PDA

View Full Version : Matt Wise

rowand33
12-11-2007, 08:00 AM
The Brewers may cut him after signing Gagne.

Rotoworld's report:

The Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel believes Matt Wise will be non-tendered prior to Wednesday's deadline.

Wise has worn No. 38 for the Brewers, but that uniform was given to Eric Gagne at Monday's press conference and no mention was made of Wise having surrendered it. We think this would be quite a mistake for the Brewers. Wise is easily a better bet than Guillermo Mota for 2008 and probably Salomon Torres, as well. He did struggle down the stretch on his way to a 4.19 ERA last season, but much of that was attributed to some mental issues after he threw a pitch that broke Pedro Lopez's cheekbone. He'll be a smart pickup if the Brewers let him go.
Source: Milwaukee Journal Sentinel (http://blogs.jsonline.com/brewers/archive/2007/12/10/torres-is-reporting.aspx)

I'd love for him to come to the Sox. 2.19 ERA in the first half. Could be a quality 7th inning guy for the Sox.

WSox597
12-11-2007, 09:37 AM
Go for it. He's got to be better than most of the mutts we trotted out there last year.

How could he be worse? :D:

munchman33
12-11-2007, 09:52 AM
I agree. I wouldn't mind if we signed this guy.

doctor30th
12-11-2007, 09:56 AM
I'm sure he won't be easy to get. Alot of teams have probably noticed this. He would be a great pick up though. I also remember reading that the Sox had interest in bringing Luis Vizcaino back. Either way they are great 7th inning guys. Wise would be the less expensive option of course.

Tekijawa
12-11-2007, 10:44 AM
But did he ever play for the Royals?

steely712
12-11-2007, 02:26 PM
If the Brewers are cutting him, he might not be all that good. They obviously did not think so themselves either if they went out and got Gagne.

AzureJazzMan
12-11-2007, 02:59 PM
Wise has been DFA'd by Milwaukee...Now, is the time to go after him and swap Phillips (our DFA) for Wise (their DFA)...I would think it's worth a shot.

mcp5185
12-11-2007, 03:15 PM
If the Brewers are cutting him, he might not be all that good. They obviously did not think so themselves either if they went out and got Gagne.

I saw a lot of Brewers games last year, and I think Wise would be a good pickup. He was awesome for the first half of the season. Even after the bean ball his .419 ERA was better than most of our bullpen last year. I think an offseason and a change of scenery could do this guy well.

kjhanson
12-11-2007, 03:35 PM
His career ERA+ is 1.08, which means he has been about 8% better than the rest of the league in terms of ERA. Besides for his rookie year, he has posted an ERA+ of over 1.00 in five of the last six years (the other year it was .98). So for those who believe in ERA, he's been very solid throughout his career. K:BB ratio of 2.3 isn't too bad. Home runs are a bit high for a reliever at 1.1/9 innings, but he does a fine job of getting LH batters out (.224 BAA, career). His biggest knock is that he's a first half pitcher. 3.64 ERA through July, and then 5.23 thereafter.

Some other interesting splits:
Career 3.54 ERA after 1 day of rest, 7.23 after 2 days rest, 3.00 after 3 days rest.
7th inning: .225 BAA, career
8th inning: .209 BAA, career
9th inning: .318/.378/.882 against

He only made $1.05mm last year. That's one helluva bargain if he can he had for a figure in that price range. He's a quality reliever; a big 32 year-old RH.

PalehosePlanet
12-11-2007, 03:49 PM
By being DFA's only hours before the non-tender deadline, does this make him an instant free agent? Or do the Brewers still have a window of time to trade him?

Either way, I'd be up for giving him a 2 year deal. Everytime I've seen him pitch he's looked good.

JRIG
12-11-2007, 04:12 PM
Not sure he'd require a 2-year deal after being DFA'd, but I do like the idea of bringing him in. He does an OK job of keeping the ball in the park and has decent control. Wise would be a nice piece to have available when putting together next year's pen.

Grzegorz
12-11-2007, 08:12 PM
Give him a look.

jcw218
12-11-2007, 08:28 PM
Wise has been DFA'd by Milwaukee...Now, is the time to go after him and swap Phillips (our DFA) for Wise (their DFA)...I would think it's worth a shot.

Phillips was DFA'd to make room on the roster for Quentin. Our roster is currently at 40 and I doubt that Wise would accept a minor league contract with an invite to spring training. I think Wise was DFA'd to make room on the Brewers roster for Gagne whom they signed to a 1 year contract I believe for 10 mil.

While Wise's numbers seem good, we would have to trade or DFA someone from our roster to make room for him.

the1tab
12-11-2007, 08:30 PM
We could have had Wise twice for the money we threw away on Linebrink. This is the time of year that you find good value that doesn't have "room" on a roster...

Wise is a good pitcher. The way this winter is going, the only guy designated for assignment in Milwaukee today we'll see on the south side is Kevin Mench.

rowand33
12-11-2007, 08:45 PM
Phillips was DFA'd to make room on the roster for Quentin. Our roster is currently at 40 and I doubt that Wise would accept a minor league contract with an invite to spring training. I think Wise was DFA'd to make room on the Brewers roster for Gagne whom they signed to a 1 year contract I believe for 10 mil.

While Wise's numbers seem good, we would have to trade or DFA someone from our roster to make room for him.

I know how to make some room...

two words:

Andy Gonzalez

SOXSINCE'70
12-11-2007, 09:04 PM
The way this winter is going, the only guy designated for assignment in Milwaukee today we'll see on the south side is Kevin Mench.

At least he won't be killing the Sox' pitching staff.
When he was with the Rangers,there were times
when he looked like Babe Ruth.