PDA

View Full Version : Hard to believe this was just 2 years ago.

JermaineDye05
12-10-2007, 06:44 PM
So the off season for a lot of fans has been a disappointment. The high hopes for Hunter followed up by the Tigers acquiring Miguel Cabrera. It's hard to believe that just 2 years ago this team was dominating everyone in baseball. That's the way it is with baseball you never know which way the pendulum is going to swing. I'm hopeful Kenny will get this team back to where it once was, if it's not this year then a couple years down the road. In the mean time I'm alright at looking back at what we did just a few years back.

q2cq_aprdew

Frontman
12-10-2007, 06:49 PM
It will happen again. Of that I have no doubt.

It just might take a bit of time to get back there.

Huisj
12-10-2007, 07:00 PM
Well, I can say that after 2 years, watching highlight sequences like that still gives me shivers and causes a huge grin to cross my face, because that video just did exactly that.

But yeah, what a change in a short time. I guess all I can say is you never know how the season will play out, and right now it's still only December. I'm not optimistic, but I'm still looking forward to seeing the off season and season play out.

chisoxfanatic
12-10-2007, 07:55 PM
The one thing giving me optimisim is how the Florida Marlins were able to win it all, become mediocre, and rise again to win it all in a short period of time. I know this is the American League, which is far tougher than the National League; but, they play the games instead of letting the paper doing the talking, allowing for anything to happen.

AJ Hellraiser
12-10-2007, 08:03 PM
Watching 2005 stuff is still the ultimate cure for everything... easily the best sporting time of my life... never had more fun watching a team, EVER... that includes the Bulls teams of the 90's...

While times change, history never will.... KW was smart enough to build a World Series winner in 1 offseason... while I am disappointed in him right now, I know he can do it again..

As a prior post said, it may take some time.... but we'll be back there...

WhiteSoxJunkie
12-10-2007, 08:05 PM
That video still gives me goosebumps.

And let's not forget the Sox tend to have their best seasons when they're not expected to.

Domeshot17
12-10-2007, 08:55 PM
That team wanted to win more than any other I have ever seen.

Woofer
12-10-2007, 09:44 PM
I am man enough to say that watching that still makes me tear up!

Jurr
12-10-2007, 09:51 PM
That team wanted to win more than any other I have ever seen.
Yeah...look at all of the players that had something to prove. Dye and Everett had the injury thing to get over. AJ was a castoff from San Fran. El Duque was another injury waiting to happen, and his Cuban buddy Contreras hadn't performed well in New York. Crede, Rowand, and Garland were all looking to prove themselves. Lightning in a bottle? Nah. It's the beauty of motivated athletes.

ChiSoxGirl
12-10-2007, 10:14 PM
Damn, does that bring back the most awesome sports memories of my life! I had chills through the entire video. Without a doubt, that was the most fun summer ever for me!

And yes, it is hard to believe that was just two years ago. In December 2005, my Christmas cards were mailed late and my gifts were bought and wrapped later than ever because I was too worried about my Sox scrapbook being my #1 priority. :wink:

Fenway
12-10-2007, 10:23 PM
Also reminds one of how good John Rooney is :(:

JermaineDye05
12-10-2007, 10:31 PM

Yeah I miss Rooney, my favorite call of his that year excluding the obvious 'White sox have won the pennant/world series' has got to be 'HOCUS POCUS SAYS HERNANDEZ!'.

ChiSoxGirl
12-10-2007, 10:31 PM

No kidding!!! How I miss him! :whiner:

gogosox16
12-10-2007, 10:46 PM
In that tribute to the 2005 Sox, Uribe could actually bend over and he was actually not fat....Have times changed

WhiteSox5187
12-10-2007, 10:57 PM
I loved that team....it was like EVERYONE out there had the same desire, I've never seen a team where EVERYONE seemed to have this "**** you, we're good, we know we're good and we're gonna SHOW ya we're good."

We'll eventually get to be that way again. Whether or not it is with Kenny, I'm not sure. But we'll be that way again.

BadBobbyJenks
12-10-2007, 11:14 PM
I wasnt here going into the 05 season, but how many people were saying how terrible we were going to be with the way the lineup looked going into the season?

PalehosePlanet
12-10-2007, 11:17 PM
Great video bringing back great memories. Thanks for posting it.

I believe we'll get back there sooner rather than later. Say what you will about Kenny, but the man is hell-bent on winning; I appreciate that.

voodoochile
12-10-2007, 11:25 PM
The one thing giving me optimisim is how the Florida Marlins were able to win it all, become mediocre, and rise again to win it all in a short period of time. I know this is the American League, which is far tougher than the National League; but, they play the games instead of letting the paper doing the talking, allowing for anything to happen.

They followed a very unusual business model. They signed a bunch of big money vets to win the first one and it worked - of course they lost a ton of money to do so. Then immediately (and I mean that off season) after winning the WS, they traded off ALL of their big money players and got tons of young talent in return. That's what led them to their second win several years later.

soltrain21
12-10-2007, 11:30 PM
That is easily the best baseball team we will ever see. What a well oiled machine.

chisoxfanatic
12-11-2007, 01:00 AM
That is easily the best baseball team we will ever see. What a well oiled machine.
We can make an argument that it is the best baseball team that will ever be assembled.

soxfan21
12-11-2007, 05:32 AM
That video was pretty sweet. Brings back some good memories of good times had by many.

oeo
12-11-2007, 05:47 AM
I wasnt here going into the 05 season, but how many people were saying how terrible we were going to be with the way the lineup looked going into the season?

While most people would tell you that they knew the Sox would be good that year, I don't believe, nor do I remember it. I think the general feeling was probably what you felt. It was the first complete team we'd had in years, but there were still a lot of question marks. Pods/Iguchi were unproven, Garland was never worth a damn until 2005, Contreras hadn't shown what he could yet, El Duque was on the decline, Dye/Frank had injury questions, Uribe was a utility guy, Cotts/Politte/Hermanson in the bullpen...please.

It was a complete team, but you're out of your mind if you remember knowing that team was going to go places.

wassagstdu
12-11-2007, 07:43 AM
Yeah...look at all of the players that had something to prove. Dye and Everett had the injury thing to get over. AJ was a castoff from San Fran. El Duque was another injury waiting to happen, and his Cuban buddy Contreras hadn't performed well in New York. Crede, Rowand, and Garland were all looking to prove themselves. Lightning in a bottle? Nah. It's the beauty of motivated athletes.
So here's my question. Did KW misunderstand the chemistry of that team and mess it up by trying to improve. or did winning just satisfy the hunger?

MarySwiss
12-11-2007, 08:37 AM
While most people would tell you that they knew the Sox would be good that year, I don't believe, nor do I remember it. I think the general feeling was probably what you felt. It was the first complete team we'd had in years, but there were still a lot of question marks. Pods/Iguchi were unproven, Garland was never worth a damn until 2005, Contreras hadn't shown what he could yet, El Duque was on the decline, Dye/Frank had injury questions, Uribe was a utility guy, Cotts/Politte/Hermanson in the bullpen...please.

It was a complete team, but you're out of your mind if you remember knowing that team was going to go places.

Guess I'm one of those that's out of her mind, then. Seriously, I started saying it before Christmas 2004. In February, when I bet on them to win it all (for the first time ever), my friends all told me I was nuts. Nowadays those same friends say they still can't understand how I could have been so absolutely positive they'd win. I can't either, but I was, and it just made the whole season that much better.

I hope they get back time and again, but even if they never do, I'll always remember 2005. It was amazing! :D:

spiffie
12-11-2007, 08:46 AM

I thought they would make it to the ALCS. That's why I bought season tickers for the first time that year.

I think what excited me was there was no one on that team going into the year who I really thought had potential to be bad. I thought everyone on that team would be at least decent. I think that's the difference between that year and this year so far. I see people in major roles who have the potential, and I fear likelihood, of being terrible.

spiffie
12-11-2007, 08:49 AM
So here's my question. Did KW misunderstand the chemistry of that team and mess it up by trying to improve. or did winning just satisfy the hunger?
None of the above. The bullpen was full of inconsistent guys who all had their good year in 2005, the CF was always 1/2 player short, either in the field or at the bat, and two SP got tired or something and just lost it. If BA hits well enough to play every day, if Buehrle has a normal Buehrle year, and any one of Cotts/Hermanson/Politte had been able to duplicate their 2005 the Sox likely win the division.

Frontman
12-11-2007, 08:57 AM
None of the above. The bullpen was full of inconsistent guys who all had their good year in 2005, the CF was always 1/2 player short, either in the field or at the bat, and two SP got tired or something and just lost it. If BA hits well enough to play every day, if Buehrle has a normal Buehrle year, and any one of Cotts/Hermanson/Politte had been able to duplicate their 2005 the Sox likely win the division.

Agreed. I would add that if Javy would of gone into the later innings in a lot of his starts as well keeping the bullpen fresh, and if Brandon Mac actually, you know, paid attention and put some heart into his outings out of the pen; 2006 would of been a case of lightning striking twice for playoff appearances.

veeter
12-11-2007, 09:40 AM
Watching 2005 stuff is still the ultimate cure for everything... easily the best sporting time of my life... never had more fun watching a team, EVER... that includes the Bulls teams of the 90's...

While times change, history never will.... KW was smart enough to build a World Series winner in 1 offseason... while I am disappointed in him right now, I know he can do it again..

As a prior post said, it may take some time.... but we'll be back there...I agree. Saying, 'Yes, Kenny won a championship but has only been to the playoffs once, is like Chris Carter only caught touchdowns.' If that's torture, torture me any time. Let the others beat themselves up, we'll wait in the wings for the appropriate time to strike.

duke of dorwood
12-11-2007, 10:09 AM
I dont believe a World Champion could regress faster unless you were dismantled on purpose like the Marlins.

I believe that if Williams had quit after 2005-we would not be in this pickle right now

voodoochile
12-11-2007, 10:13 AM
I dont believe a World Champion could regress faster unless you were dismantled on purpose like the Marlins.

I believe that if Williams had quit after 2005-we would not be in this pickle right now

:dumbass:

Frontman
12-11-2007, 10:16 AM

Uh huh. So, if we would of kept El Duque, Rowand, Everett, Harris, and the rest, we would of repeated?

http://lwwdc.org/Spicoli3.jpg
"Can I like, get what you're smoking?"

Seriously man, you honestly think that if the team was kept whole, that Kenny didn't tinker with it, that it would of been fine?

2006 Sox won 90 games! In four of the other divisions, that would of won said division. I can't fault Kenny for trying. I fault him for his relying on injury prone players (Erstad, Pods) and I blame bad luck on the rest (Kenny didn't drag the infield the day Ozuna broke his ankle, so he's not at fault for that.)

Jerko
12-11-2007, 10:21 AM
What I like the most about that video is the "look" of the team. They played SMART, they were unintimidated, and they just went and kicked everyone's booty. They've been playing scared the past year and a half IMO.......

chisoxmike
12-11-2007, 11:00 AM
I don't want to sound like an ass, but I think its time to move on from the "just like '05" or "reminds me of '05" stuff.

I will always be greatful to have witnessed the glorious 2005 season. But its over now. Let's move on. This team should have gone back to the playoffs in '06 and didnt. They spewed out how smart KW was going into 2007, now he looks like a moron.

2005 was amazing, but there is so much more to accomplish. I don't know about you guys, but I'd like to go the playoffs more than once every 5-10 years. :dunno:

itsnotrequired
12-11-2007, 01:22 PM
We can make an argument that it is the best baseball team that will ever be assembled.

:bong:

Frontman
12-11-2007, 01:44 PM
I don't want to sound like an ass, but I think its time to move on from the "just like '05" or "reminds me of '05" stuff.

I will always be greatful to have witnessed the glorious 2005 season. But its over now. Let's move on. This team should have gone back to the playoffs in '06 and didnt. They spewed out how smart KW was going into 2007, now he looks like a moron.

2005 was amazing, but there is so much more to accomplish. I don't know about you guys, but I'd like to go the playoffs more than once every 5-10 years. :dunno:

Exactly. While I'll always appreciate 2005 for the memories; I won't live in the past. That's why I'm excited to see KW making changes to the roster. So what if he isn't done yet? Time to see what he can do, and what will become of this squad.

Here we go, 2008!

chisox77
12-11-2007, 08:21 PM
No matter what, just remember this:

Go White Sox!

:cool:

Frontman
12-11-2007, 11:11 PM
No matter what, just remember this:

Go White Sox!

:cool:

I thought it was