PDA

View Full Version : Jim Thome and Mark Buehrle a part of ESPN's year retrospective

Frontman
12-11-2007, 10:06 PM
What a year in sports, and even with the very poor performance out of the Sox, we did get to see at #50, Mark Buehrle honored along with the other no-hitters from this season.

Jim was a part of the 500 Home Run club, with Berman even doing a wacky nickname for him.

Kinda cool, made me want to head back to whitesox.com just to watch the videos yet again!

:D:

thomas35forever
12-11-2007, 11:16 PM
I think Burls' no-no was tied for 50th with Verlander's. Correct me if I'm wrong.

WhiteSox5187
12-11-2007, 11:28 PM
The team just flat out sucked last year but we had a lot of great individual highlights, Buerhle's no hitter, Thome's 500th and Jenks streak...very strange year.

Frontman
12-11-2007, 11:30 PM
I think Burls' no-no was tied for 50th with Verlander's. Correct me if I'm wrong.

ESPN did all 3 no-no's in one entry (which I can understand. How could you put Verlander's at 49, then Mark's at 50?)

SBSoxFan
12-12-2007, 09:28 AM
The team just flat out sucked last year but we had a lot of great individual highlights, Buerhle's no hitter, Thome's 500th and Jenks streak...very strange year.

Was Jenks' streak on there? That would be a huge oversight imo.

Frontman
12-12-2007, 03:16 PM
Was Jenks' streak on there? That would be a huge oversight imo.

If Jenks would have broken the record and they snubbed him, I can see it being an oversight. To tie a record, while a very cool thing, doesn't make him 'rare air' in a lot of people's minds.

Rockin Robin
12-12-2007, 03:22 PM
Jim was a part of the 500 Home Run club, with Berman even doing a wacky nickname for him.

Oh, good!

Frontman
12-12-2007, 03:24 PM
Oh, good!

:tealpolice:

Hey, you know you've made it if Berman makes up a nickname for you! That's a good thing!

(Ah, who am I kidding. It stunk that Thome hit #500 as a Sox player.)

SBSoxFan
12-12-2007, 10:24 PM
If Jenks would have broken the record and they snubbed him, I can see it being an oversight. To tie a record, while a very cool thing, doesn't make him 'rare air' in a lot of people's minds.

Maybe, but the record was what, 30 some years old? No hitters get thrown nearly every year.

JermaineDye05
12-12-2007, 10:26 PM
Maybe, but the record was what, 30 some years old? No hitters get thrown nearly every year.

and of course Bobby was a closer, making it that more impressive.

Frontman
12-12-2007, 10:32 PM
I'm just playing Devil's Advocate with why it wasn't mentioned. I certainly include it in my Chicago Sports retrospective for the year as a big moment.

WhiteSoxJunkie
12-12-2007, 11:10 PM
The thing is, retiring 41 consecutive batters is not a well known record. I can't even remember the name of the guy that Jenks tied. But pitching a no hitter is a well known accomplishment. That's why Buehrle was mentioned and not Bobby.

downstairs
12-13-2007, 10:09 AM
and of course Bobby was a closer, making it that more impressive.

Actually, that makes it much, much easier. Just like Shingo's "perfect game" of 27 straight- which a lot of closers have done. Its impressive, but nothing all that special.

SBSoxFan
12-20-2007, 12:23 PM
Actually, that makes it much, much easier. Just like Shingo's "perfect game" of 27 straight- which a lot of closers have done. Its impressive, but nothing all that special.

Not if I'm interpreting this right from the MLB.com article on Bobby Jenks (http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20071219&content_id=2333240&vkey=news_mlb&fext=.jsp&c_id=mlb):

Jenks ... didn't talk to the media after he had retired 27 straight until the streak's conclusion. But the offseason has presented Jenks time to reflect on such an amazing accomplishment, emerging as the only reliever on this historic list.

Of course, as you mentioned, shouldn't Shingo be on that list? :?: