PDA

View Full Version : Alex Rios?

thomas35forever
12-11-2007, 03:59 PM
Joe Cowley noted yesterday that the Sox could be interested in Alex Rios, but they don't have the right players to complete a deal. I'd like Rios. He's got a few years before he hits his prime. Imagine what he could bring to the ballclub.

oeo
12-11-2007, 04:01 PM
Joe Cowley noted yesterday that the Sox could be interested in Alex Rios, but they don't have the right players to complete a deal. I'd like Rios. He's got a few years before he hits his prime. Imagine what he could bring to the ballclub.

Technically we do have the players (they want a major league ready starter), but another hole in the rotation is not worth it.

JermaineDye05
12-11-2007, 04:03 PM
I'm sure the White Sox are interested in every player their low to mid 20's as good as Rios. Unfortunately they don't have the players or the flexibility to get these guys.

Domeshot17
12-11-2007, 04:09 PM
Jays offered Rios for Lincecum

we don't have a pitcher of that calibur who fits. The only one is Buehrle. Outside of him there just is not a stud pitching prospect from us. Danks would almost fit the bill if he did not die off last year.

oeo
12-11-2007, 04:24 PM
Jays offered Rios for Lincecum

Yeah, and the Giants laughed in their face.

palehosepub
12-11-2007, 05:09 PM
Give them Konerko and Brian Anderson.They wouldn't do that anyways.

Zisk77
12-11-2007, 05:23 PM
We must get him. If he screws ups, we can just blame it on Rios.

Jjav829
12-11-2007, 05:52 PM
Yeah, and the Giants laughed in their face.

They did? What do you know that everyone else doesn't?

Trading Lincecum, their promising right-hander, remains a possibility for the Giants, who sorely need a hitter of Rios' skill.
"It's still alive," Sabean said on Wednesday of the potential deal.
"It all has to be weighed because of the pain, when you're talking about the type of player you have to give up," Sabean said. "That's a loss that, in my mind, you won't be able to cover yourself. You can make adjustments internally in the rotation, but talent-wise, you're really taking a step back, present and future."

Addressing the deal in general terms, Sabean said, "There's really only one scenario which I spoke to yesterday which is intriguing. But not intriguing enough to pull the trigger. ... It's just one of the things we haven't shut off yet. There are some things we've shut off and some things we've kept alive. That's one that's still alive."

Sure doesn't sound like a laugh to me.

Anyway, I highly doubt we could trade for Rios. But if we could, I'd rather see Kenny turn him around for Lincecum if the Giants would do it.

Jjav829
12-11-2007, 05:55 PM

BTW, this is one of those nuggets that really isn't at all meaningful. Joe Cowley says the Sox are interested in Alex Rios? No ****. See, this is where Kenny's quote would be applicable. This is a player that 29 other teams would be interested in acquiring. Not Gavin freaking Floyd.

KyWhiSoxFan
12-11-2007, 06:21 PM
If we could trade a position player for Rios, maybe. But the Jays have said they want a pitcher for him and the Sox can ill afford to trade any pitching for hitting at this point. Pass.

steely712
12-11-2007, 07:58 PM
We can give them Contreres, and move Broadway up. Contreres might have had a bad year last year, but is still a viable 3 or 4 in almost any rotation

Fantosme
12-11-2007, 08:05 PM
We can give them Contreres, and move Broadway up. Contreres might have had a bad year last year, but is still a viable 3 or 4 in almost any rotation

Contreras is not even a viable 5 in any rotation. Kenny cannot even trade him for a 4th OF, let alone Rios. If Contreras starts slowly the Sox are better off just releasing him and promoting Gio or Broadway.

The only offer that I can see the Sox making for Rios is Danks + Fields.

spiffie
12-11-2007, 08:14 PM
We can give them Contreres, and move Broadway up. Contreres might have had a bad year last year, but is still a viable 3 or 4 in almost any rotation :wooty::lol::cheers::rolling::rolling::thumbsup:

I TOTALLY agree with this idea. I expect it will be happening tomorrow, since tomorrow is White Sox Wednesday!

PalehosePlanet
12-12-2007, 09:16 PM
Contreras is not even a viable 5 in any rotation. Kenny cannot even trade him for a 4th OF, let alone Rios. If Contreras starts slowly the Sox are better off just releasing him and promoting Gio or Broadway.

I'm not saying the Jays are crazy enough to trade Rios for Contreras, but I do expect a bounce back year from Jose. When he struggled he was throwing 87-88 mph, but come September he was in the 91-92 range and looked good again.

SoxNation05
12-12-2007, 09:26 PM
Why don't we go after Alex Rameriez, the CF from Cuba. We wont have to give up a top prospect for him. Just 12 million a year.

tanko
12-12-2007, 09:31 PM
Ricciardi must be dying to make a move like Kenny is.Not saying that means Rios to the Sox but he must be.

Sockinchisox
12-12-2007, 09:34 PM
Why don't we go after Alex Rameriez, the CF from Cuba. We wont have to give up a top prospect for him. Just 12 million a year.

I think he makes a ton of sense for us but he's doing terrible in Winter Ball and is having residency issues.

PalehosePlanet
12-12-2007, 09:39 PM

Is that what he's asking for? :o:

oeo
12-12-2007, 09:40 PM
They did? What do you know that everyone else doesn't?

Sure doesn't sound like a laugh to me.

Fine, he should have laughed in their face. Rios is good (and getting better), but you don't trade a pitcher of Lincecum's caliber, who is a)as young as he is and b)cheap as dirt, for an outfielder that will be due a lot of money in a couple of years.

Sabean is the same guy that traded Liriano, Nathan, and Bonser for Pierzynski, though.

Sockinchisox
12-12-2007, 09:41 PM
Is that what he's asking for? :o:

There is no report of any asking price for him.

QCIASOXFAN
12-12-2007, 10:04 PM
I'm not even quite sure that would be enough but its better then somebody saying Contreras for Rios.:rolleyes: Rios is going to be the next big thing.

Fantosme
12-12-2007, 10:23 PM
Rios for Lincecum is officially dead, due to the Rowand acquisition

per Rotoworld