PDA

View Full Version : EINHORN: "The price of toys is really going up,"

Fenway
12-10-2007, 01:27 PM
Another country heard from

from the NY Daily News

Mad money
"The price of toys is really going up," said Eddie Einhorn. The White Sox vice chairman, walking through the lobby of the Opryland Hotel in Nashville, was talking about the dramatic salary escalation in the contracts doled out this winter, most notably the five-year, $90 million deal the Angels gave Torii Hunter (who had been hotly pursued by the White Sox) and the deals the Yankees were compelled to give Jorge Posada and Mariano Rivera. I couldn't help but remind Einhorn that his own White Sox were responsible for considerably raising the bar in the setup reliever market with the four-year, $19 million they gave Scott Linebrink. "I know, I know," Einhorn shrugged. "What are ya gonna do? We're all guilty."

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/columnists/madden/index.html?page=1

alohafri
12-10-2007, 01:35 PM
Another country heard from

from the NY Daily News

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/columnists/madden/index.html?page=1

Should this surprise you since he and his business partner overbid everyone by a gazillion dollars on Albert Belle?

WhiteSox5187
12-10-2007, 01:53 PM
I didn't know Einhorn was even active in the organization anymore. He has really fallen from sight...what sort of role does he play within the organization?

Lip Man 1
12-10-2007, 01:57 PM
Aloha:

There appeared to be more to the Belle signing then just trying to get him for the team. There was (and still is) much speculation that the main reason Belle got what he did was to 'prove a point' to the other owners who agreed to end the 1994 labor dispute in a fashion totally on the terms of the MLBPA (although the courts also had a large say in the matter...)

As a result of the signing, for whatever reason or reasons, Reinsdorf was removed from his position on the labor relations committee, who advised the Commissioner on all matters regarding labor by the other owners.

Just FYI.

Lip

alohafri
12-10-2007, 02:18 PM
Aloha:

There appeared to be more to the Belle signing then just trying to get him for the team. There was (and still is) much speculation that the main reason Belle got what he did was to 'prove a point' to the other owners who agreed to end the 1994 labor dispute in a fashion totally on the terms of the MLBPA (although the courts also had a large say in the matter...)

As a result of the signing, for whatever reason or reasons, Reinsdorf was removed from his position on the labor relations committee, who advised the Commissioner on all matters regarding labor by the other owners.

Just FYI.

Lip

I know exactly what you are saying Lip. I do know that story. My point, I guess, is that it is ironic that Einhorn is talking about "the price going up" when, for whatever reason, his partner is partially responsible...whether it was to make a point or not.

Fenway
12-10-2007, 02:19 PM
Also at that time Eddie fell out of favor with Selig over "The Baseball Network" fiasco.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Baseball_Network

Aloha:

Just FYI.

Lip

slavko
12-10-2007, 07:53 PM
He has cancer and I'm just happy to hear about him walking and talking (too much as usual). I hope he's around for the next WS.

soxfanreggie
12-10-2007, 09:36 PM
What we gave Linebrink for 4 years, Gagne would make in too. We didn't help the situation, but we didn't give a reliever $10 mil a year.

KRS1
12-10-2007, 09:52 PM
We raised the market for set-up men? Perhaps Bill should look at his beloved Yanks and the 3-$19MM they gave Farnsworth a few years ago, the Orioles and their spree on relievers last year, or even the JC Romero deal handed out weeks before we signed Linebrink to find the true source of the raise in reliever's pay. Sure we contributed to it, but acting as if we were the catalyst to this problem is a joke.