PDA

View Full Version : Hideki Matsui to the Sox?

Rockabilly
12-09-2007, 12:56 PM
I have not heard anything from the Yankees and my agent," Matsui told Sankei Sports. "I cannot comment about any reports or rumors. I am going to think about (whether to waive the no-trade clause) only when the team or my agent calls me." Reports out of Japan suggest that the Yankees have also discussed Matsui with the Indians and White Sox.

source rotoworld

SoxxoS
12-09-2007, 12:57 PM
I am a fan of Matsui - The guy is SO CLUTCH - He has ice water in his veins with RISP.

Dont know if he fits that great here, but whatever.

JermaineDye05
12-09-2007, 12:59 PM
he'd be a nice addition to the lineup if he's healthy. I don't know much about his defense, and I don't think he's too fast. I would prefer the unproven Fukudome, just for the simple fact he could probably steal some bases for us.

gogosox16
12-09-2007, 01:06 PM
he'd be a nice addition to the lineup if he's healthy. I don't know much about his defense, and I don't think he's too fast. I would prefer the unproven Fukudome, just for the simple fact he could probably steal some bases for us.
How bout we trade Quentin, and a few prospects for Matsui and then Sign Fukdome lineup

Fukdome CF
Cabrera SS
Matsui LF
Thome DH
Konerko 1B
Dye RF
Fields/Crede 3B
A.J. C
Richar 2B

JermaineDye05
12-09-2007, 01:08 PM
How bout we trade Quentin, and a few prospects for Matsui and then Sign Fukdome lineup

Fukdome CF
Cabrera SS
Matsui LF
Thome DH
Konerko 1B
Dye RF
Fields/Crede 3B
A.J. C
Richar 2B

For a team that's getting older and older, I'm not big on trading prospects like Quentin. He may be slow, but he's a hell of a defender in the outfield. He also has tons of potential. I really think we should hold onto Quentin and see what he can do in ST.

voodoochile
12-09-2007, 01:08 PM

Fukdome CF
Cabrera SS
Matsui LF
Thome DH
Konerko 1B
Dye RF
Fields/Crede 3B
A.J. C
Richar 2B

:drool:

Boy that would really piss off the dark clouds...

santo=dorf
12-09-2007, 01:13 PM
I am a fan of Matsui - The guy is SO CLUTCH - He has ice water in his veins with RISP.

Dont know if he fits that great here, but whatever.
Just for the record:
RISP: .296/.372/.474
RISP w/2 outs: .243/.330/.367

I'd be down with Matsui. He's pretty close to being the same hitter against LHP or RHP.

Brian26
12-09-2007, 01:33 PM

Fukdome CF
Cabrera SS
Matsui LF
Thome DH
Konerko 1B
Dye RF
Fields/Crede 3B
A.J. C
Richar 2B

I don't know if I'd bat Matsui and Thome back to back. What about 3 thru 6 of Thome-Pk-Matisui-Dye. Keep the LRLR.

In fact, check out this lineup:

Fukudome L
Cabrera R
Thome L
Konerko R
Matsui L
Dye R
AJ L
Fields R
Richar L

Juice16
12-09-2007, 01:42 PM
:drool:

Boy that would really piss off the dark clouds...

Not as much as an Aaron Rowand signing would piss off the Rowan haters. And why would the team getting better piss off the dark clouds?

voodoochile
12-09-2007, 01:45 PM
Not as much as an Aaron Rowand signing would piss off the Rowan haters. And why would the team getting better piss off the dark clouds?

They'd have to stop whining...

TheOldRoman
12-09-2007, 01:47 PM
For a team that's getting older and older, I'm not big on trading prospects like Quentin. He may be slow, but he's a hell of a defender in the outfield. He also has tons of potential. I really think we should hold onto Quentin and see what he can do in ST.Quentin isn't slow at all. He doesn't have blazing speed, but he is probably faster than anyone on the Sox other than Richar and Owens.

JermaineDye05
12-09-2007, 01:50 PM
Quentin isn't slow at all. He doesn't have blazing speed, but he is probably faster than anyone on the Sox other than Richar and Owens.

Ah ok my mistake. I thought I had read somewhere that he was slow on the basepaths. Must have been mistaken.

Tragg
12-09-2007, 01:52 PM
If the Sox don't want Quinton, why did the Sox trade for Quinton?

What's Matsui's contract status?

103 screwball
12-09-2007, 02:00 PM
If the Sox don't want Quinton, why did the Sox trade for Quinton?

By the timing of the trade, I think it is possible they acquired him to make him part of a trade with the Marlins before the tigers changed the plan.

Tragg
12-09-2007, 02:04 PM
By the timing of the trade, I think it is possible they acquired him to make him part of a trade with the Marlins before the tigers changed the plan.
Then do a 3 way trade.
I think Quinton would help this year. I think we can be competitive (.500ish) with an outfield of Dye Anderson and Quinton and a bench of Fields, Uribe and Owens.

I like Matsui, but see no reason to trade young talent for people in or close to contract years (if he is in one). Dont' force trying to compete with Cleveland and Detroit this year. Now, if he's got a few years left and we can get him reasonably, sure.

WhiteSox5187
12-09-2007, 02:18 PM
Meh, I like Matusi, but right now i think the most pressing need for us is a leadoff guy and a CF and Matusi doesn't fill any of those needs.

ND_Sox_Fan
12-09-2007, 02:23 PM
Then do a 3 way trade.
I think Quinton would help this year. I think we can be competitive (.500ish) with an outfield of Dye Anderson and Quinton and a bench of Fields, Uribe and Owens.

I like Matsui, but see no reason to trade young talent for people in or close to contract years (if he is in one). Dont' force trying to compete with Cleveland and Detroit this year. Now, if he's got a few years left and we can get him reasonably, sure.

Matsui is signed for $13 million per year for 2008 and 2009.

getonbckthr
12-09-2007, 02:52 PM
Thats alot in terms of money and players for a guy that is beginning to slow down.

jabrch
12-09-2007, 02:58 PM
They'd have to stop whining...

You know better than that...they stopped for about 20 min after the world series and then picked it up right away.

oeo
12-09-2007, 03:02 PM
Then do a 3 way trade.

It's funny how Anderson's agent says that Anderson is committed to a better work ethic and suddenly everyone has the utmost confidence in the guy again.

Anderson will not get a starting job unless he has a MONSTER spring (not just a good one, it has to be great). He also needs to prove that he's grown up and is willing to listen to the coaching staff, and put in the time/effort every day.

I think if anything, Anderson will be a call-up during the season and earn a starting job, but that's about it. If I was Anderson, I'd be doing all the sucking up I could to do Ozzie and Kenny. Meet with them sometime over the next couple of months and let them know your lifestyle changes, that you're committed to the White Sox, over the attitude, and ready to earn a starting job in Spring Training. That is, of course, if it means that much to him (which I'm sure it does). Don't sit around and say, 'whatever they want to do with me is their choice,' take action.

gregory18n
12-09-2007, 09:32 PM
I really like Matsui. It seems most responders feel we will also have Fukudome in this thread, which I would love to see happen. But, if we don't get Fukudome first (or someone with speed) I think we should pass on Matsui; we need more go go in our Sox.

SoxSpeed22
12-09-2007, 09:42 PM
I don't understand what the Yankees can ask for. Our best trading piece was Garland and KW already used him. Unless they want Vazquez or Contreras back?

Taliesinrk
12-09-2007, 09:45 PM
For a team that's getting older and older, I'm not big on trading prospects like Quentin. He may be slow, but he's a hell of a defender in the outfield. He also has tons of potential. I really think we should hold onto Quentin and see what he can do in ST.

To second this opinion, I've never seen Quentin play before, but spoke with a teammate of his this past season who said that defensively the guy was top notch. What he questioned was his offensive ability. His main complaint was that he had wayyy too much movement with his (hands) at the plate. Take that for what it's worth - this guy is a pitcher.

PKalltheway
12-09-2007, 10:12 PM
I like Matsui, but he would make this team even older. We have got to keep some youth on this team.

jabrch
12-09-2007, 11:17 PM
Anderson will not get a starting job unless he has a MONSTER spring

I don't think it will depend on his ST Stats. If he is going to get the job, or even get a chance to compete for it, that will be decided long before the team gets to Arizona.

If we don't acquire a CF, and it is Owens as the leading candidate, then I am sure BA will get a chance to show the results of his work. And it isn't just measured in the 50-75 ABs he might get in ST. But he will have to show it in the cage, in workouts, etc. - because it won't just be his ABs against some of the guys he will see in the spring.

Taliesinrk
12-09-2007, 11:22 PM
I don't think it will depend on his ST Stats. If he is going to get the job, or even get a chance to compete for it, that will be decided long before the team gets to Arizona.

If we don't acquire a CF, and it is Owens as the leading candidate, then I am sure BA will get a chance to show the results of his work. And it isn't just measured in the 50-75 ABs he might get in ST. But he will have to show it in the cage, in workouts, etc. - because it won't just be his ABs against some of the guys he will see in the spring.

Is there a chance that we would end up with Owens in LF and BA in CF... together?

btrain929
12-09-2007, 11:31 PM
Is there a chance that we would end up with Owens in LF and BA in CF... together?

The only way you'd see that is 2 years down the road when they both have improved tremendously and Ozzie has that much confidence in both of them. Outside of that, you'll only see that tandom in those positions in Charlotte come April.

oeo
12-09-2007, 11:45 PM

Did you refuse to read the rest of my post, or what? I said he had to do a ton of other things in order to get a starting job. Remember the part about even meeting with Ozzie and Kenny to sell himself? Or how about the sentence right after the one you quoted?

steely712
12-10-2007, 12:02 AM
I would love to trade Quentin and som prospects for Matsui, and also make a move on getting Pierre, then I would be happy with our lineup.

1. Pierre/CF
2. Cabrera/SS
3. Thome/DH
4. Paulie/1B
5. Matsui/LF
6. Dye/RF
7. Fields/3B
8. AJ/C
9. Richar or Uribe/2B

KRS1
12-10-2007, 12:39 AM
I would love to trade Quentin and som prospects for Matsui, and also make a move on getting Pierre, then I would be happy with our lineup.

1. Pierre/CF
2. Cabrera/SS
3. Thome/DH
4. Paulie/1B
5. Matsui/LF
6. Dye/RF
7. Fields/3B
8. AJ/C
9. Richar or Uribe/2B

Pierre=:puking:

Hideki is a damn fine ball player, I just think we need to go in the other direction in terms of age. I might be wrong, but I think the Dodgers would be open to trading someone like Ethier for the price the Yanks would likely want for Matsui.

gogosox16
12-10-2007, 12:45 AM

Hideki is a damn fine ball player, I just think we need to go in the other direction in terms of age. I might be wrong, but I think the Dodgers would be open to trading someone like Ethier for the price the Yanks would likely want for Matsui.
I would much rather have Kemp or Delwynn Young than Ethier

KRS1
12-10-2007, 12:49 AM
I would much rather have Kemp or Delwynn Young than Ethier

Ditto, but from everything I read, I think it would be much easier to get Andre though. Kemp is nearly untouchable, excluding blockbuster deals for a SP, and the same goes for Delwyn. JMO of course, but that was the reason I put "someone like Ethier" instead of the others.

Zisk77
12-10-2007, 12:49 AM
You think the yanks want Crede for Matsui, with the Yanks moving ARod to 1b?

KRS1
12-10-2007, 12:50 AM
You think the yanks want Crede for Matsui, with the Yanks moving ARod to 1b?

No.

btrain929
12-10-2007, 12:55 AM

Is/can Ethier play CF? If so, i'd be interested. If not, I don't think we need to waste any other trading chips we have on any more corner OF'ers.

KRS1
12-10-2007, 01:00 AM
Is/can Ethier play CF? If so, i'd be interested. If not, I don't think we need to waste any other trading chips we have on any more corner OF'ers.

He played it here at ASU, but no he isn't a CF. Neither is Kemp(though he can play it a bit) or Delwyn, and none of them can lead-off so it's all likely a futile proposal. I was just giving an instance of how I think Hideki's price would be pretty high in a trade, and I feel someone younger and somewhat established would likely be had for a similar price.

Nellie_Fox
12-10-2007, 01:10 AM
I pay absolutely no attention to the National League, so some of you may be able to help me out here.

Several of you have spoken glowingly of Kemp. On XM Radio MLB Home Plate, one of their hosts said Kemp is a huge attitude problem and also said that he gets the worst jump on fly balls that he's ever seen.

??

btrain929
12-10-2007, 01:12 AM
He played it here at ASU, but no he isn't a CF. Neither is Kemp(though he can play it a bit) or Delwyn, and none of them can lead-off so it's all likely a futile proposal. I was just giving an instance of how I think Hideki's price would be pretty high in a trade, and I feel someone younger and somewhat established would likely be had for a similar price.

I agree. But I have a feeling that if we ever had any brief discussions about Matsui, it was before we acquired Quentin. Pursuing Matsui makes no sense for us right now. Did we acquire Quentin and give up one of our best positional prospects to put him in AAA for a year?

Doubt it. I'd imagine our next moves will be for CF, a piece or two for our bench, and an arm or 2 for our bullpen.

KRS1
12-10-2007, 01:13 AM
I pay absolutely no attention to the National League, so some of you may be able to help me out here.

Several of you have spoken glowingly of Kemp. On XM Radio MLB Home Plate, one of their hosts said Kemp is a huge attitude problem and also said that he gets the worst jump on fly balls that he's ever seen.

??

I watch a lot of NL West, and while I can't speak of his attitude problem, I can attest to his poor D. He has no future in CF, and probably is only a LF long-term.

santo=dorf
12-10-2007, 06:38 AM

??
The Sox were considered to never have any interest in Kemp because of a minor league brawl a few years which included him punching Razor Shines. I don't think their view on his character has changed after firing Razor.