All you can do is try your best to be competitive now and competitive later. And overpaying for average players sacrifices being competitive later for being competitive now.

white sox bill
12-12-2007, 10:24 AM
Welome aboad! First, please use paragraphs please. Now let me read your post

oeo
12-12-2007, 10:29 AM
Good first post...I've been trying to preach this for awhile now.

I think the biggest problem is people are seeing our rivals looking pretty good, and we all want to be there. But we're going to sacrifice our future to even be given that shot.

white sox bill
12-12-2007, 10:30 AM
I think I get the jist of what your saying...times have changed and a team with free agency, can go from worst to first in one season.I don;t like the idea of a second mortgage of our team, although winning it all in 05 gas tajen the edge off it a bit.