PDA

View Full Version : Interesting news on Sox/Rowand out of a Fukudome/Cubs article...

WhiteSoxFan84
12-12-2007, 03:49 AM
The White Sox could have matched the Cubs, but general manager Ken Williams didn't seem motivated to get into a bidding war with his crosstown rivals, focusing instead on former Sox outfielder Aaron Rowand.

Linky (http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/cs-071211cubs,0,846965.story?coll=chi_sports_util)

My question is, why not sign them both? Or at least get Fukudome and then worry about getting Rowand (which is the more unlikely of the two... wait.. now it's the only possibility and it remains unlikely). Last I checked, we need two outfielders, not just one.

MUsoxfan
12-12-2007, 03:52 AM
Linky (http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/cs-071211cubs,0,846965.story?coll=chi_sports_util)

My question is, why not sign them both?

You're kidding me, right?

WhiteSoxFan84
12-12-2007, 03:54 AM
You're kidding me, right?

You don't want both? I know the answer to my original question is "because we can't afford them" but why not? I'd love to see KW lose control and be fed up enough of being smacked around like the second rate ***** he's been this offseason and just tell JR, "I'm giving fukudome 12.5 per for 4 years and I'm giving rowand 14 per for 5 years". if they suck, so what. they don't mind paying contreras 10mill+ for the next to years, what would be the difference if fukudome and/or rowand sucked?

cards press box
12-12-2007, 03:54 AM

My question is, why not sign them both? Or at least get Fukudome and then worry about getting Rowand (which is the more unlikely of the two... wait.. now it's the only possibility and it remains unlikely). Last I checked, we need two outfielders, not just one.

Rowand and Fukodome would not have worked unless the Sox also acquired a 2nd baseman to lead off. If the Sox sign Rowand and trade for Chone Figgins, then they would have options. Figgins could play everyday at either LF or 2B with Guillen mixing and matching Carlos Quentin, Danny Richar and Jerry Owens, depending upon the matchup.

ilsox7
12-12-2007, 03:56 AM
You don't want both? I know the answer to my original question is "because we can't afford them" but why not? I'd love to see KW lose control and be fed up enough of being smacked around like the second rate ***** he's been this offseason and just tell JR, "I'm giving fukudome 12.5 per for 4 years and I'm giving rowand 14 per for 5 years". if they suck, so what. they don't mind paying contreras 10mill+ for the next to years, what would be the difference if fukudome and/or rowand sucked?

Signing both would have meant goodbye PK.

WhiteSoxFan84
12-12-2007, 03:57 AM
Rowand and Fukodome would not have worked unless the Sox also acquired a 2nd baseman to lead off. If the Sox sign Rowand and trade for Chone Figgins, then they would have options. Figgins could play everyday at either LF or 2B with Guillen mixing and matching Carlos Quentin, Danny Richar and Jerry Owens, depending upon the matchup.

joe crede for chone figgins and a prospect? new lineup...

Figgins - 2B
Cabrera - SS
Thome - DH
Konerko - 1B
Fukudome - RF
Dye - LF
Rowand - CF
Fields - 3B
Pierzynski - C

wow.................................. just wow....................

ilsox7
12-12-2007, 03:57 AM

Figgins - 2B
Cabrera - SS
Thome - DH
Konerko - 1B
Fukudome - RF
Dye - LF
Rowand - CF
Fields - 3B
Pierzynski - C

How about Contreras for Peavy?

MUsoxfan
12-12-2007, 03:58 AM

So you're saying you don't care if the Sox toss $100m at 2 players to watch them suck? Wow

WhiteSoxFan84
12-12-2007, 04:00 AM

why is that? we had $15 mill per to spend on Hunter but we can't spend $26.5 per on two very servicable players? Want to make up that additional 11.5 mill per, trade contreras, uribe, and a prospect for NOTHING. dump the salaries and throw in the prospect to get a team to help you out.

and depending on what we get back for PK, would you really have minded that happening? there are station-to-station, .275/30 HR/100 RBI producing, average fielding first basemen all across baseball.

ilsox7
12-12-2007, 04:02 AM
why is that? we had $15 mill per to spend on Hunter but we can't spend $26.5 per on two very servicable players? Want to make up that additional 11.5 mill per, trade contreras, uribe, and a prospect for NOTHING. dump the salaries and throw in the prospect to get a team to help you out.

and depending on what we get back for PK, would you really have minded that happening? there are station-to-station, .275/30 HR/100 RBI producing, average fielding first basemen all across baseball.

I don't mind trading PK for the right package. But your idea of a salary dump will not happen. If it would, Uribe would already be out of town.

WhiteSoxFan84
12-12-2007, 04:02 AM

wow.... you're comparing figgins for crede to contreras for peavy??? figgins had one GREAT year last year and every other year he's been just above average. 100 Ks and an OBP that barely climbs over .350 for a leadoff man isn't helpful.

cards press box
12-12-2007, 04:03 AM

Figgins - 2B
Cabrera - SS
Thome - DH
Konerko - 1B
Fukudome - RF
Dye - LF
Rowand - CF
Fields - 3B
Pierzynski - C

Just a year ago, Carlos Quentin was one of the top outfield prospects in the MLB. Like Fukodome, his playing time was limited by injury. Unlike Fukodome (who is 30 and suffered an injury to his throwing elbow), Quentin is 25 and suffered an injury to his non-throwing shoulder which nonetheless messed up his swing and limited his season.

I have seen Quentin play right field and he is a good player. If the Sox sign Rowand and trade Crede for Figgins, then they will still have the lineup you posted with the substitution Quentin for Fukodome. That's still a pretty good lineup and a whole lot better than what the Sox ran out there most of last year.

ilsox7
12-12-2007, 04:03 AM
wow.... you're comparing figgins for crede to contreras for peavy??? figgins had one GREAT year last year and every other year he's been just above average. 100 Ks and an OBP that barely climbs over .350 for a leadoff man isn't helpful.

And you think we'll get a solid major leaguer for a guy who had back surgery 6 months ago and has not seen competitive baseball since.

WhiteSoxFan84
12-12-2007, 04:05 AM
So you're saying you don't care if the Sox toss $100m at 2 players to watch them suck? Wow

it'd be refreshing just to see it happen. not the them sucking part, but the Sox actually committing to two players in the same offseason for that much money. if every gm was a pessimist like you and many other sox fans and just assumed every player we sign would suck, then no player would ever get a multi-year deal. but there is this thing called risk that comes with every player and every contract. im tired of my team using the cautious approach. i want to see my team grow a pair and go balls out just one offseason during my lifetime. spend $350 million in two offseasons like the northsiders have done so far this offseason and last. i would welcome that concept once in a while.

WhiteSoxFan84
12-12-2007, 04:08 AM
Just a year ago, Carlos Quentin was one of the top outfield prospects in the MLB. Like Fukodome, his playing time was limited by injury. Unlike Fukodome (who is 30 and suffered an injury to his throwing elbow), Quentin is 25 and suffered an injury to his non-throwing shoulder which nonetheless messed up his swing and limited his season.

I have seen Quentin play right field and he is a good player. If the Sox sign Rowand and trade Crede for Figgins, then they will still have the lineup you posted with the substitution Quentin for Fukodome. That's still a pretty good lineup and a whole lot better than what the Sox ran out there most of last year.

ok, im not going to continue replying here, but please tell me you're not comparing quentin's track record in the minors to fukudome's track record in japan? yes neither the minors nor japan are at the same level of competition as the MLs, but japan is a lotttt closer than the minors are. and fukudome has done it a lot longer. i wish quentin develops into what he was projected to be a year or two ago, dont get me wrong, but id still rather have fukudome.

ilsox7
12-12-2007, 04:08 AM
it'd be refreshing just to see it happened. not them sucking part, but the Sox actually committing to two players in the same offseason for that much money. if every gm was a pessimist like you and many other sox fans and just assumed every player we sign would suck, then no player would ever get a multi-year deal. but there is this thing called risk that comes with every player and every contract. im tired of my team using the cautious approach. i want to see my team grow a pair and go balls out just one offseason during my lifetime. spend $350 million in two offseasons like the northsiders have done so far this offseason and last. i would welcome that concept once in a while.

They dropped $78MM during the season. If they sign Rowand for $50MM, that's a pretty good chunk of change.

WhiteSoxFan84
12-12-2007, 04:11 AM
They dropped $78MM during the season. If they sign Rowand for $50MM, that's a pretty good chunk of change.

that's a big if my friend. do you honestly believe it'll happen?
i hope so. im off to bed. nice to have you guys awake to help me get some of this off my chest. i love this team but man......... this has to be one of the worst offseasons, if not the worst, ive ever experienced with this team.

ilsox7
12-12-2007, 04:13 AM
that's a big if my friend. do you honestly believe it'll happen?
i hope so. im off to bed. nice to have you guys awake to help me get some of this off my chest. i love this team but man......... this has to be one of the worst offseasons, if not the worst, ive ever experienced with this team.

I think they will sign him. They are pretty much backed into a corner now, though.

MUsoxfan
12-12-2007, 04:20 AM
it'd be refreshing just to see it happen. not the them sucking part, but the Sox actually committing to two players in the same offseason for that much money. if every gm was a pessimist like you and many other sox fans and just assumed every player we sign would suck, then no player would ever get a multi-year deal. but there is this thing called risk that comes with every player and every contract. im tired of my team using the cautious approach. i want to see my team grow a pair and go balls out just one offseason during my lifetime. spend $350 million in two offseasons like the northsiders have done so far this offseason and last. i would welcome that concept once in a while.

I'm not saying they're gonna suck. I think both of them will be fine, but it would be foolish for the Sox to drop $100m+ on those two players. I was just responding to your statement that you wouldn't care if they sucked, so long as the Sox just throw bags of money at them to watch them do so.

There's a difference between taking a risk and being foolish. Quentin is a risk. Throwing $100m+ in long term deals at Rowand and a player that's never seen MLB pitching would simply be foolish.

Money spent DOES NOT equal championships. I don't know why people assume it does.

WhiteSoxFan84
12-12-2007, 04:24 AM
if you guys aren't angry enough yet.... read this wonderful piece of work (http://www.suntimes.com/sports/mariotti/692602,mariotti121107b.article). take a wilddd guess at who it's by. think sun-times and think crap. will this guy ever drop his beef with reinsdorf and the sox? wow, how immature.
and now im officially off to bed.

the domer?? lol, oh man, whom ever thought this tool had talent is hopefully no longer employed by anyone, ANYWHERE, so he never hires crap in the form of a human like this ever again.

Grzegorz
12-12-2007, 05:43 AM
it'd be refreshing just to see it happen. not the them sucking part, but the Sox actually committing to two players in the same offseason for that much money.

Using others' money to spend on others... Where have I heard that before?

You don't want both? I know the answer to my original question is "because we can't afford them" but why not? I'd love to see KW lose control and be fed up enough of being smacked around like the second rate ***** he's been this offseason and just tell JR, "I'm giving fukudome 12.5 per for 4 years and I'm giving rowand 14 per for 5 years".

Smacked around by whom?

Making moves for the sake of looking active is disturbing.

santo=dorf
12-12-2007, 06:37 AM
joe crede for chone figgins and a prospect?
That would be an ATROCIOUS trade for the Angels. Just when I thought Crede couldn't get any more overrated.

Flight #24
12-12-2007, 07:57 AM
Back on topic, if rumors of Rowand's demands are true (most recent things I saw were along the lines of 5/$65), then I could see Kenny pursuing Fukudome and then when the Cubs anted up to 4/$52 saying "at that price I might as well sign Rowand who's more of a known quantity and a clubhouse leader to boot".

I still stand by the team needing to sign an FA OF. And about the only halfway decent one left out there is Rowand. The good news is that he hasn't exactly had a bidding war break out for him. The bad news is that he's the only one left and so any team looking to add someone will be looking at him.

spiffie
12-12-2007, 08:01 AM
I'm not saying they're gonna suck. I think both of them will be fine, but it would be foolish for the Sox to drop $100m+ on those two players. I was just responding to your statement that you wouldn't care if they sucked, so long as the Sox just throw bags of money at them to watch them do so.

There's a difference between taking a risk and being foolish. Quentin is a risk. Throwing $100m+ in long term deals at Rowand and a player that's never seen MLB pitching would simply be foolish.

Money spent DOES NOT equal championships. I don't know why people assume it does.
Because money is the only way for the Sox to significantly upgrade, as it seems unlikely that an OF of Quentin, Owens, Dye, and a 3-5 rotation of Contreras, Danks, Floyd equals championships either.

Garland_IS_God
12-12-2007, 09:37 AM

Figgins - 2B
Cabrera - SS
Thome - DH
Konerko - 1B
Fukudome - RF
Dye - LF
Rowand - CF
Fields - 3B
Pierzynski - C

It aint gonna happen! Crede's stock is low until Spring Training...Nobody will take him until he proves he's healthy.

russ99
12-12-2007, 11:36 AM
Back on topic, if rumors of Rowand's demands are true (most recent things I saw were along the lines of 5/$65), then I could see Kenny pursuing Fukudome and then when the Cubs anted up to 4/$52 saying "at that price I might as well sign Rowand who's more of a known quantity and a clubhouse leader to boot".

I still stand by the team needing to sign an FA OF. And about the only halfway decent one left out there is Rowand. The good news is that he hasn't exactly had a bidding war break out for him. The bad news is that he's the only one left and so any team looking to add someone will be looking at him.

Since the Dodgers, Rangers, Cubs and Angels are set in the OF, who's left to bid against the Sox?

He won't be going back to the Phillies, and I'd doubt he'd go to the Royals or Twins for the same reasons as Torii wouldn't go to the Sox. The Padres would rather re-sign Cameron. I guess the Giants are the only team left.

There's not many teams left who want a high-priced guy for CF, looks like a perfect fit for the Sox if they can go up a bit on money and Aaron would back down on that 5th year.

rowand33
12-12-2007, 11:50 AM

I laughed so hard at this I almost spit coffee all over my monitor...

Seriously, why do people think Crede has so much value?

I like the guy too, but as far as the rest of the league is concerned, the only difference between Joe Crede and Brandon Inge is that Joe Crede's health is a question mark...

The only name player we can get for Crede is Pierre, IMO, and that's because he isn't wanted in LA.

Otherwise, he will net us a mid-grade prospect.

munchman33
12-12-2007, 11:58 AM
That would be an ATROCIOUS trade for the Angels. Just when I thought Crede couldn't get any more overrated.

No kidding. We'd have to throw in Gio to start that conversation.

oeo
12-12-2007, 11:58 AM
i love this team but man......... this has to be one of the worst offseasons, if not the worst, ive ever experienced with this team.

We hear the same thing every year. Well, Kenny has done more to improve the team this offseason, than he did the entire last offseason. So *****...

munchman33
12-12-2007, 12:00 PM
We hear the same thing every year. Well, Kenny has done more to improve the team this offseason, than he did the entire last offseason. So *****...

By my count, he's added two today pieces, one tomorrow piece, and removed one big today piece. That to a 90 loss team. So you *****. Now is the time to complain, because we're a bad team losing hope to improve by the day.

asindc
12-12-2007, 12:01 PM

Figgins - 2B
Cabrera - SS
Thome - DH
Konerko - 1B
Fukudome - RF
Dye - LF
Rowand - CF
Fields - 3B
Pierzynski - C

No wonder you think KW has done a terrible job this offseason, if you think he can pull off trades like this. I had to reread your post to make sure I hadn't read it wrong the first time. Now if you had said "Crede and a prospect for Figgins," that might have been plausible. No way, however, that the LAAAAAAA even entertains your proposal. Even if Crede was completely healthy, you would have a difficult time getting LAAAAAA to trade Figgins for Crede straight up. "Wow" is right.:rolleyes:

Zisk77
12-12-2007, 12:28 PM
Hypothetically speaking, imagine kenny had matched the $crubs offer for Fukudome. Don't you think the cubs would have just then came way over the top of that offer? Lets face it the cubs are Fukudome... screwed up in the dome (head).

btrain929
12-12-2007, 12:30 PM
Since the Dodgers, Rangers, Cubs and Angels are set in the OF, who's left to bid against the Sox?

He won't be going back to the Phillies, and I'd doubt he'd go to the Royals or Twins for the same reasons as Torii wouldn't go to the Sox. The Padres would rather re-sign Cameron. I guess the Giants are the only team left.

There's not many teams left who want a high-priced guy for CF, looks like a perfect fit for the Sox if they can go up a bit on money and Aaron would back down on that 5th year.

The Padres can. Also, the Rangers had the highest bid out for Fukudome according to Levine, but he just didn't want to play there. So that's 2 suitors right there. You can throw the Giants into that mix as well.

WhiteSoxFan84
12-12-2007, 12:44 PM

In the 2006 offseason we were coming off of a 90 WIN season, how much more improvement did we need?

In this 2007 offseason, we are coming off of a 90 LOSS season, we need a ****load of improvement!

We traded away arguably our best starter in the last 3 seasons, or 2nd best. We still have Uribe on the team making $4.5 mill per, someone has to explain that to me someday! We still have no leadoff man and don't try to sell owens off to me as the answer.

Its the same crap over and over. Some of you just refuse to realize that thus far this offseason our GM has come off as incompetent and over confident. What has that led to SO FAR (I'm not overlooking the face that we're only in December, but the market has run dry with all the cream being scooped up already) this offseason? About 85-95 projected losses in 2008.

All I ask for is that KW play on a playing field he knows he can compete on. As much as I wanted Hunter, I always had my doubts about us getting him. Come on, the best free agent on the market coming to the Sox??? What was I thinking! Even worse, what was Kenny thinking? Set your sights on realistic goals. Winning a championship is realistic since it happened two years ago, but setting your sights on guys like Hunter and Cabrera and Fukudome without the intentions of fully going after them and getting into a bidding war for them? Why build your hopes up knowing they'll get crushed?

I hope this team overperforms and proves me wrong. There isn't much left in the market to say "ehhhh, it's only december 12th". I had high hopes for this offseason, provided for me by KW. Now..... that I realize we have to settle for "best available".... let's just say I CAN wait for the season to start.

WhiteSoxFan84
12-12-2007, 12:46 PM
The Padres can. Also, the Rangers had the highest bid out for Fukudome according to Levine, but he just didn't want to play there. So that's 2 suitors right there. You can throw the Giants into that mix as well.

Moronotti claims that Rowand is "San Francisco-bound".
So cross them off your list, but that still leaves you with San Diego and Texas whom I think both are more serious about Rowand that we are.
Prove me wrong KW/JR.

gosox41
12-12-2007, 12:48 PM
Hypothetically speaking, imagine kenny had matched the $crubs offer for Fukudome. Don't you think the cubs would have just then came way over the top of that offer? Lets face it the cubs are Fukudome... screwed up in the dome (head).

I'm all for driving the price up for the Cubs. Let them overpay.

I don't think Fukudome will be a flop. I think he'll be a good sign.

Bob

munchman33
12-12-2007, 12:48 PM

The Rowand camp is waiting on the Yankees. The Yanks will inevitably trade for either Santana or Haren. Either deal would have to involve Melky Cabrera, meaning they'll need a CF.

Sargeant79
12-12-2007, 12:53 PM
I hope this team overperforms and proves me wrong. There isn't much left in the market to say "ehhhh, it's only december 12th". I had high hopes for this offseason, provided for me by KW. Now..... that I realize we have to settle for "best available".... let's just say I CAN wait for the season to start.

While I understand the sentiment, it was a thin free agent crop to begin with this year. Signing the best available free agents meant paying a lot of money for a talent level that is not propotional to the likely return. And that will still be the case if the Sox wind up signing Rowand to a $50 million+ deal.

So while the cream of a thin crop has been snatched up already, we have to remember that the trade market has no timetable. Kenny still has his work cut out for him, make no mistake. I don't know he'll be able to make a big move or not, but it's not like possibilities have diminished in this area, save for the possibility (however remote it was) of Miguel Cabrera.

Lip Man 1
12-12-2007, 01:01 PM
What's strange is that this is written by Chris DeLuca & Joe Cowley in the Sun-Times story:

"According to a source with the Sox, they were told by Fukudomeís agent, Joe Urbon, that despite the higher bid by the Sox, the reasoning behind the decision was that Fukudome wanted to be an organizationís first Japanese player, as well as his desire to play his natural position of right field.
The Sox had him penciled in as a left fielder, and have already had two Japanese players on their roster in Shingo Takatsu and Tadahito Iguchi."

It seems like right now, no matter what Kenny tries, no matter what he spends or doesn't spend or what he offers up, it isn't happening. And sometimes apparently the reasons for it are beyond his control. Just typical Sox luck I guess.

Lip

oeo
12-12-2007, 01:19 PM
In the 2006 offseason we were coming off of a 90 WIN season, how much more improvement did we need?

In this 2007 offseason, we are coming off of a 90 LOSS season, we need a ****load of improvement!

Uhm, do you remember the needs? We needed a leadoff hitter (settled for Pods), a centerfielder (settled for Erstad), a bullpen (went young), an upgrade at SS (kept as is), an upgrade in the rotation (went younger). That team needed plenty of improvements. Without a great first half, that team would have had a very mediocre finish.

oeo
12-12-2007, 01:22 PM
It seems like right now, no matter what Kenny tries, no matter what he spends or doesn't spend or what he offers up, it isn't happening. And sometimes apparently the reasons for it are beyond his control. Just typical Sox luck I guess.

Lip

2007 can't end fast enough. From beginning to end, it's been a year of White Sox hell.

Zisk77
12-12-2007, 01:23 PM
I'm all for driving the price up for the Cubs. Let them overpay.

I don't think Fukudome will be a flop. I think he'll be a good sign.

Bob

My first thought to, but that also increases the market value of players... so we'd be cutting our own throat so to speak.

Stoky44
12-12-2007, 01:29 PM

Levine says the Sox did offer about the same as the Scrubs. However, Fukudome did not want to displace Dye from right field. Fukudome was just intrigued by the Cubs, and liked the idea of being their first Japanese player. Aparently Rangers offered the most money.

WhiteSoxFan84
12-12-2007, 01:29 PM
Uhm, do you remember the needs? We needed a leadoff hitter (settled for Pods), a centerfielder (settled for Erstad), a bullpen (went young), an upgrade at SS (kept as is), an upgrade in the rotation (went younger). That team needed plenty of improvements. Without a great first half, that team would have had a very mediocre finish.

90 losses = a lot more needs than 90 wins do.
you can breakdown at way in any language you want.

Domeshot17
12-12-2007, 01:39 PM
Shouldnt Kenny have known he wanted to be a teams first Japanese player and had to stay in RF? Aren't these things you learn the first time you talk with an agent? Maybe Fukudome's agent wasn't handling things right or just using it as a cop out.

Paulwny
12-12-2007, 01:48 PM
Shouldnt Kenny have known he wanted to be a teams first Japanese player and had to stay in RF? Aren't these things you learn the first time you talk with an agent? Maybe Fukudome's agent wasn't handling things right or just using it as a cop out.

Possibly Fukudome's agent didn't want to embarrass the Rangers or Sox by saying, He wanted to play for a contender.

AZChiSoxFan
12-12-2007, 03:50 PM
joe crede for chone figgins and a prospect?

:rolleyes:

Sure. Maybe KW can persuade the Halos to throw in Vlad as well.

:rolleyes:

Brewski
12-12-2007, 04:19 PM
Possibly Fukudome's agent didn't want to embarrass the Rangers or Sox by saying, He wanted to play for a contender.

Assume anything said by an agent is self-serving. You'll live longer and happier.

cards press box
05-26-2008, 06:06 PM
ok, im not going to continue replying here, but please tell me you're not comparing quentin's track record in the minors to fukudome's track record in japan?

I'm happy to say that Quentin is holding his own against just about everybody.

turners56
05-26-2008, 06:14 PM
I had heard that Fukudome didn't want to sign with the Sox because he wasn't going to be the first Japanese player on the team. The same goes for the Rangers who already had Akinori Otsuka. But the Cubs...they didn't have a Japanese player before. Hee Seop Choi was Korean btw, so he does not count.

I have no idea why you'd want to sign both Rowand and Fukudome. The Sox already have a $121 million payroll without them, would you like that to be bumped up to the likes of the Tigers at $138 million?

DickAllen72
05-26-2008, 11:33 PM
But the Cubs...they didn't have a Japanese player before. Hee Seop Choi was Korean btw, so he does not count.

:redneck

broker3d
05-27-2008, 10:49 AM

Let me get the door for him.