PDA

View Full Version : Who is the next superstar in Whitesox trade/FA rumors?

palehosepub
12-08-2007, 11:16 PM
Who will the White Sox supposedly pursue next?

JorgeFabregas
12-08-2007, 11:24 PM
The rumor mill seems pretty quiet, but Chris Burke is a rumored acquisition and they're supposed in the running for Fukodome.

Not sure what they would want with Burke, as Richar had better numbers last year and figures to have more upside since he is three years younger.

PalehosePlanet
12-08-2007, 11:32 PM
The rumor mill seems pretty quiet, but Chris Burke is a rumored acquisition and they're supposed in the running for Fukodome.

Not sure what they would want with Burke, as Richar had better numbers last year and figures to have more upside since he is three years younger.

Burke would be in a utility role, ala Alex Cintron. It doesn't all hinge on Uribe being traded either because Burke can also play the outfield. Besides, we're famous for playing IF'ers in the outfield (Mackowiak, Ozuna, Gonzalez, Fields.)

palehosepub
12-08-2007, 11:34 PM
I heard the Sox were trading Russell for Burke. I think Russell has a lot of upside. I'm not sure I would want to pull the trigger on that.

PalehosePlanet
12-08-2007, 11:40 PM
I heard the Sox were trading Russell for Burke. I think Russell has a lot of upside. I'm not sure I would want to pull the trigger on that.

I wouldn't make that trade either. Russell, if nothing else, has the potential to become a solid setup man in the not too distant future, IMO.

palehosepub
12-08-2007, 11:50 PM
The Astros Trevor Miller declined arbitration and Whitesox have intrest in him. I like the idea i just want to know the contract details.

rowand33
12-09-2007, 12:08 AM
I'd love to have Chris Burke.

Former uber-prospect, can play anywhere on the field, decent speed.

I'd much rather have him as Richar insurance that Uribe.

gogosox16
12-09-2007, 12:10 AM
I'd love to have Chris Burke.

Former uber-prospect, can play anywhere on the field, decent speed.

I'd much rather have him as Richar insurance that Uribe.
Was he really looked upon as a uber prospect? If so then Dayum Houston screwed him up

Tragg
12-09-2007, 12:40 AM
A very nice pitching prospect for a utility infielder. What a judicious use of the one of the few good prospects we have.
We couldn't get a single nice prospect for Dye last July (or for Iguchi), so I hope we don't give one for a utility infielder.
You can get a utility infielder for nothing. We spent the last 2 years loading the bench with versatile utility players -and it was a disaster when they had to start regularly.
If Williams must provide Ozzie with yet another bad veteran with a low obp (career .319 - ouch) and no power, trade one of the bad veteran bullpen pitchers he w acquired last year.

gogosox16
12-09-2007, 12:50 AM
A very nice pitching prospect for a utility infielder. What a judicious use of the one of the few good prospects we have.
We couldn't get a single nice prospect for Dye last July (or for Iguchi).
You can get a utility infielder for nothing.
Kenny's good at giving away our prospect away though, so you got to give him so credit

rookieroy
12-09-2007, 01:00 AM
The thread says "superstar". Burke, prospects and utility infielders are not superstars. So.......to answer the question and to clarify, I guess we won't be persuing any superstars? Maybe other teams will acquire our superstars. :(:

rdivaldi
12-09-2007, 01:05 AM
Kenny's good at giving away our prospect away though, so you got to give him so credit

Really? Who?

:?:

palehosepub
12-09-2007, 01:18 AM
I've been reading a lot of threads about subjects like if you were Kenny what move would you make and if you get to be the GM til ST what would you do. Almost all of them include Konerko. I honestly don't see Konerko leaving Chicago because there is just not a deal that is good for both sides. There is the Baltimore idea but Baltimore seems to want more and PK might have Baltimore on the "do not trade list". With the Angels it is the Figgins and Sheilds deal that always comes up and the Angels over value Figgins and I don't think they are just going to give Shields away. The Dodgers trade comes up also. But the Dodgers do have a starting 1B in Nomar Garciaparra. Also the Sox want Matt Kemp but the Dodgers would rather give up Ethier. I honestly think I will see Paulie in Tuscon this March.

SoxxoS
12-09-2007, 12:55 PM

Yeah but they are all bad. The only one that has semi-panned out was Chris Young, and even he has a ways to go. Not to mention we got a #2 starter in return, so actually I think the Sox won that trade.

Its actually kind of BAD that nobody has panned out...it shows that the minor league system is in dire straights.

Huisj
12-09-2007, 01:00 PM
I've been reading a lot of threads about subjects like if you were Kenny what move would you make and if you get to be the GM til ST what would you do. Almost all of them include Konerko. I honestly don't see Konerko leaving Chicago because there is just not a deal that is good for both sides. There is the Baltimore idea but Baltimore seems to want more and PK might have Baltimore on the "do not trade list". With the Angels it is the Figgins and Sheilds deal that always comes up and the Angels over value Figgins and I don't think they are just going to give Shields away. The Dodgers trade comes up also. But the Dodgers do have a starting 1B in Nomar Garciaparra. Also the Sox want Matt Kemp but the Dodgers would rather give up Ethier. I honestly think I will see Paulie in Tuscon this March.

Actually the Dodgers have an even better starting first baseman named James Loney. I think they were pretty pleased with his .331 average, 18 homers, and 69 RBI that he gave them after they called him up halfway through the year when they realized Garciaparra couldn't hit worth a crap anymore.

SoxSpeed22
12-09-2007, 01:01 PM
Yeah but they are all bad. The only one that has semi-panned out was Chris Young, and even he has a ways to go. Not to mention we got a #2 starter in return, so actually I think the Sox won that trade.

Its actually kind of BAD that nobody has panned out...it shows that the minor league system is in dire straights.Which would then affect the way teams trade with us. Since the Sox have had a track record of prospects flopping in the majors, teams would be less willing to trade. Chris Young hasn't done much other than hit home runs against the Cubs, just about every pitcher they've traded hasn't made it yet. Ditto for position players.

gogosox16
12-09-2007, 01:03 PM
Actually the Dodgers have an even better starting first baseman named James Loney. I think they were pretty pleased with his .331 average, 18 homers, and 69 RBI that he gave them after they called him up halfway through the year when they realized Garciaparra couldn't hit worth a crap anymore.
Loney can also play the outfield

oeo
12-09-2007, 01:12 PM
Loney can also play the outfield

He's also supposed to be GREAT first baseman. Why move the potential Gold Glover to a position I'm sure he's not entirely comfortable with?

gogosox16
12-09-2007, 01:14 PM
He's also supposed to be GREAT first baseman. Why move the potential Gold Glover to a position I'm sure he's not entirely comfortable with?
To make room for Paulie of course...Gosh.

oeo
12-09-2007, 01:21 PM
To make room for Paulie of course...Gosh.

I also forgot to mention they already have a logjam in the outfield. Just makes no sense from the Dodgers' perspective.

gogosox16
12-09-2007, 01:23 PM
I also forgot to mention they already have a logjam in the outfield. Just makes no sense from the Dodgers' perspective.
We'll take Matt Kemp, Delwynn Young and Chin Lung Hu from them:D:

rowand33
12-09-2007, 04:39 PM
Was he really looked upon as a uber prospect? If so then Dayum Houston screwed him up

I remember him being highly touted.

Not projected to be at a Pujols level or anything. I think Houston was pretty high on him though. He was the heir-apparent to Craig Biggio, and I think it was expected that he'd put up similar stats to Biggio in his prime.

I also vividly remember having conversations with people in 2005 about how that Burke was going to be something special and that fantasy experts were nuts about him when he came up.

Of course, I remember Everett and Ensberg being the next big thing down in Houston as well, and I wuoldn't want either of those guys anywhere near the Sox.

rowand33
12-09-2007, 04:40 PM

Its actually kind of BAD that nobody has panned out...it shows that the minor league system is in dire straights.

Agreed. Remember Jeremy Reed?

That guy was supposed to be awesome, and he's just terrible.

the1tab
12-09-2007, 07:41 PM
Agreed. Remember Jeremy Reed?

That guy was supposed to be awesome, and he's just terrible.

I agree that all of our prospects end up as jack squat once they're gone, and that might hurt Kenny selling them for better veterans.

But all I need to say is "Chris Young" and nobody remembers Jeremy Reed.

The Sox have some good talent in the minors, they just need someone w/ a clue to break it down so we aren't trading away the good ones (Young) and keeping...Brian Anderson.

Is anyone else concerned at Josh Fields' age? I remember him as a pretty good quarterback at Oklahoma State almost a decade ago... he's a good third baseman, but he isn't a 21 year old stud we should be holding w/ white knuckles.

:gulp:

AZChiSoxFan
12-10-2007, 05:40 PM
Who will the White Sox supposedly pursue next?

Do you mean besides Roberto Alomar?

balke
12-10-2007, 05:44 PM
I'm pretty sure its Fukudome or bust for the Sox. They don't wanna overpay anyone at this point. I'd look for Kenny to see what he has in Spring Training, hope for someone to shine, and possibly make a trade if the Sox look real bad. The FA market might not be worth it right now.

It might not be a bad idea to see how the Sox look with Crede at 3B, Fields in LF, and Owens in CF in Spring Training. They could also see some more BA, and Sweeney and then either hope someone looks attractive to trade, catch lightning in a bottle and not need to trade, or prepare to trade at the deadline when the whole thing collapses on itself.

hi im skot
12-10-2007, 05:53 PM
Is anyone else concerned at Josh Fields' age? I remember him as a pretty good quarterback at Oklahoma State almost a decade ago... he's a good third baseman, but he isn't a 21 year old stud we should be holding w/ white knuckles.

Josh Fields turns 25 this month.

Zisk77
12-10-2007, 06:20 PM
So geritol would make a nice present.