PDA

View Full Version : Wednesday's WINNING Pick to Click!

PaleHoseGeorge
04-17-2002, 11:23 PM
After an 11-1 start, who's laughing now Sox Fans?

"Isn't it great how I've improved Kenny Lofton's game!" :ray

Totally Biased Game Recap (http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/rwas/index.php?category=4&id=560)

More to follow.

Go Sox!!!

HawkDJ
04-17-2002, 11:25 PM
One of these days, the best pitcher so far in the AL has to win PTC....

:burly
What do you want, a perfect game?

:D:

Daver
04-17-2002, 11:26 PM
Originally posted by HawkDJ2k2

The WSI umpire accepts small unmarked bills only.

OfficerKarkovice
04-17-2002, 11:33 PM
Originally posted by HawkDJ2k2

As much as I usually disagree with PHG...just ask him :D: ...I think this was the right pick...but a hell of an outing by Burly too.

Dadawg_77
04-17-2002, 11:40 PM
Originally posted by daver

The WSI umpire accepts small unmarked bills only.

Just not at the 1933 All Star grill

kermittheefrog
04-18-2002, 12:01 AM
Come on WSI umpire, I've been pretty good at picking guys for good games but you give the PTC to the OTHER guy with a good game. GRRRRRR

doublem23
04-18-2002, 12:04 AM
Originally posted by kermittheefrog
Come on WSI umpire, I've been pretty good at picking guys for good games but you give the PTC to the OTHER guy with a good game. GRRRRRR

Maybe you should go crunch some more numbers before the game. :smile:

kermittheefrog
04-18-2002, 12:07 AM
Originally posted by doublem23

Maybe you should go crunch some more numbers before the game. :smile:

Time to derive the perfect formula for picking the PTC! I will dominate the contest!

Note: What a lame 1000th post :D:

chisoxfanatic
04-18-2002, 12:34 AM
:hitless
I hit a tripple, and I don't get any consideration? Don't you guys know that I'm the $hit?

Heather the Redbird

voodoochile
04-18-2002, 01:03 AM
I don't play the PTC (I'm horrible bad luck for the player and the team), but I did want to point out that in the official contest on TV they often award more than one PTC player if several players have good games...

Not my contest, but it would seem that tonight you could give PTC points to Durham and Burly-Mon at least...

Did anyone notice that the Sox are hitting .317 AS A TEAM?!?!??!??!

That's kind of scary...

MattSharp
04-18-2002, 01:37 AM
I officially don't like the PTC contest. I don't like the way it's run. I think there should be multiple players. Cause there are multiple palyers who "click." Either that or change it to Player of the Game contest........ :(: :(:

CLR01
04-18-2002, 01:50 AM
Originally posted by MattSharp
I officially don't like the PTC contest. I don't like the way it's run. I think there should be multiple players. Cause there are multiple palyers who "click." Either that or change it to Player of the Game contest........ :(: :(:

It is....the rules are your friend.

1. The winning "Pick to Click" is the Sox player of the game.

rules (http://whitesoxinteractive.com/MainPages/PTCrules.htm)

CLR01
04-18-2002, 02:00 AM
Also, I believe it was agreed upon by most of the community, when the contest started, that a guy like Frank should be held to a higher level than the rest of the team. He is expected to go out and hit homeruns so he should not recieve the honors just because he hit one in a game. Same thing with Buehrle, todays game has become the norm for him so he should have to pitch better than his norm to win, or the rest of the team should have to suck it up.

Mathew
04-18-2002, 02:56 AM
Originally posted by CLR01
Also, I believe it was agreed upon by most of the community, when the contest started, that a guy like Frank should be held to a higher level than the rest of the team. He is expected to go out and hit homeruns so he should not recieve the honors just because he hit one in a game. Same thing with Buehrle, todays game has become the norm for him so he should have to pitch better than his norm to win, or the rest of the team should have to suck it up.

at least Royce might win some then 'cause he isn't expected to do sh*t!

CLR01
04-18-2002, 03:01 AM
royce should win it for taking a walk and not striking out.

PaleHoseGeorge
04-18-2002, 09:32 AM

This is not in the rules, but in technical application, it probably holds true. A top performance by Royce Clayton doesn't require as much as a top performance by Frank Thomas.

The rules clearly state the winning pick to click is the Sox player of the game. Some games there are plenty of heroes and choosing one is easy. Other games suck, and it's nearly impossible to pick anybody worthy of the award. That's why you'll hear references to the world's tallest midget.

Clearly there are nights when a great performance would've won PTC, if only the rest of the Sox had played lousy. That's why pointing to a ballplayer's season BA or ERA is pointless. We're picking the Sox player of the game!

If you read the game recaps, the logic behind the pick is almost always there to be READ and UNDERSTOOD. If you want to become a more savvy player, I recommend reading the TBGR, in addition to the award box that appears at the bottom of the page.

So far, nobody has challenged the wisdom of the logic. There has simply been a lot of hand wringing on behalf of other deserving winners. While that is understandable, I can't imagine any umpire being swayed by such an argument. Tell me why I was wrong, not why you were right.

Otherwise, stop whining.

ode to veeck
04-18-2002, 09:47 AM

"It's just letting them know we're here and we're ready to play,"
published in the AP coverage, the additional unpublished quote:

"Geez, PHG, Ray-Ray had a GREAT game, but I hung in there on an off night and kept the runners at second and off the board ... but the real reason I need some respect was for going 8 and keeping the bullpen sittin on their hands all night!"

:hitless

"I've been reading all those posts on WSI and not only have I been doubling my April BA and knocking in runs vs last year, but how'd you like that tough BB I ecked out tonight!"

:lofton

"I can't imagine what we're going to do to people if Sandy and Royce are getting on base. I'm really havin fun here on the South Side!"

"... and one more thing PHG, you can't hold me to a higher "frank-like" PTC standard until I get a glowing Gammons feature!"

daver
"The WSI umpire accepts small unmarked bills only"

ode
"I have morals. :smile: There's two things I can't bring myself to pay for in life!"

PaleHoseGeorge
04-18-2002, 10:08 AM
Originally posted by ode to veeck
Geez, PHG, Ray-Ray had a GREAT game, but I hung in there on an off night and kept the runners at second and off the board ... but the real reason I need some respect was for going 8 and keeping the bullpen sittin on their hands all night!

Actually, Buehrle's stated goal was to pitch all nine innings. He fell short of his goal, thanks to Captain Hook.

:jerry
"I've been pulling my starters early all season. What's the mystery?"

It's also worth noting that Buehrle dug the team a hole by allowing two earned runs the first inning. The Sox were losing!

Yes, he got the win, but on a night the Sox scored seven runs, it's hard to argue why someone from the offense shouldn't be chosen PTC. After all, it was the OFFENSE, not pitching, that won this game.

"I probably lost PTC seven innings BEFORE Jerry pulled me."

You know, it's going to be a lot harder for starting pitchers to win PTC when the Sox offense is plowing over the competition. This isn't the 2001 team, and last year's winning strategy no longer applies. For example, we now have a leadoff man, and a bottom-three that have a clue when they enter the batter's box.

I suggest less whining, and more use of your thinking caps.

Iwritecode
04-18-2002, 10:48 AM
I just have to throw this in here. This is probably the best one liner I've read in any TBGR this season. :D:

Keith Foulke pitched a 1-2-3 ninth inning, but didn't get his fifth save of the season because Cleveland sucks too much to make it a save situation.

MattSharp
04-18-2002, 11:01 AM

It is....the rules are your friend.

Sorry. I still get mislead by Pick to Click. I always thought the way Hawk and Wimpy did it was if their player had a good game, then they were considered to have been right. So when I see Pick to Click I don't think player of the game....