12-09-2007, 04:13 PM
http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/7544572

ndgt10
12-09-2007, 04:59 PM
zzzzzzzzzzz....Kenny Williams....zzzzzzzzzzzz

DumpJerry
12-09-2007, 05:45 PM
NEWS FLASH: There are 30 teams in MLB. 29 of those teams did not win the World Series in 2007. Therefore, there are 29 teams looking to become better than they were last year and one hoping to keep ahead of the pack despite the odds against repeating World Series' titles.

To criticize Kenny because he has not signed every available free agent is ridiculous. I realize that we have identified the Bullpen as one of our weaknesses, but you can easily point to 25 teams with the same "problem."

Have you forgotten it was Hawkins who probably cost the Cubs a post season appearance in 2004 when he gave up a game-tying three run homer with 2 outs in the bottom of the Ninth to the Mets? This quote from the story makes me glad we did not get Hawkins:

A 13-year veteran, Hawkins spent his first nine seasons with the Minnesota Twins. The Yankees will be his sixth team and fifth in the past four seasons.

HawkDJ
12-09-2007, 06:03 PM

Really? KW deserves this for not signing Latroy Hawkins?

canOcorn
12-09-2007, 06:10 PM

Kenny Williams has been caught with his shorts down this offseason, but this isn't a good example.

IceczMan
12-09-2007, 06:11 PM

Hmm....I would much rather go into the season with a Boone Logan or Ehren Wasserman in that role than go out and spend to bring Latroy Hawkins of all pitchers to the southside. I'm sorry but i can only imagine the backlash that Williams would get for signing him as opposed to your belief that he was sleeping at the wheel on latroy

chaerulez
12-09-2007, 07:13 PM

You want LaTroy Hawkins on your team?

Did you see how well he did 9 miles north?

DumpJerry
12-09-2007, 08:43 PM
Really? KW deserves this for not signing Latroy Hawkins?

Kenny Williams has been caught with his shorts down this offseason, but this isn't a good example.

Hmm....I would much rather go into the season with a Boone Logan or Ehren Wasserman in that role than go out and spend to bring Latroy Hawkins of all pitchers to the southside. I'm sorry but i can only imagine the backlash that Williams would get for signing him as opposed to your belief that he was sleeping at the wheel on latroy

Maybe ngdt10 was reporting Kenny's reaction to learning Latroy is a free agent and was not being critical of Kenny.

CLR01
12-09-2007, 09:19 PM

No kidding. Why on earth would you want a guy with a sub-3 era, a whip around 1, a SO:BB ratio of 4:1.

johnny_mostil
12-09-2007, 09:25 PM

No, not really. Paying what the Angels did for Hunter, or what the Tigers did for Cabrera, would have been stupid. Don't buy into the Mariotti Hate Machine.

IceczMan
12-09-2007, 11:43 PM
No, not really. Paying what the Angels did for Hunter, or what the Tigers did for Cabrera, would have been stupid. Don't buy into the Mariotti Hate Machine.

While its still very early into the offseason, I have generally felt the same way. I believed that the sox would have been stupid if they have attempted to outbid after the Angels offer to Hunter or add additional prospects to compete for Cabrera against the Tigers, but I have found that these are now two competely different things. It is one thing to continue to trade away prospects and compete with other teams in trades, where you evidentially trade away the entire farm system, so im happy that the sox didnt attempt to top the Tigers' offer to get Cabrera. I say attempt, because I'm not sure we even have the prospects at this point to compete with what they traded, but thats neither here nor there.

However, I think there is a difference in topping the different teams' trade offers and outbidding the competition for free agents. I believe that the Angels grossly overpaid for Hunter. The problem, however, is that that contract is now the market. Next year, the free agent pool is going to demand more money and the contracts will continue to increase. Esp if there are numerous teams looking to fill the same position, as in Hunter's case. With American League teams busting out their checkbooks more and more recently, with the Angels and Tigers now joining the ranks of the Red Sox and the Yankees, the White Sox need to be more realistic when it comes to paying free agents. Now, Im not talking about just paying any particular player a large amount because that's what he's asking, like the $40 mil the Cubs dished out to Lilly last year, but when the Sox have their sights set on a particular player and believe that he will greatly help their team, they should be able to compete with other teams in the bidding.

Maybe with the Hunter case, that isnt what happened, and the Sox would have paid more for Hunter if given the chance again, but I hate to hear people rationalize not signing players because they are worth a certain amount, and we werent willing to go beyond that amount, esp with baseball as a sport bringing in more revenue that it ever has in the past.

Mods: I apoligize if this is Thread Hijacking, when I started writing, I didnt mean to go on.

RockyMtnSoxFan
12-10-2007, 10:45 AM
No kidding. Why on earth would you want a guy with a sub-3 era, a whip around 1, a SO:BB ratio of 4:1.

Yeah, I certainly wouldn't want a guy who posted a 2.48 ERA and .200 Opp Avg last year at Coors Field last year.

I think the Cubs' mistake was trying to use him as a closer. In a setup role, I think he does well. His numbers from last year are better than Linebrink's. I'm not arguing that he's a much better pitcher than Linebrink, just that he's better than some people think.

JB98
12-10-2007, 05:08 PM
Yeah, I certainly wouldn't want a guy who posted a 2.48 ERA and .200 Opp Avg last year at Coors Field last year.

I think the Cubs' mistake was trying to use him as a closer. In a setup role, I think he does well. His numbers from last year are better than Linebrink's. I'm not arguing that he's a much better pitcher than Linebrink, just that he's better than some people think.

I agree 100 percent. Ask Hawkins to pitch the seventh or eighth inning for you, and he's money. The ninth, errrr...., well, he struggles.

I think Hawkins is a real solid pickup for the Yankees.

HawkDJ
12-10-2007, 06:06 PM

Not sure what his stats at Coors Field matter to us. He had a 4.44 ERA and .302 Opp Avg on the road last year.

He was in the AL in 2006 and did rather horribly.