PDA

View Full Version : Buehrle's high BB to K ratio

MattSharp
04-17-2002, 09:13 PM
I have noticed so far that Buehrle has had a lot of walks in the last few games. He has been striking guys out and I don' think its a big problem, but if anyone could figure it out, I was wondering how many guys he walked have scored.....

Jerry_Manuel
04-17-2002, 09:20 PM
Entering tonight's game, Mark has walked 9 batters. He's allowed 5 runs, 4 of them being earned. He's also allowed 3 home runs.

Hope that helps in some way.

doublem23
04-17-2002, 09:57 PM
9 walks, 15 strikeouts (3:5 ration) (http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/teampitchstats?team=chw)

kermittheefrog
04-17-2002, 10:18 PM
19 Ks 11 BBs after today's game. It's looking at a little better. It's too early to make judgements based on stats.

RedPinStripes
04-17-2002, 10:31 PM
All I see is 4-0 with a very low era. I don't complain about 1 or 2 solo shots a game. Every good pitcher will give up solo shots and if it's 1 a game and not many runs after that, what does it hurt?

Pete_SSAC
04-17-2002, 10:33 PM
Walks don't amount to crap if they don't cross the plate.

- Pete

RedPinStripes
04-17-2002, 10:39 PM
Originally posted by Pete_SSAC
Walks don't amount to crap if they don't cross the plate.

- Pete

Yup. Just wasted pitches.

jklm
04-18-2002, 12:47 AM
As someone has mentioned here, the Sox pitchers have troubles getting batters out with 2 strikes. As a team, the Sox have one of the lowest strikeout ratios in the AL (122IP 54BB/68K). Fortunately, we are not hit that hard. (122IP 111H). It is still early and we will certainly improve if we can turn some of those walks into K's.

duke of dorwood
04-18-2002, 08:07 AM
Most teams hitters are patient when facing our pitchers mainly because we dont have a strikeout pitcher, and they end up with something to hit or a walk

Soxboyrob
04-18-2002, 08:51 AM
Something to keep in mind with Buehrle is that he has no qualms about pitching around a guy and giving him the Base on Balls if he feels better about facing the next guy. He has a lot of confidence in his stuff and knows that most walks don't hurt him and often turn into DP's. There are times when he's just obviously going around a guy. When those guys start scoring, I'll worry then. Although, Buehrle will stop walking guys if they start to score on him. Other notable stat....Buehrle hasn't yet allowed a stolen base and has one pickoff and no balks. It'll be interesting to see how this goes for the entire season since last year he picked off more guys than stolen bases allowed.

ode to veeck
04-18-2002, 09:09 AM
burly has turned into one tough minded pitcher, and gives credit to boomer's influence and nurturing presence last year

in a trade that seemed a wash on both sides last year, maybe this influence that helped enable burly's blossoming into the Sox ace tips the scales to the sox side on whole deal for boomer (even though neither team got zip from their pitcher on the mound)

WinningUgly!
04-18-2002, 09:20 AM
Originally posted by kermittheefrog
It's too early to make judgements based on stats.

Hey! What did you do with the real Kermit? :D: