PDA

View Full Version : Ellsbury charging $125-$150 for an autograph

WizardsofOzzie
12-10-2007, 09:15 AM
Wow, I think this is the fastest player to ever become a complete tool in my book...and it actually makes Schilling look like a good guy! :o:

Ellsbury is also signing autographs tomorrow at Emerald Square Mall in North Attleborough at Sports Treasures, from 1 p.m. to 3 p.m. It will cost fans $125.00 to get a baseball or photograph (up to 16x20) signed by the Sox rookie outfielder (you provide the item). For $150.00, Ellsbury will autograph a baseball bat or jersey/shirt.A little too cocky too fast don't you think? :rolleyes:

"Players and their agents negotiate appearance fees," Schilling wrote. "The agent generally takes a percentage. I no longer do public signings where cash is required at the autograph table, itís way too messy and uncomfortable.Link (http://www.boston.com/sports/baseball/redsox/extras/extra_bases/2007/12/sign_of_the_tim.html)

twentywontowin
12-10-2007, 09:38 AM
There was a time in life where I thought the Bobby Hull $10 fee was nuts.

Where does this no name get the idea people will pay $150 for his signature?

itsnotrequired
12-10-2007, 09:40 AM

From his agent.

spawn
12-10-2007, 09:40 AM
Wow. Well, that does suck that he's charging that much, but there will be the idiots out there willing to pay that ridiculous fee.

SBSoxFan
12-10-2007, 09:41 AM
Wow. Well, that does suck that he's charging that much, but there will be the idiots out there willing to pay that ridiculous fee.

Do you think Fenway was in line? :D:

fquaye149
12-10-2007, 10:01 AM
That's Boston for you.

E-Bay has made the autograph market a lot more viable

WizardsofOzzie
12-10-2007, 10:02 AM
From his agent.

:borass:

You rang?

twentywontowin
12-10-2007, 10:08 AM
This saves you all the trouble:

http://cgi.ebay.com/JACOBY-ELLSBURY-AUTO-2005-TOPPS-UPDATE-RC-AUTOGRAPH-HOT_W0QQitemZ260190270884QQihZ016QQcategoryZ636QQs sPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Oblong
12-10-2007, 10:14 AM

From the people who will pay it.

Dick Allen
12-10-2007, 10:16 AM
I paid $150 for Joe Dimaggio's autograph about 10 years ago. I know there's inflation, but geez...

spawn
12-10-2007, 10:22 AM
I paid $150 for Joe Dimaggio's autograph about 10 years ago. I know there's inflation, but geez...
Joe Dimaggio is an HOF'er. Ellsbury is a rookie who hasn't palyed a full year in the majors yet.

doublem23
12-10-2007, 10:25 AM
That's Boston for you.

E-Bay has made the autograph market a lot more viable

That's what it is. I'm sure there are people tracking these things, and if people online are willing to pay that much, you can't blame the guy for trying to get in on the action. I would check eBay to see what some of his stuff has been going for lately, but eBay is blocked at work.

Jacoby Ellsbury may be a tool, but the people paying that much for his John Hancock certainly are.

chaerulez
12-10-2007, 10:56 AM
That's what it is. I'm sure there are people tracking these things, and if people online are willing to pay that much, you can't blame the guy for trying to get in on the action. I would check eBay to see what some of his stuff has been going for lately, but eBay is blocked at work.

Jacoby Ellsbury may be a tool, but the people paying that much for his John Hancock certainly are.

Agreed, any athlete that charges people for his autograph is a tool in my book as well. But it's the people that actually pay the amount for that kind of crap that allow this to happen. I understand why kids would want one, but as a grown man getting someone to sign his name on a piece of paper, photo or ball doesn't really do much for me.

Fenway
12-10-2007, 11:04 AM
From his agent.

One guess who his new agent is :angry:

GAsoxfan
12-10-2007, 11:05 AM
I don't blame Ellsbury at all. If people were willing to pay $150 for my signature, I'd sign until my arm fell off, and then I'd sign things left-handed until that arm fell off. He may turn out to be a one-month wonder, so I have no problem with him getting his while he can.

spiffie
12-10-2007, 11:12 AM
I don't blame Ellsbury at all. If people were willing to pay $150 for my signature, I'd sign until my arm fell off, and then I'd sign things left-handed until that arm fell off. He may turn out to be a one-month wonder, so I have no problem with him getting his while he can.
Then I'd put the pen in my mouth and sign that way.

salty99
12-10-2007, 11:17 AM
Then I'd put the pen in my mouth and sign that way.

Don't forget the feet.

Dick Allen
12-10-2007, 11:23 AM
Joe Dimaggio is an HOF'er. Ellsbury is a rookie who hasn't palyed a full year in the majors yet.Yeah, that's my point. No way in hell do I pay that much for an Ellsbury autograph.

Zisk77
12-10-2007, 11:46 AM
Remember how the media blasted Frank for selling his autohraphs for $1? That greedy SOB... He was giving the proceeds to charity:?:

Tekijawa
12-10-2007, 11:55 AM
I only paid $50 to have "The Mick" Sign a ball for me... Times have changed!

WhiteSox5187
12-10-2007, 01:07 PM
I'm not a big fan of autographs (I think it's a lot cooler just to say hello to a ballplayer/celebrity and having a bit of convo with them rather than just handing them something to sign), but I would certainly never pay for one from a still active ballplayer who has yet to play a full season in the majors.

Trav
12-10-2007, 01:15 PM
I'm not a big fan of autographs (I think it's a lot cooler just to say hello to a ballplayer/celebrity and having a bit of convo with them rather than just handing them something to sign), but I would certainly never pay for one from a still active ballplayer who has yet to play a full season in the majors.

I agree, when I was little I used to like pushing my way through the crowds and getting a few but I grew out of it. It's one thing to charge the guys that bring briefcases to the games and push the kids out of the way so the player can sign a stack of 8X12's. It's quite another when you charge a kid for that pleasure. That's the only thing that pisses me off about athletes charging for a sign.

TDog
12-10-2007, 02:10 PM

I wouldn't sell my reputation. That's what I would be doing if I sold my autograph. Joe DiMaggio sold his autograph, but he was a jerk. Bill Russell, who simply doesn't sign autographs, has far more integrity. More than a decade ago, I met Bob Feller, who was charging people for his autograph and, as a bonus, an insight to his bitterness.

I didn't pay for Feller's autograph, but at the end of the event I paid to attend, I got a ball autographed by all the participants, including Feller, Bob Gibson and Monte Irvin. Non-Hall-of-Famers including Curt Flood and Steve Garvey signed it, too, along with then-Sox bullpen catcher Roly de Armas, so it isn't like I'm going to be able to resell it for big bucks.

I have a lot of autographed balls and pictures and a few autographed bats displayed in my home. But if I had to pay people to sign them, they wouldn't mean much to me.

getonbckthr
12-10-2007, 02:14 PM
Hell I would have another signing in 6 months and charge $200.

fquaye149
12-10-2007, 03:09 PM
I wouldn't sell my reputation. That's what I would be doing if I sold my autograph. Joe DiMaggio sold his autograph, but he was a jerk. Bill Russell, who simply doesn't sign autographs, has far more integrity. More than a decade ago, I met Bob Feller, who was charging people for his autograph and, as a bonus, an insight to his bitterness.

I didn't pay for Feller's autograph, but at the end of the event I paid to attend, I got a ball autographed by all the participants, including Feller, Bob Gibson and Monte Irvin. Non-Hall-of-Famers including Curt Flood and Steve Garvey signed it, too, along with then-Sox bullpen catcher Roly de Armas, so it isn't like I'm going to be able to resell it for big bucks.

I have a lot of autographed balls and pictures and a few autographed bats displayed in my home. But if I had to pay people to sign them, they wouldn't mean much to me.

'I think a lot of the people who pay big bucks to get auto's at sports card shows are just getting them to sell in their sports shops--at least, that's the way it was in the mid-90's when I collected cards. I think athletes got a little fed up with that and said "if you're going to charge big bucks then so am I".

Then of course there's the ones like Pete Rose and Jose Canseco who just saw an opportunity to make some $

Navarro's Talent
12-10-2007, 03:34 PM
As a kid, I loved being an autograph seeker. Getting Cal Ripken, Jr. to autograph a program was definitely a great moment of my youth.

Nowadays, though, I'd much rather talk to an athlete than anything else. I still have lots of the signatures I was able to obtain as a kid, but autograph seeking just isn't my thing at all anymore.

I can't believe that people will pay that kind of money for an Ellsbury signature. I got Cal's sig for free just by meeting him at a game.

Hokiesox
12-10-2007, 03:35 PM
What's the over/under on this going like the Spinal Tap autograph session went?

palehozenychicty
12-10-2007, 04:23 PM

Neither do I.

Fenway
12-10-2007, 06:06 PM
http://bostondirtdogs.boston.com/BDD_JE_doughboygreen_12.7.0.jpg

thomas35forever
12-10-2007, 06:12 PM
So just like that, Ellsbury is a superstar? I guess every mediocre player in the game deserves a shot at the HoF then.

NardiWasHere
12-10-2007, 07:28 PM
I'm embarrassed for him.

WizardsofOzzie
12-10-2007, 07:34 PM
So just like that, Ellsbury is a superstar? I guess every mediocre player in the game deserves a shot at the HoF then.
I wonder how much Shingo's autograph was going for after his first season :smile:

guillen4life13
12-10-2007, 07:35 PM
Then of course there's the ones like Pete Rose and Jose Canseco who just saw an opportunity to make some $

In 2001 Jose was more than happy to sign my Sox autograph hat when I was 13. It was the same day he promised some youth cancer patients that visited the clubhouse that he would hit a home run for them. He hit two.

For all the crap that Canseco has said/done, my opinion of him will always be positive because of that day.

fquaye149
12-10-2007, 07:52 PM
In 2001 Jose was more than happy to sign my Sox autograph hat when I was 13. It was the same day he promised some youth cancer patients that visited the clubhouse that he would hit a home run for them. He hit two.

For all the crap that Canseco has said/done, my opinion of him will always be positive because of that day.

He seems like a nice enough guy (besides the steroids thing)

But there's no doubt he was quite the card-show mercenary in his day (and there's really nothing wrong with that (imo)

Dan the Man
12-10-2007, 07:58 PM
I hope he gets traded.

soxfanreggie
12-10-2007, 08:19 PM
It's the card sharks that cause kids to not be able to get the autos, but the players are the ones that have control over how much they charge. I have no use for displaying but a few autos. If I had to pay something for them, I wouldn't have gotten them. I have plenty of other sports memorabilia to display that means more to me.

Trav
12-10-2007, 10:58 PM
He seems like a nice enough guy (besides the steroids thing)

But there's no doubt he was quite the card-show mercenary in his day (and there's really nothing wrong with that (imo)

What do you mean "besides the steroid thing"? He has been the biggest help in uncovering all this crap. And if he didn't start it, someone else would have. He's been the most stand up guy in the whole ordeal. Isn't that weird to say?

Grzegorz
12-11-2007, 04:35 AM

True; no one has a gun to the head of those people seeking his autograph.

MarySwiss
12-11-2007, 07:13 AM
When I saw the title of this thread, my first thought was "Who's Ellsbury?" :?:

Guess I'm gonna have to watch more Red Sox games.

BadBobbyJenks
12-11-2007, 07:49 AM
In a related story, Brian Anderson is paying you 5 dollars for his autograph

Frontman
12-11-2007, 08:03 AM
"If people are willing to pay it, then people are the one's who deserve to pay 150 a pop."

The only thing that annoys me is that then players not even of Ellisbury's caliber (and I think the kid has a great future in baseball) start charging 50 to 60 a pop when they had a cup of coffee in the majors and their name on their locker was put up on masking tape.

Price of fame. Even our Sox players autograph items can fetch a pretty hefty penny (Just saw a Jim Thome autograph card on ebay for 125.)

And before anyone says it, yes that is the asking price. But the point is that they wouldn't ask that much if they couldn't get that much.

Frontman
12-11-2007, 08:06 AM
What do you mean "besides the steroid thing"? He has been the biggest help in uncovering all this crap. And if he didn't start it, someone else would have. He's been the most stand up guy in the whole ordeal. Isn't that weird to say?

What kind of a world do we live in when THAT happens?

Conseco might drive me insane with all of it, but you guys are right in the sense that he drew attention to all of it and pretty much forced the issue. He got some major money off his book sale in doing it; but its no different in my opinion that the writers of Game of Shadows making money of their book. If someone is willing to pay for it, more power to 'em.

fquaye149
12-11-2007, 10:39 AM

Ugh. Whatever. He still built his entire career on steroids and by all accounts helped get other people into steroids. Further, some might say that the only reason he "came clean" about steroids was to sell copies of his books.

I don't know the "truth"...no one can...but I hardly think the "Steroids thing" is something to be counted positively against his record

Trav
12-11-2007, 12:14 PM
Ugh. Whatever. He still built his entire career on steroids and by all accounts helped get other people into steroids. Further, some might say that the only reason he "came clean" about steroids was to sell copies of his books.

I don't know the "truth"...no one can...but I hardly think the "Steroids thing" is something to be counted positively against his record

There is no doubt he only came forward to make money and keep his name in the papers, but the fact that he has been the most help in finding the liars and the cheats makes me like him. He's for the safe use of steroids and that's his mantra, officially. Now, I don't agree with him but it's just a different opinion than mine. I can't hold that against him. I don't think you should praise him for the steroids but there are about to be many of names released in this Steroid Investigation Farce and I'm thinking that the ones who are the most honest are the guys I'm not going to root against. To try and root for guys who are clean is impossible.

fquaye149
12-11-2007, 12:22 PM
Like I said, I like Canseco a lot. He was my favorite non-Frank player growing up and he remains a favorite of mine.

But he did use steroids, and he seems to be in his public image a bit of a self-aggrandizer.

That said--I like him. Period.

hi im skot
12-11-2007, 12:42 PM
"If people are willing to pay it, then people are the one's who deserve to pay 150 a pop."

The only thing that annoys me is that then players not even of Ellisbury's caliber (and I think the kid has a great future in baseball) start charging 50 to 60 a pop when they had a cup of coffee in the majors and their name on their locker was put up on masking tape.

Price of fame. Even our Sox players autograph items can fetch a pretty hefty penny (Just saw a Jim Thome autograph card on ebay for 125.)

And before anyone says it, yes that is the asking price. But the point is that they wouldn't ask that much if they couldn't get that much.

Sure...that's eBay, though. Thome has nothing to do with the price of his autographed baseball card. Obviously, we all know that Thome is one of the most giving players in all of sports.

rookieroy
12-11-2007, 02:49 PM
This doesn't surprise me at all. Everything Boston Red Sox related costs big bucks especially after a world series win. Last year, an autograph show in Boston had Ortiz and Ramirez signing for $395 I believe. The lesser popular players, like the bullpen guys, were $129. I read somewhere that the show was sold out. Some fans even said they would pay more. :?: Sorry, don't have a linky.

Supply and demand is so subjective. I amazes me that people care about this topic and have never bought an autograph. I care because I do pay for autographs, but, I'm selective on whom and how much. Yes, to a White Sox fan, thats a lot of money to pay for a rookie autograph. To a Red Sox fan......chump change!

soxinem1
12-11-2007, 02:52 PM
$150 bucks for a quickly signed autograph from a guy who could very well become the next Pat Listach.

No thanks.

Fantosme
12-12-2007, 03:19 PM
Maybe Ellsbury knows that once he is traded to Minnesota, he won't be able to get ten bucks for his autograph.

Scottiehaswheels
12-12-2007, 03:23 PM
Wonder if KW could get that extra .50 cents he needs to sign a FA for his autograph...

Frontman
12-12-2007, 03:28 PM
Sure...that's eBay, though. Thome has nothing to do with the price of his autographed baseball card. Obviously, we all know that Thome is one of the most giving players in all of sports.

My point being skot is that is what the market is asking for signatures now. Heck, even going over to say a Plaques Plus, you see autograph pictures starting at 80 bucks.

It isn't a statement on any one player, but the market as a whole. I remember the days when you could stand by the "Players Entrance" at Comiskey and get them for free. Sadly, in this day and age, you don't see that much anymore.

Nelson Foxtrot
12-13-2007, 01:53 AM
I heard about Ellsbury's agent rejecting a pretty large autograph fee (I think $35,000) earlier this year, I believe before the kid ever played a major league game, so this doesn't surprise me. Some companies regularly have a bunch of top prospects signing at their shows for less than $20, sometimes free with admission, so apparently Ellsbury and his agent have extremely high expectations for him. I'm just amused that I could buy a signed photo of Mantle, Dimaggio, or Williams for less than I'd pay for an Ellsbury one. You can get a nice Nellie Fox autograph for that price as well.

Just about everybody signs for a fee at times. Even Jim Thome and Frank Thomas each has a starting price of $99 at November's Sun-Times Show. Getting Big Frank on a 500 HR Club bat or jersey cost $300! The 2005 Sox, 2004 Red Sox, and 1990s Yankees champion teams have been pretty popular on the autograph circuit, and I don't think there was anybody from those teams who hasn't made some decent money signing their names. Likewise with Hall of Famers, MVPs, ROYs, etc. from all four major sports. Even entertainers, golfers, wrestlers, boxers, Olympians, and Nascar drivers among others do lots of public or private signings. So when you find somebody who doesn't do public shows, odds are they simply would rather not deal with the public, but are still getting paid to sign privately for these companies.

Despite signing for a fee, nearly everybody will sign for free as well. Despite Frank Thomas getting $300 for some autographs lately, he still has a reputation of being one of the most fan-friendly and autograph-accessible players in the sport. Former Cy Young winner Mike Marshall is the only ballplayer of note I can think of who refuses to sign for free. The only others I've heard of are guys who only played a handful of games for a mediocre team decades ago and are very bitter about their baseball experiences. While I don't doubt Ron Kittle's claim about Barry Bonds, there are thousands of middle-aged white guys who have gotten free Barry Bonds autographs over the years, though perhaps he and others fear bad publicity from declining public requests.