PDA

View Full Version : How will media spin Flubs beating us to Fukudome?

soxyess
12-09-2007, 09:38 AM
As evidenced by DeLuca's column this morning, the Flub loving media is already jumping on the "sox will not outbid the cubs" bandwagon. How des everyone think the various media outlets will spin it when Fukudome signs with the Flubs? I can hear Moronatti now, " once again the cubs prove to be the only real player in town" Im getting ready to puke!

oeo
12-09-2007, 09:44 AM
As evidenced by DeLuca's column this morning, the Flub loving media is already jumping on the "sox will not outbid the cubs" bandwagon. How des everyone think the various media outlets will spin it when Fukudome signs with the Flubs? I can hear Moronatti now, " once again the cubs prove to be the only real player in town" Im getting ready to puke!

There have been no reports the Sox have even been serious contenders. There was one report that said they had interest (which they should; he's an outfielder and we need outfielders), but nothing that says they're going at him hard. It's apparently down to the Flubs, Padres, and a mystery team (could be us, could be anyone).

Maybe that means they're going under the radar (for the first time this offseason), but the chances of DeLuca knowing that are slim and none.

Steelrod
12-09-2007, 09:53 AM
The only competition we have with the Cubs is on the field, not in the press. Fans of the 2 Chicago teams should not concern themselves over movements, only results! Overpaying at the cost of tickets always concerns me. JR's financial saneness shows up in ticket pricing. Good tickets across town are already 50% higher than ours. And we all know the previous results!

Frontman
12-09-2007, 10:03 AM
The Sox shown interest in A-rod. Granted, they didn't get into THAT level of payroll spending; and are smart not to.

There's 30 teams in MLB. I'm sure 29 of them shown some interest (the 30th being the Marlins, who won't spend money on anything.)

dickallen15
12-09-2007, 10:09 AM
I'm sure the Sox want Fukudome if the price is right. KW hinted as much when he was asked about him and smiled and said no comment. Hahn was being interviewed on the radio the other day and he was talking about Japanese scouting. They want to keep it "under the radar". If they were going after him as hard publicly as they were Hunter and the Cubs grabbed him, it would be a PR disaster. Go after him quietly and if you get him great, if you don't, its not another public slap in the face and you move on.

Frontman
12-09-2007, 10:28 AM
I'm sure the Sox want Fukudome if the price is right. KW hinted as much when he was asked about him and smiled and said no comment. Hahn was being interviewed on the radio the other day and he was talking about Japanese scouting. They want to keep it "under the radar". If they were going after him as hard publicly as they were Hunter and the Cubs grabbed him, it would be a PR disaster. Go after him quietly and if you get him great, if you don't, its not another public slap in the face and you move on.

Actually, I think that's the way the Sox should go moving forward. I'd much rather deal with complaints like "The Sox aren't talking" versus "WAT HAPPENED WITH HUNTER? DA SOX GOT DER TEETH KICKED IN BY THE FREAKIN ANGELS?!?!? ARE U KIDDIN ME?!?!?! HOW DID DIS HAPPEN? WE WAS PROMISED HUNTER!!!"

btrain929
12-09-2007, 10:30 AM
The better question is, how will the media spin it when we DO get Fukudome, after it was wrapped, stamped, and sealed that he was going to the Northside? They'll probably say things like we grossly overpaid for him. I really hope KW doesn't short-change him contract wise because if he does play to his potential in our major leagues (ala Hideki Matsui, Ichiro), I've already stated that I believe he can do things for our team that no other OF free agent would have been able to do or agree to do (play CF, leadoff, give us high OBP, only require a 3 year contract, give us another much needed lefty in the lineup, give us a cannon in the OF, one of the coolest bat flips after a home run i've ever seen). I for one will be keeping my fingers crossed. If it doesn't happen, then I guess we have plans M, N, O, and P to start going after in Pierre, Willits, Freel, and Coco :whiner:

russ99
12-09-2007, 10:51 AM
The better question is, how will the media spin it when we DO get Fukudome, after it was wrapped, stamped, and sealed that he was going to the Northside? They'll probably say things like we grossly overpaid for him. I really hope KW doesn't short-change him contract wise because if he does play to his potential in our major leagues (ala Hideki Matsui, Ichiro), I've already stated that I believe he can do things for our team that no other OF free agent would have been able to do or agree to do (play CF, leadoff, give us high OBP, only require a 3 year contract, give us another much needed lefty in the lineup, give us a cannon in the OF, one of the coolest bat flips after a home run i've ever seen). I for one will be keeping my fingers crossed. If it doesn't happen, then I guess we have plans M, N, O, and P to start going after in Pierre, Willits, Freel, and Coco :whiner:

First of all, I think Fukudome is going to the Padres...

If the Sox somehow land him (doubtful, that's against Kenny's MO to overpay for unproven talent) I'd see him taking over RF (his natural position) and moving Dye to left. Then your other options would still be in play for CF. Fukudome could play CF in a pinch, but he's not a leadoff hitter or a prototypical CF.

Grzegorz
12-09-2007, 10:59 AM
Who cares what the media thinks, spins, or reports?

Lets see what hits the field in March 2008 and measure the team by results.

DumpJerry
12-09-2007, 11:23 AM
Fukudome will be a bust in MLB. If it happens with the Cubs, how will they blame the Sox?

Brian26
12-09-2007, 11:37 AM
How des everyone think the various media outlets will spin it when Fukudome signs with the Flubs?

Is this not a rhetorical question at this point?

Brian26
12-09-2007, 11:39 AM
First of all, I think Fukudome is going to the Padres...

I heard on either Rongey or Coppock's show yesterday that the Padres have backed down on their offer.

Rockabilly
12-09-2007, 11:40 AM
In other developments, the Padres were still waiting to learn the outcome of their bids for outfielders Milton Bradley and Kosuke Fukudome. Fukudome reportedly has decided not to play for the Yomiuri Giants and has narrowed his choice to the Padres, Cubs and White Sox.

rdivaldi
12-09-2007, 11:42 AM

Everybody should. Whether we like it or not, the media has a huge influence over popularity of teams which directly leads to revenue. Until MLB has a salary cap, the media should continue to be scrutinized by all fans.

Grzegorz
12-09-2007, 12:01 PM

Lets see what hits the field in March 2008 and measure the team by results.

Everybody should. Whether we like it or not, the media has a huge influence over popularity of teams which directly leads to revenue. Until MLB has a salary cap, the media should continue to be scrutinized by all fans.

First off, maybe I should have used the word respects in place of cares in my original post. As to the point of the media wielding a disproportionate amount of influence into which team a person becomes a fan of I'd just say do not trust everything you read, visualize, or hear.

Fans bases are mainly built on familial biases passed on from generation to generation.

As for a MLB salary cap I'd be careful what you wish for. Also, if you'd be inclined would you please explain the relationship between capping the amount of dollars spend and limiting media coverage?

FedEx227
12-09-2007, 12:16 PM
As for a MLB salary cap I'd be careful what you wish for. Also, if you'd be inclined would you please explain the relationship between capping the amount of dollars spend and limiting media coverage?

Yay salary cap, allowing crappy owners to make even MORE money and spend even less!

voodoochile
12-09-2007, 12:24 PM
The only competition we have with the Cubs is on the field, not in the press. Fans of the 2 Chicago teams should not concern themselves over movements, only results! Overpaying at the cost of tickets always concerns me. JR's financial saneness shows up in ticket pricing. Good tickets across town are already 50% higher than ours. And we all know the previous results!

How many more times are people going to repeat this tired economically unsound concept?

Higher payroll does NOT mean higher ticket prices. Higher Demand means higher ticket prices. Obviously a great way to improve demand is to spend big money on star players, but no team can afford to offset the price of a big signing by increasing their ticket prices because fans still won't go if they don't give a damn about the team.

In addition, even if the flubbies cut payroll to well below the current level, they wouldn't lower ticket prices because the idiots would still make it a highly sought after ticket.

Finally, if the Sox went on a tear and won 3 straight WS titles, but payroll remained the same, ticket prices would still soar because the fans would want to go to games and would pay higher prices to do so.

spiffie
12-09-2007, 01:20 PM
First off, maybe I should have used the word respects in place of cares in my original post. As to the point of the media wielding a disproportionate amount of influence into which team a person becomes a fan of I'd just say do not trust everything you read, visualize, or hear.

Fans bases are mainly built on familial biases passed on from generation to generation.

I promise you that the Cubs attendance is driven by hundreds of thousands of tickets sold to people who were not third or fourth generation fans. When you live in a city where so many new people are always coming in, like Chicago, you need to be able to win over those new fans. In that regard the Sox did a poor job of that from 95-2004. The last few years they have done much better in that regard though.

Grzegorz
12-09-2007, 08:16 PM
I promise you that the Cubs attendance is driven by hundreds of thousands of tickets sold to people who were not third or fourth generation fans.

I am sure some newbies become Cubs fans but do not confuse attendance to fandom. I'd bet that to many going to Wrigley to most is an event similar attending the Ringling Bros. and Barnum & Bailey Circus.

JermaineDye05
12-09-2007, 11:50 PM
Fukudome will be a bust in MLB. If it happens with the Cubs, how will they blame the Sox?

I think he'll do pretty well in the majors. I'll be rather reserved though if the Sox because I don't knot what to expect yet. I'll have to see him against major league pitching. My gut tells me though that he'll do pretty well, he can't be any worse then this guy.

HrHuh3YeWg0

JB98
12-10-2007, 12:49 AM
Here is how the media will spin it:

Fukudome goes to North Side: Japanese star realizes his best chance to win the World Series is with the Cubs.

Fukudome goes to the South Side: The Sox overpaid, and Fukudome isn't that good anyway.

DrCrawdad
12-10-2007, 01:17 AM
Cubs Sign First Japanese Player Ever In Chicago Baseball History

JermaineDye05
12-10-2007, 01:40 AM
Cubs sign him: Former MVP Fukudome hopes to lead the Cubs to their first WS in 100 years.

Sox sign him: Plan 1D Fukudome

rdivaldi
12-10-2007, 10:50 AM

I think you missed my relationship between the salary cap and payroll. It has nothing to do with media coverage, but has everything to do with limiting teams from purchasing championships based on the ridiculous amounts of money that certain teams pocket from local media reveues.

rdivaldi
12-10-2007, 10:53 AM
Yay salary cap, allowing crappy owners to make even MORE money and spend even less!

So? I could care less how much money the owners make, just like I could care less how much money the players make. I care about a level playing field where the Royals and Rays have as much a chance of winning as Evil Empire I and Evil Empire II (Yanks and Blow Sox) and about not having to pay $50 a ticket to sit in the upper deck.