PDA

View Full Version : Miguel Olivo?

DickAllen72
12-08-2007, 01:48 PM
According to MLBTraderumors, Miggy is about to be released soon.

Would the Sox have any interest in him as a backup to AJ? Would Olivo be interested in being a backup at this point in his career?

Standing Ovation
12-08-2007, 01:55 PM

Would the Sox have any interest in him as a backup to AJ? Would Olivo be interested in being a backup at this point in his career?

Didn't they trade Olivo because of his game calling skills? I doubt they'd want him back, although he'd be fairly versatile coming off the bench.

Zisk77
I hope so.

sox1970
Toby Hall is under contract. He is the backup catcher.

DickAllen72
12-08-2007, 01:57 PM
Oh yeah, I forgot about Hall. Certainly no point trying to improve over him! :cool:

Brian26
12-08-2007, 01:58 PM
I like Olivo's cannon behind the plate vs. Toby Hall's wet noodle right now. I'm sure Olivo's game calling skills have improved in the past four years. There's something to be said for a little experience behind the plate and off the bench. Only caveat is Toby Hall's contract. What's his status? You hate to eat his contract if he's still due money.

sox1970
12-08-2007, 02:00 PM
Oh yeah, I forgot about Hall. Certainly no point trying to improve over him! :cool:

The guy gets a pass for 2007. He obviously rushed back with the bad shoulder. I think he'll be fully healed by spring training and be a very good backup catcher.

DickAllen72
12-08-2007, 02:00 PM
Didn't they trade Olivo because of his game calling skills? I doubt they'd want him back, although he'd be fairly versatile coming off the bench.
Yes, that's partly why they were willing to trade him. Also part of the reason may have been because they were getting Freddy Garcia in return.

I know they wouldn't be interested in him as a first string catcher, but as a backup he is a definite improvement over Hall. Not sure how great a game Hall calls, and at least Miggy can throw the ball to second base on a line and run well enough to be a good late inning PR option for AJ.

DickAllen72
12-08-2007, 02:01 PM
The guy gets a pass for 2007. He obviously rushed back with the bad shoulder. I think he'll be fully healed by spring training and be a very good backup catcher.

I hope he loses twenty pounds by ST.

Martinigirl
12-08-2007, 02:02 PM
I like Olivo's cannon behind the plate vs. Toby Hall's wet noodle right now. I'm sure Olivo's game calling skills have improved in the past four years. There's something to be said for a little experience behind the plate and off the bench. Only caveat is Toby Hall's contract. What's his status? You hate to eat his contract if he's still due money.

Didn't he catch a no hitter within the past two years or so?

sox1970
12-08-2007, 02:03 PM
I hope he loses twenty pounds by ST.

That may help too. I think looking for a backup catcher is the last thing on Kenny's mind right now. Hall will be there.

Bill Naharodny
12-08-2007, 02:05 PM

This raises a question that I haven't seen discussed: is Hall going to be healthy? He opted not to have surgery and to rehab. The short-term results were poor; does this condition improve over time and with more rehab, or is he simply in need of surgery to make real improvement?

santo=dorf
12-08-2007, 02:06 PM
As Toby Hall's #1 critic, I'd like to compare Hall's career numbers against LHP to Olivo's.
Hall: .275/.319/.398 .717 OPS
Olivo: .291/.319/.524 .843 OPS

Remeber, Hall is considered to "mash" LHP. :rolleyes:

I wasn't impressed with Hall's handling of the pitchers last season, he's a lot slower than Miguel, and has not has surgery on his screwed up labrum.

Cut your losses and just assume that Miguel will make about $2.5 million this year (Hall's salary + Olivo's estimated salary.)

CLR01
12-08-2007, 02:06 PM
They should get Josh Paul, the Sox owe him.

soxfanreggie
12-08-2007, 02:07 PM
If we can upgrade a position in a financially feasible way, I'm all for it. However, back-up catcher is probably 5th on my list right now after CF, LF, SP, and RP of positions to acquire. In addition, we need to find a way to peddle Uribe's contract and potentially trade a 3B.

rocky biddle
12-08-2007, 02:09 PM
I can't remember what game it was, but one night last year they showed a flashback of Olivo throwing someone out and Hawk said, "DJ, when you've got one of the greatest arms ever to play the game behind home plate, you're not gonna steal many bases."

Hawk is the master of hyperbole.

DickAllen72
12-08-2007, 02:11 PM
If we can upgrade a position in a financially feasible way, I'm all for it. However, back-up catcher is probably 5th on my list right now after CF, LF, SP, and RP of positions to acquire. In addition, we need to find a way to peddle Uribe's contract and potentially trade a 3B.
I agree, but if an improvement at backup catcher is out there for the taking, why not try to grab him?

DickAllen72
12-08-2007, 02:12 PM
How do you always come up with such clever, insightful posts?

TDog
12-08-2007, 02:35 PM
Olivo would be an upgrade over Hall. The White Sox needed a backup catcher in 2007. For that matter, they needed a backup catcher in 2006. The team's lack of a backup catcher cost the team some games, both through the backups' ineffectiveness and their inability to provide enough offense to rest Pierzynski defensively.

Fans may not consider a backup catcher a high priority. And there is a chance that Hall will be an effective backup catcher in 2008. The truth is, he could be more effective than he was in 2007 and still not provide the Sox what they need at the position. If the Sox had no backup under contract and had a choice between Hall and Olivo, I am sure Olivo would preferable.

kobo
12-08-2007, 03:04 PM
The truth is, he could be more effective than he was in 2007 and still not provide the Sox what they need at the position.
Care to elaborate on this? If he is healthy this year, then he'll be able to call a game, his offense should improve, he's solid defensively, and he should be able to throw out runners. How could a healthy Toby Hall not provide what the Sox need in a backup catcher??

Frater Perdurabo
12-08-2007, 03:05 PM
Do it. I think Olivo would make a fine backup catcher. In fact, with his stats against LHP, he'd be a viable a platoon partner with AJ. Plus, he's younger than Hall and is better defensively.

Lukin13
12-08-2007, 03:07 PM
I would love to see Kenny cut his losses with Hall and sign Olivo. I am positive that this will not happen this year though... GMs rarely admit a mistake, especially prematurely. Olivo is a much better defender than both AJ and Hall; and in limited playing time the slight power boost Hall will give your lineup over Olivo has to be less apparent than his terrible defense would be/is.

guillen4life13
12-08-2007, 03:22 PM
I believe Miggy was only the second White Sox prospect to hit a home run in his first major league AB. While Hawk may have exaggerated about Olivo having one of the best arms ever, he had one helluva cannon that made other teams think twice about stealing on him. Considering the troubles the Sox have had keeping base runners in check of late (the only guy who keeps them honest is Buehrle), having a guy like Olivo in there when playing against good base stealing teams could be a very effective deterrent.

DickAllen72
12-08-2007, 03:44 PM
I see most agree that the Sox should try to get Olivo to backup AJ. What about the second question -- would Olivo want to sign on as a backup at this point in his career or is he seeking a starting job somewhere?

TDog
12-08-2007, 03:59 PM
... How could a healthy Toby Hall not provide what the Sox need in a backup catcher??

Is that a rhetorical question? A healthy Toby Hall could still prove to be a weak-hitting catcher who the opposition can run on. Players are not guaranteed to repeat pre-injury performances after their injuries heal. Players who are not injured often don't repeat past success

Chris Widger provided the White Sox what they needed in a backup catcher in 2005. He did not in 2006.

EMel9281
12-08-2007, 04:10 PM

Hilarious! :rolling:

PalehosePlanet
12-08-2007, 04:12 PM

I don't think he has the option of being interested in being a backup. At this point I don't think anyone is willing to guarantee him a starting job. He'll probably sign as a backup for backup money.

CLR01
12-09-2007, 11:44 AM
How do you always come up with such clever, insightful posts?

I am inspired by great thread topics.

ND_Sox_Fan
12-09-2007, 12:19 PM
Is that a rhetorical question? A healthy Toby Hall could still prove to be a weak-hitting catcher who the opposition can run on. Players are not guaranteed to repeat pre-injury performances after their injuries heal. Players who are not injured often don't repeat past success

Chris Widger provided the White Sox what they needed in a backup catcher in 2005. He did not in 2006.

Injured or not - he might be the worst receiver I have ever seen at the major league ranks (and this has nothing to do with the injury). He certainly doesn't help his pitchers get any borderline calls.

In short, Toby Hall is not a major league catcher.

gogosox16
12-09-2007, 12:22 PM
Injured or not - he might be the worst receiver I have ever seen at the major league ranks (and this has nothing to do with the injury). He certainly doesn't help his pitchers get any borderline calls.

But he gets a shot with the Rays that completely suck and then has a decent to below average offensive year for them and then Kenny thinks hes the Right catcher he's been looking for.

ND_Sox_Fan
12-09-2007, 12:31 PM
But he gets a shot with the Rays that completely suck and then has a decent to below average offensive year for them and then Kenny thinks hes the Right catcher he's been looking for.

We went into last offseason having had an offensive black hole at the backup position in 2006. Widger played decent defense and Alomar was just old.

Kenny tried to upgrade the position with respect to offense - probably knowing that Hall was a poor defensive catcher, but KW figured that if Hall could hit 75 points higher than the other backups, Hall would then be an upgrade. Hall had a great spring offensively and then got hurt. After the injury, he turned into a huge downgrade on defense and turned out to be an offensive downgrade as compared to Alomar (he still hit slightly better than Widger did in 2006).

TDog
12-09-2007, 02:13 PM

When I was a kid, just about every team had at least one lousy catcher. Most carried three catchers, the third being an emergency backup whose job included warming up pitchers in the bullpen.

Now teams demand more offense from their catchers, both starters and backups, and there aren't enough good defensive catchers who can hit a little bit to go around. Olivo will get a job with some team, just as Hall did and would if the Sox release him.